• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
why arnt u allowed to enter your on tourney? i do it all the time.

beaumont is pretty far away but if im promised housing, i might go there this summer to see u guys if u want.

to pimpslap: dont counter pick mario kart level

Esca

Smash Champion
guys, yall need to come out to beaumont, it's only about an hour and a half.

edit: Guys, i'm really sick of only playing 2 people around here, and it would be greatly appreciated if you guys came out. the bigger the turnout, the bigger the prize.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace

beaumont is pretty far away but if im promised housing, i might go there this summer to see u guys if u want.

idk it's just a rule my job made, but im allowed to offer more prize for the winner playing me.

and i have no idea about the housing thing, im sure during the summer i could come up with something

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
well the 14th-15th im trying to have a huge event. but if my plans fall thru, i will be at yours.

Esca

Smash Champion
xyro, if you want, a bunch of you houston guys can stay over here, i'm about 10 minutes from where the tournaments are held, and i'm about 5 minutes from take, we have food and a gigantic living room with a 60 in. tv, and some plasmas, so i mean, you guys are welcome to crash here for Fight Night on June 14, as Takeurlife2 mentioned.

CY

Smash Ace
eh, the tournament next week is gonna be small unless some houston people show up. it hasn't really been advertised around here.

is teh stiltz coming?

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
well the 14th-15th im trying to have a huge event. but if my plans fall thru, i will be at yours.
Ah, that'd be nice. Cuz I can't be at the June 7th tourney. :\

Anyhow...Ike pwns. :p

Don't get me wrong, I'm still maining Link, but Ike is just too fun. It's really refreshing to use him instead of Link sometimes, in the sense that instead of using a very complex character with a bazillion different moves and tactics to use, I'm using a guy that simply runs up an bludgeones people with a gargantuan two-handed sword. It's also easy as pie to switch between the two chars.

That being said, I'm dropping Lucas as my alt and replacing him with Ike.

Cuz Ike pwns. :p

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord

to Xyro are you banning DDD chain grab?

Golf i will eat your family with..... um i guess lucario? lolz come to AXXO"S today to smash you to TGM:)

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Ding, you should come to our Fight Night in Beaumont, its gonna be great.
Well, the distance between Houston and Beaumont ftl...
and finals ftl. Sorry, unless there is a divine miracle that includes my house teleporting/flying via hurricane to Beaumont, I don't think I'll be able to come. :(

In other news today, Ike pwns. I just can't say it enough...Ike pwns. :p

Esca

Smash Champion
Well it's only about an hour and 15 minutes away, if you rode with someone like Popertop or axxo or pimp, i'm sure if they're going they wouldn't mind an extra body.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
i just look over like 3 pages...about 70% of them were spam...20% how to do with challenging hylian and the IC st00f and 10% didn't even make sense...want has happy in this two days i been away from the boards?
on another note you guys should take a look at my sig shop...my work is beefing up...and i a gettin better

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
I'll be attending the beaumont tournament this weekend.

See.Why. : Should be fun owning you : P. j/k. Try not going into matches with that mentality, it's the first step to beating "top" players/ getting better

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
See.Why. : Should be fun owning you : P. j/k. Try not going into matches with that mentality, it's the first step to beating "top" players
Very true. If you go to a tourney with the assumption that you will win, it will TOTALLY mess up your playing style if you're losing, considering it's next to impossible to keep a cool head when you're losing and you wanna win. On top of that, it's nervewrecking to defend a title. So why defend a title that doesn't exist? Thusly, instead of assuming you'll win, assume you'll lose.

Actually, the best thing to do is to not assume anything at all until after the first match. In the meantime, study your opponent's playing style, memorize which of his moves trump yours and vice versa, and watch out for his tricks. If either of you switch characters, repeat the process.

The one other thing that can possibly help someone to win is sheer experience and preparation, so that you feel more comfortable playing in tourney matches. Those are just my thoughts on tourney matches. I felt like throwing em out there cuz I'm bored.

And Ike pwns. :p

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
Very true. If you go to a tourney with the assumption that you will win, it will TOTALLY mess up your playing style if you're losing, considering it's next to impossible to keep a cool head when you're losing and you wanna win. On top of that, it's nervewrecking to defend a title. So why defend a title that doesn't exist? Thusly, instead of assuming you'll win, assume you'll lose.

Actually, the best thing to do is to not assume anything at all until after the first match. In the meantime, study your opponent's playing style, memorize which of his moves trump yours and vice versa, and watch out for his tricks. If either of you switch characters, repeat the process.

The one other thing that can possibly help someone to win is sheer experience and preparation, so that you feel more comfortable playing in tourney matches. Those are just my thoughts on tourney matches. I felt like throwing em out there cuz I'm bored.

And Ike pwns. :p
Lol I think you misinterpreted what I meant to convey, though I do admit my grammar was a bit shoddy. Everytime I go into a match, I go in believing I can win. In some instances I believe because I am the more skilled player, others because I believe a little luck is all I need to surmount whatever disadvantage I'm at. Even if I fall behind, I tell myself "Hey, this guy can make mistakes of the same magnitude that I just made." Though at times this is very untrue considering the extent of my own mistakes, it's what I use to avoid intimidation and desperation affecting my playing ability. Crazy, unlucky s*** goes on in this world, who's to say your match won't be an instance of that.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Don't worry about how you place in a tourney, just focus on your next opponent and worry about beating them. You'll do better this way.

I'd go to the Beaumont tourney this coming Saturday if I didn't have work. Work sucks. :(

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
What are the details for this Beaumont thing again?
15$ entry, starts at 8 pm

registration ends at 8

we do the prize distribution differently because my job, against my will as a competitive player, relies on tourneys for a bit of income.

so, just to make it less confusing, if there are 20+ people, the prize will be 100+ dollars.

it will be at gamecove in beaumont, the rules will not be crap because i am running it, and i know how a smash tourney is supposed to be.

really, the only thing different will be the turnout, and a lack of time for friendlies.

if you want some guarenteed time for friendlies, make sure you show up early.

if you need more info on location, which you will unless you have been there before, hit me up on pm.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
What are the details for this Beaumont thing again?
This is the venue's rarely used website.

www.gamecoveonline.com

Any other questions you have would be best answered through PMing takerurlife2 until he decides to make a post or thread of the details for the tourney. In my opinion, the venue needs to reconsider it's entry fee method and purse that is given to the winners. Otherwise it's the best lazer-tag/restaraunt/pottery class/console arcade venue I know of.

I can give good directions for most of houston since I go there quite a bit and there's only one desirable path for a majority of the houston area.

heytallman

CTALL
I can't make it this weekend 'cause wisdom teeth, but I am all over the June 14th one.
Getting wisdom teeth out sucks, I was out for a week before I could do anything,. and even then I was really weak after that. Hope everything goes well for you.

That being said, I'm dropping Lucas as my alt and replacing him with Ike.

Cuz Lucas pwns my face. :p
I'm sorry we can't all be able to stand up to even a fraction of Lucas' awesomeness, but stuff happens. Lucas is just too good for you I guess.

I won't be able to enter the tournament on June 7, but I plan on being there for some part of it. I have a tryout for a battle of the bands that day, but I plan on playing some friendlies and maybe some MMs there. Also, what's going on on the 14th? I've heard people talking about that day, but I have no idea what's going on. Details, plox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom