• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dojo

Smash Champion
No reason not to. Imo, from watching you play/playing with you, you seem to have a ton of potential. Your character holds you back so ****ing hard, it's unreal.

But you're extremely smart about your character and the game mechanics in general, have a strong focus, and a collected mind allowing you to be clutch even when you're down. I remember from playing LT teams with you at that Phase you never seemed to break your focus. Only thing I noticed was you seemed to get kind of worn out which everybody does.

I think people respect the best low tier mains in you guys holding onto your character even through all the bull****. But in my opinion that doesn't get you anything out of it. You start realizing your potential more when playing at a higher level competing heavier with Keith and Tim and the rest.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
No reason not to. Imo, from watching you play/playing with you, you seem to have a ton of potential. Your character holds you back so ****ing hard, it's unreal.

But you're extremely smart about your character and the game mechanics in general, have a strong focus, and a collected mind allowing you to be clutch even when you're down. I remember from playing LT teams with you at that Phase you never seemed to break your focus. Only thing I noticed was you seemed to get kind of worn out which everybody does.

I think people respect the best low tier mains in you guys holding onto your character even through all the bull****. But in my opinion that doesn't get you anything out of it. You start realizing your potential more when playing at a higher level competing heavier with Keith and Tim and the rest.
i try rob and hes fun but i still feel like he has the same problems as samus but just a little less. i dont wanna play him anymore.

so i was thinking olimar. approve or no?

Dojo

Smash Champion
Yeah definitely. I think Oli's really fun when you get him down. He has a fairly strong offense and gay *** defense. Doesn't have a terrible matchup with MK. Goes fairly even with most of the characters we see. His major problems are like IC's and Marth I think.

The extra experience for Texas is always helpful and I seriously think if you stick with it, you can be an extra threat for our state.

Xyro77

Just main someone really good. I mean if you wanna play oli cause he's fun, then play him...
Nah i dont like falco/diddy/snake/mk/wario

none of them are fun and dont really fit how i play.

im gonna give olimar a shot. i hope its not another long *** waste of time like rob was.

Curlz

Smash Lord
I hate to be that guy, but........Come one come all to the...

LOUISIANA DOUBLE FEATURE!!!

This December 17th and 18th!!!

December 17th will have a tournament at Play n Trade Bluebonnet in Baton Rouge, LA. This is more of a local tournament but if you had plans on arriving in the bayou on Friday come to it anyway, roughly an hour and fifteen minutes Lafayette.

Then on Saturday come be a part of the event where titans clash, The Awesome Smash of Louisiana, also known as TASOL!!! Boasting a large venue with a Pot Bonus and...

ALL DAY PIZZA BUFFET INCLUDED IN THE VENUE FEE!!!

We just have two words for you...

GET

HYPE

For everyone who can't take hints on links:
Warm-up Tourney:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292243
Big Tourneyhttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=274534
Venue Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p1_1AGZDkg
LA Pride Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DysYusN_AOI

Credits:
Jiovanni the Womanslayer - Hype Machine
Curlz - TASOL TO and Venue trailer creator
Fakegeorge - PnT Bluebonnet TO
Hyro - LA Pride trailer creator

:p

Xyro77

I'll teach you the ICs match up. I'm horrible at it so you can help me too
i need no help with ICs, buddy. Rob is there and if i really want to be gay(unlikely) ill ledge stall with samus.

I seriously lack motivation for smash and i sometimes consider just not playing it (i think this nearly everyday). So i hope doing those 5 MM with illmatic or starting pointless arguments or going to thanksgimpinig or picking up olimar will help make me want to play again. Lets hope so.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
i rented DKCR

i miss King K Rool :(

and the amazing music
Yeah no King K. Rool or Kremlings = :urg:

I heard u can only play as Donkey Kong (my least favorite kong to play =/ ) in one player.

Heard most of the music is remixes of... Donkey Kong Country (lol? The weakest link music wise)

but why im not purchasing is I heard you have to wiggle the wiimote to roll or something. I've given up on Nintendo. They're all about giving causal players rim jobs now. :glare: Glad I got a 360. Also no @ 3DS, all the good games I already own the originals like the mgs game, zelda oot, kh, starfox, ssf4 ect... but im glad nintendo finally realized they cant make good games worth **** so at least they are remaking old games that are legit. Here's to hoping they wont somehow **** those up too. They did a good job remaking heart gold/soul silver maybe they'll do it again.

also hope houston had nice thanksgiving, hopefully it will stay cool for christmas

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I say just pick your favorite character and try your best. As long as the character doesnt have any impossible match ups, you should be fine. I dont think samus has any impossible match ups, just some pretty hard ones.

Besides, lower tier characters have the advantage of other players not knowing what to do against you, while you know alot about their character.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
I say just pick your favorite character and try your best. As long as the character doesnt have any impossible match ups, you should be fine. I dont think samus has any impossible match ups, just some pretty hard ones.

Besides, lower tier characters have the advantage of other players not knowing what to do against you, while you know alot about their character.
Camp them,camp them to death lol.

@leaf we have zori syns roommate and jon zori go to **** ya *****

I miss ozzes texture/music hacked matches made hobo 24 matches amazing

Sync.

Smash Champion

Why do I always agree with you Jerm?

Anyway, I think picking up a new character is good too as long as you enjoy them. Like picking up MK really helped my reading and I just needed something new and something fresh. It really helps for plateauing (this happens to everyone). Allan I hope you enjoy what you pick. You have nothing to lose Allan give it a shot.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
Why do I always agree with you Jerm?

Anyway, I think picking up a new character is good too as long as you enjoy them. Like picking up MK really helped my reading and I just needed something new and something fresh. It really helps for plateauing (this happens to everyone). Allan I hope you enjoy what you pick. You have nothing to lose Allan give it a shot.
What if you picked up every char already?

and hows my metaknight?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Jerm... Samus has some impossible matchups...lol

and yeah Night Owl, the waggle is dumb but it's not impossible to play with. It would just be much easier if it was set to a button because the move contributes so much to the game. I was really dissapointed when I went to controls and realized there was no roll button. Then I stick in my classic controller and it doesn't even function. I thought Nintendo would at least cater to the people who grew up playing these games, but eh I guess not.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Nah i dont like falco/diddy/snake/mk/wario

none of them are fun and dont really fit how i play.

im gonna give olimar a shot. i hope its not another long *** waste of time like rob was.
I honestly think you should pick up MK, but I know you like to camp so maybe not. But I mean if you go with MK you wouldn't have to worry about a lot of things. Anyways, if you pick up Olimar, do everyone and yourself a favor and stick with him past his recovery issues (which means you'll really need to work on DI, (which is your biggest weakness imo)). You think Marth is bad, oh ho ho just wait. But I think if you get past his recovery you'll have a solid Olimar in no time.

I also don't think your Rob was a big fat waste of time, I think your Rob is solid and great for ICs and Marth and both characters take a doo doo on Oli. Also there's Peach, but I know you can handle her with Sam. Other than that Olimar either wins or goes even with every other character, and he's another character that goes really close to even with MK.

Jerm... Samus has some impossible matchups...lol

and yeah Night Owl, the waggle is dumb but it's not impossible to play with. It would just be much easier if it was set to a button because the move contributes so much to the game. I was really dissapointed when I went to controls and realized there was no roll button. Then I stick in my classic controller and it doesn't even function. I thought Nintendo would at least cater to the people who grew up playing these games, but eh I guess not.
I think they did throw some stuff in there for the people who grew up with the game (which I did). I love how the game play is, I love the controls, the bad guys, the bonuses, all of it. I really think it's a solid game and fits the other Kong games nicely for it's time era.

I'd give it like a 9.5/10. It's not a perfect game but close to it.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I honestly think you should pick up MK, but I know you like to camp so maybe not. But I mean if you go with MK you wouldn't have to worry about a lot of things. Anyways, if you pick up Olimar, do everyone and yourself a favor and stick with him past his recovery issues (which means you'll really need to work on DI, (which is your biggest weakness imo)). You think Marth is bad, oh ho ho just wait. But I think if you get past his recovery you'll have a solid Olimar in no time.
I agree with you P4 whole-heartedly. Pick up MK.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Xyro will stop using olimar as soon as he see's he can't play on the edge with him

matter of fact he'll never touch the ledge :troll:

Xyro77

Yeah no King K. Rool or Kremlings = :urg:

I heard u can only play as Donkey Kong (my least favorite kong to play =/ ) in one player.

Heard most of the music is remixes of... Donkey Kong Country (lol? The weakest link music wise)

but why im not purchasing is I heard you have to wiggle the wiimote to roll or something. I've given up on Nintendo. They're all about giving causal players rim jobs now. :glare: Glad I got a 360. Also no @ 3DS, all the good games I already own the originals like the mgs game, zelda oot, kh, starfox, ssf4 ect... but im glad nintendo finally realized they cant make good games worth **** so at least they are remaking old games that are legit. Here's to hoping they wont somehow **** those up too. They did a good job remaking heart gold/soul silver maybe they'll do it again.
I thought Nintendo would at least cater to the people who grew up playing these games, but eh I guess not.

110% incorrect or opinion^

Nintendos's whole game plan for wii(since day 1):

1. To get the masses playing wii. Ages 7 to 70.
2. Make gaming feel more natural/easy, thus more accepted.
3. Selling a cheap item(without loss of quality) to make money.
4. Keep appealing to the "hardcore"

Never before has there been a console that has been bought by college and use for legit college courses. Never before has there been a console bought by nursing homes/hospitals and use for rehabilitation. Never before has the American Heart Association given a seal of approval to a console. Never before have i see many of my friends PARENTS buy wii fit/wiisports just so they can use it on there own time to exercise. My own mother actually PLAYS wii fit hardcore. Video games are being more accepted by ADULTS(due to the wii) thus allowing more children to play them. The days of "games are for kids" or "thats nerd stuff" is coming to a close.

Picture yourself as an adult or a small child having next to no gaming exp. Having 10 buttons, 2 sticks, and a pad is rather intimidating. Then on top of that you gotta figure out how to use all of those buttons in combination to achieve a goal(in game). With the wii you dont need to worry about all of that. So many games use 3-4 buttons and the rest is motion control. Motion control feels natural, its what we do in daily life. It feels more realistic and makes you feel like you are "part of the game." It also makes the typical FPS or racer....ect feel NEW and FRESH again. This has helped people from all ages/backgrounds and experiences to be able to pick up the wii an instantly be able to play/compete and even win with little or no exp. This also links back to 1.

People complain about wii wifi/lack of dvd playing/friendcode system/graphics. These people are in general uneducated gamers. They do not see Nintendo's goals or the reason behind Nintendo's choices.

Wifi
To be honest, other than brawl. Games on the wii that use wifi do not really have issues that make the game unplayable. Mariokart wii, medal of honor, the conduit....ect are examples of near pefect wifi. Oh and by the way.....its FREE.

Lack of DVD playing
In this day an age, 90% of people have a dvd player ALREADY. If not, they have an computer or ipod that plays dvd. Nintendo knows this and decided not to add the feature cause at the end of the day all it does is increase the price of the wii.

Friendcode system
Ever played 360+halo and had to sit there and listen to a 12 year old getting killed every 5 seconds? Ever played a game of diablo 2 and had hackers beat you cause they had infinite life? Ever read the stories of how pedos get systems like 360 and PC so that they can trick and hook up with little kids? Though the friendcode system is a hassle(i agree), it is the safest way to game online of the 3 consoles. If the player is smart, having and using friendcodes stops/reduces the issues ive listed above)if u dont like a player, dont registr their friend code). KNOWING THIS, parents are more willing to buy a system for their underage kid thats has SOME safety that comes along with it. This ties in with 1.

Graphics
Without insulting people for how ******** they are im just gonna say this fact. Graphics do not make the game. Look at ddr/rock band(music games) or pokemon for the handhelds or mariokart. You dont care if its HD super shiny epic graphics you just wanna play the **** game, right? The wii has better graphics than the cube/ps2/360 so tbh the wii IS a next gen system when it comes to graphics, its just not as good as ps3/xbox. Because its a smaller upgrade in graphics than the 360/ps3 it is CHEAPER than them as well. Thus allowing more people to buy it. This ties in with 1.

People complain about how the wii "has no good games" or "they just car about casual players now." These people are either uneducated, on drugs or both. Nintendo has NOT left the hardcore players. If you actually do RESEACH instead of just joining the moronic bandagon you will find that nintendo has NOT left

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
New Super Mario Bros
Golden Eye
Mario Kart Wii
Conduit
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Metroid Prime Trilogy Pack
Monster Hunter 3
Donkey Kong Country: Returns
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Tales of Symphonia 2
Animal Crossing
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Mad World
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
No More Heroes 1 and 2
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Other M
Epic Mickey

There are at least 20 more but you get the point. This isnt including games that are on multiple systems like black ops and sonic colors.....ect. Then of course you have the COUNTLESS virtual console games that literally defined what "hardcore" is.

BTW, Nintendo has also broke/set/re-broke records set by itself and other consoles through-out time. Nintendo is doing things right(number on sold console this gen) and changed the way we game(look at how sony and M$oft are copying nintendo). The issues you have with nintendo and its games are just PERSONAL issue and nothing more.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nintendo printing that money.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yea, the wii is doing well when it comes to the masses and sells and that stuff. But the overall fun games for hardcore gamers just isnt on the wii. And it started with the gamecube. While the gamecube still had a solid amount of good titles coming out, the wii, imo, rarely comes out with good games. Im pretty disappointed in the wii, but I believe the zelda series is worth buying the console for, and smash. And there might be one or two other games a YEAR that would catch my interest. Even that list of games you posted xyro, only 5 of them interest me, and those games aren't even only from 2010. And plz take tales of symphonia 2 off that list.. its not that great or great at all. The first was soooooooooooooo much better.

As for the 3DS... you are wrong about that one nightowl. Handhelds is where nintendo shines now. There's plenty of great original games planned for the 3ds.. but just like the DS when it came out, they use the remakes to show its power and get gamers interested. Oh, and KH 3ds is a original game (like CoM, BBS, Days).. soooo nope.. you dont have it.

Xyro77

Yea, the wii is doing well when it comes to the masses and sells and that stuff. But the overall fun games for hardcore gamers just isnt on the wii. And it started with the gamecube. While the gamecube still had a solid amount of good titles coming out, the wii, imo, rarely comes out with good games. Im pretty disappointed in the wii, but I believe the zelda series is worth buying the console for, and smash. And there might be one or two other games a YEAR that would catch my interest. Even that list of games you posted xyro, only 5 of them interest me, and those games aren't even only from 2010. And plz take tales of symphonia 2 off that list.. its not that great or great at all. The first was soooooooooooooo much better.
Have you played all those games on the wii i listed? Give them a shot and them come back and say you are disappointed. ToS2 is not as good as the first but it is still considered a hardcore game just as much as halo 3(by far the WORST of the 4) is. Just cause you only like 5 of the ones i listed doesnt mean the wii has no good games. Personal preference doesnt not equal fact. TBH i HATE mario galaxy 1 and 2 but i accpet that they are great games and hardcore titles.

Xyro77

I think that saying the Wii has better graphics than the 360 is pushing it a little far (see Final Fantasy 13). However, just about everything else you said is true.
wow i cant believe i said 360. i meant regular xbox. i edited my post

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 - Good games.. played the first. Solid, but not original enough for it to be a hit for me.
New Super Mario Bros - Disappointment for me. It was pretty much the same as the DS title, but not portable..
Golden Eye- Dont know too much about it, but im sure its not bad.
Mario Kart Wii- Faiiiiil game.. ugh dont even want to look at the title lol jk I just didnt like it after coming from the great mario kart DS
Conduit- I actually randomly played this for a while at carnages house.. didnt like it, but im not too into FPS =/
Super Smash Bros Brawl- Tooon link <3333333
Metroid Prime Trilogy Pack- Good, but its just 3 older games in one
Monster Hunter 3 - eww
Donkey Kong Country: Returns - Havnt played this, but it seems like one of those games where I'd get bored after a few days of play. But I'll actually check this out at p4s
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn- Good shiz
Tales of Symphonia 2- nope
Animal Crossing - People like this game, im just personally not a fan of the series
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 - FPS =/
Mad World - The trailers for this looked solid when first saw them, but I havnt heard much about it
Tatsunoko vs Capcom - Fun game, I played the japanese version for a bit when it came out.
No More Heroes 1 and 2 - Good games as well
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - <333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
Metroid Other M - This looks good, but I havnt sat down to play it
Epic Mickey- I know like 1 thing about this game and thats that it has mickey..

To be honest, im probably not the best person to be debating about games, because most games overall dont catch my interest anymore. I like the original games.. rpgs, and fighters. But for some reason, the DS constantly comes out with amazing games to me. The wii games seem childish and not deep enough. While their are a few.. its not frequent enough. Regardless, Im going to get the next nintendo system, and probably the one after that. I have faith nintendo can pull through their console slump and be considered the top by everyone again

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Part of the problem is that the only genre considered to be "real games" this generation is FPS...I like FPS games, but dear lord, there needs to be some diversity. Look at XBox 360's top 10 games...almost all of them are FPS games, and Microsoft stands by its whole "game system for hardcore players" claim. And then you have the Kinect, which an attempt to reach the casual crowd and ONLY the casual crowd, because the FPS players mostly don't give a **** and want their next Halo or CoD.

And then there's the whole problem with people wanting games to be easier to play. One of the main complains about DKCR is that it's too difficult...REALLY? It's not a hard game....but then again, this generation of gamers have had so many things dumbed down for them...most fighting games have mechanics that allow it to be easier to play and win (buffering, revenge/powered up moves when you have low health, promoting camping, random luck-based events, etc), many FPSs games have multiple checkpoints or objective markers telling you where to go or what to do instead of letting you figure it out, some RPGs you can just spam regular attacks and win without even coming close to dying...and the most annoying thing is when games delegate all actions in the game to a single button...press this button to shoot, auto-target, jump, run, crouch, poop, etc. I mean, what's the point of playing if the game has to hold your hand while you play it?

Video gaming is slowly declining. It's sad, and I really do hate the direction the industry is going.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
You didnt read son. (Zori)

Wii is does amazing in sales and all that. Cause everyone from grannies to great grannies are buying them. But when you talk to strictly gamers as a whole, the wii is considered the worse out of the three, compared to the nintendo- n64 days. Hence me saying, "considered the top by everyone again"

I know plentyyyyyy of people who have wii's and dont even think about playing them anymore. They rather play tales of vesperia on 360 than tales with a ****ty main character 2.. or ssf4 , or call of duty. Nobody gets call of duty on the wii lol

Ohhh RT mentioned something good as well, games are wayyyy too easy now. Specially wii games =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom