• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

Cookiez

Smash Ace
I'll ask you one question. what is more frustrating between this and that:

A)getting owned by 50 sheik dashes in melee, when your oppenent just keep doing it on you, it's like you gotta wait 1h before you can actually move or watever, and don't tell me I sux if that happened, nah, it's just that when you get bowser and the other one gets sheik it's very easy to get caught by his dash.

B)having the time to actually fight before always getting comboed in the air and not be able to move for about 5 mins. Even tough when you combo in melee it almost kills you everytime...

What I don't understand is that you don't understand how brawl is way more superior then melee.
Lol, I find it hillarious when AgonY posts. Why is it that everyone who seems to prefer Brawl to Melee talks as if they know absoultely nothing of competetive smash?

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I find it hillarious when AgonY posts. Why is it that everyone who seems to prefer Brawl to Melee talks as if they know absoultely nothing of competetive smash?
Brawl is a party game that is fun at scrub level of play and CURRENTLY doesn't have any game play depth to make it competitive.

Melee is a very tried and trued game, its been around for over half a decade :lick:, that is competitive with quite a bit of depth.

People who haven't played melee competitively or just smash in general are bound to like brawl more because it is a better game on the surface.

To conclude, I like both Melee and brawl for different reasons, but I'll need a few months before i make a final decision.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Hmmm, L canceling is dumb because try and do something like that in real life. When you jump you can't do any movements at the last min just before hitting the floor, it would be really stupid to do so. You would just fall and hurt yourself, then why can you do that in melee.It's a pure stupid thing that they added, thus why there is none in Brawl and SSB64 >.>

Miharu

Smash Hero
Hmmm, L canceling is dumb because try and do something like that in real life. When you jump you can't do any movements at the last min just before hitting the floor, it would be really stupid to do so. You would just fall and hurt yourself, then why can you do that in melee.It's a pure stupid thing that they added, thus why there is none in Brawl and SSB64 >.>
Z cancelling was in SSB64, and it removed all landing lag from aerials instead of halving it.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
I played SSB64 for 2 months 2 months ago and I saw no one doing the L canceling, even the clan members guys. Perhaps you're right yet, I saw no one doing it...

Anyway, I'm bored of arguing on new school games. if I am to argue, then it's gonna be on something worth it >.>

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
@Agony - That post didn't make sense at all. I only understood the first part and it looked like to me that you were comparing Melee to real life. Uh hello this is a game why are you even comparing the two?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
What...the...hell...

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings

So you can double jump IRL right?

Dude, you have no idea that you have no idea what you're talking about.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Probably, it'd be the "new game" and everyone would go to play it. Then advanced techs would be discovered, and people would start playing it competitively. People would recognize that Brawl didn't have competition and say that Melee was better because of it.

That's probebly not the best answer, but, then again, it was a stupid question.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I'm going to agree with you that Brawl Single player blows the socks of Melee's Single player. Extra options are Also way better than melee.

However Competitive Scene, Brawl is a step down. Brawl Lost A LOT of things Melee had. Allow me to list them.

1.) Powershielding (To reflect projectiles)
2.) Light Shielding (To cover body better, and for spacing when hit)
3.) L-cancel (To lower the lag on aerials so your not shield grabbed EVERYTIME you aerial someone who has their shield up. Especially awsome for characters with little range.)
4.) Wave Dash/Waveland - Coolest tool used for baiting, traps for approaching, on ground level.
5.) Dash Dance - nearly same uses as Wave-dash and even better combined for baiting, fake approaches, tricks. Sure it's still in brawl, but it's so small it's nearly useless, and you can trip doing it now.
6.) Ledge stalling - To keep yourself safe from people coming back from the dead who are invincibile. Or waiting for an opening to safely come back into the stage.
7.) How useful can fast fall be after short hop, if you can't lower the lag on landing anyways.
8.) Triangle Dodge - the act of being able to control your airdodge to dodge a smash attack and punish after landing on the ground immediately.
9.) Edge Teching? - Not sure, but I don't think someone can tech the wall after your smashed attack away from the wall. Like Falco's and Fox's have to learn vs marth when he's Fsmash happy on fox's and Falco's who fail to sweet spot.

Now for the THings Added in brawl that make it less competitive.
1.) Tripping (Who wants to lose a match, because you randomly trip when you are about to combo your opponent on his last stock into your f-smash only to find out you trip, and he nuetral air's you to your doom. and thousand dollars were on the line cuz it was the last match in the brackets.) NOTE: This addition would not be so bad if you could SOMEHOW keep this from happening. say like RIGHT when your about to trip hit like L or something and continue forward. But nope, no power over it. Atleast in Melee when peach randomly pulls a turnip you have power over NOT getting hit by it.

2.) Multiple Air dodging: Sounds cool at first. But all we are doing here is making ledge guarding more of a useless technique. It's like you might as well just wait for you opponent to come back in. Now it's not really THAT bad. But it does limit ledge guarding tactics quite a bit. Ledge Guarding is also gimped because of how easy it is to sweet spot with alot of characters.

3.) Infact sweetspotting is so much easier. How can you appreciate someone's skill when everything for him is made easier?

4.) In Melee when you made a mistake, you get punished hard. Not so much in brawl because of the low combo-ability. Sure brawl still has a few nice combos.

I don't get how you can really think, taking away competive tools, and adding non-competitive ones, Can constitute for brawl > Melee. Because we all know Fighting games are most fun against people, not mindless CPU's that suicide (Yes they still do this in Brawl, I won Even match 41 with jigglypuff by hanging outside the stage as mario snake killed themselves, Not sonic though his recovery is too good.)

IMO Brawl is a fun friend party game. Ment for friendlies. It's fun when I play with my friends with items ON. Because funny silly things happen, and it makes me laugh.

In Melee, IMO it's most fun when playing 1v1 with someone who is nearly as good as you are, or better. With ITEMS OFF. Even though melee still has it's funny/fun item matches as well.

Your tool shed is more fun to use when you got more tools in there. Not when you build a BRAND new tool shed with less tools in it. Sure it's a new tool shed, But it's missing alot of it's tools.
Single best post in this thread.

Best101

Smash Ace
However did you play Smash64. Sure it had grabs that could ko, and Z-canceling (if you even knew about that in during that time, where computers aren't as popular as they are now), but the game is still really, really fun to play. You can't just say Brawl can't be good competitively even with how bad it looks right now. Let's give it 3 years (how long was it when you we found advance techs in Melee?) before we can justly say that Brawl can't be competitive.

@those people saying "my friend played Brawl and he said it sucks." Well I say that everyone I know who has played Brawl over my house who loved Melee, are saying "Brawl ***** Melee in everyway possible." They were casual players, but I'm really competitive in Melee, and I'm saying that Brawl is much better than Melee.

Omega Nintendo Dude

Smash Rookie
Meele is fun but it's too easy and I see people hating Brawl over it. (over the huge differences*points to posts refering to things that brawl lost*)
Personally it challenges me than Meele than my old repeated tactics.
Brawl is like a new step to challenge skills rather than easier in the past in my idea.

Meele did help me find advance techs and Taught me everything I knew well.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Meele is fun but it's too easy and I see people hating Brawl over it. (over the huge differences*points to posts refering to things that brawl lost*)
Brawl is like a new step to challenge skills rather than easier in the past in my idea.

I can't even comprehend what the **** this post is trying to say.

How the **** is Melee "too easy"?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
It's funny because I mean, i have fun playing brawl

I think melee is more competitive

but it seems that the people who argue for melee's case IE my side of the coin have made huge posts arguing true facts about what makes melee more fun to them, and why brawl CAN'T be as competitive with these key aspects being out

The people who argue for brawl
Have no idea about either game.

Fletch

Smash Master
No, Brawl is best game in series and best game of all time.
You really backed up this statement well, I'm surprised more people aren't paying attention to it. Joining this month too, I bet you played Melee a ton competitively and really know all about it.

crazysh0cker

Smash Rookie
I don't know why, but I see threads like this as an attack against Brawl.

I just registered for this forums but I have been reading alot on it before I even joined and most of these threads seem to hate on Brawl for one reason, and that is the fact that you can't even advance tech in it anymore.

You people have to realize that Brawl is an entirely new game and it was just released, and while the old techs are gone there still may be a chance newer ones come up.

I myself haven't been much of an advance tech person but even still I find both games fun to a certain extent, however I prefer BRAWL by far over melee.

Advanced techniques for MELEE haven't even came out around its released date, it make take just as long for Brawl, who knows...

rubiksfriend

Smash Apprentice
Fool! (crazyshocker) Even the most basic of techniques found in ORIGINAL SMASH are missing. Z/L-cancelling was meant to be in the game! Translate the original website and see for yourself. Also, Melee exanded from the original, adding many techniques and depth. Brawl does just the opposite: it takes away from the depth of Melee and awesome combos found in the original. Now, Brawl techniques, to the extent of Melee techniques, in terms of depth and use, will not be found. In Melee, techs were found by accident. In Brawl, different story.

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why, but I see threads like this as an attack against Brawl.

I just registered for this forums but I have been reading alot on it before I even joined and most of these threads seem to hate on Brawl for one reason, and that is the fact that you can't even advance tech in it anymore.

You people have to realize that Brawl is an entirely new game and it was just released, and while the old techs are gone there still may be a chance newer ones come up.

I myself haven't been much of an advance tech person but even still I find both games fun to a certain extent, however I prefer BRAWL by far over melee.

Advanced techniques for MELEE haven't even came out around its released date, it make take just as long for Brawl, who knows...
it's not that we hate brawl because we can't use advanced techs, it's because some of things in the game we think just...make it less competitive. The huge example with this is tripping >_>. Come on, that seems silly to me. I enjoy playing brawl, but i'm not sure if i will get involved with it the same way. Melee was so much fun to play competitively and i'm sad about some of the changes they made. Brawl is still a great game though.

It's funny because I mean, i have fun playing brawl

I think melee is more competitive

but it seems that the people who argue for melee's case IE my side of the coin have made huge posts arguing true facts about what makes melee more fun to them, and why brawl CAN'T be as competitive with these key aspects being out

The people who argue for brawl
Have no idea about either game.
this is because most of the people arguing brawl, got on smashboards the day brawl was released and imediately started defending "the game the descended from the heavens". >_>...lol but yes i agree with you.

Roxaslawliet

Smash Apprentice
So you can double jump IRL right?

Dude, you have no idea that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Thank you murarangan! also irl when I get hit with a sword I fly 50 feet into the air and have mass amounts of lives!

I like both games personally but I honestly enjoy playing melee more. While final smashes are cool looking, they weren't worth buying the game (one of my friends bought solely for this reason). another reason I like melee more is because it seems smoother to me, brawl seems choppy to me in certain aspects. Another issue I am having is the C-stick, it doesn't respond a lot of the time and when it does it's slow, yet it works perfectly well on other games on the wii as well as my gc so it's not the controller. another thing is definatly tripping. WTF were they thinking when they put that in, this is quite possibly the most annoying mechanic of a game i have ever seen. but, despite all of this I do enjoy playing brawl, but I enjoy melee more.

was there really a need to take the old advanced tech out? no0bs could still play melee and have fun with it but pro's could also have fun playing against other people of similar skill level (I personally enjoy watching Neo's roy Bombsoliders falco and ken's marth)

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings

How the hell is brawl more challenging than melee? It requires absoultely 0 tech skill and combo skill. Do you have any skill in Melee? Because anyone who makes that kind of statement can't be good enough to see how much more skill it takes to play Melee than Brawl.

Chexr

Smash Ace
Brawl is so dull and boring. Everyone is saying wait time for it to evolve. Evolve to what? It has no depth. It has no variation. It has absolutely nothing but mindless party replay. It's not a challenge, it's not even **** enjoyable.

I went into the release of brawl ready to put down melee. I was ready to call it quits even if that meant taking out all the things I found fun from melee. For sure they would replace them with something right? Not one single thing was added to brawl gameplay. Not one. Unless you want to count the ever so tiring smashballs.

Melee did so much right. The depth and complexity. There were so many offensive and defensive ways to fight. Even though the character balance was so horribly bad there was such variation among play styles and battle strategies between different players it didn't even matter. Brawl takes that all away. In Brawl its what you see it what you get, a more slow, boring jigglypuff ditto where in the end its not fun to play, its not fun to practice at, and in the end it wont last the test of time. I played brawl for about 5 days straight and now I'd rather not even touch it again. Will brawl last people 7 YEARS? Hah give me a break. I give it maybe two years tops before people move on and go back to melee.

Zone

Smash Champion
I completely agree with you Zone. Too bad all of the people who went from Melee to Brawl likes everything to be done for them.
yea infact two of my newbie friends who never chose to try and learn advanced techs like the game. because of the following reasons.
1.) They aren't getting 4stocked by me anymore. (they still lose)
2.) They never used advanced techs anyways so it's like they forced me to play at their level.
3.) I'm willing to bet my house, If they learned to play at a high level, they would share the same opinion as me on melee > Brawl for competitve scene.
4.) Now they don't have to think as fast, when i'm dancing around them with fast characters. They can play more relaxed like it's a game of BattleShip.

Single best post in this thread.
Thank you for recognizing it. It seems all the hardcore brawl defenders, are scared to argue with my post. Because frankly it's impossible to argue with facts. Someone could argue my look on multiple air dodges probably. But for the most part, They dodged me.

And for the people saying "Wait 3 years"
It took us so long to break down melee, because
1.) people weren't excessively trying hard to find ways to make the game deeper. (like we are with brawl... desperately hoping to find a ground breaking technique to make the game awsome (Unlikely).
2.) Most fighting games are pretty cut and dry with their physics. Smash on the other hand had odd physics for us to work with. So we found some exploits eventually and started hardcore breaking the game down.

Why I don't think brawl will get that much deeper?
1.) We know what to look for in Smash's odd physics for a fighting game now.
2.) The community grew way larger than when melee first started. So we have ALOT more people to try and break down the game. (with so many people, and still hardly any advanced findings looks like we are on a run for a break through not happening.)

This is why I doubt we'll find depth for brawl. I believe brawls gameplay potential will/can be reached in like what it takes to get 1/50th of melee's potential (Probably exaggerated).
But I been playing melee with advanced techs for like 3 years, and still not satisfied with my skill level. Shows how long the bridge to awsomeness really is.

BTW: I think the JIgglypuff ditto is like the best example of how I feel when I play brawl HAHA, nice analogy.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Brawl is extremely fun and beats Melee in every single way.
Dude, seriously, your a bad troll. I've seen good trolls and you, you are not one of them. I see you attempt this in SOOOO many threads, but the problem is that your just not that intelligent. You have no idea what it takes to annoy someone, you have no idea how to study who it is your trolling and you use the most basic, low level types of trolling(XXXXXX Sucks, I like XXXXX more than XXXXXXX) You seriously need to lurk the **** more before you attempt to troll again.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
I can't even comprehend what the **** this post is trying to say.

How the **** is Melee "too easy"?

lmao melee is probably the most technical fighting game ever made

brawl obviously isnt but give people time to tear into it

if melee didnt come out people would be ****ting their pants over brawls revolutionary gameplay

and even still brawl is a very complete game, one of the best nintendo has made in a while

fin

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
i don't get why people are looking for some sort of game-breaking technique that will make brawl playable in a competitive manner because at this point i do not believe there is any sort of hope for the game as a fighter at all. partly because extreme lengths were taken by the developers to prevent such a thing from happening and partly because of the nature of the game itself.

the first major issue with brawl as a competitive fighter is - and i'm aware this has been said before - tripping. tripping being random is a problem purely because of the unexpected, uncalculated nature of it. it essentially adds a factor you cannot take into consideration during a game, similar in the manner of an item. if items had a set spawn pattern, they would likely be considered for gameplay (provided explosive crates could be removed, which is now possible) but - for better or worse - they do not behave in such a fashion. items were removed because they added a random, uncontrollable element. tripping is no different (in this way). however, there's no "off" switch for tripping.

now, naturally, the counter argument for that is that melee had uncontrollable factors like game & watch's 9, luigi's misfire and peach's dreaded stitch-face (among others). however, the stitch face was something you could see them holding, with a calculated percentage (that was generally adhered to, unless you happened to be facing DarknessOfHeart). 1/300 (or whatever it is) is not particularly game-breaking, especially on a character like peach (not top tier). even with the stitch luck, she was far from best character. and it only came up against peach. moreover, you could work around the stitch. you could pressure her, force her to waste it, etc. peaches tend to want to hold onto their death turnips, so you could use that to pressure them into bad situations where they either "wasted it" to avoid a grab or they held onto it and took it. ultimatums are lovely things. the misfire and 9 can have stronger arguments because you can't really see them coming, but they were on such incredibly weak characters that nobody gave a fuck. plus there were some rules on the 9 anyways; you can't get 2 in a row and such. so there was some sort of procedure to weigh your odds of getting one. i think the gaw boards have some formula for the first 2 judgments concocted somewhere but i digress. the two weren't game-breaking. and neither was stitch. and something had to happen to instigate the possibility of them.

