• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

Zone

Smash Champion
TOTAL QFT! If only people weren't so close-minded
It's not that most of us are close-minded. Because frankly, I already know about most of those *newly* found techs. I was hoping/being open minded to finding new techs.

But I liked melee, when it first came out. It was fun to me.
When Brawl first came out. It sadly did not rise up the same feelings.

I tried to look at the good, But the bad kept outweighing it. Frankly, sure we uncovered alot because we have alot more people. But because we have alot more people, and thinking alot smarter about finding techs. We'll find it a hell of a lot more faster than melee. And so far, I'm not that impressed by these "Advanced Techs" that are coming up in brawl. But I digress because these are personal feelings toward the game.

Until my friend comes skipping to my house about a newly 2-3 discovered techniques that will speed the gameplay up by x2. I probably won't be back at brawl.

I gotta go to bed soon. When I have time I'll list how some of those advance techs don't even really count. They are just dumb downed versions of old techs.

AKA Run, Then shield, Then grab. This WAS in melee to, it's just Jump cancel grab was better.

Or the "Anti-cling" thing or something I read. About not grabbing the ledge, by holding down to pass it. *This is in melee to >.>* Any Techs melee+Brawl share don't count they are cancelled. To weigh the games, it must be "What Melee has that brawl doesn't vs What brawl has and melee doesn't"

Also, any techs that could have be done in melee in a better fashion don't count. LIke the using the shield then grab technique to use a standing grab on ur foe when you run at them.

However I thank you though John Knight for being an intelligent Brawl defender.

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
Generic Person : " Melee is faster/better etc"

It's mainly a psychological reaction to how you overhyped yourself for brawl. If N64 was uber wtf amazingly sweet and melee released with as much hype and anticipation as brawl did, I guarantee you would feel the same way. Just like the classic overhyping of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. So many people came to Bethesda's site everyday and downloaded movies/chatted on forums and when it actually came out everyone thought it wasn't nearly as good as morrowind.

Tons of sequels/ New intstallations are just as good if not rivaling the original, but when people expect it to be all that and more is when people overhype the **** out of a great game.

i love brawl, i see no point in going back to melee.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Generic Person : " Melee is faster/better etc"

It's mainly a psychological reaction to how you overhyped yourself for brawl. If N64 was uber wtf amazingly sweet and melee released with as much hype and anticipation as brawl did, I guarantee you would feel the same way. Just like the classic overhyping of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. So many people came to Bethesda's site everyday and downloaded movies/chatted on forums and when it actually came out everyone thought it wasn't nearly as good as morrowind.

Tons of sequels/ New intstallations are just as good if not rivaling the original, but when people expect it to be all that and more is when people overhype the **** out of a great game.

i love brawl, i see no point in going back to melee.
That's because you never played melee the way the rest of us played it.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
also you further proved my point in saying this "Mario 1-3 is completely different from one another. Lost world is 4x more the difficulty. Pokemon has additions, new pokemon types, new gym leaders, new world, new combat system (double battles), move coding alterations (some moves becomes less powerful), pokemon customization and much more." ...i said that there was nothing removed only added, when in brawl there were lots removed =S...so you proved my point..
There are things removed in new pokemon games... I said the damage system is replaced. That isn't even my point... Pokemon diamond is not the same as saphire. That's my exact comparison with ario 1 and mario the lost levels...;

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
The reason I like Melee over Brawl is because Brawl is such a ****ing camp fest of sheilding, dodging, and swinging wildely hoping to get in a move. Even once you get in a move, there is rarely a time you can do anything else other than just wait for your opponent to land and the start the randomness all over again.
Because of this, projectiles are now more important because you can attack from a safe distance from the roll/sidestep flurries.

The only thing admirable about Brawl is that it is somewhat fun to jump off stage and ledge guard, but with that stupid new air dodge, your opponent can almost always simply say "nope" and make it back just fine.

And then there is the character that was made despite what the metagame focuses on, and his name is Pit. His arrows are the ultimate spam move, and are even worse than Falco's lasers. His attacks are all lighting fast, so being able to dodge them is quite a challenge. And you can't ledge guard him well either because not only does he have 3 mid-air jumps, he can use his glowing wings to go wherever the **** he wants to.

"Give it some more time" is ridiculous to say as well. There is hardly any chance there will be a technique discovered to gimp shielding, dodging, and air dodging. There is hardly going to be a way to get around flurries of projectiles either.

If anything, there are going to be MORE defensive manuvers. I played melee because how excitingly offensive it was. Kill or be killed was the general idea of Melee. In Brawl it's who can stand dancing in circles the longest...

iNiGhTmAr3

Smash Apprentice
The reason I like Melee over Brawl is because Brawl is such a ****ing camp fest of sheilding, dodging, and swinging wildely hoping to get in a move. Even once you get in a move, there is rarely a time you can do anything else other than just wait for your opponent to land and the start the randomness all over again.
Because of this, projectiles are now more important because you can attack from a safe distance from the roll/sidestep flurries.

The only thing admirable about Brawl is that it is somewhat fun to jump off stage and ledge guard, but with that stupid new air dodge, your opponent can almost always simply say "nope" and make it back just fine.

And then there is the character that was made despite what the metagame focuses on, and his name is Pit. His arrows are the ultimate spam move, and are even worse than Falco's lasers. His attacks are all lighting fast, so being able to dodge them is quite a challenge. And you can't ledge guard him well either because not only does he have 3 mid-air jumps, he can use his glowing wings to go wherever the **** he wants to.

"Give it some more time" is ridiculous to say as well. There is hardly any chance there will be a technique discovered to gimp shielding, dodging, and air dodging. There is hardly going to be a way to get around flurries of projectiles either.

If anything, there are going to be MORE defensive manuvers. I played melee because how excitingly offensive it was. Kill or be killed was the general idea of Melee. In Brawl it's who can stand dancing in circles the longest...
Yeah I definitely agree with this post. I feel Brawl is WAY more defensive than Melee. The characters are slower (except for Sonic and Squirtle) and more floatier than the characters in Melee. I feel that it is a game with more strategy rather than risk taking. I do like Brawl because it is somewhat fun and there is a lot of stuff to do, but it is still not as good as Melee. Melee will always be more competitive, but I will continue to play both.

Oh and cool signature btw. lol

OnettSphere

Smash Cadet
Indeed, Brawl does feel floaty
I just switch back and forth from each game
There isn't a better one
They each have advantages and disadvantages

Polish Rifle

Smash Cadet
My favorite of the series is still Smash 64. I played Melee for a while but I didn't like the speed of the game, nerfing of the throw, and the way the air dodge worked.

So with skipping Melee and going straight to Brawl I don't really have a problem with Brawl. I like the variety of characters and the balance that Nintendo has tried to establish between them. The air dodge has been modified which is good. I don't understand you guys saying that you can't play this game competitively. What game can you not play competitively? I have been in numerous leagues and tournies for TONS of games out there ranging from NES to Xbox and I don't see why Brawl can't be played at a competitive level.

I can see how Brawl appears to be a party game but back in the day when I started playing Smash 64 I thought the exact same thing. 6 months later, my town was having tournaments and you had to have put in your time to be a contender. Have fun mastering Brawl all you Meleers!

ToRn_PaTh

Smash Apprentice
Brawl makes my IQ drop 50 points after playing it for 50 minutes. I think I have to keep switching off - go to halo 3 and melee, then back again to brawl.. but I'll probably quit brawl soon. The next time I will even touch it is when my friends come over to my house

ToRn_PaTh

Smash Apprentice
Exactly, Polish Rifle.. You never even liked or tried to get good at melee. You would never understand the difference between a "deep" level of gameplay vs a "party" game.

Brawl = great party game
Melee = great deep game

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
They made brawl a bit too defensive. Anyway, I still like it better than melee. I am not a fan of combos though, so it makes sense I like brawl better. Brawl is like chess, and melee is like tennis. I of course like tennis and chess. Tennis gets intense and is more about how fast you move, pinpoint accuracy, applying the pressure and fooling your opponents while making sure you don't get fooled yourself. Defensive tennis is a viable strategy, but aggressive tennis used to set up the winning shot is the better approach.
Chess is about countering your opponents strategy, playing defensive or aggressive(though defensive and looking for holes is generally the best strategy). You try to evade every offensive action, and jab back until the perfect counter opportunity arises, and you attack with a deadly result.

So are you a chess guy, or a tennis guy? I enjoy tennis and would love playing everyday, but there is something about chess that just gets my mind excited with all the possibilities, and trying to get past impregnable defenses.
I never had to think as much in melee as I have to in brawl. In melee, players needed to practice their AT's and combos and use them to win. In Brawl, I have to figure out how to deal with my opponent which each battle between lives being much more even, as just making lots of combos and using crazy AT's to dominate the opponent is no longer an option. In melee, players would never exchange many blows until one died. Each melee kill was always whoever could get their combo initiated first that resulted in a kill. In Brawl players may take turns hitting each other 15+ times until one dies for the first death. Brawl is more of a mixed martial arts match than two ninja's fighting(melee).

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
I love both just hate the balance between the characters in melee...
although I've been hearing a lot of exchanging problems like the above poster... From all the top contenders I've seen, I don't just see an exchange of blows with this chess like gameplay O.o.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Brawl sucks..........Halo 3 sucks.........kind of a sad year for advanced videogames.
Whats even more sad is that Halo 3 is better than Brawl............you have no idea how much it pains me to say that.

Umm, it's apples and oranges, at least at the moment. Brawl's meta-game has barely been started. Melee's is almost fully known, basically, if not fully known. And stop expecting a meta-game to randomly pop-up. Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, in case you didn't get the memo when it was called "Super Smash Bros. Brawl". There will be new techs. Hell, there's already dozens of new techs. Overall, I think in time Brawl will be better. More balance, better stages (actually good stages on average; the average Melee stage blows [compared to Brawl and smash 64, especially]), more balanced items (oddly enough >_<), and diffrent gameplay. More simple gameplay, yet more complex at the same time. I definitely like Brawl more at this point then I did with Melee. >_>

For the final f***ing time though, a meta-game just doesn't pop-up in the first second. It is developed over years. Stop being 4chan steriotypes, and play the god d*** game for some of you Brawl-haters because it's not Melee 2.0. New game, new physics, new moves, new techniques. God d***, this is the dumbest thread ever. Some of you are making 4chan look smart. :laugh:
Johnknight, I respect you as a member of our community, but I have to say that you really don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Spouting follious arguments like "Melee 2.0." and making an analysis based on melees meta-game development doesn't sound so hot either. Sure, it's a new engine; That doesn't automatically make room for more potential, especially if the mechanics of the game were changed in a fruitful attempt to narrow the gap between a veteran, new player or non gamer alike.

Please don't support Brawl for what it isn't based off of those presumptions (New game=New/better mechanics). It's blatantly obviously that this game isn't targeted towards the same audience as melee. Nintendo's new demographic is aimed towards the mainstream consumer, and ultimately, it indirectly affected the smash bros. series.

To sum it up:

Like the game for what it is, but don't blind yourself from the obvious in hope that you can ignore a reasonable conclusion.

I'm done.

t3hggnore

Smash Rookie
Yeah in my circle of melee-players, brawl has gotten nothing but negative reception. Removal of wavedashing, l-canceling? Bad news. On top of that, all the characters are floatier, but it's near impossible to get a good kill at 100%.

Although on the plus side, I don't think the characters are as balanced as people would like to think. Even though they took out a lot of the stuff that made melee so competitive, there really might be new (note that new does not mean better) meta-games revolved around the characters, kinda like what jk1 said except in a more acceptable tone. And there might be more mind games revolved around air-dodging? Just a speculation.

In the meantime, I'll just try to accept the best of both worlds =]

Yeah in my circle of melee-players, brawl has gotten nothing but negative reception. Removal of wavedashing, l-canceling? Bad news. On top of that, all the characters are floatier, but it's near impossible to get a good kill at 100%.

Although on the plus side, I don't think the characters are as balanced as people would like to think. Even though they took out a lot of the stuff that made melee so competitive, there really might be new (note that new does not mean better) meta-games revolved around the characters, kinda like what jk1 said except in a more acceptable tone. And there might be more mind games revolved around air-dodging? Just a speculation.

In the meantime, I'll just try to accept the best of both worlds =]
I can see where you're coming from, but here is some food for though:

L-canceling, JC Grab, JC shine, dashdancing, float cancel, crouch cancel, old Fox d-throw and other things were in the E For All demo. Not to mention moderate hitstun. The final product has none of these. It seems as if the nintendo reps payed more attention to us than we though, other than not allowing us to get footage.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I can see where you're coming from, but here is some food for though:

L-canceling, JC Grab, JC shine, dashdancing, float cancel, crouch cancel, old Fox d-throw and other things were in the E For All demo. Not to mention moderate hitstun. The final product has none of these. It seems as if the nintendo reps payed more attention to us than we though, other than not allowing us to get footage.
And Flame canceling don't forget that XD

Man its sad to think that Nintendo actually had something at least moderately competitive and then decided to scrap it for this......."figthing" game.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
i find myself getting bored while playing brawl, even with other humans =O. this has never happened with melee. brawl's hit-and-run style gets old fast

VEC

Smash Journeyman
Most fo you here probably miss Melee because your Main charaters like SHEIK, FOX, MARTH got worse.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
aside from the fact that it's too early to make a tier list, i agree...
sheik is bad now... fox=eh... and marth is the scariest thing known to man...
just pick marth and Fair over and over... then mix it up with the occasional Fsmash...
hahahah you can't get through that wall of pain (jiggs FTW)

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Most fo you here probably miss Melee because your Main charaters like SHEIK, FOX, MARTH got worse.
I'd like to present another idiot of the year award to this guy. I didn't know it was possible for more than one person to win a title like that but a lot of you deserve it.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I love this just because its ridiculous to think how many times someone has told ME this. ME! Do you see my avatar? My sig? My Name? That little icon under my avatar that shows who I main? What gives people the impression that I DON'T play the worst character in Melee? I still like Melee over Brawl too.

TRE1

Smash Apprentice
okay, i just have to throw in my two cents. I'm not trying to argue anything here, just my opinion...

everyone is keeping their fingers crossed that some technique will come out and make the gameplay better. I was one of those people until I quickly realized that its not going to happen. With melee, all they did was make a video game. Then the players took the game and made it into the melee we all know and love.

Now the difference is, with brawl the developers saw what we did with melee and built the game from the ground up with the melee style in mind. They took some things they liked, and tossed what they didn't. Point being, melee was a very fluid game, filled with potential and near limitless possibilities. Brawl on the other hand is very rigid and plays by a very strict and narrow set of rules predetermined by the developers.

all in all, everything about brawl is superior except the one thing that matters....gameplay
I'm not anti-brawl. believe me, I wish it was good.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
okay, i just have to throw in my two cents. I'm not trying to argue anything here, just my opinion...

everyone is keeping their fingers crossed that some technique will come out and make the gameplay better. I was one of those people until I quickly realized that its not going to happen. With melee, all they did was make a video game. Then the players took the game and made it into the melee we all know and love.

Now the difference is, with brawl the developers saw what we did with melee and built the game from the ground up with the melee style in mind. They took some things they liked, and tossed what they didn't. Point being, melee was a very fluid game, filled with potential and near limitless possibilities. Brawl on the other hand is very rigid and plays by a very strict and narrow set of rules predetermined by the developers.

all in all, everything about brawl is superior except the one thing that matters....gameplay
I'm not anti-brawl. believe me, I wish it was good.
Wow, that's exactly how I feel about brawl right now. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I've already gone back to playing melee more then Brawl, and it's only been 2 weeks since I bought brawl.

Top Bottom