• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
You contradict yourself. You say you prefer the old consoles, but you claim to like Brawl because you "understand that gaming evolves." If you're old school, wouldn't you prefer Melee? If you like evolution, shouldn't you love the shiny new consoles?

And we do not fear evolution. In fact, why should we even fear anything? The concept of "fearing" something related to video games is ridiculous.

And god****, Brawl isn't evolution. It's a step backwards.

If we cannot progress, we stay with what is best, and at the moment, that is Melee.
He is saying he is oldschool but understands that he needs to move on.

Also Brawl isn't a step backwards. It's a step forwards. It's a different game to Melee, but a step forwards. Why? .... Because Melee has problems.

In Melee there are only like 3 stages that are tournament-worthy. On top of that its the same 2-3 characters that come out winning the tournaments. I'll get to the point, gameplay-wise its an extremely unbalanced game. Everyone on these boards seems to main a different character which shows that this game is more balanced making it a "fairer" game in a sense. Most people on Melee just play as Sheik, Marth, Falco or Fox and then theres the minority that play as Peach and a few others.

People argue that Melee is superior because it has advanced techniques and is faster. Obviously, with Brawl you can't implement advanced techniques and speed - it's a different ball game. It is purely impossible to play Brawl at a fast pace and use advanced techniques. Smash has changed and people need to develop their own styles and techniques and forget anything from Melee if they wish to have a good time playing Brawl either for just fun or competitively.

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
Well if you were wanting to be good but didn't want to put in the time and effort that Melee required and now you found a game where you don't have to try then you don't deserved to be called a gamer, just a casual. If you want to be good at somethin then you should have to work for it, not wait for it to fall into your lap like Brawl, *sigh*.
So your saying a pro (at Brawl) could be beaten by someone that has just picked the game up?

curiousthoughtsbear

Smash Apprentice
Hmm brawl is different eh. Name one thing in brawl that can be done that has furthered the pace of competitve play that has no equivalent in melee.

HMM...............

Then name all the tech they took out that has resulted in a slower pace of competitive play

Realize that brawl is not a very different game, fundamentally. The goal is the same and the means to getting to that goal is predominantly the same. The problem is that it's the specifics that defined melee beyond the common theme of the smash bros series to a point where a certain level of tech became fundamental for the average competitve player. In removing all those nuances they brought the game back to square 1.

The above is true for ssb64 as well, however the scale of competition during melee's reign did not exist for 64 and thus tech was not as ubiquitous.

Think back now, did that happen between ssb64 and ssbm..........not quite.
As I remember it, much of the tech of 64 was expounded upon and modified to make the game relatively faster and more interesting. Whereas in 64 combos led to certain death an element of guesswork is involved in melee. Think of the ability to move and modify the shield in melee.........why on earth would anyone want that out of the game ??? It was basically a statement that not enough people utilized it effectively, so lets just take it out kinda thing. BULL****/bs, it's a pity all y'all dont actually know many of the nuances in the game to be debating anything but what you perceived. And this is just one example !

In other words brawl IS a lesser version of melee, sorry to break to you all who actually think you're playing a very different game. Don't be fooled by the sugar coating of extra characters, wifi, etc... etc....

I will say one reverent thing though, the single player vids are pretty sweet.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I wasn't gonna contribute to this, but what ellelaby said about fairness because you see different characters is just wrong. I find it strange that the same people who say the game is more fair "just look at all the diversity", etc. often defend brawl using "we just started we know nothing about the game yet" That is all.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
I wasn't gonna contribute to this, but what ellelaby said about fairness because you see different characters is just wrong. I find it strange that the same people who say the game is more fair "just look at all the diversity", etc. often defend brawl using "we just started we know nothing about the game yet" That is all.
i agree... you are now my friend...

Most people on Melee just play as Sheik, Marth, Falco or Fox and then theres the minority that play as Peach and a few others.
wow... i believe that everyone is ignorant (at least a little bit)
i don't agree with that, but i know why you said it...
tourney results tend to be dominated by those four characters...
but they weren't when the game was as new as brawl is now...
in time, brawl tourney winners will narrow down to like 3 or 4 characters... (same as melee...)

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Yeah, Brawl will probably be dominated by Pit, Metaknight, Marth, Toon Link and Wolf mains after a month or two.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
well... give it more time...
and we will see who they are...
and pink reaper, everytime i see one of ur posts, it's (in some way) about how you main kirby.
hahahahah nice1

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
So your saying a pro (at Brawl) could be beaten by someone that has just picked the game up?
Yes that is exactly what I'm sayin. Sakurai leveled the game out to bridge the gap between serious competitors and casuals and he did a hella good job at it too. Noone isn't a pro yet and there won't be because everyone will be a pro at this game.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
He is saying he is oldschool but understands that he needs to move on.

Also Brawl isn't a step backwards. It's a step forwards. It's a different game to Melee, but a step forwards. Why? .... Because Melee has problems.

In Melee there are only like 3 stages that are tournament-worthy. On top of that its the same 2-3 characters that come out winning the tournaments. I'll get to the point, gameplay-wise its an extremely unbalanced game. Everyone on these boards seems to main a different character which shows that this game is more balanced making it a "fairer" game in a sense. Most people on Melee just play as Sheik, Marth, Falco or Fox and then theres the minority that play as Peach and a few others.
Needs to move on? Why? For a game that is shallow, slower and simpler than its predecessor? Brawl will grow a tier list and it will be exactly like every other fighting game in history, with games that have only 1 fighter the sole exception.

When that is over with what does brawl have left of what you seem to love and hold so dear? SSE is finished, your casual friends will get bored with it (as all games), the graphics doesnt dazzle you anymore, the gameplay too shallow for the people made up the community past the 2 year line.

The hype for brawl is similar to the counter-strike vs counter-strike:source issue. CSS IS not a better game. Period. It has simpler gameplay (smaller spreadboxes while firing, walls barely shoot-throughable etc.) pretty much like brawl.
It was made to please the wide mass, nintendo dont give a shit about their competitive players, they dont want anything to do with them. Heck, they even give interviews saying that they dont intend it to be played outside a small group of friends and all that brawl should be is, quote, "fun".
Random is not fun. FFA's are not fun. I wanted another melee and nintendo put great effort to NOT make it so, for the sake of the nintendo kid fanbase.

Kizmmit

Smash Cadet
Yes that is exactly what I'm sayin. Sakurai leveled the game out to bridge the gap between serious competitors and casuals and he did a hella good job at it too. Noone isn't a pro yet and there won't be because everyone will be a pro at this game.
Hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha.... Oh what, you were serious.

Kizmmit

Smash Cadet
I'm not trolling, I just find it hilarious that you think that everybody will be of the same skill level at Brawl, kind of funny how people who were scrub at Melee Adv. Tech will use the 'BRAWLZ IS BALENCED IT MEENZ DAT DOZE PPLZ CANT SPAM WAVEDASH AND LCANCEL TO WIN"
(Just slightly exaggerated :p) excuse. There will always be 'Pros' and there will always be scrubs e.g You.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
No, once everyone realizes that the campy characters are the only viable characters and everyone starts usin them then how can you tell the difference? Everyone will be labled a pro or everyone will just be labled a scrub lol.

Popuri

Smash Apprentice
When I get Brawl I'l 100% it then go back to melee.

(might use it occasionaly for an online match with distant friends).

melee wins

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Brawl is like Melee on easy mode.

Recovery is on easy mode.

Dodging, since it's reducing to side stepping and rolling is on easy mode.

There's no canceling..... but several very good characters with zero no lag like Samus or Metaknight. So they are on easy mode. Laggy characters like DK are possibly more worthless than ever.

I went to training mode..... and realized there isn't anything practice in this game. It's all too simple.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
well... give it more time...
and we will see who they are...
and pink reaper, everytime i see one of ur posts, it's (in some way) about how you main kirby.
hahahahah nice1
Seriously, I've had probably about 40 people tell me that I don't like Brawl because they nerfed Fox/Marth. Its just beginning to get on my nerves.

Also, its not like I DON'T like Brawl, its pretty fun in short bursts, especially because it has online, its just that without any real depth the game basically degrades down to doing the same thing over and over with just about every character, so more often than not I just play Melee.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
Seriously, I've had probably about 40 people tell me that I don't like Brawl because they nerfed Fox/Marth. Its just beginning to get on my nerves.

Also, its not like I DON'T like Brawl, its pretty fun in short bursts, especially because it has online, its just that without any real depth the game basically degrades down to doing the same thing over and over with just about every character, so more often than not I just play Melee.
i couldn't agree more...
i like brawl...
(mostly because all my friends play it)
but i wish all my friends would rather play melee...
i know i would...

p.s. nerfed marth?!?!?! my balls... he still *****. hahahaha

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
i couldn't agree more...
i like brawl...
(mostly because all my friends play it)
but i wish all my friends would rather play melee...
i know i would...

p.s. nerfed marth?!?!?! my balls... he still *****. hahahaha
Dude, come down south, we can play Melee here XD

Also, marth is worse. Like, instead of being 100% pure **** sauce he's like 99.9998% **** sauce. Also, I actually hate Brawl Kirby, it makes me sort of sad :(

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
I think marth got a boost in Brawl. He's got all the gay characteristics of Melee with the floatiness he can spam more hits and he still has one of the longest range of physical attack out there, he's pretty **** in Brawl lol.

BOTA

Smash Apprentice
its not that i like melee more, im just mad when someone who hasnt played, being able to pick up a controller and like get a few kills on me (im not a noob :p) then in melee i could destroy them, so ill say melee is WAY better for 1v1 then brawl is like a party game

HiIH

Smash Lord
I hear Doc makes almonds infinitely more tasty.

Wait... ****, wrong thread.

I hear doc Melee makes almonds infinitely more tasty.

There, fixed it.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
I now officially quit brawl. After going to numerous melee tournaments and playing competitive for over 3 years, I now realized how perfect melee is. Brawl sucks so bad, i destroy everyone at melee, yet some idiot spamming with zelda's special >b was able to beat me when i was playing as Marth in brawl. The game is bad, its really bad. Brawl is like puddle deep, while melee is like ocean deep. I went back to melee and it was so much faster paced, Brawl is dead to me, im not quitting smash bros melee. Im going to keep going to tournies, lets keep this godly game alive!

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I can't say that you're right or wrong but... zelda's forward b? you just sucked.
truth'd.

Brawl isn't all bad. Melee is eon's better, but it's not like a terrible game if you intend to enjoy it. I went to a smashfest today, and all we played was Brawl. I guess if you're not constantly looking for Melee, Brawl will be enjoyable. I still prefer Melee though.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
I can't say that you're right or wrong but... zelda's forward b? you just sucked.
Yeah a noob would say that, you dont understand you idiot, brawl is nothing like melee, im a really good smash player, i dont suck . Your comments are idiotic just like most peoples. Im trying to make a point, it wasnt only that move ofcourse, its was the spamming of 3 or so moves. Are you even good at melee? do you understand how bad brawl is? i dont think you understand, ofcourse you dont, how the hell would you know?

DinsSpammer

Smash Rookie
I now officially quit brawl. After going to numerous melee tournaments and playing competitive for over 3 years, I now realized how perfect melee is. Brawl sucks so bad, i destroy everyone at melee, yet some idiot spamming with zelda's special >b was able to beat me when i was playing as Marth in brawl. The game is bad, its really bad. Brawl is like puddle deep, while melee is like ocean deep. I went back to melee and it was so much faster paced, Brawl is dead to me, im not quitting smash bros melee. Im going to keep going to tournies, lets keep this godly game alive!
Sounds like you should work on your Marth some more. :laugh:

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Yeah a noob would say that, you dont understand you idiot, brawl is nothing like melee, im a really good smash player, i dont suck . Your comments are idiotic just like most peoples. Im trying to make a point, it wasnt only that move ofcourse, its was the spamming of 3 or so moves. Are you even good at melee? do you understand how bad brawl is? i dont think you understand, ofcourse you dont, how the hell would you know?
How can you assume 50 things (exageration) about me when I posted 1 sentence... Dude I've played melee longer than you and I have played the original 64 version and melee still play them up to this day.
If you're having trouble with marth fighting zelda spam (which implies the zelda isn't so great...) that means your not really good at the game.
:ohwell:
Don't look at me and call me names I'm not the one who lost to a spamming zelda.

Anyways I know brawl is nothing like melee, tell me something I don't know. You're saying that like you just made a discovery... it's probably why you lost, you thought that because you think you were good (if ever you were) in melee you'd be equally good at brawl.

By what you posted and replied you just seem like a sore loser...

Btw for your future post avoid putting words in other peoples mouths.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
I don't know about you guys but I definitely think that zeldas foward b is a lot better now, the blast radius, the range, and the control of her foward b is a lot better now. Plus a lot of moves have priority. I will admit I did get ***** by it for a little bit till I realized that I'm better than zelda and just ***** her after that, but yeah...

Skler

Smash Master
Have you seen din's fire in brawl? **** has a hitbox about 4 times too big and comes out fast. A smart player can just camp and win, approaching sucks in Brawl.

Melee is way better than brawl.

Top Bottom