• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
It's way incomplete but me and TKD was doing something along those lines a while back.

Have fun figuring out the rest. Oh, if you want, I happen to still have the data on my cpu (idk if it's more updated than the thread or not, can't be ***** to make sure) and I can give it to you.

DeadRabbit

Smash Rookie
Wassup Fox people. My younger brother is trying to get into competitive Brawl as a Fox main with me, and I want to ask some advice on his behalf (he doesn't have an account). I have read through the guides for him, but it is very technical for a beginner like him (and as a D3 main, I can't give him any relevant advice), and so I was wondering if you could all give me your brief ideas of the essentials of competitive Fox play. He knows how to play Fox btw, but not at the level needed for the Houston scene. I would greatly appreciate any advice, as I am a horrible teacher, and I understand this is where the masters are. Thanks.

BlizzyWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlizzyWuff
Foxes are patient.
Foxes do not approach... normally
Dont downair on a shield or you get shieldgrabbed
Foxes are meant to force the opponent to approach with lasers when punish the person for approaching, repeat
Learn how to short hop laser, whether it be single lasers or triple lasers - so you can force the approach - standing lasers have too much lag
Fox is a hard character to play consistently and learn
Most important thing is to be patient, because a purely aggressive fox will be BAD. :p
D3 cant chaingrab fox >:3

That's all I got now, might not understand it all yet but there are enough resources in these threads and more people to ask so you can understand

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
He looks good~ I dunno about him being the best in EU currently because I don't live in there but he definitely looks good. But for some reason, whenever I watch someone SHDL, it just makes me cringe for some reason lol but that's just me. Can't judge him can I? Well, I remember what I liked about his Fox play style. I think it was his close-quarter-combat part... I don't know but it seemed quite unique.
EDIT: Oh my... I get to see how Sodrek look like on that video~ Because I don't know that many Smashers and their faces lol. Oh and how I wish Fox had a bit of stun in his lasers too... I feel that if his lasers had stuns, that could have made Fox much more dangerous and strong...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Sodrek is better than CRZ has ever been tbh. CRZ was alright and he had a couple of really good matchups but in terms of overall playstyle Sodrek is more creative and versatile and his results are way more consistent.

:059:

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
By the way, I meant no offense with that SHDL comment though. It's just me hating on SHDL that is all. I have never been a fan of it lol. Anyways, did you win that tourney??

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Well, 9th out of 30 is not so bad imo. Well, I am sorry to hear that brackets were stacked. How did Sodrek place though?

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
yeah, i placed 2nd ._. that tourney was my chance, diddy kong is so freakin hard :\ im going snake or marth next time

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I guess that is true, so close to being the best in the tournament... Regardless, I was starting to think it was near impossible for Fox to place that well but good job as I said before!

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
i used marth in WB0 against desti and 1 match snake against akuma. The rest with fox

PackAttack91

Smash Rookie
Some questions from a newer player:

1) What is the Fox's best move for momentum canceling?

2) Does Fox have any true combos outside of up tilt at low percent? Does he have a chain grab like Falco?

3) What are the best follow-ups to a jab cancel?

Jet300

Smash Ace
Some questions from a newer player:

1) What is the Fox's best move for momentum canceling?

2) Does Fox have any true combos outside of up tilt at low percent? Does he have a chain grab like Falco?

3) What are the best follow-ups to a jab cancel?

1) Fair and Bair

2) Fox has no chain grab like falco

3) JJC > Grab

JPUF

Smash Rookie
When playing the Snake MU, I find it hard to get past Ftilt as Fox. I know bair out ranges the first hit of Snake's ftilt, but that's not always practical. Can a ftilt on block be punished? I've tried dash grabs, and dash attack, but both are just jabbed away unless the Snake spaces really badly (which is unlikely).

Wusi

Smash Cadet
1) Fair and Bair

2) Fox has no chain grab like falco

1) Uair

2) if your last dair hit connects as you land, you can utilt/grab/jab/shine, would just go for grab if the dair connected at 0% because dair to utilt from 0% wont connect into another utilt, due to the opponent not leaving the ground from an utilt at such low percentage.

JPUF: if you predict an ftilt 1 mixup, just dash attack/usmash him as you block the first hit. blocking the full ftilt is a definite dashgrab/atk/usmash punish.

PZ

Smash Lord
Alright so fox can jump out of shine in this game when he reflects a projectile but what I am curious about is on what frame can you do this? I saw it in "True Showdown" by Versat13

Tsukuyo

Smash Rookie
Just out of curiosity, I pretty much main Fox, but I've been using the Wiimote on it's own up until recently...Everyone says the GC controller is better, but I can't get one, leaving me stranded with Wiimote + Nunchuck as the 'best' option...(Should I switch controls after a few years of using Wiimote?)

What's a Fox-friendly configuration for Wiimote + Nunchuck?

Wusi

Smash Cadet
Alright so fox can jump out of shine in this game when he reflects a projectile but what I am curious about is on what frame can you do this? I saw it in "True Showdown" by Versat13
instantly after reflecting it

can't help you with that tsukuyo, I use a GCC. :S though number one thing that gets changed is turning tapjump off. it can be annoying because it can eventually eat your doublejump while up-bing or doing a uair, or trying to uptilt ( =usmash).

PZ

Smash Lord
Thanks for the answer.
@ T Tsukuyo I may not use fox and recently picked up wiimote+nunchuck for curiosity and other reasons but my friend (mains fox) no matter what controller he uses would turn tap jump off. In my opinion once you learn to jump using a button it is more inconvient to do so with a control stick for DI purposes and execution.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Hello Fox Boards.
Im not a Fox main, but I do have a question to ask.

As we know, Fox gets a notable slide from his Pivot Walk. Now the thing I'm wondering is if this can be combined with Drillshine. Hear me out.

In a Pivot Walk, you can do all of your attacks, just like a wavedash. Now the drillshine in Melee is often done several times via dair→shine→wavedash→dair→shine etc.

Now in Brawl we don't have wavedashing. But Pivot Walking gives almost the same result. So would it be possible to dair w/ the L/R button set to Attack, hold the L/R, Shine, Pivot Walk towards them, release L/R, then press L/R and the down direction on the control stick simultaneously to dair, shine, Pivot Walk repeat? I know that the timing is really tight but so is the Drillshine in Melee.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Quick question regarding the CCP controller.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to shtl with it? I know pretty much everyone here uses the GCC so it's been hard to find any info specifically about shtl with the CCP. Maybe I didn't search hard enough..

Jet3000

Smash Apprentice
Quick question regarding the CCP controller.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to shtl with it? I know pretty much everyone here uses the GCC so it's been hard to find any info specifically about shtl with the CCP. Maybe I didn't search hard enough..
Set the L button to jump. Once you do that, press L and B at the same time. Make sure you press b 3 times.

I use the CCP controller.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Set the L button to jump. Once you do that, press L and B at the same time. Make sure you press b 3 times.
Ok, I'll try that. I actually found a way to do it semi consistently but it ended up being somewhat tiresome and painful:ohwell:. Thanks for your suggestion.

RPK

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXUdv3cj1Zg&list=UUkWi4gY65PQ4ViDanjn8q5Q&feature=c4-overview
Ive found out that if you walk, foxtrot in the other direction, and then initiate a slow run, you can then do a full length dash upsmash, but reversed. It can't be hyphen smashed, so you have to perform a JC'd Upsmash since during the turn around animation, you cant perform a hyphen smash. I have a couple ideas for them, and tested some out with some decent success, but I just wanted to get your opinions on it. The only one that is successful so far is the run past their shield, and upsmash them from behind so they wont be able to shield grab you. In addition with the length of the dash, and the shieldstun/push from the upsmash might make this a safe option on block. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Also, Rickster, I suggest sliding your thumb from Y to B and mash out the button as fast as you can 3 times, and then let go. And by sliding your thumb, I mean using the tip of your thumb for the Y button, and the middle of your thumb for the B button. If you do that, youll actually buffer the 3 lasers, and even give you time inbetween to rest.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I do have a setup similar to that except I slide my whole thumb from Y to B them hit ZL twice. It's probably what's making it uncomfortable. Thanks for your advice. This will probably work better.

Wusi

Smash Cadet
what is the best thing to do in this situation: you dash attack someone, it connects, he's slightly above you now, you except him to land with an aerial and try to powershield it, but they airdodge behind you instead. do you just get out of there or what do you do? =x

BigmouthCreator

Smash Rookie
what is the best thing to do in this situation: you dash attack someone, it connects, he's slightly above you now, you except him to land with an aerial and try to powershield it, but they airdodge behind you instead. do you just get out of there or what do you do? =x
What if you tried to SH Bair autocancel? It could punish any movement options, probably beat out any attack/grab and is mostly safe on shield.

Last edited:
Top Bottom