• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
wow ur post count is intimidating.

I do know about Sakurai making this a party game, he doesnt approve of competetive play(thats what tripping came in for). But the topic isnt stating anything about competitive play. Brawl is still a good game, but its just my opinion.
Numbers in your post count don't matter. From what I get from your relatively lower count is that you're newer and you weren't around here when Melee was dominant. Again, master Brawl and you will never want to turn back to Brawl.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
rofl brawl more balanced? ROFL

I'm sorry I thought this was the melee section not the humor section.
Like I mentioned, Brawl is more balanced within it's characters, but game play wise, Melee has more balance between offense and defense. You have more options in Melee to counter your foes moves, in Brawl your in a hit and run situation.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The problem with the balance debate seems to be that alot of people don't understand what it is they're arguing. Alot of people are saying "Brawl has more usable characters, therefore it is more balanced" but this is the wrong way to look at it. Brawl may(or may not, we don't know yet) have more usable characters, but the difference between the best and the worst is staggering in Brawl. In Melee, low and even bottom tier were usable(see chudat's Pikachu, Y.Link and G&W KDJ's Pichu, Dire's G&W, Fumi's Yoshi) and even saw tournament use(once again, see those players use low/bottom tier IN TOURNAMENTS) However in Brawl, Garbage tier is made up of exactly what it says, garbage characters, characters that will more than likely NEVER see use in tournaments.

Aesir

Smash Master
I'm sorry but I find it incredibly funny when people say the characters are more balanced because theres more usable characters. When in reality all these so called usable characters will be cycled out when the ***gotry characters become more defined.

If you can't camp or approach (only like 3 characters can approach in this game.) then the character sucks.

Leiferouis

Smash Rookie
Itd be awesome if they could release an optional patch that makes the game more like melee (ATs and faster) to download through wii's online options. Probably not though.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I personally like the Brawl physics engine. Mainly, I'm happy that there is NO wavedashing... that was the main factor I hated about Melee... whats the fun in a fighting game if you just dodge and nip each other with reflectors.
The simple fact that Wavedashing existed hindered you from liking Melee properly? I mean, what evils did it ever do to you? If you didn't like it, just don't use it... or play players who do. It's like playing Soul Calibur III and hating Guard Impacts because you keep doing the same predictable GI-able strings over and over again. Or those horrible juggles from Tekken 5.

wow ur post count is intimidating.

I do know about Sakurai making this a party game, he doesnt approve of competetive play(thats what tripping came in for). But the topic isnt stating anything about competitive play. Brawl is still a good game, but its just my opinion.
"I like the game" =/= "It's a better game than X"

I like Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4, I like its gameplay. However, I would never claim that it's better than Tekken 5 as a fighting game, despite the fact that I don't play Tekken 5 at all and dislike its gameplay. Because I'm not as conceited as to say "My favourite games are better than yours".

Weimdog

Smash Journeyman
The first time I played Brawl I got a sinking feeling in my stomach, because I knew it was nothing more than a party game. I already have Super Monkey Ball for the Wii, so I don't really need to buy Brawl. I'll just save for Mario Party XVII or whatever it's at now.
I was hoping for a continuation to a great fighting game, and was disappointed. I don't mean to bash Brawl, I understand that it's fun... but it didn't feel right as a fighting game. Long live Melee, I hope I can find people to play against.

Edit: Oops.
It's strange to us

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
I personally like the Brawl physics engine. Mainly, I'm happy that there is NO wavedashing... that was the main factor I hated about Melee... whats the fun in a fighting game if you just dodge and nip each other with reflectors.
I just saw this now: in your last paragraph, you perfectly described brawl: dodge and nip at each other with quick attacks. No one likes those games.

Which is why people love melee and hate brawl >_>

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
So your saying spacing ISN'T that important and mindgames DON'T exist?
They are there, just that when spacing or mind games are involved, in other competitive fighting games people would have more options vs Melee.

In general your going to be seeing the same poke being used over and over.
Not to mention the mind games in Melee are very weak. Landing your hit is only easy due to some of the strong pressure you can put onto your opponent.

And the learning curve for the most part is nothing more than short hopping a normal and L-Canceling it as you fast fall.
Thats perty much how the game is ran.

Well, I could say that other fighters aren't deep, they're just popular, and the supposed "Depth" is nothing more than dial-a-combo button memorization. I'd be wrong, but unlike you, I'd be willing to admit it.
What are dial combos and name some fighting games that have them.

How is this the deepest fighting games if there are alot more complicated fighting games especially when Street Fighter 3 Alpha and Third Strike is so much more deep. And Melee is one of the deepest fighting games out there. GG is probably the deepest fighting game out there, but Melee is no slouch and actually has a scene in a America. lol
You have no idea what actually makes a fighting game deep... do you?
From reading the post, it looks like you have on idea about other fighting game scenes in games in general.

Ah, oh well.
Ignorance is bliss.

mog87

Smash Ace
LOL " I like brawl better because I suck and can get results rolling and spamming smash attacks and projectiles..also I cant be punished as easily cause I can like airdodge a billion times and recover automatically". Seriously brawl is n64 smash dumbed down to the power of 8. They took out the substance and replace it with pretty colors and graphics to amuse...i dunno the people with ADD or something. I mean its obviously a party game..but even with that all the stages are retardedly gimmicky. The developers had purposeful mission to take out any notion of combative skill. Hey youre losing? Dont worry the stage flips upside down or the controls reverse ....or bombs fall on your head...or various other stupidities.

In short the game engine is wack, the stages are wack, please give us a slightly updated version of melee online nintendo for the love of all that is good.

Again don't let me distract you from liking brawl, how you spend your time or whichever game You prefer is not my business. However to claim brawl is a better game is false and if you claim such you sit on a throne of lies and I'm sure the Bible would eventually connect this to you being a devil worshiper or something of the sorts.

edit: and to pozer for melees "mindgames" (As we know i dont really believe in mindgames) you should also take into account the added factors of recovery and survival DI neither or which are present to the extent that they are in melee. And anyway why are we comparing melee to gg and sc such the topic is Melee vs Brawl.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
i like this...
dude has only like 2 posts and is in favor of melee...
i just think that's hard to find...
Are you being sarcastic or serious? As in, are you saying "Wow, someone who favors Melee" or "This guy is just pretending"? I can't tell. (Stupid internet with not being able to tell emotions...)

In either case, I suppose it is sort of difficult to find newer people who favor Melee, but it's not that they don't exist. Take me, for example; I joined very recently, but I favor Melee. (I used to think of them as equals, in fact, very recently, but every day, my hate for games directed towards casual gamers grows...:mad:) It's just an example of how sticking labels on someone before you hear what they have to say is not the smartest thing to do. I realize that after a wave of newcomers for Brawl comes in, you're going to start thinking like that, but still.

Itd be awesome if they could release an optional patch that makes the game more like melee (ATs and faster) to download through wii's online options. Probably not though.
That would be great, but you know Sakurai wouldn't like that.

It would actually let us play the way we want to play, it would make the game not a party game, and he couldn't have that.

(Before anyone says anything, I realize you can switch items and do Special Brawls etc., but Sakurai basically told us we can't play competitively like we want to with Brawl...so don't use Item Switch as an argument, as some people do)

I just saw this now: in your last paragraph, you perfectly described brawl: dodge and nip at each other with quick attacks. No one likes those games.

Which is why people love melee and hate brawl >_>
Good point, that's exactly what Brawl is. Camping with a second of action every, oh, 5 minutes. Which is why random online matches are even worse, you HAVE to approach if you want to win, and approaching is not only hard, it's discouraged.

Ah, oh well.
Ignorance is bliss.
Yeah, if only it were bliss for all of us, and not just the idiots making uninformed comments who don't know what a fighting game is or what makes a game competitive.

Hey youre losing? Dont worry the stage flips upside down or the controls reverse ....or bombs fall on your head...or various other stupidities.
How much d'you want to bet that if someone, somehow, hacked into Brawl or in some other magical way pulled off a wavedash, Sakurai would appear on screen and FALCON PAWNCH!!! them?

RevN

Smash Apprentice
I like melee better, brawl gets boring too fast.

EXACTLY!!! Brawl gets boring too fast because you can't combo,tech,wavedash,waveland, etc. Melee is exciting n fun because of all of that. Melee can NEVER get old that game is just too RAW... Brawl is Baby'd out 4 all the noobs that couldnt handle the skills needed in Melee...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
EXACTLY!!! Brawl gets boring too fast because you can't combo,tech,wavedash,waveland, etc. Melee is exciting n fun because of all of that. Melee can NEVER get old that game is just too RAW... Brawl is Baby'd out 4 all the noobs that couldnt handle the skills needed in Melee...
Yeah...

I was sure, in the beginning, that I would never get bored of Brawl. After all, Melee kept me satisfied (and still does) until the day Brawl came out. Brawl should be the same thing, right?

Then, I began to realize that it had an expration date for me, maybe in a couple of months.

Now I finally got bored of it. Bleh. My friend keeps reminding me how 4 months ago I would've shot myself had I said that...it's getting a little annoying, but it is true.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I'm surprised their hasn't been a Brawl n00b posting a crappy statement about Brawl's superiority as of late. Are they actually learning?

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
i haven't played brawl in a couple weeks i think...
and i prolly still suck at it...
but melee... like... tooooo goood...
maybe when i am the best in the world at melee, i will give brawl another shot...
but as for now... melee has soooo much potential...

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
i haven't played brawl in a couple weeks i think...
and i prolly still suck at it...
but melee... like... tooooo goood...
maybe when i am the best in the world at melee, i will give brawl another shot...
but as for now... melee has soooo much potential...
You'll have to go through me first, and my Pichu > your Ice Climbers.

Top Bottom