tripping is the reverse. it happens with everyone, it can be spontaneous, and it happens with no real pattern. this is not conducive to a competitive environment because nobody wants to lose to chance. again, we get back to why items are banned.

the next issue is the idea that a glitch will make brawl competitive. while it is true that such a thing could exist, there lies the issue that there is still no hitstun in this game. people break out of combos and such long before the second move (or third, some characters can link 2 moves) ever becomes relevant. this is bad because this nullifies a chunk of what lag reduction did (laggy moves is a problem). suppose you find a way to "glitch" half the lag off your aerials. does this really help? approaches become much more viable, which is good, but there still lies the issue that brawl is a poking game and still rewards turtling much more than attacking.

a glitch will not make brawl awesome. and if one does, it will have to be one hell of a glitch. brawl has knocked out the technical requirement almost completely, its combo requirement is almost laughable and its mental requirement isn't particularly taxing when it's so hard to be severely punished for, well, anything.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
i don't get why people are looking for some sort of game-breaking technique that will make brawl playable in a competitive manner because at this point i do not believe there is any sort of hope for the game as a fighter at all. partly because extreme lengths were taken by the developers to prevent such a thing from happening and partly because of the nature of the game itself.

the first major issue with brawl as a competitive fighter is - and i'm aware this has been said before - tripping. tripping being random is a problem purely because of the unexpected, uncalculated nature of it. it essentially adds a factor you cannot take into consideration during a game, similar in the manner of an item. if items had a set spawn pattern, they would likely be considered for gameplay (provided explosive crates could be removed, which is now possible) but - for better or worse - they do not behave in such a fashion. items were removed because they added a random, uncontrollable element. tripping is no different (in this way). however, there's no "off" switch for tripping.

now, naturally, the counter argument for that is that melee had uncontrollable factors like game & watch's 9, luigi's misfire and peach's dreaded stitch-face (among others). however, the stitch face was something you could see them holding, with a calculated percentage (that was generally adhered to, unless you happened to be facing DarknessOfHeart). 1/300 (or whatever it is) is not particularly game-breaking, especially on a mediocre character like peach (mid tier). even with the stitch luck, she was far from best character. and it only came up against peach. moreover, you could work around the stitch. you could pressure her, force her to waste it, etc. peaches tend to want to hold onto their precious death turnips, so you could use that to pressure them into bad situations where they either "wasted it" to avoid a grab or they held onto it and took it. ultimatums are lovely things. the misfire and 9 can have stronger arguments because you can't really see them coming, but they were on such incredibly weak characters that nobody gave a fuck. plus there were some rules on the 9 anyways; you can't get 2 in a row and such. so there was some sort of procedure to weigh your odds of getting one. i think the gaw boards have some formula for the first 2 judgments concocted somewhere but i digress. the two weren't game-breaking. and neither was stitch. and something had to happen to instigate the possibility of them.

tripping is the reverse. it happens with everyone, it can be spontaneous, and it happens with no real pattern. this is not conducive to a competitive environment because nobody wants to lose to chance. again, we get back to why items are banned.

the next issue is the idea that a glitch will make brawl competitive. while it is true that such a thing could exist, there lies the issue that there is still no hitstun in this game. people break out of combos and such long before the second move (or third, some characters can link 2 moves) ever becomes relevant. this is bad because this nullifies a chunk of what lag reduction did (laggy moves is a problem). suppose you find a way to "glitch" half the lag off your aerials. does this really help? approaches become much more viable, which is good, but there still lies the issue that brawl is a poking game and still rewards turtling much more than attacking.

a glitch will not make brawl awesome. and if one does, it will have to be one hell of a glitch. brawl has knocked out the technical requirement almost completely, its combo requirement is almost laughable and its mental requirement isn't particularly taxing when it's so hard to be severely punished for, well, anything.
Whoever told you that Peach was mediocre and mid tier lied to you.

Top Bottom