• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'm sorry if this is been asked before.... but Is it better to Fox trot away from and incoming attack than to Dodge roll. The Fox trot puts me in mid range position to DSCG or Pivot Wave Grab.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
I'm sorry if this is been asked before.... but Is it better to Fox trot away from and incoming attack than to Dodge roll. The Fox trot puts me in mid range position to DSCG or Pivot Wave Grab.
Fox trotting/dash retreat is infinitly better than dodge rolling away. Dodge rolling should only be used if you really need those invincibility frames during movement and they're using a laggy move.

And as a preview from my upcoming "new Fox techniques" project there is also a quicker dodge roll you can take advantage of if you want to master the reflex. Just press back and your grab button at roughly the same time (adjust your timing until you get it) and you'll do a dodge roll backwards almost instantly with no startup time. Not super amazing but can be helpful in some cases.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I find Stopdodge to Shine useful on percentages when your opponet is on you and you're like GTFO.

EDIT: Falco is better not just because it's the StarFox team but they're alike and can help where the other lacks.

Dxkid

Smash Apprentice
O_O wow that was Fast

Well thanks for answering my question it was on my mind for a while i always used CF but fail at some point :/

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Yeah well i've tried that and sometimes it randomly pops out. I am really trying to to this since i am getting punished if i do not XD
Mash the B button if you can't get the timing. Otherwise, practice. I could tell you the approximate timing in frames, but really, that doesn't help you at all. You have to get a feel for it.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Mash the B button if you can't get the timing. Otherwise, practice. I could tell you the approximate timing in frames, but really, that doesn't help you at all. You have to get a feel for it.
It's a little strange; but everytime I need to do a Illusion Cancel, I somehow do it.
But when I want to do it in training mode or such, it doesn't work. 0_0

spedgod

Smash Rookie
Eh, this is bugging me. Is Fox able to do the Gatling Combo?

I've tried in training for awhile, even turned down the speed. Any reasons why?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I've tried in training for awhile, even turned down the speed. Any reasons why?
The mechanics don't let him. That's really all there is to it.

spedgod

Smash Rookie
Ah, being a Fox main and seeing my counterpart being able doing this sooper cool, effective combo, that I am unfortunately unable to do (even though it's the same moves?!!?).

Just think of teh imba if Fox was able to do the Gatling Combo?

(And yes, it deserves it's own color)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Ah, being a Fox main and seeing my counterpart being able doing this sooper cool, effective combo, that I am unfortunately unable to do (even though it's the same moves?!!?).

Just think of teh imba if Fox was able to do the Gatling Combo?

(And yes, it deserves it's own color)
Falco isn't fox's counterpart; they're nothing alike.

What are Fox's best and worst stages and why?

-Johrune
Fox likes stages with low ceilings so he can KO w/ his usmash well. He likes stages w/ long alleys for lasering against slower characters. He likes stages with through-passable stages or stages where he can't really be edgeguarded (i.e. pipes).

Counterpicking stages is just as much a thing about how good your character is, as it is, how to minimize your opponent's advantage (or make them switch characters)

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
What are Fox's best and worst stages and why?

-Johrune
Fox's best stage is obviously Corneria due the low ceiling and the ability to Shine Lock the opponent to the wall there. Halberd is also a good stage for Fox, and Final Destination is also pretty good.

Fox's worst stages i gotta say are Luigi's mansion and Lylat Cruise. Luigi's mansion is bad because it blocks your lasers, which means you gotta approach, and that brings you into a disadvantage. The celing is also pretty high iirc. Lylat Cruise messes up Your Recovery, which is a bad thing.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

If you do have one please tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room and click get)

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
yeah he has the advantage in that matchup

does anybody know if Foxs second jab can be combod into shine? i was messing around with it and it sometimes worked, not sure if it can be DI'd out of

Ex-Post Facto

Smash Cadet
um ok, when hit off the stage, what move is best to DI (tech) with. i known rising fair is good to get back ON the stage, but which move will keep me from dying the best?

§witch

Smash Lord
if you're talking about breaking out of hitstun to regain control quickest, use the uair.
I always tend to use uair out of habit since I use so many other characters, but I could have sworn dair and nair would be better.

That's good to know anyways.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
What's so good about short hop double lasers all the time anyway? Could you not just spam grounded lasers for the first couple seconds then short hop as the opponent reacts?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
stupid noobish question... i just started trying fox and i have no experience in any way what-so-ever

what is wrong with foxes nair?

I know that its not the best move in the game, but i have also heard that it is a worthless move and shouldn't be used.

???

why not? is it because it isnt rewarding?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I know that its not the best move in the game, but i have also heard that it is a worthless move and shouldn't be used.
Go smack whoever told you that.

Orrax

Smash Rookie
What's so good about short hop double lasers all the time anyway? Could you not just spam grounded lasers for the first couple seconds then short hop as the opponent reacts?
They're safer. Grounded lasers have a significant recovery while short-hopped lasers have no recovery at all. That said, I think you could probably get away with them at the beginning of a match pretty consistently. Might sacrifice some spacing opportunities early on against some characters, I think? Not sure about that one.

Couple of questions of my own: What are Fox's main mixups? Also, what are his most useful frame traps?

Top Bottom