• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How guys treat girls in a fighting game community.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I was about to make a post about this as well. Here's another good article on the subject:
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/when-passions-flare-lines-are-crossed/4006/

This reminds me of the perennial "****" debate that crops up on SWF (and the "gay" debate, which while not being specifically an issue for women, is the exact same issue), and it almost always goes the same way: A poster makes the thread about the use of the word, and most of the comments afterward are really lame defenses of using that word. It's quite revealing, no matter how many times I read those threads, because it shows that many posters either refuse to understand or simply cannot understand why someone would be offended by that word, or any of the other anti-female words that crop up at tournaments. These people, mostly white males, cannot understand the world from anyone's perspective besides their own. That's bad enough, but they then refuse to even acknowledge other perspectives as valid, or in some cases, even existing.

I've never considered myself a feminist, but as a black male, I increasingly see alot of similarities between the way that we're treated, and the ways that women are treated. Obviously the practices and issues we face are different, but it comes down to the same basic problem: dominant culture usually refuses to grow enough to include us. In this case, Bakhtanians is doing something really rare, and flat-out admitting that. This is an all-boys club, and if you don't like it, there's the door. I've heard some really crazy things directed against blacks as well, in tournaments and in similar news stories, but I won't get into them since that's not the point of this thread.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
...I began to watch some of the video where Aris started talking, and I am absolutely disgusted by it to the point where I refrained from listening to more than a few minutes of it. I can't stand the type of people who not only speak of ethical things as if they are proficient in it and yet make such illogical statements, but the moments before he even started speaking where he couldn't contain himself from making sighs and saying "Oh boy" really gives a glimpse of how immature and fragile his psyche is.

It is always profoundly disappointing to me when I come across terrible online gaming communities, the people you hear speak out in things like Guild Wars, League of Legends, etc. demonstrates perfectly what Aris mentioned as how the community should be hard to approach, for people can be so not amiable that it is almost impossible to try and take a step up from the beginning stages with players better than you without being assaulted with mindless "noob" insults or like in the instance of League of Legends, call out for a fellow player to be reported for doing so poorly, that they are actually convinced that it is intentional. I almost understand an inkling of an idea with what Aris says by that, like perhaps people need to step up and prove themselves; however, what is does is makes that unlikely and not only shrinks the community but creates people who come into contact with it into the same anti-social and mindless individuals that give gamers a bad name and also make you wonder what people online are like in-person.

Gaming is a hobby, made for joy and amusement, but just because when it becomes professional/high level doesn't mean it has to become discriminating, that just means it is more competitive. And that's it. To call it like a different flavor of ice cream or onions in a sandwich was such a cop-out and nonsensical answer in response to speaking of the Starcraft community, for then it insinuates that it is something enjoyable and a part of the experience, which is offensive and not to mention, delusional. The fighting game community being linked to that kind of mindset is simply not the case, and there isn't even a way for him to state his case as to why he believes the sexism is an integral part of it. Misogyny developed like a tumor from socially inept and angry men looking for an excuse to let out their large heap of teenage angst that persists even in their twenties.

Although, I have to disagree as to why that is why there aren't a lot of females in the gaming community, that is largely due to the culture we have today, women are spoon-fed as to what kind of things they should have interest in and what they must do. It is rare for a girl to have fun playing video games instead of going out doing whatever or looking for boys, whereas it is much more akin to the male person to come across the gaming community due to there less social tendencies, which unfortunately has exceedingly gross cases such as you have found. It would be incredibly unlikely for you to find a female to make disgusting remarks such as these in comparison, and isn't from the fact that there are simply less female gamers, but how female and male gamers differ in terms of personality.

Alright, well we have recognized a background issue which plagues us all.

What do we do about it? Virtually all the time societal problems (community problems) are targeted, but no one does anything about it.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It is hard to do anything about it other than regulate it. The rest is up to education. Which unfortunately is hard to change, considering human nature, the government, and conditioning.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I actually know a girl who has been ***** which is why i cringe whenever i hear the word **** used. I probably would have been using the word so crudely had i not known her :/ which is the sad part.

On topic with treating females, i've played 3 female competitive smashers and i treated it no different than playing anyone else really. I've played girls in casuals at my university game club, again, no different.

Then there are all the MMOs i've played and used vent on. This is really what got me used to playing with females.

I think most guys just have to make A big deal out of girls because they just haven't ever played a serious competitive girl so they just do the first thing that comes to mind and thats their ****.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
This reminds me of the perennial "****" debate that crops up on SWF (and the "gay" debate, which while not being specifically an issue for women, is the exact same issue), and it almost always goes the same way: A poster makes the thread about the use of the word, and most of the comments afterward are really lame defenses of using that word. It's quite revealing, no matter how many times I read those threads, because it shows that many posters either refuse to understand or simply cannot understand why someone would be offended by that word, or any of the other anti-female words that crop up at tournaments. These people, mostly white males, cannot understand the world from anyone's perspective besides their own. That's bad enough, but they then refuse to even acknowledge other perspectives as valid, or in some cases, even existing.
Sorry to derail the thread so quickly, but I really really hate this argument. :| I don't really get why it's relevant to this thread.

The majority of words will offend somebody, no matter what. If we're limited by what might be rude/over the line/whatever by a certain person's definition then the english language becomes very small. It's ridiculous to limit you're own vocabulary because some people can't grasp that the language evolves and some words end up with new meanings. Using the word "Gay" to mean lame or stupid is a completely viable concept and unless you're actually trying to use it in an offensive manner there's no reason anyone should get upset.

On the other hand, if you directly know someone around you that isn't comfortable with the use of the word than it would be polite (not necessarily "correct") to not use it. It would be like a vegan trying to stop people from eating meat. If you're offended by that it's not their problem, and tbh it's pretty rude to try and force your views on other people. I'm stretching a bit with this comparison but I'm sure people get what I'm trying to say.

That being said, I don't think sexual harassment is good at all in any situation and the people saying it's necessary for the fighting game community are idiots. Them being a part of the community doesn't make it any less offensive, and I would hope everyone would have enough self control to not say something intentionally instigating. This Aris guy sounds like an *******.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think gay should stop meaning homosexual and start meaning just lame and annoying as its first definition.

TL?

Smash Ace
And they call the smash community immature. GGs srk.

But seriously, don't think this incident represents some sort of majority or large part of the scene. Most(if not all) people at the tournaments I've been too are not like this.

john!

Smash Hero
On the other hand, if you directly know someone around you that isn't comfortable with the use of the word than it would be polite (not necessarily "correct") to not use it. It would be like a vegan trying to stop people from eating meat. If you're offended by that it's not their problem, and tbh it's pretty rude to try and force your views on other people. I'm stretching a bit with this comparison but I'm sure people get what I'm trying to say.
originally posted by...... spelt?!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Kass, I seriously love you for posting this here as well as Facebook

I'm really happy that most of the smashers I have talked to are really nice people who would never do this to anyone. Sure, they'll make jokes, but they are nowhere near harassment level....aka good banter
What this jerk did was straight up sexual harassment.

And the worst part of watching this was the fact that she really couldn't do anything about it. 'but she could have stood up for herself!!!'
That's not an option in a situation like that. She was clearly outnumbered, and they would have just gone farther off the deep end. It's basically how bullying works....cuz that guy is basically a bully! They look for a reaction or for you to walk away. She couldn't react back because worse would happen to her....and running away admits defeat in their eyes, allowing them to make even worse comments (the bathroom comments made at the end of the video)
That's a terrible situation to be in, and I really hope it gets taken care of.

:phone:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Sorry to derail the thread so quickly, but I really really hate this argument. :| I don't really get why it's relevant to this thread.

The majority of words will offend somebody, no matter what. If we're limited by what might be rude/over the line/whatever by a certain person's definition then the english language becomes very small. It's ridiculous to limit you're own vocabulary because some people can't grasp that the language evolves and some words end up with new meanings. Using the word "Gay" to mean lame or stupid is a completely viable concept and unless you're actually trying to use it in an offensive manner there's no reason anyone should get upset.

That being said, I don't think sexual harassment is good at all in any situation and the people saying it's necessary for the fighting game community are idiots. Them being a part of the community doesn't make it any less offensive, and I would hope everyone would have enough self control to not say something intentionally instigating. This Aris guy sounds like an *******.
This is exactly the problem though. The definition of a word or phrase may be different for you, but that doesn't mean that everyone else (or anyone else for that matter) has to accept that "evolution" of meaning. What you're saying is basically a dressed up version of Bakhtanians' argument: if you're offended, it's your own fault (in this case for not understanding language evolution), go somewhere else. We're not going to adjust our understanding of your feelings, you just need to adjust your feelings in general.

The thing about using the word "gay" as a stand-in for lame is that it substitutes a negative term for a pejorative; for "gay" to work in the context that you're using, it necessarily must be understood as a pejorative. After all, when you call a tactic gay, you don't mean awesome. The definition of the word hasn't changed at all, it's meaning has just been expanded to include something other than people. Same with the word "****:" its use in context requires an understanding of what **** actually is. Once again, the definition of the word isn't changing, that definition is simply being expanded to include situations it originally didn't.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Overall an excellent thread with great posts; well done/said my friends!

And they call the smash community immature. GGs srk.
My thoughts exactly.
But seriously, don't think this incident represents some sort of majority or large part of the scene. Most(if not all) people at the tournaments I've been too are not like this.
Nearly all people in general are not like this (in the smash community). I have never seen this in any of the tournaments I have gone to. Thank God.
On topic with treating females, i've played 3 female competitive smashers and i treated it no different than playing anyone else really. I've played girls in casuals at my university game club, again, no different.
I face female smashers in tournaments and whatnot, and I don't treat her any differently from males (well, except I re framed from calling her "dude" and stuff like that). It's not like woman are totally different from men. Females, like males, just want to be treated fairly.
I think most guys just have to make A big deal out of girls because they just haven't ever played a serious competitive girl so they just do the first thing that comes to mind and thats their ****.
That and the fact a lot of these guys aren't around females around their age (they aren't related to) often. The guy who said this certainly looks and acts like someone who doesn't have a sister, a mother he is on speaking terms with (at least with ethics), female friends, or a girlfriend.

I also seriously doubt this Ares would do this to someone of a different race who was bigger, stronger, and taller than him. I bet he's a wimp. He sure looks like it, talks like it, and has to rely on popular support to defend it. The way he shot down that girl like her opinions didn't matter... this is sad. She has just as much right to talk. As someone said on that dumb a** Shoryuken forums said (in different context) "this is America, not North Korea."
I'm really happy that most of the smashers I have talked to are really nice people who would never do this to anyone. Sure, they'll make jokes, but they are nowhere near harassment level....aka good banter
What this jerk did was straight up sexual harassment.

And the worst part of watching this was the fact that she really couldn't do anything about it. 'but she could have stood up for herself!!!'
That's not an option in a situation like that. She was clearly outnumbered, and they would have just gone farther off the deep end. It's basically how bullying works....cuz that guy is basically a bully! They look for a reaction or for you to walk away. She couldn't react back because worse would happen to her....and running away admits defeat in their eyes, allowing them to make even worse comments (the bathroom comments made at the end of the video)
That's a terrible situation to be in, and I really hope it gets taken care of.
I agree. I hate this crap. I wonder if they would feel the same way if they And if we don't like murder, maybe we should get sandwiches instead of get onions. That was statement was so dumb, that guy should have his brain checked. Literally, what the hell is wrong with you to make you say that=???

I also think this is a sign where elitist attitudes these "hardcore fighting game" players makes them think they are above the law, logic, and the right thing. When people tend to think they are so great and so holy, that is when they do some really evil crap. History proves this. Heck, this guy's own words prove this:
The beauty of the fighting game community, and you should know this - it’s based around not being welcome. That’s the beauty of it. That’s the key essence of it. When you walk into an arcade for the first time, nobody likes you.
And fans of other fighting games wonder why we Smash Bros. competitive players don't like them (or any competitive communities for that matter). It's stupid crap like this. This is why I never talk down to trash talk to these stupid fighting game fans (specifically on Shoryuken) on live streams.

I grew up ultimate as "me" with a great family, great friends, and a life I am happy with. These people probably grew up as secluded nerds with no friends who are angry at the world because they were picked on in Middle School. What these losers say has no effect on me, other than giving me a few chuckles. I honestly feel bad for them that this is what their lives have come to... but not as bad as the poor girls at those (Tekken and Street Fighter) tournaments. Somebody needs to give them some big hugs and maybe some therapy. Overall I think this sense of being "superior," combined with numbers of supporters, made these ball-less men feel like the women were slaves who should bow to their (male) masters. Quite frankly, that is disgusting.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think gay should stop meaning homosexual and start meaning just lame and annoying as its first definition.
But then why would I want to go to a Gay Bar then? >:

Ruin all the fun for me. Jerks.

Also, two girls and a gay in one thread. Most diversity I've seen on here in some time. Do I have a comment about this topic? No I do not. Because, I didn't read it. BUT, I do like making jokes. Which is why I came, if you noticed above. ^^^

Hmm, yes, quite.

:3 *pokes cheeks*

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You have to remember a lot of guys in video games communities are bitter/cynical because many of them tend to be societal rejects/failures, and everyone knows jealousy, insecurity and failure breed bitterness. I don't mean that in an offensive way, just pointing out a reality. I'm also not saying every single gamer is like that either.

It'd be funny if that guy had never had a girlfriend either.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is exactly the problem though. The definition of a word or phrase may be different for you, but that doesn't mean that everyone else (or anyone else for that matter) has to accept that "evolution" of meaning. What you're saying is basically a dressed up version of Bakhtanians' argument: if you're offended, it's your own fault (in this case for not understanding language evolution), go somewhere else. We're not going to adjust our understanding of your feelings, you just need to adjust your feelings in general.
Your argument is saying the same thing though. Our feelings aren't the problem, it's your understanding of our feelings that need to change.

How is that anymore justified?

The thing about using the word "gay" as a stand-in for lame is that it substitutes a negative term for a pejorative; for "gay" to work in the context that you're using, it necessarily must be understood as a pejorative. After all, when you call a tactic gay, you don't mean awesome. The definition of the word hasn't changed at all, it's meaning has just been expanded to include something other than people. Same with the word "****:" its use in context requires an understanding of what **** actually is. Once again, the definition of the word isn't changing, that definition is simply being expanded to include situations it originally didn't.
Just because both the meanings have negative connotations doesn't mean they're the same definition. That's just how you choose to view it. "Being attracted to a person of the same sex" and "Being lame or stupid" are two completely different things. Even used in an actual derogatory sense "I hate who you are" (basically/paraphrased) is a far cry from our original definition. When someone is using that definition to intentionally attempt to harm someone emotionally, that is when the lined is crossed. That is when you should be putting up the caution tape.

We're really just arguing over "semantics", which has never and will never become anything useful, it's all about the meaning behind the action. Basically if there is no intent then there's no reason to get angry.

Morin0

Smash Lord
You have to remember a lot of guys in video games communities are bitter/cynical because many of them tend to be societal rejects/failures, and everyone knows jealousy, insecurity and failure breed bitterness. I don't mean that in an offensive way, just pointing out a reality. I'm also not saying every single gamer is like that either.

It'd be funny if that guy had never had a girlfriend either.
I believe it's a running joke that Aris never got laid and one of those two articles linked here mention it.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Wow first I was like "Yeah Aris is right, this sorta stuff shouldn't be considered weird and not worth an outrage", but then I watched the video and hoooly **** Aris is creepy as ****. "Let me buy you a skirt".

What.
I dunno it's just the weirdo gamers that become a whole big issue and then suddenly it's "all gamers are like this"

Linkshot

Smash Hero
...These people probably grew up as secluded nerds with no friends who are angry at the world because they were picked on in Middle School...
I'll vouch for this because that describes my young teens perfectly. I used to be pretty awkward around women, but not offensive. I just never knew what to say to them because my mind kicked into a gear I never had practice with. Just try to imagine a male bird trying to impress a female but stumbling all over the place. Though, what pulled me out of "the world sucks and I hate it" mentality was getting into my Smash scene and seeing how cool those guys were.

So yeah, those kind of jerks are people that were corrupted at a young age and either:
A) Haven't had enough practice/time to adjust to society's basics
B) Don't think the world is worth adjusting/being nice to

I actually know a girl who has been ***** which is why i cringe whenever i hear the word **** used. I probably would have been using the word so crudely had i not known her :/ which is the sad part.
Exactly the same here.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just because both the meanings have negative connotations doesn't mean they're the same definition. That's just how you choose to view it. "Being attracted to a person of the same sex" and "Being lame or stupid" are two completely different things. Even used in an actual derogatory sense "I hate who you are" (basically/paraphrased) is a far cry from our original definition. When someone is using that definition to intentionally attempt to harm someone emotionally, that is when the lined is crossed. That is when you should be putting up the caution tape.
Your original intention may not be hateful, but that doesn't mean the person hearing it isn't going to assume you're referring to something as hateful towards gays. Switch the word gay used in the latter definition with a racial slur and tell me that's still ok.

Oh, that DAir is totally beaner! Why are you using such a zipperhead tactic? Oh, you wanna play skinhead?

It's like people using the N word even though they aren't using the old definition. It's a definition you can't just get rid of like that which is why I don't like it when people use it, and I'm not even Black.

Besides, there are better words to use in place of gay and ***** than what the FGC (including Smash) use. I personally prefer annoying and bodied respectively.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
This Aris guy is a massive creep.

I'm all for smack talk and stuff in good fun but asking a woman what her bra size is...what does that have to do with anything? Then continues to persist in guessing when she won't tell him. Asking her to move her arm so he can see her boobs? Wtf o_O

The whole time she seems like she's just grin and bearing it. Uncomfortable laughter.

Moving on to her thighs and getting all close to smell her?
Imagine going up to random women in the street and trying to do this...get locked up son

Akagami

Smash Rookie
LOL white knights everywhere. aris is one crazy guy, you guys should see his video with kayopolice too. this time he went too far yeah, but it wasn't nearly as bad an incident as loads of people are making it out to be. i don't see why she didn't just take a serious tone and tell him not to say that or something, she just keeps laughing it off? if you don't like it then say that **** properly and don't just laugh like a ******, what the **** man.

the fighting game community needs its **** talk and also needs to stop caring so much about female gamers involvement in it or not. honestly why do you give a **** whether females are put off the fighting game community or not? when i chill at my friends houses/go to tournaments, it's like a get away thing you know? pretty much just say whatever the **** i want, talk loads of **** but its all friendly you know? most females can't handle that, so if they're around you gotta be more respectful and ****. not that there's too much wrong with that, but it just takes away some of the fun when you have to be more careful with what you're saying. if females get involved with the community they should just be able to handle the **** talk that comes with it. obviously direct sexist comments like aris was throwing out aren't cool, but as far as just general **** talk and terminology goes, they just need to deal with it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I've games with alot of females and I can tell you they can definitely take and dish out alot of trash talk in good fun. There are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed, but some people think its funny to cross that line with women.

I'm sure any guy siding with that "aris" creep wouldn't be okay with some guy sexually harassing them.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It's amusing to see how communities complain about and try and find ways of recruiting new players, but refuse to actually become more accommodating for outsiders.

If the collective community acts like petulant manchildren, it's going to be seen as such. "Hype" or "Adrenaline" or "lolz" or "smacktalk" is not an excuse.

Act mature. No johns.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
the part at the end where he said he would smell her made me feel sick i understand banter but that was way too far lol

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
ahahahah this Aris dude. I'm embarrassed for him because he clearly has no idea how socially inept he is.

That youtube video was physically painful to listen to. He's such a creep. You'd have to mentally deficient or incredibly socially inept to think she was comfortable with the jokes in that stream. Nobody should have to sit through consistent sexual abuse because other people don't give a ****.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
LOL white knights everywhere. aris is one crazy guy, you guys should see his video with kayopolice too. this time he went too far yeah, but it wasn't nearly as bad an incident as loads of people are making it out to be. i don't see why she didn't just take a serious tone and tell him not to say that or something, she just keeps laughing it off? if you don't like it then say that **** properly and don't just laugh like a ******, what the **** man.

the fighting game community needs its **** talk and also needs to stop caring so much about female gamers involvement in it or not. honestly why do you give a **** whether females are put off the fighting game community or not? when i chill at my friends houses/go to tournaments, it's like a get away thing you know? pretty much just say whatever the **** i want, talk loads of **** but its all friendly you know? most females can't handle that, so if they're around you gotta be more respectful and ****. not that there's too much wrong with that, but it just takes away some of the fun when you have to be more careful with what you're saying. if females get involved with the community they should just be able to handle the **** talk that comes with it. obviously direct sexist comments like aris was throwing out aren't cool, but as far as just general **** talk and terminology goes, they just need to deal with it.
Have you ever been bullied or harassed? Have you?

From my personal experience, it sucks and you can't do anything about it except grin and bear it or ignore it. If she would have said ANYTHING that would imply she was fighting back, it would have gotten worse. I've been in situations similar to this (bullying, luckily not sexual harassment), and I tried fighting back. Yeah. Dumb idea. I was just bullied worse and more frequently. When I started laughing it off, it got a lot easier to deal with because they realized they weren't getting a reaction.

Way to be welcoming. Girls arent all soft skinned, you ignorant jerk. We can deal with the smack talk and dish it out. No need to baby us. It's people like you that make sure there won't be any girls in the scene, buddy.

Man, I'm not usually all "girl powerrrr"
But when someone tells me that I shouldnt do what I want to do because I'm too delicate and cant take the smack talk...then to hell with it. I've dealt with worse.

Shadic, I totally agree. The community ranges from teens to adult...we need to learn to act our ages and be more welcoming.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I don't believe in chivalry in this day and age. white knights are dumb. Difference between jumping to defend a girl blindly, and actually defending human rights.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm not going to read any of the posts in this blog and just say this.

Stick a girl in a predominantly male world, and she's gonna get sexually harassed. I mean it's not like you're getting your breasts and *** grabbed, it's just some nasty remarks. ****ing deal with it, because that's how males interact regardless of gender or whatever. If there is something there to insult and pick at, men will take advantage of it.

Honestly unless it's truly malicious, it's much better to have men give you a hard time than constantly be polite and nice, because a nice guy is a disingenuous douchebag who isn't to be trusted.

If girls can't take banter, then cool nobody's mourning the lack of them in a community if all they're going to do is cry and moan instead of grow some thick skin and throw some abuse back like any guy would.

Loljew
Lolblack
Lolgay
Lolginger
Lolterrorist
Lol____
Lolwoman

See the pattern?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Dre actually made a good point. These kinda guys are just bad people who happen to be great at video games. If she wants respect she should just beat him in the game. Nothing shuts down a douche like that quicker than getting his butt kicked in his beloved video game. Most of these tools are stuck in preadolescence, so you have to approach it as if they were still in 3rd grade.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The logic isn't "They do this, therefore it is incorrect to not accept it." The logic is, "They do this, but why?" The answer is not, "Because they do." That is circle reasoning. You're using the same logic as Aris, thinking it is some necessary existence, but no, it isn't. Granted, people should learn to handle negative things from people, but that is entirely beside the point.

And to say nice guys are worse, let alone cannot be trusted, is quite the controversial blanket statement. Also your mention of it being better than the absolute opposite and justifying it through that is quite strange, even if the opposite was indeed worse.

Oh, also how Aris behaves is actually quite abnormal, I really hope you don't think that is natural.

As for chivalry, I have to agree, most guys who think that way just think that because girls are what they are, they need to be treated with extra respect. The fact of the matter is that yes, the two genders are different, but none of that warrants good or bad discrimination, it just simply implies discrimination in what they are. To add all this baggage is not as necessary as people think, we are just conditioned to think that way. I used to as well until I grew up and got a brain.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm confident that smashers in my region are not *******s like this.

Overall pretty disgusting thread.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
That type of behavior is unacceptable and unprofessional. Aris Bakhtanians, in a way, was supposed to represent Capcom in this streaming event that is meant to advertise their new fighting game. You don't go on the air and just say whatever comes to mind.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've been to two tournaments of Smash and the people there were absolutely great, very amiable and respectable, definitely paragons for other video game communities.

Unless I am missing a lot of pathetic Smashers out there.

Morin0

Smash Lord

LOL, is that you Aris?

:phone:

Top Bottom