• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
A perfect example of what a book cannot do but a movie can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20w-nuLcneU

start at 1:10 then stop at 3:08 seriously listen to the swords/music, see facial expressions and feel the "ok im gonna lose but lets DO THIS" feeling you get......books cannot give you the sense of that scene like a movie can.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Still not bad acting. Books have your own acting, so it can't be bad.

Unless.. You have a bad imagination, then you can just go watch someone elses imagination of it.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
If Disney made books instead of films this would be no contest on Zigsta so yeah good try there and also if Espy normally agrees with you but not normally thinks like you made any sense then I must be Miles Davis.

Oh and if Tesh and Smoom don't count because you said so then I say Earth isn't a planet so it's so.
Oh baby. I have been WAITING for someone to allow me an opportunity to unleash my film expertise on Smashboards.

In 8th grade, I wanted to be a novelist. I had an entire first book outlined, with parts of the second and third books all layed out. I wrote 60 pages and realized how much I hate prose. I'm not a fan of long, flowery descriptions. So right then and there I opted for film, and I've never looked back.

Turns out I picked the perfect career to boot, as screenplays are straight and to the point. I love writing dialogue and developing character, and that's what great screenplays achieve on a daily basis in Hollywood. Well, maybe not a DAILY basis since most of the scripts in Hollywood are utter garbage. I've read more than my share of crap scripts at Hollywood Gang--stuff that I would be embarrassed showing to my own mom, let alone potential studios.

But all that's another story for another time. Why in my opinion are films better than books?

I read an article a year ago that said in times of depression, all fun, extraneous activities don't make much profit...except for movies. Even in times of economic hardship, people flock to the movie theatres. It's been that way since the first camera was invented years ago, and that'll never change. There's something special about watching a film projected on the silver screen in a dark room filled with people. Humans are by nature social creatures, and watching movies at movie theatres thrives on our most basic instinct of interaction.

The world of film is much more lucrative on the whole than books. Few books today reach the literary equivalent of "blockbuster" status. Off the top of my head, the Harry Potter franchise and the Twilight saga are the only novels out there right now that are household names. Then take a look at film. Avatar completely demolished all box office records by racking in nearly THREE BILLION DOLLARS worldwide. What's more, Avatar is a completely original screenplay. Dancing with Wolves/Pocahontas comparisons aside, Avatar wasn't adapted from a book, comic book, or graphic novel like most films nowadays.

Film also has the exceptional ability to draw other viewers to it outside of its target audience. Look at Toy Story 3. Animated movie, a label most call "kid's film." Yet it's grossed over ONE BILLION worldwide. Books written for children, on the other hand, are usually only read by children. Many adults take one look at a children's book, complete with its large font, and pass on reading it.

Additionally, reading a book takes a longer time to read than watching a film does to watch. People get busy as they get older and take on more responsibilities. I know plenty of adults and college students alike who just don't have the time to read for pleasure. But all of those people have time to go the movies for 2.5 hours tops.

Now would Hollywood be were it is today without books? Absolutely not. Books are part of human history. We love to tell and to share stories. We've done it since we were Cro-Magnon men via cave paintings.

Which brings me to Tesh:

Tesh said:
Film's might be able to tell a story faster, but they don't often tell it better. Sure I can see the point as far as action movies. A terminator, die hard or rush hour book would be somewhat boring (because they don't have much of story). But if you look at any book based movie, it winds up being necessary to gut out all the best parts.

If you are into actually stories with more than just fire, bullets and explosions/sex scenes, I'd say books> movies. I know some people don't enjoy reading, but I personally enjoy movies, books and videos games for entertainment. I also acknowledge that each one is better at expressing certain things.

Books are where its at. Even Disney basically just takes short stories and turns them into movies.
Action films are a different beast altogether. Does The Lion King have explosions, guns, or sex scenes? What about The Pianist? The King's Speech?

Book based movies shouldn't be part of this discussion. They are made solely to bring in more revenue. That's it.

Now as for Disney taking short stories and turning them into films, you're partially right. Walt Disney said stories existed for a reason. His theory was by taking a story that's already well-known and then tweaking it slightly to appeal to a wider audience, it would be a success. With that, Disney released The Three Little Pigs, which won an Oscar for Best Animated Short in 1933 and then Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1939, the world's first full-length animated film. Both films took a fairytale/nursery story and tamed aspects of it so the whole family could watch it. Disney has continued to do this because A) it makes money and B) out of respect for Walt.

Back to P4's comment:

Player-4 said:
If Disney made books instead of films this would be no contest on Zigsta so yeah good try there
Disney does make books. I just don't read them because the majority of my reading time is spent reading manga, Animation Magazine, Filmmaker Magazine, and Script Magazine along with various other how-to books and film history books so that I can keep up the best and the brightest in Hollywood.

That said, I do read for pleasure every now and then, but only when I've got a strong feeling it will make a great film. So far I'm 2-0. I was given a stack of graphic novels to read at Hollywood Gang over the summer and told to pick one for the studio to pursue, and I picked this graphic novel about fairytale characters in a steampunk world who seek out the murderer of Pinocchio. Unfortunately the President of HGP was out that day overseeing our film Immortals, which was wrapping up production in Canada at the time, so he wasn't able to look at the graphic novel until Thursday at the latest. When I came into work Thursday, front page of the Hollywood Reporter said another studio had optioned the very same graphic novel. So I was literally one day away from picking a film for a studio.

When I was moving into my apartment last semester, my folks and I made a run out to Best Buy. There for some reason I saw this book called Pirate Latitudes. I saw the cover, read the back, and bought it on the spot. As I read it, I thought, "This would make an amazing movie. It's like a more realistic Pirates of the Caribbean." Sure enough, the script is being written as we speak, with Steven Spielberg himself attached to direct.

So I've got a very keen eye for books.

Now if Disney made ONLY books and NOT films, would I still be a huge fan? Probably not.

It's difficult for me to describe in mere words, but I get a unique sensation upon watching films, particularly animated films. I get really excited, like a little kid waiting for 8 AM to roll around so he can finally open up his presents on Christmas Day. I often even tear up from pure joy and excitement, which is physically very difficult for me to do since Acutane severely dried out my eyes. Watching scenes like this one from Shrek 2 and of course this one from The Princess and the Frog make me instantly know that's what I want to do with my life. Even just seeing particular characters animated, both in 2D and 3D, make me feel like nothing else in this world does. Po from Kung Fu Panda and Louis from The Princess and the Frog are two of my all-time favorite characters.

The way Louis's movements defy the movements of traditional, real life alligators mesmerizes me, from the way his girth bounces up and down to his big tooth grin to his trumpet playing to his balancing on his tail atop the bayous of New Orleans.

So tl;dr, thank you for allowing me to discuss my greatest passion.

MOVIES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BOOKS

These two men are actually caricatures of Clements and Musker, the directors of The Princess and the Frog. This is something you can only sneak in visually--if this was a book instead, you'd be hard pressed to have the author make a cameo

Gnes

Smash Master
Xyro, I'm not starting the debate over again, I'm just stating the reason why we argued.
And once again, you make a statement about something u know nothing about lol.("LOL you guys write papers")

It hurts.

Nvm sync, tommorow, imma go home and sleep/homework so I'll be free tommorow.

Xyro77

Oh baby. I have been WAITING for someone to allow me an opportunity to unleash my film expertise on Smashboards.

In 8th grade, I wanted to be a novelist. I had an entire first book outlined, with parts of the second and third books all layed out. I wrote 60 pages and realized how much I hate prose. I'm not a fan of long, flowery descriptions. So right then and there I opted for film, and I've never looked back.

Turns out I picked the perfect career to boot, as screenplays are straight and to the point. I love writing dialogue and developing character, and that's what great screenplays achieve on a daily basis in Hollywood. Well, maybe not a DAILY basis since most of the scripts in Hollywood are utter garbage. I've read more than my share of crap scripts at Hollywood Gang--stuff that I would be embarrassed showing to my own mom, let alone potential studios.

But all that's another story for another time. Why in my opinion are films better than books?

I read an article a year ago that said in times of depression, all fun, extraneous activities don't make much profit...except for movies. Even in times of economic hardship, people flock to the movie theatres. It's been that way since the first camera was invented years ago, and that'll never change. There's something special about watching a film projected on the silver screen in a dark room filled with people. Humans are by nature social creatures, and watching movies at movie theatres thrives on our most basic instinct of interaction.

The world of film is much more lucrative on the whole than books. Few books today reach the literary equivalent of "blockbuster" status. Off the top of my head, the Harry Potter franchise and the Twilight saga are the only novels out there right now that are household names. Then take a look at film. Avatar completely demolished all box office records by racking in nearly THREE BILLION DOLLARS worldwide. What's more, Avatar is a completely original screenplay. Dancing with Wolves/Pocahontas comparisons aside, Avatar wasn't adapted from a book, comic book, or graphic novel like most films nowadays.

Film also has the exceptional ability to draw other viewers to it outside of its target audience. Look at Toy Story 3. Animated movie, a label most call "kid's film." Yet it's grossed over ONE BILLION worldwide. Books written for children, on the other hand, are usually only read by children. Many adults take one look at a children's book, complete with its large font, and pass on reading it.

Additionally, reading a book takes a longer time to read than watching a film does to watch. People get busy as they get older and take on more responsibilities. I know plenty of adults and college students alike who just don't have the time to read for pleasure. But all of those people have time to go the movies for 2.5 hours tops.

Now would Hollywood be were it is today without books? Absolutely not. Books are part of human history. We love to tell and to share stories. We've done it since we were Cro-Magnon men via cave paintings.

Which brings me to Tesh:

Action films are a different beast altogether. Does The Lion King have explosions, guns, or sex scenes? What about The Pianist? The King's Speech?

Book based movies shouldn't be part of this discussion. They are made solely to bring in more revenue. That's it.

Now as for Disney taking short stories and turning them into films, you're partially right. Walt Disney said stories existed for a reason. His theory was by taking a story that's already well-known and then tweaking it slightly to appeal to a wider audience, it would be a success. With that, Disney released The Three Little Pigs, which won an Oscar for Best Animated Short in 1933 and then Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1939, the world's first full-length animated film. Both films took a fairytale/nursery story and tamed aspects of it so the whole family could watch it. Disney has continued to do this because A) it makes money and B) out of respect for Walt.

Back to P4's comment:

Disney does make books. I just don't read them because the majority of my reading time is spent reading manga, Animation Magazine, Filmmaker Magazine, and Script Magazine along with various other how-to books and film history books so that I can keep up the best and the brightest in Hollywood.

That said, I do read for pleasure every now and then, but only when I've got a strong feeling it will make a great film. So far I'm 2-0. I was given a stack of graphic novels to read at Hollywood Gang over the summer and told to pick one for the studio to pursue, and I picked this graphic novel about fairytale characters in a steampunk world who seek out the murderer of Pinocchio. Unfortunately the President of HGP was out that day overseeing our film Immortals, which was wrapping up production in Canada at the time, so he wasn't able to look at the graphic novel until Thursday at the latest. When I came into work Thursday, front page of the Hollywood Reporter said another studio had optioned the very same graphic novel. So I was literally one day away from picking a film for a studio.

When I was moving into my apartment last semester, my folks and I made a run out to Best Buy. There for some reason I saw this book called Pirate Latitudes. I saw the cover, read the back, and bought it on the spot. As I read it, I thought, "This would make an amazing movie. It's like a more realistic Pirates of the Caribbean." Sure enough, the script is being written as we speak, with Steven Spielberg himself attached to direct.

Now if Disney made ONLY books and NOT films, would I still be a huge fan? Probably not.

It's difficult for me to describe in mere words, but I get a unique sensation upon watching films, particularly animated films. I get really excited, like a little kid waiting for 8 AM to roll around so he can finally open up his presents on Christmas Day. I often even tear up from pure joy and excitement, which is physically very difficult for me to do since Acutane severely dried out my eyes. Watching scenes like this one from Shrek 2 and of course this one from The Princess and the Frog make me instantly know that's what I want to do with my life. Even just seeing particular characters animated, both in 2D and 3D, make me feel like nothing else in this world does. Po from Kung Fu Panda and Louis from The Princess and the Frog are two of my all-time favorite characters.

The way Louis's movements defy the movements of traditional, real life alligators mesmerizes me, from the way his girth bounces up and down to his big tooth grin to his trumpet playing to his balancing on his tail atop the bayous of New Orleans.

Zigsta vs gea/gnes

Results are below LOL

Player-4

See you in 25 years

Which brings me to Tesh:

Back to P4's comment:

These two men are actually caricatures of Clements and Musker, the directors of The Princess and the Frog. This is something you can only sneak in visually--if this was a book instead, you'd be hard pressed to have the author make a cameo

Btw, I didn't read any of your post because movies are better than books. If you had made this post into a movie I most certainly would have watched it.

So yea movies >>>>>>>>>> books

Case closed

Xyro77

Now you kids understand why my opinions are the least accepted/liked....its cause me and my kinda(zigsta/espy) are what you would call geniuses(we are a rare breed) and people are weirded out by our kind.. One day you little kids may get there......highly unlikely though.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Zigsta, the author of a book often makes a [large] cameo in the personality of a character, and a smaller one in most of the rest of them :p

We're also not talking about money-making. Quality (books) > quantity (in this case, quantity of populatiry, ie: money making, ie: nothing particularly important, save for those making the film, even then...)

Xyro77

Zigsta, the author of a book often makes a [large] cameo in the personality of a character, and a smaller one in most of the rest of them :p

We're also not talking about money-making. Quality (books) > quantity (in this case, quantity of populatiry, ie: money making, ie: nothing particularly important, save for those making the film, even then...)
PATHETIC attempt at defeating Zigsta. GO BACK TO TRAINING MODE!

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Now you kids understand why my opinions are the least accepted/liked....its cause me and my kinda(zigsta/espy) are what you would call geniuses(we are a rare breed). One day you little kids may get there......highly unlikely though.
But I thought we were ********.. Most geniuses I know don't go around making massive post to ******* =\

unless.. Your that special kind of genious?

Zigsta is a genious though

Xyro77

But I thought we were ********.. Most geniuses I know don't go around making massive post to ******* =\

unless.. Your that special kind of genious?

Zigsta is a genious though
Us geniuses tend to feel sorry for the deformed ******* of Houston so we enjoy sharing our opinions on certain matters in hopes that you will be cured of your disease. But some times we fear that our opinion are too "elite" for yalls feeble minds to handle. We think this because of the reactions we receive. So every once in a while we must drop in and set off a nuke(zigsta did the honors) to eliminate yalls foul smell and restart another time.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Is there a problem with Illmatic and I enjoying brawl more than 2D fighters?
This man doesn't get it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking Brawl more than any other game. However, making blanket statements about a game (or in you case, an entire genre of games) is ignorant. As a Smash player, you of all people should know this.
This man does.

Alex!!!!
I would come to WHOBO just for you.
You should ;)

@Sethlon- That team you plan on using sounds really good...like really really good.
I've been doing pretty much nothing the past two weeks except thinking about MvC3, so I've put a lot of time into what team I'm going to use :)

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Us geniuses tend to feel sorry for the deformed ******* of Houston so we enjoy sharing our opinions on matter in hopes that you will be cured of your disease. But some times we fear that our opinion are to "elite" for your feeble minds to handle because of the reactions we receive. So every once in a while we must drop in and set off a nuke(zigsta did the honors) to eliminate yalls foul smell and restart another time.
well, geniuses know that there is no cure for ***********. I would hope they did. Does your geniousness lack the actual logic part of being a genious?

Zigsta is smart though.

Xyro77

well, geniuses know that there is no cure for ***********. I would hope they did. Does your geniousness lack the actual logic part of being a genious?

Zigsta is smart though.
There is a cure for yalls ***********(its not the *********** you are thinking of). So far its worked in some of the people here but not the more severe cases aka jerm/gnes/gea/rt. We will fix you soon enough but not now.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Name these people you've fixed. I dare you.

Also, I use illegal drugs to fix my problems. You have some?? I doubt it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Whatever Allan.

Btw, ridiculing people instead of actually presenting intelligent arguments is usually something the weak/losing side does because they KNOW they have lost so they try to bring the winning side down to their level. Weak debating tactic.

Sorry we're better at making good arguments instead of calling people poopfaces or *******. I just wish every governing body in the world had your sentiments. The UN would be nothing more than people shoving their fingers in their ears going "LA LA LA LA LA, you're wrong, we're RIGHT because we think we're right even though we didn't consider the other side because we don't have to because we're right, LA LA LA LA LA."

Xyro77

Also, I use illegal drugs to fix my problems. You have some?? I doubt it.
sorry man. im out of those. My dad is about to get his refills so i could steal some. catch me next week and we can work out something.

Whatever Allan.

Btw, ridiculing people instead of actually presenting intelligent arguments is usually something the weak/losing side does because they KNOW they have lost so they try to bring the winning side down to their level. Classic debating skills.

Sorry we're better at making good arguments instead of calling people poopfaces or *******. I just wish every governing body in the world had your sentiments.
Ive made my case in MULTIPLE FORMS(dumb/smart and troll) and it all ends the same. You people cannot accept opinions. So i had to use all my MP to summon ZIGSTA in which he literally destroyed you and your kind.

Gnes

Smash Master
Now you kids understand why my opinions are the least accepted/liked....its cause me and my kinda(zigsta/espy) are what you would call geniuses(we are a rare breed) and people are weirded out by our kind.. One day you little kids may get there......highly unlikely though.

Us geniuses tend to feel sorry for the deformed ******* of Houston so we enjoy sharing our opinions on certain matters in hopes that you will be cured of your disease. But some times we fear that our opinion are too "elite" for yalls feeble minds to handle. We think this because of the reactions we receive. So every once in a while we must drop in and set off a nuke(zigsta did the honors) to eliminate yalls foul smell and restart another time.

You do realize that the argument never was which was better out of movies/books right? Like did you understand any aspects of our posts...

Like I know Gea talks in a way that's hard for the average person to understand, but come on I'm speaking like simple words here.

*facepalms*

Xyro77

You do realize that the argument never was which was better out of movies/books right? Like did you understand any aspects of our posts...

Like I know Gea talks in a way that's hard for the average person to understand, but come on I'm speaking like simple words here.

*facepalms*
i understood it all cept gea's.

And what you people fail to accept is this:

"You may read about how Aaron Ralston had to cut off his arm, but seeing him actually cut off his arm in front of you is a completely different experience."

or if that didnt make sense go back a page and read my gremlin post then my post below that which included a youtube link.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
No, we can't accept UNINFORMED opinions. Thinking critically is something intelligent people do. There's no problem with Zigsta, his opinions are informed.

Your opinions however, mostly consist of a simple opinion only backed up with ridicule and negative words and offer no substance.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Wait allan XYRO 77 green lesbian.. you never told me these people you fixed. Im curious to hear the names of the people you have cured from this form of "***********" as you said you fixed some people on here. So tell me.

plz =]

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
rockettrainer joins the fray
Oh, I was happy being neutral after my last post, but good ole' Allan had to provoke drag me in...

i understood it all cept gea's.

And what you people fail to accept is this:

"You may read about how Aaron Ralston had to cut off his arm, but seeing him actually cut off his arm in front of you is a completely different experience."

or if that didnt make sense go back a page and read my gremlin post then my post below that which included a youtube link.
Okay, then you fail to understand that some people LIKE to use their imagination. Imagery ring a bell? Not everyone thinks like you. Everyone's brain functions differently. You don't have to force your opinion and then claim it as fact.

Xyro77

No, we can't accept UNINFORMED opinions. Thinking critically is something intelligent people do. There's no problem with Zigsta, his opinions are informed.

Your opinions however, mostly consist of a simple opinion only backed up with ridicule and negative words and offer no substance.
I am informed through EXPERIENCE in both reading(whether ive completed trillions of book or read halfway through trillions of books) and movies(ive seen more than most people i know). im sorry you cant understand that. So go ahead and go read your harry potter books. Ill WATCH it.

lol pj, its RT. He just joins the "lets bash allan for his opinions" wagon

TheJerm

Smash Champion
P4 is ******** in everyway. And is that the only person? That doesnt sound like some people to me.

And I dont think p4 ever said that books where better than movies.. but im not too sure on that argument. Didnt really read it.. Ok I think he did say books were better than movies. But p4 isnt good enough.. he's like F tier. Remember, gness is S tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom