• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Wow, that's exactly how I feel about brawl right now. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I've already gone back to playing melee more then Brawl, and it's only been 2 weeks since I bought brawl.
haha me too

if only melee could be easily put online :ohwell:

Keiran

Smash Rookie
I don't really see the difference between games. I like both games equally and I am in no way dissappointed by brawl. I think it is a great game just as melee was and is.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I was trying to play Brawl and be like "I'll try to find something to make it better" and all optimistic but honestly...Brawl is like football to rugby plus the whole camping issues. Anyone that says brawl is better is in denial, not competitive, or sucks at Melee and seems to be 'good' at Brawl.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
I felt really miserable when looking at Brawl. It seemed slow, not cool and not even all that better Graphic-wise. It was just a sort of Slow-mo Melee mode in which all the "nice" glitches I put effort in to learn were taken out.
Then I played it (I don't have it yet and played it at a friends house, since I live in Europe and don't want to screw around with my Wii by using a freeloader) and came to the conclusion it is fun to play and that there are things you can get better at, as I started out losing to the friend who played it for a day then at the end of the day I kept beating him. So there are some combo's, but truth stays that there isn't as much to learn as in melee. The depth is gone, it's more of a Mario Kart now that you play for fun (I think).

I hope that either Brawl kinda dies or that new techniques (something as revolutionary as the wavedash) will be discovered in the near future. I read and saw something about shielddashing that would be useful to learn, but there should be more cool glitches and things that are possible to master :)

That said I think I'll keep playing both Brawl and Melee for a while. Brawl at my friends house and Melee at home against some other people who don't have Brawl yet. I will have as much fun playing either of the games I think, but the feeling that Melee gave me when I first played it I will never get when playing Brawl.

Zeke_

Smash Journeyman
Brawls ******** physics makes me wanna punch a baby :mad:

i was playing brawl with my friends the other day and we got bored and decided to play some melee. It felt as if the ball and chain was released and we could move again.

as far as im concerned the ladder goes like this : brawl<SSB<SSBM

wats more exciting than a falco ditto in melee anyway =p

melee FTDUBZ

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
okay, i just have to throw in my two cents. I'm not trying to argue anything here, just my opinion...

everyone is keeping their fingers crossed that some technique will come out and make the gameplay better. I was one of those people until I quickly realized that its not going to happen. With melee, all they did was make a video game. Then the players took the game and made it into the melee we all know and love.

Now the difference is, with brawl the developers saw what we did with melee and built the game from the ground up with the melee style in mind. They took some things they liked, and tossed what they didn't. Point being, melee was a very fluid game, filled with potential and near limitless possibilities. Brawl on the other hand is very rigid and plays by a very strict and narrow set of rules predetermined by the developers.

all in all, everything about brawl is superior except the one thing that matters....gameplay
I'm not anti-brawl. believe me, I wish it was good.
**** I'm glad you're with me on this one. Funny because Adam likes this better than Melee what a nub right lolz?

Uck

Smash Journeyman
What a disaster.There are so many options a competitave player has.For example they can play counter strike or Halo even Melee and theres a plethora of other games deemed worthy of ones time.

Brawl will not attract the key player base needed to launch its success in the tournament scene.The game will get boring wither and die very soon.

Right now Brawl is surviving and riding on Melees success and the Smash Boards.

kario_mart

Smash Cadet
What a disaster.There are so many options a competitave player has.For example they can play counter strike or Halo even Melee and theres a plethora of other games deemed worthy of ones time.

Brawl will not attract the key player base needed to launch its success in the tournament scene.The game will get boring wither and die very soon.

Right now Brawl is surviving and riding on Melees success and the Smash Boards.
i dont believe that brawl will die soon. its still a worthy game, just i mean not as good as melee. if i didnt have melee i would play brawl. brawl has more stuff. like, wifi, more unlockables and more characters. brawl is good. worth the buy but not as good as melee.

Dartht33bagger

Smash Rookie
I just played brawl at my friends house for 5 hours last night and I've got to say its not that great. Its an ok game but its much slower paced. Also not to mention link looks and sounds really gay, I wish they would have used the character model from melee for him. Link is my favorite character so this makes playing him pretty hard.

Brawl seems very slow paced though, and people like pit and ike are way too powerful. Well pit isn't so powerful but he can get back on the map from almost anywhere, which is pretty cheap. Ike is just too powerful altogether, all of his attacks do a lot of damage, and if you get something that is good with him its very hard to beat him. I'm playing melee right now and I've got to say I'm going to stay with melee. My mom wants a wii for christmas this year so i was planning on getting brawl for it (only wii game i though would be good, guess i was wrong). I most likely wont waste the money now.

I'm dissapointed in brawl. Melee was a step up from the first game, and brawl is a step back from melee. So I don't know what i like better, I almost like the original smash bros game over brawl. Maybe its my first response but so far I'm not liking brawl.

AXE 09

Smash Master
man, i just love melee so much better than brawl. i've been playing brawl a LOT lately, but... i don't know why, but it just gets so boring. i mean, it's a fun game and all, but i just think melee's so much better. when i play melee, i could play for hours and hours without ever getting bored. strange how it's not the same in brawl.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Same... My friends and I played brawl for an hour yesterday, got bored, and played melee for the next 6 hours.

this is completely random but I hate when people complain about advanced techniques.

TRE1

Smash Apprentice
**** I'm glad you're with me on this one. Funny because Adam likes this better than Melee what a nub right lolz?
WHAT?! oh man. I haven't seen or heard from zecsi in eons. I figured he wouldn't take to it being such a tech oriented fox player n all. maybe hes still in the honeymoon phase of the game like i was for about the first hour or so.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Gnosis said:
God I was getting so sick of Melee too. Saw all the avenues Brawl had to become -better-.

But nope. Instead it's just... shockingly bad. In a lot of ways.

I mean, I still like it. But I can't shake this surreal feeling like I'm having a terrible nightmare when I play it, like I'm gonna wake up and Brawl's amazing.
QFT

It's not as easy to sit and play for hours like melee was. We used to have people just come up and play with us, and then come back for more the next day at out college. Now they'll come and play.... and that's about it. We won't see em for a week or two, and they might play, or just might stop in and say hey.

Well, to explain we bring a tv or two at our college, set it up at the student center, hook up a cube or two (well a wii or two now) and play.

I mean it's a fun game, but only for FFA's. Our group used to play melee for hours on end, and we'd switch back and forth between playing teams, singles, and FFA's, depending on who was switching out. Singles are so dull in brawl there's no point. We just play FFA's over and over. I used to miss class for this. Now I don't even feel it's worth it = (

I'm not saying I'm going to abandon brawl or quit playing it, but.... it's just that at the moment Melee is more fun to me, so at the moment Melee is better. I'm not going to lie to myself and say, "SHUT UP BRAWL'S NOT BETTER YET BUT IT WILL BE!" Everyone in this thread, and all over the boards has been pretty much saying, "It'll get better!", but doesn't that eliminate the point of a video game? If the video game isn't that fun, why should we FORCE ourselves to play it!?

Yes, stuff will be discovered. Will it be discovered on purpose? Probably not. It'll probably be on accident. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe nothing else will be discovered. This is all there is to Brawl, just the characters and their moveset.
If thats it, then I don't know if I'll be sticking around to much for Brawl with the physics like they are..... Maybe high grav brawl.

Also, the *******s took out doc.

Also Also, the more stuff argument is the stupidest argument I have ever seen. Look here's some ****! Wait, here's some MORE ****! Sweet! This is obviously better than the first pile, because there's more! Stop using it. Seriously.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
oooh... grrrr.... ^^^^^^^

i just hate how much easier brawl feel...
i wasn't great at melee, and i worked my arse off to get there...
but brawl... it feels like i'm pretty good at it already and i barely care about it...
i can hold my own against people who would **** me in melee...

Skler

Smash Master
Every time I play Brawl with competitive players we end up playing (or wanting to play) Melee after an hour or two. I really wish Brawl was a solid competitive game, but it isn't.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
WHAT?! oh man. I haven't seen or heard from zecsi in eons. I figured he wouldn't take to it being such a tech oriented fox player n all. maybe hes still in the honeymoon phase of the game like i was for about the first hour or so.
What else is funny is that he said he wasn't about tech although his fox was more technical than the average Fox lol. I think he's just confused, I hope he's readin this right now xD.

Sascratch

Smash Rookie
I think its less an issue of "competitiveness" and more of an issue of fun.

I think the better player is gonna win the match in brawl just as they would in melee but the problem is that there are significantly less "OH SNAP!" moments in brawl. Those ridiculus moments when everyone in the room would scream is what made melee so great and what brawl is seriously lacking.

