• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Flip, 1$ ganon ditto.

Also i just realized 5 of Brawl's best metaknights are coming to HOBO 11. M2K,DSF,Dojo, Affinity and Infinity.
>.>

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Flip, 1$ ganon ditto.

Also i just realized 5 of Brawl's best metaknights are coming to HOBO 11. M2K,DSF,Dojo, Affinity and Infinity.
>.>
Okay Best of 3 1$ money match...

So Far I have
Keef=$2
Ozz=$1

7 Dollars left for MM

Gea

Smash Master
If we do pools, tell me ahead of time and I'll print out some sheets to keep track of each pool instead of trying to hand write all that crap.

Also pick pool leaders ahead of time for great justice. As in, make sure they know everything so there won't be pools run wrong. Pools also help seeding because they weed out all of the lesser players and almost seed themselves into the bracket by ranking.

Its pretty much win/win.

Pools would be epic though, especially for the entry free price.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There really should be pools...

Also, I can probably go early to help move stuff around if needed.

Gea

Smash Master
i think we should either make the bracket larger than 32(after pools) or make sure the pools are VERY WELL DONE. Im thinking between 32 and 64 should be allright.
Pools take a long time. 64 man bracket after pools would be LOOOONG with a loser's bracket. Assuming there's... say... 150 people. That's something like 15 pools of 10 people with at least 3 advancing from each. 3 advancing from a pool of 10 is good... but that's still 45 people to run through both a losers and winners bracket before doubles can even begin.

I guess it comes down to how many setups we have.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Also, we need to seed the good players apart from each other reasonably in pools; A single pool with Azen, M2K, Edresses, DSF, Hylian, Etc. would suck because only 3 of them or whatever number it is would be able to advance to brackets.

Basically, don't load individual pools with too many good players. The same can be said for having too many lesser players in an individual pool.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
We're landing in Houston, then taking a car from the airport to Planet Zero.

EDIT: It looks like the airport we're landing in is 40min away from Planet Zero.

Looks like one of two things are gonna happen:

-
1) We're gonna land in Houston Saturday morning, then hightail it to Planet Zero.

2) Nynja's gonna try and change our flight from Saturday morning to Friday night, then someone can pick us up and take us up to your place for housing (Stealth?).
-

I should be able to give you an answer before tomorrow.
Okie Dokie. Just let me know. I want to make sure that y'all taken care of for the weekend.

Gea

Smash Master
Also, we need to seed the good players apart from each other reasonably in pools; A single pool with Azen, M2K, Edresses, DSF, Hylian, Etc. would suck because only 3 of them or whatever number it is would be able to advance to brackets.

Basically, don't load individual pools with too many good players. The same can be said for having too many lesser players in an individual pool.

Well that's what benefits pools generally provide. You split up your best players by making them (generally) pool leaders, pad with some good players but aren't going to win the tournament players, then the unknowns take up the majority of the pool.

Since multiple people make it out of a pool and then each pool is ranked, this (usually) ensures that the actual bracket is then seeded better than it would have been had pools never existed.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I think pools will be a good idea IMO you generally get more matches in, but still time consuming ._.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
ill be flying into lAH, msg me on aim: royal nynja

oh guess ya know already, if im not able to get some one to cover me on friday then we'll have to leave sat moring and arrive in houston at 1150, if so we wont make it there til 1230 would that be too late to enter?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Furbs, invite Gnes to your house. Set a trap for him. ;)

Flip, I want to play you if the UH thing happens this Thursday. :)

Gea

Smash Master
What are pools anyways?
Pools are where instead of playing one person then "moving on a round" like in bracket, you are split up into groups of people. Everyone in each group (or "pool") plays each other in usually a set or just 2 matches. Wins are recorded and the top few players from each pool move on into a bracket, where everyone else is knocked out.

Pools take longer but everyone gets to play more matches in the end and you can't john about bad bracket knocking you out extra early.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
lol i AM a trap.........wait........nevermind i don't have long hair anymore.......hyliannnnnnn :p

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Pools are where instead of playing one person then "moving on a round" like in bracket, you are split up into groups of people. Everyone in each group (or "pool") plays each other in usually a set or just 2 matches. Wins are recorded and the top few players from each pool move on into a bracket, where everyone else is knocked out.

Pools take longer but everyone gets to play more matches in the end and you can't john about bad bracket knocking you out extra early.
Ah, so that's what they are. Someone at my school said how he was in pools before, but he had to leave before the first round of people he had to brawl were done.

Also, thanks for the non-troll post, unlike Furbs ;)

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...the price change, and a recent series of unfortunate events make me really not want to go to this next one. If there will be pools, however, then FREAKIN SWEET! I loves t3h poolz! More matches with more ppl!!! :D I'm in!

Gea

Smash Master
Yes. That's supposed to seed into the bracket so that all of the people who placed best in their pool are seperated as far away from each other as possible and have to play the people who did worst in their pools first. Its incentive and reward for placing well in your pool while at the same time ensuring that good players don't knock each other out.

If they do the placing "correctly" it will just say you got ___th out of ____ in your pool (assuming you never made it to bracket).

But basically you lose, oh well. Still, it gives mediocre players a chance to play more than two sets.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
whaaa!? that wasn't a troll it was a joke!

go easy on me im still learning the way of the troll, but i guess thats why you're the master :D
Gamefaqs son, gamefaqs.

(Yes, sadly that was the first site I ever joined lol, and even more sad, I'm one of the few people who ever makes serious posts there).

Edit: Yes, come Dingding, pools or not, you still need to come! If you say no then I'll have to talk you into it tomorrow at lunch lol, if I'm at school that is, I'm sick right now so... I might stay home tomorrow depending on how I feel.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
EDREES! pools? y/n?

EDIT: also i support pools, i also support the gold standard!

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
and put me in edreese's pool with ganon only ;)

Also, on the topic of time: if the pools are run efficiently (which they are because matches are played very consistently) and enough people are eliminated by them, you get about the same speed as just a DE bracket. The pool leaders just need to make sure and hold their players accountable and ensure matches are reported immediately. On top of that, you can use a 3 stock 6 minute limit to ensure nothing goes too long. We've actually been going over the idea of using 2 stock best 2 of 3 in pools and 3 stock in bracket; so you could do that too.

Either way, you should have pools bc of higher entry fee and the dropoff that will probably happen after singles anyway.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Gay, I posted right after Xyro.

Dude, pools doesn't take much longer at all as long as the pool leaders know wtf they are doing.

Also, Xyro, the point of seeding is to make the noobs play the pros :p A higher seed allows you the privilege of not knocking out other people or getting knocked out by other people of your same skill.

Gea

Smash Master
You best make sure to tell everyone to bring setups Allan, as last time you didn't have enough room for all of them so some people might not bring theirs this time.

And yeah, pools take awhile, but he's right. IF you can hold everyone actually there, they can run just as quickly. But people are not attentive, especially at large events, so pools take forever. Starting at 2 isn't helping time constraints either.

But at the same time I totally agree. For the entry fee, pools would be optimal.

Just lay down the law about "no show for pools, in two minutes you're DQ'd. Tell someone where you're going or face getting DQ'd." and group TVs in 2-3 sets for each pool. That's ASSUMING we have more floorspace.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
And like I said, you can throw on a 6 minute timer as well to ensure matches can't go to 8. You can also use the 2 stock format to make things run quicker.

And quite frankly, I don't think we should modify the tournament just because a handful of people made poor travel arrangements and need to leave early. If they did a crap job of scheduling themselves, then it's their problem, not ours.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So how do overall placings work in pools? The better you do in your pool the higher place you get..?
This is what I tell my friends at every tournament:

"Don't worry about what kind of tournament it is. Just try to win."

Everything else works itself out.

EDIT:
And quite frankly, I don't think we should modify the tournament just because a handful of people made poor travel arrangements and need to leave early. If they did a crap job of scheduling themselves, then it's their problem, not ours.
This.

:jigglypuf

Gea

Smash Master
And like I said, you can throw on a 6 minute timer as well to ensure matches can't go to 8. You can also use the 2 stock format to make things run quicker.

That and getting pool leaders that know WTF is going on ahead of time helps astronomically.

But if we're stressed for TVs and space, pools aren't going to fly regardless.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
However, i will PERSONALY seed the brackets and make sure you trashy people dont get M2K(and other pros) first. if anything.....i take him on first........ROFLMFAO.

Does this mean that if someone were to change their name to something extremely random and not like them then they'd get easier brackets? xD. 't would be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom