• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
I could of posted the entire list, there's been a really good sale all month.

I just bought ANOTHER copy of SMT Nocturne from gamefly.

My wallet...it cries.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Oh what the heck! Tree your avatar is amazing! Do you have the full picture?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Just watched, The Mist.

Sorry guys, that ending was absolutely ********.

You are going to sit here and tell me, that even after ALL of their faithful actions towards staying alive... they are just going to sit there and let the man assist them in suicide?

They were in more danger INSIDE the pharmacy, the grocery store, hell... even when RUNNING outside multiple times including trying to get in the car. They left absolutely no impression of suicide even when under the most dire consequences (which were far worse than the one they were currently in). They even tried to talk people out of going into the mist, ran to a pharmacy keep a burning man alive, peeled away webs on a man that's clearly going to die with monsters directly in front of them... I mean, wow... LOL

Where did the bullets even come from? The guy who knew how to aim and shoot properly ran out of them like a whole day before they even killed themselves.

How or why did the mist/monsters suddenly disappear?
Why didn't the bug kill the religious lady?

Most importantly, HOW DID THEY NOT HEAR TANKS, FLAMETHROWERS, AND HELICOPTERS FIVE SECONDS OUTSIDE OF THEIR CAR on a silent road right before they committed suicide? Let's not forget the fact that you can't "blame the mist" as some sort of sound barrier, because they could hear the monsters and feel them shaking the ground right before it happened.

I understood the "plot twist approach". What I don't understand is how you can make an ending like that when none of the events before it logically lead up to it. It was an extremely pessimistic and nihilistic approach to the ending, which could have been okay if it was more justified with different events beforehand. Just my opinion.

Other than that, pretty solid movie.

Acting was a little rough here and there, but the movie played out just how I expected it too. Nothing really out of the ordinary, other than the ending. I liked the interactions between the characters, but I felt as though there could have been a lot more buildup than what was given to us.

Few interesting things to note, that I recognized:

The people at the end on the military trucks were the same people in the grocery store.
How in the world did they load that many people, then drive all the way over there in that period of time?

Where did the initial black guy go. Did he just die?

Did the mist cover the rest of the earth, or just this town?

Every prediction the religious lady made was true.
Including the one about sacrificing the boy and woman then the mist going away.

Wouldn't watch again, but it was a fun first ride.

7/10 for me.

z00ted

wtf bro, i didnt block you

edit: lmfao at my grammar mistakes at 6:09 AM last night

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Sorry guys, that ending was absolutely ********.

You are going to sit here and tell me, that even after ALL of their faithful actions towards staying alive... they are just going to sit there and let the man assist them in suicide?

They were in more danger INSIDE the pharmacy, the grocery store, hell... even when RUNNING outside multiple times including trying to get in the car. They left absolutely no impression of suicide even when under the most dire consequences (which were far worse than the one they were currently in). They even tried to talk people out of going into the mist, ran to a pharmacy keep a burning man alive, peeled away webs on a man that's clearly going to die with monsters directly in front of them... I mean, wow... LOL
Maybe you missed the point of the ending.

The reason why they left the store.....

1. The store would run out of supplies(food/meds....ect) really fast due to over 25+ people in the store..
2. The store front window/wall was broken and thus monsters could get in even easier than they already did(the flying bug monsters)
3. The crazy religious lady was slowly killing off the crowd for "god."
4. The main characters were unsure of how far the mist reached so they thought there IS a chance its ONLY over the town that was covered.
5. They were unsure if help would arrive.

Because of those reasons, they felt they had a better chance of survival if they left the store and searched for help/freedom.

As to why the main character killed(assisted suicide) everybody in the car.....

1. They drove by homes/neighborhoods. All were attacked by monsters, no survivors. Even the main character's home(his wife was shown dead). This gives the feeling of "are we the only ones left?"
2. The streets were empty and the cars were destroyed with dead bodies on both. This gives the feeling of "are we the only ones left?"
3. There was a certain scene at the end that showed the heroes in the car driving under an interstate sign that said something like "go this way to XYZ(some capital city of the state they were in)." This gives off the impression that maybe the mist DID take over the world/State. Because of that scene, it gives the heroes a feeling of "maybe the end of the world has come. the mist has taken over."
4. They were in the middle of no where and the gas in the car ran out/the monsters could be heard outside. This told the heroes "welp, we tried and we failed." And killing ones self is far less painful than what the monsters would do to you.

Because of these things, why would you wanna live anymore?

Where did the bullets even come from? The guy who knew how to aim and shoot properly ran out of them like a whole day before they even killed themselves.
IIRC, when the gun was first introduced, either the girl or the markman said there were 10-12(cant remember) bullets. 2-3 were used when the monsters broken in the window. 2-3 were used on the crazy religious lady. i think 2-3 were used in the parking lot while they were running to the car. 4 were used in the assisted suicide. Thats about 10-12 bullets.

Though it may or may not apply to this movie, its COMMON in ALL movies that have guns to have someone shoot massive amounts of ammo without reloading/knowing where the ammo came from. This is typical. This aspect should not detract from your rating of the movie.

How or why did the mist/monsters suddenly disappear?
They didn't disappear. They just may not have been in all the areas the main characters drove into at the end of the movie. Remember, the grocery store was located kinda near the mountain where the portal was opened/monsters came out. As the drove away from the store, the farther away the got from the mass amount of monsters. So the numbers of monsters would naturally be lower.

Why didn't the bug kill the religious lady?
There are 3 reasons that i know of.

1. It "proved" that "god" was "watching over" the "chosen one/messenger" which was what she told everybody she was. And if you notice, after she survived that that ordeal, she became even MORE crazy(she finally TRULY BELIEVED that she is the chosen one) and the people became more obedient towards her because they SAW it.

2. Think about it, wouldn't that be TOTALLY AWESOME to see her die from the monsters she fed the people to? yes it would. but because she is the BAD GUY and because its a MOVIE based off of a BOOK, there is no way they would give her the easy way out.

3. Notice how she was CALM when the bug got on her? Now notice the people that got STUNG were panicking/screaming/fighting? Im positive there is a link there.

Most importantly, HOW DID THEY NOT HEAR TANKS, FLAMETHROWERS, AND HELICOPTERS FIVE SECONDS OUTSIDE OF THEIR CAR on a silent road right before they committed suicide? Let's not forget the fact that you can't "blame the mist" as some sort of sound barrier, because they could hear the monsters and feel them shaking the ground right before it happened.
Think for a sec. The main character had to survive several days in a grocery store with a crazy religious woman who had anybody she didnt like killed. He witness unearthly monsters and death(the burned guy/hot girl getting stung/military guy getting stabbed) DAILY. On top of that, he had to kill his son/hot girl/old man/old woman and wait for death/monsters to come and get him(btw, his wife is dead too). Hes in ultimate pain/sadness/anger. Do you really think a person who went through all of that going to be hearing/thinking clearly? So as he hears the military tanks/trucks(the calvary) coming, he thinks its the monsters coming for him. He couldnt SEE the monsters coming because 1) he wasnt looking in any direction but directly at his car and 2) the mist provide a visibility less than 100 feet.

I understood the "plot twist approach". What I don't understand is how you can make an ending like that when none of the events before it logically lead up to it. It was an extremely pessimistic and nihilistic approach to the ending, which could have been okay if it was more justified with different events beforehand. Just my opinion.
Rewatch the movie after you read what i posted and it will become what you call "logical"

Acting was a little rough here and there, but the movie played out just how I expected it too. Nothing really out of the ordinary, other than the ending. I liked the interactions between the characters, but I felt as though there could have been a lot more buildup than what was given to us.
Its a movie filled with no name characters and the the MAIN character is at BEST a "B" rated actor. Dont expect a academy award performance from the actors or movie.

The people at the end on the military trucks, were the same people in the grocery store.
How in the world did they load that many people, then drive all the way over there in that period of time?
IIRC(and i could be wrong), the people riding in the military trucks were NOT the grocery store people. The only person you should recognize in the trucks would be the lady at the beginning who left the store as the mist appeared.

If this is not the case........its still ok because you do not know how long the main heroes were out on the road from the time they left the store to the time the main hero was saved by the military. The only think we DO know is that the tank of gas was EMPTY and the main heroes were sleeping in the car. With this, you can ASSUME(not confirm) that they were driving for 5-8 hours(i agree with this statement because my truck nearly dies after a trip to SA and back without filling up). This is plenty of time for the military to pack up the 25+ people in the grocery store.

Where did the initial black guy go, did he just die?
Black guy? the black military guy?

IIRC, hes the dead guy in the pharmacy. Remember he was the one that busted open with the spiders.

Or are you talking about the black guy the main character met like 10mins into the movie? aka his neighbor. He went out into the mist early on and was killed. You hear the monster and his screams as hes being destroyed.

Did the mist cover the rest of the earth, or just this town?
As i said before, its hinted that the mist not only covered the city but potentially the state and later on the world.

Every prediction the religious lady made, was true.
Including the one about sacrificing the boy and woman, then the mist would go away.
Other than the mist going away, she was right about everything. Kinda creepy.

Wouldn't watch again, but it was a fun first ride.

7/10 for me.
7/10 is a fair score. i agree.

z00ted

Xyro, the mist DID suddenly dissappear for no reason at all other than what the religious lady said.
They were sitting in their car with no gas, ALL of them heard monsters not just the guy (the screams/roars or whatever)... and then they just committed suicide.

Mist magically vanishes immediately after 4 gunshots.
That's the only thing that I didn't like or get about this movie.

The rest of the stuff you answered was just hypothetical, which is alright I guess.
Idk, the ending wasn't that great for me at all in hindsight lol.
Can't really think of a better way to end it, though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Keep in mind that the original novel does not end the same way as the movie. A few things were changed. They had to dumb down the ending just to give a sense of resolution.

Books>Movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom