• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you practice?

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
This thread has made me practice more b/c of all the people who practice like 50 hours a week or something.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
a lot. trying to catch up. all you ****ers have been playing like five years -_-
Don't you just want to step into a time machine and **** all the best players when they attend their first tournies?

I'd probably still lose...I need more practice.

Neji

Smash Cadet
I play the game 2-3 days a week and when I do it's usually for around 2 hours. And 90% of that has been against AI until recently. I'm trying to master Falco and Marth right now. Falco first. On average I spend maybe 30 minutes on pure tech skill per week, but I am progressing. Over the course of a week I play maybe 5 or 6 hours.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
a lot. trying to catch up. all you ****ers have been playing like five years -_-
I have the same problem lolz I started serious smash in like September, and while Ive made massive progress (can shffl kinda (l-canceling bones me), wavelanding is second nature, wavedashing almost there), I still am nowhere in the vicinity of any good Cpt. Falcon players...like at all. I wish I had started earlier -_-

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
its not really how early you start its kinda how many tournies you go to i started playing serious summer of 2011 and have only been to 4 tournaments now i think. After every tournament i go to i feel i improved which boosts my confidence and confidence in how you play helps a lot.

Tyranny

Smash Cadet
Being a Ganon main there's not a whole lot of tech skill to practice. Mainly Ledgedashes and perfect wavelands for the dark lord. I've got the Ledgedash>Jab down to a science i just can't RLD although it's just a flashy (and sexy) tech. My wavelands are progressively getting better with about 1/5 being a perfect waveland. Over a week i'd say i get 2 hours of practice alone and 13+ hours with people

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I usually try to do at least an hour every day against CPUs, though on days off I try to get in around 4 hours or so (not consecutively). As for human opponents I'm only able to get in 3-5 hours a week, which is just disappointing.

Not enough.

JKJ

Smash Ace
About 2-3 hour sessions, about 3 times a week, with other people. About 30 minutes or less of techskill practice with CPU's every other day or so. I just started serious smash about 10 months ago, my first tournament was about 4 months ago, and I have wavedashing, waveshining, SHFFL's, L-cancels, and ledgedashes down. I don't have (m)any tech flubs anymore in matches and can even do more advanced techs like side-b shortens and shine OoS under pressure. Tech is not the part of melee I need to practice, so I only really play when I'm playing with other people. My reads are getting better, but my mental mistakes that leave me open for punishes are my biggest issue.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lately I've been really busy with school, but normally I'm able to practice 2-6 hours a day.
I try to practice a lot because i have so much catching up to do :(
unfortunately, getting good quickly is very difficult...

joeplicate

Smash Master
usually if i practice, and my heart's in it, i'm stoked enough to play for 2 hours at a time, switching between characters

if i do this 2/3 times a week then i'm in pretty good shape

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Being a Ganon main there's not a whole lot of tech skill to practice. Mainly Ledgedashes and perfect wavelands for the dark lord. I've got the Ledgedash>Jab down to a science i just can't RLD although it's just a flashy (and sexy) tech. My wavelands are progressively getting better with about 1/5 being a perfect waveland. Over a week i'd say i get 2 hours of practice alone and 13+ hours with people
I can tell you RLD is not just a flashy tech, it has it's uses for baits and get back control on stage.. it also allows you for more options to move around without necessarily attacking.. it's a great juke at times. If the opponent went for an attack while you RLD perfectly, the attack will whiff and you'll be able to get back the edge for example.. when that happens you can then ledgehop, WD in, and then get back center stage which you absolutely want with Ganon. You can also use it for faster attacks if you predict an attack from the ground.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I can tell you RLD is not just a flashy tech, it has it's uses for baits and get back control on stage.. it also allows you for more options to move around without necessarily attacking.. it's a great juke at times. If the opponent went for an attack while you RLD perfectly, the attack will whiff and you'll be able to get back the edge for example..
I'm a falco main (but I'm proficient with almost every character excluding kirby and pichu) and Ganon is one of my favorites to fool around with. How is the RLD done with him? I can manage a perfect waveland nearly every time, but I don't see how it's possible to get up high enough and move enough to set up a RLD. Any tips?

Also, I just got finished listing you in my top ten prediction for Apex 2013. THE WAAAAARRIOOORRRRR

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Used to play like 2-3 hours a day, nowadays like 6 hours a week.

I think I'm improving faster than before though because now I play with people lol

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I never practice. What is there even to practice with peach? If my float canceling is off, I usually practice it between stocks against my friends.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'm a falco main (but I'm proficient with almost every character excluding kirby and pichu) and Ganon is one of my favorites to fool around with. How is the RLD done with him? I can manage a perfect waveland nearly every time, but I don't see how it's possible to get up high enough and move enough to set up a RLD. Any tips?

Also, I just got finished listing you in my top ten prediction for Apex 2013. THE WAAAAARRIOOORRRRR
If you can waveland, RLD requires you to be even faster on the inputs.. If you were too slow, you will roll. If you didnt go in far enough, you'll air dodge and die. You have to start it as if you are wavelanding in but be pretty much instantaneous with wavedash back.

PP, I'd love to team with you and MM that fraud team... at least see how it is with you in teams.

bolt.

Smash Ace
Recently I realized how much time I need to put into this game if I want to get reeeeeeeally good so I try putting in 3 hours of melee a day by myself. I try to play with other people as much as possible. Thats usually around 3 times per week 4 hours per session. On the days I play with other people I don't practice tech skill.
If I get to play with slox I can play for 10 hours straight for multiple days, good times. =) When I play play with thecamfactor he just autopilots the whole time and then plays naruto generations with his brother. =) <3 We still get in solid smash sessions though.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
kage are you talking about ice and leffen?

that could be interesting but i've never really teamed with a ganon

maybe, they def tryin to say I'm gettin washed up already LOL

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
I play with my housemates an average of 1-2 hours a day but sometimes a lot longer when we have time. I also try to get in at least 30 minutes a day of just working on tech with various characters. When I didn't have anyway to play with I would spend about an hour a day just working on tech and moving around the stage well.

Wake

Smash Master
There's a lot to practice with Peach and most of the characters (if not all of them). You'll probably stay bad if you don't practice.

I practice about 2 hours a day.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
kage are you talking about ice and leffen?

that could be interesting but i've never really teamed with a ganon

maybe, they def tryin to say I'm gettin washed up already LOL
No need to worry, it's strategy that matters! Falco/Ganon is a great team to bring back the momentum on our side, so much interrupt potential. If you need help then just say help me and I'll come to help you no matter what. =) We can also finish combos in disgusting ways.

S l o X

Smash Champion
never alone but i hope to change that soon.

then it varies from: 1 session/week - everyday for a week straight.

i try to play at least once a week. (i try to play 24/7)

Top Bottom