• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you practice?

weon - X

Smash Ace
during my first yeaar i played so ****ing much.

now its preolly around 4-5 hours a week.

KK we need to play more

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
I don't really play anymore. But when I did play, the amount of training/time varied a lot. Sometimes I "trained" alone like 7 hours a day and maybe 4 times a week. Though it wasn't very affective since most of that time I was just fooling around doing things I can already do instead of trying to learn something new. But of course, the amount of repetition of some move is very important if one wants to master it. Then again, sometimes I hardly touched melee for weeks or so.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
About 30mins vs bots on avarage a day

Right now I'm trying to be 100% with perfect double shines during pressure on shield. I'm pretty consistent with it considering that I just started practicing it.

The bots don't shield alot but I have a timing down to account for hitlag ;)

I only play falco vs bots.

I used to spend a few hours a day when I had tons of things to learn and get consistent with

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I practiced virtually never by myself anymore, I usually find someone to play if I want to practice.

Lately though I've been practicing a little by myself, but it's mainly because I'm trying to pick up a new character for fun.

:phone:

Fuss

Smash Apprentice
Errday. At least an hour a day vs cpus, mostly for tech skill and reaction time sorta stuff, and at least around 2~4 hours a week versus people. I got all these people addicted to Melee, and I didn't have to try too hard. Aww yeee.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Not enough, by far.
There's so much I should get faster / better / more consistent at, but practicing alone is so mind bogglingly boring, I can rarely motivate myself to do it :(

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I dont practice alone i might start but dont got time and i play 1 or 2 times a week.

Nujabes

Smash Apprentice
Personally, physically practising doesn't help me much, albeit I practise maybe an hour or 2 a week. Not counting when I play with friends.

Most of my improvement come from me thinking about the game. I do this 1-3 hours a day colectively

jbro

Smash Ace
I hardly ever play alone. I feel like I learn more playing against people. However, if I learn a new technique that I didn't know about or know how to do, I sometimes take a little time to grind it out. But it doesn't take me very long to put stuff to use so its never more than like an hour or so.

Zoler

Smash Ace
1 hour a day

poweshields, waveshine OOS, routines for techskill video etc.

I probably managed about 2-3 hr nearly daily over a summer and that really established basic control of the character.

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
Once you've mastered your character, you don't really need to train all that much other than just getting the feel of your character back

Niko45

Smash Master
Pretty much never usually but for some reason recently I've been doing it a lot. I think it's really underrated but I typically have extremely easy access to good players many times a week so the time I reserve for smash typically goes towards playing with them.

LittleBoyLarry

Smash Journeyman
about 1-2 hours a day 5 days a week.

multishining, wavelanding across stages with platforms, and just playing cpu's.
need more smash buddies...

PK Webb

Smash Champion
sure there is. once u can do all that u feel is needed by your character to win because shining 109090x's at the speed of light isnt necessary.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Practice?? We talkin about practice?? Not the game, the game I give my heart and soul for... we talking bout practice?

Iverson.jpeg

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
Average of 3 days a week, I guess. I try to make my sessions as long as I possibly can, so they usually end up lasting for 3-4 hours.

Of course since I have no one good to play against all I do is practice techskill in my room lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
2006-2008 = Everyday 4-5 hours with my friend Matt mainly and also old friends.
2008-mid 2010 = Every 2nd day, 8 up to 15 hours sometimes with the elites here.
2010 to Now = Once or twice a week if I'm lucky. Sessions are usually minimum 8 hours.

I never practiced alone since I don't have melee. Things I practiced well.. whatever flowed with the game.. fixing my mistakes one by one, I tried creative BS, cool combos or cool edgeguards to see what worked and what didn't... sometimes just go all-in to get funny rewards.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
I used to put in 1 or 1.5 hour session like twice a week back when I was just learning

Now I do a 1 or 1.5 hour session maybe once every two weeks.

What I'm trying to work on is exploring baiting and perfecting the spacing necessary to bait well since I play Marth, and that's really only practicable on humans.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I don't practice as much. One, because my parents got tired of clickity clicklity CLACK coming from my room.

I should practice more though. It really does help improve.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I don't practice as much. One, because my parents got tired of clickity clicklity CLACK coming from my room.

I should practice more though. It really does help improve.
LOL
i usually only notice this at night when everyone is asleep and i dont want to wake everyone up

Weekdays 1 hour minimum

Bones0

Smash Legend
I pity anyone who thinks they have nothing left to gain from practicing on their own. My lack of human opponents forces me to largely develop my game play just based on what I can do vs. CPUs and what I see in videos. I play out a lot of scenarios practicing by myself, and they translate fairly effectively into actual matches. I've also come up with a lot of things I've never seen anyone else do before because I am constantly trying to innovate my game play, and it sort of helps that I'm in a vacuum with just myself as opposed to trying to fight an opponent and come up with stuff. Today I practiced 6 hours straight.

Kal

Smash Champion
I pity anyone who thinks they have nothing left to gain from practicing on their own. My lack of human opponents forces me to largely develop my game play just based on what I can do vs. CPUs and what I see in videos.
There is a lot of people who I am sure take issue with developing game play based on what you can do with a CPU.

I play out a lot of scenarios practicing by myself, and they translate fairly effectively into actual matches. I've also come up with a lot of things I've never seen anyone else do before because I am constantly trying to innovate my game play, and it sort of helps that I'm in a vacuum with just myself as opposed to trying to fight an opponent and come up with stuff. Today I practiced 6 hours straight.
To a large degree, I feel all of this is developed better and more fully by practicing with a competent opponent.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Well obviously practicing strategies is better vs. actual opponents, but I think it's much harder to be creative when you are playing to win vs. another human. I usually spend a good portion of my time in Fixed Camera Mode with the Name Entry glitch and I just move around the map thinking about things I can do. If you force yourself to try to be creative for an hour when you're in that sort of "solitary confinement," I guarantee you improve on something. You just have to actually focus and want to learn.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Never. I think the most time I ever spent practicing was 30 minutes to learn the hand-off chaingrab on a few characters.

L__

Smash Master
sometimes I leave the cube on running in the background so I can just run over to it and practice on and off for hours

now if i ever practice i never really pass 30 min

considering the time i've invested into melee it might be one of the best investments i've made

melee *****

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Usually at least an hour or so a day practicing combos and tech skill and junk against cpu's, with a break day every so often to prevent from burning out. I usually practice with friends whenever I can and I always play at least 4 hours when I do.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i never really practiced in a vacuum because it was kinda boring, but i played vs lvl 1 CPUs a lot

for the first two years, i probably played with lvl 1 CPUs for like, hours a day almost every day of the week

that number probably got reduced to a half or a quarter in the third year (i had to restrain myself because i feel like playing vs CPUs now just forms bad habits, but i turn on the cube and test things if i have something specific i need to work on)

nowadays, i pretty much only play with people, maybe playing with computers once or twice a week for a short-ish amount of time, but i get to play with people at least once or twice a week anyway

also, practicing tech skill between stocks is one of the best things ever

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I used to practice ****tons but now I don't. Most of yue time.I'd rather just study videos and play people. Even random *** noobs are better practice than computers.

Top Bottom