This is almost entirely due to the lack of hitstun in brawl. I think that was the single biggest mistake with the new physics. Chipping away at someone while baiting attacks into shield grabs/drops and eventually spacing yourself for a smash attack kill off the screen is just less fun to me than fluidly and creatively comboing someone across the level and finishing with a spike or whatever and barely making back to the stage . . . at which point, you'd say: "oh snap" . . . and im seriously missing my "oh snap" . . .

BlackPanther

Smash Ace

I think the better player is gonna win the match in brawl just as they would in melee but the problem is that there are significantly less "OH SNAP!" moments in brawl. Those ridiculus moments when everyone in the room would scream is what made melee so great and what brawl is seriously lacking.

This is almost entirely due to the lack of hitstun in brawl. I think that was the single biggest mistake with the new physics. Chipping away at someone while baiting attacks into shield grabs/drops and eventually spacing yourself for a smash attack kill off the screen is just less fun to me than fluidly and creatively comboing someone across the level and finishing with a spike or whatever and barely making back to the stage . . . at which point, you'd say: "oh snap" . . . and im seriously missing my "oh snap" . . .
Haha I like this post, it's so true.

al-x_clip

Smash Apprentice
personally... i don't i prefer brawl. i think a reason was because i sucked at melee and never really got "good" and with brawl im a decent player but what i didn't like was tripping and the floatyness of the game but thats just my opinion.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Well if you were wanting to be good but didn't want to put in the time and effort that Melee required and now you found a game where you don't have to try then you don't deserved to be called a gamer, just a casual. If you want to be good at somethin then you should have to work for it, not wait for it to fall into your lap like Brawl, *sigh*.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace

i agree with this almost completely...

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
About the oh snap moments... I TOTALLY AGREE

I described that exact concept in the brawl version of this thread, defining it as "holy f***" moments.

There's just something about those crazy moments, especially ridiculous spikes.

My friends and I used to play 4 way suicidal falcon fights, where all out aggression was the name of the game... you risk everything for awesome spike and knee kills. It was SO awesome to get a triple spike kill (and then die in suicidal glory), or chase somebody who was already doomed and spike them just before death to steal a kill...

And just in general matches, there were so many awesome moments. Brawl just doesn't have that. What is there to get excited about? Final smashes (which you wouldnt even play with if you're a melee affectionato)??? Well timed fsmash or ftilt?

It's just dull.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings

Best post in topic. I remember the time when I did a 0 death combo ending in an off stage falcon punch. Too good,......................too good.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
dude... who says you have to move on?
a few of us played melee today...
and we were all having fun just running around moonwalking and waveshining and double jump cancling...
it was tooooo fun... i play brawl... but not seriously...

my friend likes to compare me to a 40 year old guy who used to play high school football and still brags about it all the time... but i think there are alotta people like me who play brawl, just because everyone else is... and they still like melee...

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I don't care if I never play Melee again. I hated that game and got tired of it halfway through my Melee career. I just kept playing cause I <333 tournament environments and hangin' with my buddies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Well if you were wanting to be good but didn't want to put in the time and effort that Melee required and now you found a game where you don't have to try then you don't deserved to be called a gamer, just a casual. If you want to be good at somethin then you should have to work for it, not wait for it to fall into your lap like Brawl, *sigh*.
lol?

I worked hard at Melee and I did decent. I never placed below top 32 except at the two FC's I went to, and I won a decent amount of money.

When Brawl came, I started working harder and now am doing quite well for myself.

Also, if you haven't noticed, there are consistent winners across the entire country. Brawl isn't random, nor is it "easy". The good players are still winning.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
The good players are still winning.
which makes the whole situation even more ridiculous because the outcome doesn't change. it's just more boring to get to that outcome. melee was fun because of the combo improvisation and the numerous options available in a given situation. brawl has less of all of that.

the main reason people are playing brawl is because it's a newer game.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
which makes the whole situation even more ridiculous because the outcome doesn't change. it's just more boring to get to that outcome.
I couldn't agree more

it's like, Sakurai wanted to make a game non-competitive, which is so ridiculous. Rock Paper Scissors can be, and is a competitive game. It's a virtual inevitability that a popular game will become competitive, so all Sakurai really managed to do was dumb the game down. He didn't "save" any of the poorer players, there are still just as many winners and losers, they're just winning and losing at a different, less interesting game. Which is the only way that Brawl won't be competitive; everyone becomes so disinterested in the campy metagame that they start dropping out.

Top Bottom