• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Um, quick question~

If fox illusions into the ledge, I know he gets RCO lag (at least it's called that iirc).

If fox dairs into an opponent and he has RCO lag, are the combos from it still likely to work?

Kuares

Pizza
Uzi, why must you destroy the my ideal model of Fox I strive to become ;_; This's the latest video I found of him. Bar the terrible DI on that throw and that he lost the set, I'd say he still plays well. He hasn't improved much playstylewise if that's what you're saying.

Aerials negate RCO
Kuro aerials don't cancel it out exactly, the landing lag from the aerials is what cancels out alot of the RCO lag(gives the aerial 1/3 more landing lag though), Autocanceling them will give you the 15/19/25 frames of vulnerability depending on the B move and fall speed.

As far as Dairing from the ledge, it honestly depends on if they're at a high enough percent/trip, just like any Dair combo's.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
alright. I'll remember that. But you def have way less if you ff nair than if you just jump onto the stage...at least it seems that way whenever i use fox or marth.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Nair doesn't have much landing lag, so maybe adding the RCO lag to that aerial is why it seems like it cancels it out.

So does nair (non fast fall I think) from the ledge sound like a good idea?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Remembering things that dont have a use are pointless lol. Like. I do it if I'm bored or w/e but there's no real point imo unless there's a very specific reason.

Also i realized from quoting before, i didnt respond to it but. Airs dont negate the lag they just reduce it.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Another question from me-

Under the fox video library thread, and under the advanced techniques, there's a video labeled "quick pivots". It shows Zeton doing...well I guess quick pivots. The thing is though, the movement looks interesting, and perhaps even applicable. Does anyone know how to do this?

It's shown around 5:45 in this video

Kuares

Pizza
Well, I found out about it after trying to incorporate pivot uptilts in my game(really strick timing, and not something you want to mess up). Eventually just figuring out how to do these Quick Pivots and getting more consistant at that.

The way I do it is by doing half a dash dance. Basically dash forward, then push the control stick the opposite direction, and then let it go back into neutral. My controller makes a pretty distinct sound when I do it, so just listen I guess.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
So I'm trying to figure out what each character can do with Diddy's Bananas, and I'm going around to each character's board asking this: does your character have any fun combos or tricks they can do specifically with Bananas? If not, you might look into it; it'd be useful both for the Diddy MU and for Doubles when your partner is a Diddy.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
So I'm trying to figure out what each character can do with Diddy's Bananas, and I'm going around to each character's board asking this: does your character have any fun combos or tricks they can do specifically with Bananas? If not, you might look into it; it'd be useful both for the Diddy MU and for Doubles when your partner is a Diddy.
Most people right off the bat say "jump toss nanna to upsmash", but fox could actually do more than that.

Uh, I've been very busy lately. I was actually thinking about making a video about nanna combos this weekend, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it.

crifer

Smash Lord
- jc item toss to usmash/dash attack/grab/whatever of course
- fullhop dthrow, catch the nana with cstick down while drifting a little bit away to jc item toss to usmash/dash attack/grab
- using bair´s shieldknockback to push them onto a nana to usmash/dash attack/grab

and i guess more things ^^

knuckles213

Smash Ace
don't forget the drop the nana (in front of the opponent) to an empty SH to grab (in front or behind of the oppenent) or drop the nana (in front of the opponent) to SH bair shield knock back to push them onto a nana (do behind them) to usmash/dash attack/grab; and if you can throw an utilt in there.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hey Foxes!

I'm a Peach main and I was thinking about learning Fox as a secondary. Good idea? Completely stupid?

In any case, I've given the threads a read and was just wondering what I should work on first. I've tried doing the SHTL and Illusion Cancel with little luck... any advice with this? Thanks <3 <3 <3

knuckles213

Smash Ace
Hey Foxes!

I'm a Peach main and I was thinking about learning Fox as a secondary. Good idea? Completely stupid?

