• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Xyro, how much space you have left for SA? Don't have a place to stay the night at so I'd rather come back in the same day.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Translation: Flip, you have roughly 8 more months to find a new character. Get working on it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Should mention a Duck Hunt/Little mac player found out it was fruitless to play them and moved on to the Empire.
As I predicted. It has begun. All hail the Holy Diddy Empire.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lol Tesh you're unraveling.

Who's got info on this SA custom tourney on Sunday after SAM?

And while MVD certainly deserved it for playing Diddy, it's still dumb. I also don't think you'll see a new wave of pocket sonics like diddy's. KJ strongly thinks Sonic is ***.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Sonic is overrated because people fear his approach options strongly, but the fact of the matter is in Brawl, running away with him was difficult because he could easily be frame trapped and had to interact with his opponent more often to be defensive. His ledge options were poor and he never should have the lead on his opponent to begin with. He is stronger now and even more frustrating to chase around as you can't really safely throw out attacks in this game to try to space him out.

Pocket Sonics are less likely. As I said, he isn't as easy to play as Diddy.

Heavy Skullbash is strong. I'd hate to see it confirmed into, but I don't see the problem with it out of a read. Diddy has twitch reaction DI mixups that can kill you at 40-80 percent and he doesn't get punished for trying it. Pikachu has a slow, laggy move that requires awkward sweetspotting to hit and if he gets blocked, whiffs etc. you can probably just kill him anyway.

Its definitely strong, and its fortunate for pika that it replaces an attack thats otherwise not really used to fight.

I guess we aren't happy about strong offensive or defensive options.

I'll play online if anyone wants to today btw.

Ojih~Sama

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ojih-sama
3DS FC
1907-9993-5995
alrite question, what was the reason why lil mac was nerfed in the first place? was it something about lil mac's win rate online or was was it more about the casuals complaining about him?

im asking this because i really feel that no sort of character patch will happen unless the casual crowd creates an uproar about a certain character, or mechanic. really i wish they would patch rolling, and shield push, but i know that is most likely impossible since casuals wont even be concerned with in depth subjects?

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Lol Tesh you're unraveling.

Who's got info on this SA custom tourney on Sunday after SAM?

And while MVD certainly deserved it for playing Diddy, it's still dumb. I also don't think you'll see a new wave of pocket sonics like diddy's. KJ strongly thinks Sonic is ***.
Not total ass but definitely overrated. Espy shares the same views.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure Diddy Kong is also a problem on Roll Glory, but at this point I don't know if anyone will care.

Little Mac's recovery was supposed to be designed to be poor. I really would have preferred to see a couple of nice buffs for him onstage so he wouldn't get grabbed so easily.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I don't mind driving up. My car can fit 4 comfortably including myself, but 5 if needed. If not I'm down for riding with Xyro, but I do think we should rotate halfway lol.

I have no idea how to unlock customs or whichever is the fastest way. I literally have 0 but wouldn't mind playing around with them before SA. Any advice?

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Would they have to rotate?
It's a quick trip so Id say the only switch would be when we leave to head back home. So if you rode to SA in the back, you get to ride home in the front.

Usually, people sleep or play 3ds to pass time. It's only a 3 hour trip. The ride at night is crispy and refreshing. Great sleeping weather.

alrite question, what was the reason why lil mac was nerfed in the first place? was it something about lil mac's win rate online or was was it more about the casuals complaining about him?

im asking this because i really feel that no sort of character patch will happen unless the casual crowd creates an uproar about a certain character, or mechanic. really i wish they would patch rolling, and shield push, but i know that is most likely impossible since casuals wont even be concerned with in depth subjects?
Mac has a very low win ratio on wifi.

kotaku.com/little-mac-is-smash-bros-biggest-loser-1658263617

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's a quick trip so Id say the only switch would be when we leave to head back home. So if you rode to SA in the back, you get to ride home in the front.

Usually, people sleep or play 3ds to pass time. It's only a 3 hour trip. The ride at night is crispy and refreshing. Great sleeping weather.
I now predict a blizzard with temperatures below freezing. Enjoy freezing your butts.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
I don't mind driving up. My car can fit 4 comfortably including myself, but 5 if needed. If not I'm down for riding with Xyro, but I do think we should rotate halfway lol.

I have no idea how to unlock customs or whichever is the fastest way. I literally have 0 but wouldn't mind playing around with them before SA. Any advice?
Buy a turbo controller if you don't already have one. Make a tag with "special" for the A button, select Ganon in target blast, and activate turbo for A. You don't need to learn custom moves for SAM though.

As for the Ultra weekly, here's some info from last week (from Facebook).

Smash 4 Doubles
Signups start at 3:30pm
Tournament starts at 4 pm
Entry: $5 per person/$10 per team
Venue fee $5 (waived if you bring a setup: wii u/game/adapter ultra has some spare tvs, but bring your own if you are comfortable doing so just in case)

Doubles ruleset:
3 stock 8 minute
Best 2 out of 3. Finals will be 3 out of 5
Team attack on
No custom moves or equipment
Starter stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Town & City
Smashville
Counterpicks:
All starter stages
Kongo Jungle
Skyloft
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Duck Hunt

Winners of previous match may strike 2 stages from the list of starters and counterpicks. The losing team can then choose any of the remaining stages
In game 3, you cannot pick a stage you have already won on.

Winning team then chooses their fighters first, then the losers choose theirs.

If there are any disputes contact a TO to discuss solutions if the problem cannot be solved between yourselves.

Smash 4 Custom Singles

Signups start at 6pm
Tournament starts at 6:30pm
Entry $5 per entrant
Venue fee $5 (waived if you bring a setup: wii u/game/adapter ultra has some spare tvs, but bring your own if you are comfortable doing so just in case)

Custom Singles ruleset:
3 stock 7 minute
Best 2 out of 3. Finals will be 3 out of 5
All Custom moves are legal
Equipment is banned
Starter stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Town & City
Smashville
Counterpicks:
All starter stages
Kongo Jungle
Skyloft
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Duck Hunt

Winner of previous match may strike 2 stages from the list of starters and counterpicks. The loser can then choose any of the remaining stages
In game 3, you cannot pick a stage you have already won on.

Winner then chooses his/her fighter first, then the loser choose theirs.

If there are any disputes contact a TO to discuss solutions if the problem cannot be solved between yourselves
Interesting that doubles is not custom legal hmm... FYI, its probably the only 3 stock custom legal event in the state. I asked Zack Trimble to confirm that it was going on that weekend and he said yes.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Krebs, when are we getting those TGC videos???? It's been almost a month now. Megafox vs Denti would have helped me A LOT if I was able to study before SFC 1. Gotta be on top of that.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
The year is 20XX, Team Greensleeves has finally uploaded TGC1 videos. Denti places 65th and Ultimate Turtle plays Fox dittos in the underground fight pits.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Playing Bayonetta 1 again. Man this is STILL a super good game Just to sit back and now down enemies for a stress release.

Last edited:

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
also aside from "pick a better character" any tips on Dark Pit? i know he has down throw to up smash confirmed till after 45ish and he edge guards well
Watch nairo a lot. Also watch Earth, a Japanese player, although it might be hard to find videos of him.
arrows are bad regardless and force the same situation no matter which one you use, it's only for forcing airdodges because they are going to avoid it offstage. You'd think pit's arrows would be more effective against characters that recover low but it doesn't do anything really.

Side b being a kill move is a pretty moot point considering it's just as if not more unsafe than an fsmash which will kill earlier anyway, dark pit's not only does more damage but puts them offstage which is a position he can deal with very well and get early gimps rather than praying your opponent is dumb enough to not shield at 150%. Not to mention dark pit's side b is way way waaaay better against rosalina, maybe some light characters can get cheesed by pit's side b but that's about it.

ftilt is a bad move so who cares if it does a little more damage, you shouldn't be using it in the first place.

Pit is a better character on paper, but there's really nothing but preference in which one you use, it doesn't make much of a significant difference outside of a few MUs to make it to the point where you wish you were using one instead of the other, other than having to listen to pit's horrid voice, that alone should make that **** not worth it

tl;dr - If you can use one pit, you can use the other, it's like having a character with custom moves while no one else does basically, you can pick the one that feels the most natural in a MU
I disagree with everything you said.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Right now, all the people that will flock to the best option are on Diddy. Most of the Sonic play you have seen is from players that love the character (Espy, Seagull, 6wx, KJ). Sonic might not be as easy as Diddy, but you won't be thrilled to see any of those character try to catch a Sonic with a lead and the will to straight up run away. Especially on YOUR stagelist.

The only thing that might stop you from crying about it is the fact that you hate you admit you are wrong.

Sonic, Yoshi, Sheik and Falcon all have the toolkits to be extremely lame. Its just that the people who would be most likely to abuse it are busy using Diddy.

All things considered. I'm certain Diddy will dominate customs legal anyway. He may have a tougher time, but he is still the overall safest option.
:4sonic: is fun to use. :4diddy: is boring and easy to use. I can use him with relative ease. He's braindead. I'd rather use :diddy: only in PM who actually requires me to think and press buttons.

I love getting hated for using :4sonic: when he's not even top 5. People can stay bad and mad.
:018:

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's good to see namesearching is alive and well.

Top Bottom