• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
haha wtf?
i play ice climbers now?
ok... i'm down...
but first my peach vs ur ice climbers... yeah?

time to work now...
not off till morning... ugh...
need... sleep...

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
****, I don't understand most of the hate that happens between the 2 games.

There both part of the Smash series, why cant Melee support Brawl and the Brawl people support Melee?

But for the most part, one game will dominate over the other, and so far the number of people who have moved over to Brawl is just too much.

In general, its only a matter of time till Melee is out, but it won't be gone for good.
It will suffer the same way Street Fighter 2 did, tis all.
This is the truth. Melee is considered old by most people.

otg

Smash Master
Brawl is like a brand new bike with Training wheels. It looks good and has that new product shine to it, but it's just not as fun to ride as the real thing.

You have to invest time into anything to be good at it. It's boring to have everything made easier for you.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
I like brawl because it has a better air game. In melee if you do an upb thats it you can't do anything (but you can L cancel- this is why they took L canceling out- it was no longer a necessity since you can attack after your upb now)
You get a better fight out of brawl because its "n00b friendly" and therefore the n00bs play a bit better, you still own them but its no longer "I can 4 stock this person because I know all these ways to combo him" its now "I have to think of a way to get him open so I can land more than a few hits"
But melee is good for people who like learning combos and ATs
If melee is "Give them nothing, but take from them everything" Brawl is "Float like a butterfly sting like a bee"............I think....

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
I like brawl because it has a better air game. In melee if you do an upb thats it you can't do anything (but you can L cancel- this is why they took L canceling out- it was no longer a necessity since you can attack after your upb now)
You get a better fight out of brawl because its "n00b friendly" and therefore the n00bs play a bit better, you still own them but its no longer "I can 4 stock this person because I know all these ways to combo him" its now "I have to think of a way to get him open so I can land more than a few hits"
If melee is "Give them nothing, but take from them everything" Brawl is "Float like a butterfly sting like a bee"............I think....
You had to think in melee as well XD
Just throwing that out there

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
dead or alive 4 is the deepest fighting game ever, and im really, l8ke, really not even kidding

I see what you mean now that I think about it. Since the defense is the best in every situation, you have to predict your opponent every step of the way!!!11!11! Brawl would be as deep as DOA4 if it wasn't for DOA4's technical play. Seriously.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If melee is "Give them nothing, but take from them everything" Brawl is "Float like a butterfly sting like a bee"............
...and then watch as your opponent is magnetized to the ledge while recovering. :laugh:

Jokes aside, I can see where you're coming from, but there are a couple of inaccuracies.

First of all, I can see you're a Game & Watch main...while Game & Watch can attack after his Up B, he's one of the few who can. Sonic being another, Rob, Pit...but in any case, not everyone can, rendering that argument useless.

And yes, everyone being on a more level playing field is good to some extent, but then you don't get rewarded for putting in great effort. You just get owned by someone who picked up the game today. I take offense to that, as I spend a lot of my time on video games and I like to see a result from that.

And as it has been said, you have to think in Melee too, just as much as, if not more than, you have to in Brawl.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
And now I feel dumb.... but I also feel great that I pick good characters

How often does that actually happen?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And now I feel dumb.... but I also feel great that I pick good characters

How often does that actually happen?
Not very often...as you can see in my case...XD

Don't feel dumb, had I not seen videos of it on YouTube before Brawl came out, I probably would've assumed the opposite.

You realize how buffed Game & Watch was though? He was really low tier last time and now he's very useable. Meanwhile, Samus was really useable last time and is now nerfed...

Your main stole my main's usefulness! :laugh:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
personally am a brawl supporter just for the fact that I like the balance, online and character roster better. Melee at this point is much more competitive and I agree basic brawl at this point gets old fast. However I believe that Brawl's limitless customizable capabilities will give us the opportunity to get past this shortcoming. I read about Heavy brawl and I think that if it really works (at the cost of some character) why not try it. Also there are damage ratio changes possible if combobility isn't workng. Why not try making attacks give a .5 damage count and just lower the stock or what not. IDK but I believe the competitive community is looking at melee and brawl at face value. many are willing to strategize on the battlefield but not so to save a dying game that is honestly full of potential.

I respect the people who perfer melee better because at this point Brawl just isn't good enough. But it is still smash and very fun at that. Brawl will forever be my favorite in smash evn if the community goes back to melee. I'm not a noob mind you but you could say I tend to get clingy with games I appreciate. And who knows, maybe in a year or so we'll be killing campers with a newly discover nair cancel or what not. There is no lag after performing most nairs after all (or at least from what I've seen). I guess only time will tell.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
why have you not sucked on my nutz yet?
Hey! I know you! You're that guy who got absolutely ***** by Scar's Falcon!

In response to Steck now, just so this post isn't a total waste, why do you consider Brawl being more "newb friendly" to be a good thing? If I work at getting better at this game, why should I not be 4-stocking newer/inexperienced players left and right? Why should those newbs even stand a chance against me, they did nothing to deserve it. If they want to beat me, they should have to work at it, the game shouldn't do it for them.

Brawl's air game better than Melee's? I don't know about you, but the new airdodging sorta kills any air games most characters had. In fact, as far as I can tell, the only real combos are chainthrows, which are not air game at all. Go watch Wound of the Wind or something Marth related in Melee, then go and try to find something remotely equivalent in Brawl. Brawl's air game consists of 1 hit in the air before your opponent realizes his airdodge renders him immune to anything else you could possibly do.

What does upBing have to do with l-canceling, by the way? I don't even agree with the statement that most characters can attack out of their upBs, that's not true. Only a select few can. That's...absolutely unrelated to l-canceling though, regardless of which of us is right.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
You just said Street Fighter 2 was the deepest fighter. STOP POSTING.

seriously, im pretty tired of people not just saying smash is the deepest fighter ever, its pretty obvious and smashers who try to say it isnt are just trying to seem honest and non opinionated..tell the truth

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
why have you not sucked on my nutz yet?
My case in point.

seriously, im pretty tired of people not just saying smash is the deepest fighter ever, its pretty obvious and smashers who try to say it isnt are just trying to seem honest and non opinionated..tell the truth
Technically speaking, Smash isn't. It's a great fighting game, it has had a lot of depth, but it still doesn't measure up to others necessarily, because in a lot of aspects it's very different from a fighting game.

Arguing about the deepest fighter is rather pointless, as it's mostly opinion because no one can really determine which has the precise most depth, but I think it's well-established that smash isn't.

personally am a brawl supporter just for the fact that I like the balance, online and character roster better. Melee at this point is much more competitive and I agree basic brawl at this point gets old fast. However I believe that Brawl's limitless customizable capabilities will give us the opportunity to get past this shortcoming. I read about Heavy brawl and I think that if it really works (at the cost of some character) why not try it. Also there are damage ratio changes possible if combobility isn't workng. Why not try making attacks give a .5 damage count and just lower the stock or what not. IDK but I believe the competitive community is looking at melee and brawl at face value. many are willing to strategize on the battlefield but not so to save a dying game that is honestly full of potential.

I respect the people who perfer melee better because at this point Brawl just isn't good enough. But it is still smash and very fun at that. Brawl will forever be my favorite in smash evn if the community goes back to melee. I'm not a noob mind you but you could say I tend to get clingy with games I appreciate. And who knows, maybe in a year or so we'll be killing campers with a newly discover nair cancel or what not. There is no lag after performing most nairs after all (or at least from what I've seen). I guess only time will tell.
I see what you mean with Brawl having more options; even so, I don't think that will help to prolongue its life very much. It's sort of like this; if you have a black and white TV, not very much is going to look good on it (compared to color TV), right? Well try putting HD on it. Since the TV is black and white, it'll look okay, but it still will not be as good as, say, a color TV, because the foundation of the system (the TV) isn't that good. Same with Brawl; if you take a poor engine and add cool graphics and extra options, it'll be good, but thanks to the engine, it just can't be as good as it could've been. At least, that's the way I think of it.

I myself never thought I'd get bored of Brawl; two weeks after it came out, someone told me they were bored of it. I was ready to shout "BLASPHEMY!" Now, I'm pretty much bored of Brawl. That's why I'm going back to games like Super Metroid, Donkey Kong 64, Melee...a lot of games, because I'm bored of Brawl, I'm on an anti-new Nintendo kick because they're catering to casual gamers, and I am really loving retro games now. Well, Melee's not retro, but you get the point.

I agree that, before we sell Brawl back to the store (not that I intend to do that, but I'm sure some do/have) we should see if the metagame evolves at least a little bit. I wouldn't say it's necessarily full of potential; if it turns out that the metagame now is the metagame, then I don't think it has much potential.

But I won't drop Brawl completely, if I want a great party game then Brawl is a great candidate. Just, if I want to play a game to get good at it and really go all-out, I prefer Melee.

By the way, thank you for presenting your support for Brawl in a calm, reasonable way. You rarely see that nowadays. ;)

Savingforever

Smash Cadet
I agree. As of right now i woudl prefer melee. But thats not sayin brawl is a bad game. Brawl is a game, in my opinion, to fool around with or to have fun with. And yea you can get better with brawl but i feel they have some what closed some of the possibilities of some more “advance techniques”. But on the other hand they have tried to explore other areas too. Like the attacking after their third jumps(for some characters). Another thing is the game hasn’t been out that long. So just think, yea right now there arnt many things to make people “that” much better, but just give it time right? As you c im not tryin to change anyones mind just tryin to put more ideas out there.

But the one major thing I didn’t like about the transition between brawl and melee is how some of the characters are madly down or upgraded. For example when I played brawl and I used Ganondorf I was surprised!!! he lost all of his power. I know even in melee he wasn’t top tear but now I feel like he’s going to be bottom tear for sure.. lol could be wrong.. havn’t really explored Ganondorf move sets yet. But I guess you win some and lose some.

Browny

Smash Hater
this would be interesting... i wonder how many people who prefer melee, tried to main characters like dedede, wolf, pit and many characters who have very little technical depth, but are very strong/spammers. Dont get me wrong i know melee is a ****load more technical than brawl but when i play as Sonic or lucario they are far more technical than most, and are actually fun to play, unsurprisingly.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I love Melee and I play Pit. I have been learning the "Advanced Techniques" for him and also finding them since the American release. I have found, what has now been called, "Arrow Dancing," a way to prolong the time the arrow can be charged. Now there is a way to loop arrows around which is being called, "Arrow Chasing." I've been trying to increase the use of the glide attack along with the more effective use of the normal aerial attacks. I'm finding technical stuff out about him all the time, but nothing too impressive. Nothing that would define a good Pit player. Nothing that would make someone say, "Wow, you know he's Pro."

Then I look back to Samus from melee, my main. I wasn't on the forefront of any major discovery in that game. The most I ever came up with was a name for a previously unnamed move because I thought I had discovered something. I played people who kicked my *** all the time, and they taught me how to play well. I learned all the basic stuff, but it wasn't enough. I started learning character specific things, and it was amazing. Every new discovery added major potential to my playstyle. Everything was getting better.

Now, I'm not saying that there is no potential in Brawl. But, it seems to me, that all the new "techs" in brawl are just gimmicky little things that do nothing in a real match. Nothing game changing. Nothing noteable. Just silly ****.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Technically speaking, Smash isn't. It's a great fighting game, it has had a lot of depth, but it still doesn't measure up to others necessarily, because in a lot of aspects it's very different from a fighting game.
Technically speaking it is close. If we are going into really technical discussion, we would say GG is probably the deepest 2d fighter out there while VF is the most deep fighting game 3d and probably other wise. They seem to have the most options and things to pay attention for but it can argued that those things aren't as important as somethings in other games.You can definitely tell that Smash (melee) has more depth than Naruto and the like, the problem arises when two different fighting games have depth for different reasons and they seem to have about the same amount of semi balanced options.
Arguing about the deepest fighter is rather pointless, as it's mostly opinion because no one can really determine which has the precise most depth, but I think it's well-established that smash isn't.
It is pointless to a very good degree. After getting past SF 3 complexity, who really cares? However, the respect of different fighters as which is better is pretty skewed. Who gets to establish this credibility of how good a fighter is? SRK? Smashboards? Dustloop? People who don't know any better like casuals?

Edit: OOps, didn't mean for the technically speaking part to sound so definite. =/ I wouldn't say smash (melee) is the deepest fighting game out there since there is so much good competition from other fighters, but saying it is not a deep fighter is utter bull ****. lol at me saying smash to mean melee cause the other games are pretty simple.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Nes Noob you forgot Tekken Zaibatsu. Theyre epeens are just as bad most SRK members. But the funny thing is good people dont really spam up those boards. Im pretty ****ing good at every fighting game Ive ever touched and I have 23 posts on SRK. Dont let them bother you with their allegations of smash not being deep SRK=Stupid ******** Kids.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
i have played every smash game . and i must say melee has gave me the best memories
Agreed. All of my memories in Brawl that are actually enjoyable usually involve epic failures of my friends...and they're really not that enjoyable. In Melee, I always enjoyed playing. I felt like I improved. When I first started playing Melee with one of my friends, he beat me easily, without even trying. But after practicing time after time, I got better, and got to the same level as him. I enjoyed that. We didn't have to play on *insert gimmicky stage here* with only *insert crazy item here*s on to have fun. In Brawl, that's not the case.

this would be interesting... i wonder how many people who prefer melee, tried to main characters like dedede, wolf, pit and many characters who have very little technical depth, but are very strong/spammers. Dont get me wrong i know melee is a ****load more technical than brawl but when i play as Sonic or lucario they are far more technical than most, and are actually fun to play, unsurprisingly.
I've played with all of the characters you mentioned, and I still prefer Melee. And yes, I mean mained them.

Oh yeah, and you forgot Ike. :p

Now, I'm not saying that there is no potential in Brawl. But, it seems to me, that all the new "techs" in brawl are just gimmicky little things that do nothing in a real match. Nothing game changing. Nothing noteable. Just silly ****.
Just like Brawl.

I agree, the "advanced techniques" for Brawl aren't really that advanced at all, they aren't really that game-changing, they're just silly little "Ooh! That looks cool!" type of things.

Technically speaking it is close. If we are going into really technical discussion, we would say GG is probably the deepest 2d fighter out there while VF is the most deep fighting game 3d and probably other wise. They seem to have the most options and things to pay attention for but it can argued that those things aren't as important as somethings in other games.You can definitely tell that Smash (melee) has more depth than Naruto and the like, the problem arises when two different fighting games have depth for different reasons and they seem to have about the same amount of semi balanced options.

Edit: OOps, didn't mean for the technically speaking part to sound so definite. =/ I wouldn't say smash (melee) is the deepest fighting game out there since there is so much good competition from other fighters, but saying it is not a deep fighter is utter bull ****. lol at me saying smash to mean melee cause the other games are pretty simple.
I agree, I wouldn't say Smash is on the bottom, I'm just saying it's probably not the deepest fighter out there. Obviously it (and by it, yes, I mean Melee XD, you can't mean Brawl by any means) has depth. Just, in the way of fighters, it's not the deepest. That's all I was trying to say.

But the one major thing I didn’t like about the transition between brawl and melee is how some of the characters are madly down or upgraded. For example when I played brawl and I used Ganondorf I was surprised!!! he lost all of his power. I know even in melee he wasn’t top tear but now I feel like he’s going to be bottom tear for sure.. lol could be wrong.. havn’t really explored Ganondorf move sets yet. But I guess you win some and lose some.
That's one of my biggest gripes, especially as a Samus main. She wasn't cheap in Melee, she wasn't so good that she needed to be nerfed, yet they did. And characters like Fox and Marth were uber and were not nerfed. Samus can be played still, but she was still nerfed for no good reason.

As for Ganondorf, I've probably played with him all of twice...so I don't really remember noticing a lack of power. Still, come to think of it, he was more powerful in Melee at least. Although from what I've seen, he's lower tiered, but not bottom.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
In response to Steck now, just so this post isn't a total waste, why do you consider Brawl being more "newb friendly" to be a good thing? If I work at getting better at this game, why should I not be 4-stocking newer/inexperienced players left and right? Why should those newbs even stand a chance against me, they did nothing to deserve it. If they want to beat me, they should have to work at it, the game shouldn't do it for them.

Brawl's air game better than Melee's? I don't know about you, but the new airdodging sorta kills any air games most characters had. In fact, as far as I can tell, the only real combos are chainthrows, which are not air game at all. Go watch Wound of the Wind or something Marth related in Melee, then go and try to find something remotely equivalent in Brawl. Brawl's air game consists of 1 hit in the air before your opponent realizes his airdodge renders him immune to anything else you could possibly do.

What does upBing have to do with l-canceling, by the way? I don't even agree with the statement that most characters can attack out of their upBs, that's not true. Only a select few can. That's...absolutely unrelated to l-canceling though, regardless of which of us is right.

I was being really stupid in that post So most of the stuff I said about air game and l-canceling should be disregarded.

But about "newb friendly"-ness: I guess I think it sort of forces you to be better since all the people you are playing against have a chance to fight you at the beginning. Eventually you do start 4 stocking n00bs (actually 3 stock, Brawl is slower lol). Its not like there is no skill in this game. Just that you have some amount competition at every level of play.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I was being really stupid in that post So most of the stuff I said about air game and l-canceling should be disregarded.

But about "newb friendly"-ness: I guess I think it sort of forces you to be better since all the people you are playing against have a chance to fight you at the beginning. Eventually you do start 4 stocking n00bs (actually 3 stock, Brawl is slower lol). Its not like there is no skill in this game. Just that you have some amount competition at every level of play.
I find that you're forced to try to be better, but the way Brawl works, it doesn't feel like you can improve. You obviously can, but it's very hard to, and you can only do it to a certain extent.

dem nutz needz roastina
Hm...you remind me of some kid I knew in Middle School...

Steck

Smash Journeyman
I find that you're forced to try to be better, but the way Brawl works, it doesn't feel like you can improve. You obviously can, but it's very hard to, and you can only do it to a certain extent.
Huh?I don't feel that way at all. I think I've think I've improved alot since I got the game. Maybe its because I never played melee competitively, so I have nothing to compare it to.

otg

Smash Master
All the Brawl people speak about how Melee lacked mindgames, and that it was just a technical combofest, as if it was MVC2. They also claim that Brawl is all about Mindgames and spacing, which they are correct about, but they make it seem as if Melee lacked those elements.

Not only is this grossly inaccurate, but it's ignorant as well. Melee combined spacing, technical skill, and mindgames, and thats what made it a fantastic and brilliant fighter. Those who claim that it was full of set combos are either playing Mew2king or have friends that have no idea what DI is.

Seeing as how mindgames are a situtational and abstract concept that really only apply to individual fights, the only thing in Brawl that you can actually improve is spacing and an overall understanding of the physics engine. I personally don't have a problem with Brawl's floaty physics engine, but the lack of hit stun completely destroys this games technical factor.

Thus Brawl will turn into a campfest with limited approaches and a huge divide between the Top and Bottom tiers (already becoming evident). Granted Brawl is still a fresh game and we don't know everything about it yet, but I doubt any true game breaking Advanced Techs will ever actually develop due to Sakurai's blatant nerfing of the overall game.

I hope six months from now someone will be laughing at me and will have legitimately proved me wrong but it seems very unlikely that will happen. In the meantime, I'll be playing Melee and occasionally some Brawl with all items/stages on with a 2 minute time limit.

Believe me, it's a lot more fun that way.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Huh?I don't feel that way at all. I think I've think I've improved alot since I got the game. Maybe its because I never played melee competitively, so I have nothing to compare it to.
I never attended a tournament for Melee either.

But as I said before, when I faced one of my friends in Melee, he used to be able to kick my butt single-handedly. But after a lot of practicing and training, I got to be on the same level as him.

In Brawl, he chose characters that he was better at as opposed to what I did, which was choosing characters I liked playing as, and he was better. After a month+ of practicing, he's still better than me. Now, that could be because I suck at Brawl, but still--I practiced more than him (I play more than he does) and I still couldn't get better. I just cannot seem to improve in Brawl no matter what.

Top Bottom