In any case, I've given the threads a read and was just wondering what I should work on first. I've tried doing the SHTL and Illusion Cancel with little luck... any advice with this? Thanks <3 <3 <3
Said by Uzi:

PROS:
-No trouble Ko'ing
-Has Arguably the best Upsmash in the game
-one of the fastest characters
-Fastest Faller in the game(this can work against you also)
-Best reflector in the game
-Can out camp most of the cast
-Solid aerial game with multi-hit aerials
-Best recovery of all the spacies

CONS:
-7th lightest character
-Mediocre at approaching
-Fast falling makes him vulnerable to several CG's and locks
-Mediocre grab range
-Doesn't posses many long range moves
-A harder learning curve then many characters
-has a linear gameplay

Fox is a fast character. You always have to be moving and staying on your toes. You have to become fluent between switching between camping, aggression, and defense, as well when known when to implement each, to be successful with fox.

My words:
some just pick up for DK and D3, but other than that fox is only useful if your going to seriously main him, but I'd say ask TKD for the pros and cons

TKD's words

Fox is hard

Why? (you get rusty easy with him)

You have to play your risk vs reward, of course. You can't approach Falco before you have 28%, for example. There it's all baiting (for laggy stuff of his, or blocking on a platform in case he HS nair from below to shieldgrab it etc) and projectile game.

There's also situations like MK at the ledge. You can rarely attack that (the odds for that choice are astronomically out of your favor), so you don't.

You can't go against your odds. That's why also while just landing with aerial/airdodge would be the aggro/impatient choice, the odds are COMPLETELY AGAINST YOU that way and you should shine first.

Some things just make you out to lose. Those you shouldn't do, and it involves good defensive game, good recoveries and avoiding chaingrabs.

I considered going by your odds to be an obvious thing. When risk vs reward is balanced though, lately I've always found going for the counter options and surprises with constant action to do better than waiting things out. You only need 1 hit to follow up into a ton of damage.

The principles I recommend are these:
+ Always be doing something even if it's baiting. Constant action, no dead time.
+ Always go in favor of your odds (for example, your opponent in the air are extremely favorable odds: will you go follow up, or run away from him and shoot lasers?)

I understand it may be about the best of both worlds because you have to camp Ganondorf, HARD. We **** him but we can't really approach him. We have to wait at a range where we have time to react to his downb with our blocking. Well, that's what I think. One of the best Ganondorf players in the world lives in my region.

A counter example would be NAKAT vs Will though, where you've seen NAKAT camp all day, giving the opponent free positioning, and running away after landing a hit to shoot more lasers, instead of dealing major damage to a character that's very easy to combo for as long as possible. It CAN work, but it doesn't compare to optimum game play. Still, only change the fact that he should follow up every time he's in advantage, and maybe the style works.

This is like, DON'T GO AGGRO IF THE ODDS AREN'T IN YOUR FAVOR (you've just been hit, your opponent has momentum, you're on defense). You may hit your opponent in these situations, but it's unlikely.
GO AGGRO IF THE ODDS ARE IN YOUR FAVOR (you've just hit the opponent, you have the momentum, you're on offense). Your opponent may hit you in these situations, but it's unlikely and not very risky/damaging.

You also need to recognize counters. For example, Snake landing ftilt1 on you is actually neutral if he doesn't finish it. You can spam shieldgrab and grab him before he grabs you if he tries to do that, since his grab is slower. Jabs will work too, but I don't like panic jabbing as Fox because of his rapids. This is a situation where defense is bad, and offense is bad, but there's a good counter (although backroll will put you in safety often, and spotdodge MAY work).

Knowing your odds is essential.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Well, now the post above me will help in deciding if I'll pick up Fox now. =P

Bing

Smash Master
wow that was a solid post Knuckles.

I love Fox and Completely agree with everything that he posted.

The only thing I dont agree with is the rust part. I dont think you get THAT rusty with him, but I can also see what he means.

Jet300

Smash Ace
Can anyone explain the Mario MU? It's been like 4 years and I still didn't played a Mario.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
wow that was a solid post Knuckles.

I love Fox and Completely agree with everything that he posted.

The only thing I dont agree with is the rust part. I dont think you get THAT rusty with him, but I can also see what he means.
At high level if you dont play fox consistently you will get hella rusty. it is REALLY a pain, means you have to work at him for much longer.

Can anyone explain the Mario MU? It's been like 4 years and I still didn't played a Mario.
I dont even understand

anyways just do the usual stuff. mario is really easy to deal with, just watch out for the cape when you are recovering.

Top Bottom