• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
I think the point they're trying to make is that they took that exact approach with MK in Brawl and it effectively destroyed the game's viewership and altered the meta in a not-so-pleasant fashion.
Yeah, I gotcha. My point is that the game is entirely too young to be taking the mindset that things should be banned because they're deemed "OP". You'd be strangling the game before it's had a chance to bloom

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
That would be the main point for what Xyro is trying to do. He won't have his tournament series tainted and is set in his ways. That's fine. Deal with it by calling him a scumbag
Hopefully my posts aren't coming off as this or otherwise belligerent. I'm just trying to give a view from the other side, drawing from a little over 10 years of competitive fighting game experience. Granted that isn't in Smash Bros, but I think the same overall principles apply in a case like this

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Don't take things said here too seriously. We're much nicer people in person. We post stupid dumb stuff all the time.

And Xyro is pretty blunt in his views.

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I gotcha. My point is that the game is entirely too young to be taking the mindset that things should be banned because they're deemed "OP". You'd be strangling the game before it's had a chance to bloom
I see what you're getting at but I also recognize striking similarities between the now customs-dilemma and the then MK dilemma and understand why some are hesitant (if not outright resisting) to take the same "lets try it and see what happens" approach.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
The game is also too young to be installing customs to make a "new meta" when this one hasn't even developed fully. You know how long it would take for a custom meta to develop? It also doesn't add depth or whatever, just changes it with a sprinkle of jank and early deaths.

Tesh, I'm not misinformed nor am I stubborn (what does this mean? that I refuse to agreee to customs?). I just don't put things eloquently. RT does that.

Customs are fun. They should be a side event. They shouldn't be the norm right now because for some sick reason EVO is being used as a testing ground. EVO. The biggest Smash 4 tourney to date (1k plus already entered). Can't comprehend how dumb that is.

I've also seen people advocating banning certain custom moves. LOL. Brawl pls.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
reading the talk about namesearching, I tried it and realized I missed a few things in this thread because I skipped pages at a time.

Missed RT offering me a sheik amiibo at the cost of my soul (got one anyway so we good)
Missed Illmatic's trillion page post <3 ph3 misses u bby
Missed KJ's **** talk (we played one marth ditto ever! Don't main him anymore anyway so you can have it~). Not sure if I'll be at SAM 3 btw, gonna be up in seguin visiting family that weekend but if I can manage to sneak away I'll go, our MM will happen at some point tho for sure.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I see what you're getting at but I also recognize striking smilarities between the now customs-dilemma and the then MK dilemma and understand why some are hesitant (if not outright resisting) to take the same "lets try it and see what happens" approach.
This is part of the fear.
Nope, if this is how it will be done, I will not support this plan. ALL OR NONE. Stop making compromises just to keep something legal. It resulted in disaster last time. People who suggest this and forgot what happened in Brawl because of this are dumb.

Last edited:

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Then you have no idea how this game works, whoever you are. Did you name search dark pit or something like wtf

Lol. Just pointing out your inexperience.

Last edited:

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
The game is also too young to be installing customs to make a "new meta" when this one hasn't even developed fully.
I can see where you're coming from on this, but I don't see why they have to be "separate metas". I guess I have the mentality that everything should be included and all of the moves should be taken into account when looking at the meta

ALL OR NONE.
Def agree with this

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
They have to be separate metas because customs alters the meta. Little Mac will definitely do worse in custom meta vs. vanilla meta due to all the windboxes.

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
I think of the different special moves in Smash like I think of Street Fighter 3's super arts, Marvel vs Capcom's assists, or Capcom vs SNK 2's grooves. You'd have to take into account what the opponent selects and alter your gameplan accordingly if need be. The different options available would all factor into The Smash Bros 4 Meta

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Tried and true should take precedence over what's new. Especially if what's "new" was created without balance in mind.

Relax, children, you are safe with papa Xyro. I won't allow sh*t custom moves. I'll let the low skill low iq players who can't handle real smash praise them.

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
Tried and true should take precedence over what's new. Especially if what's "new" was created without balance in mind.

Relax, children, you are safe with papa Xyro. I won't allow sh*t custom moves. I'll let the low skill low iq players who can't handle real smash praise them.
Thank you, Father Lesbian for protecting us from unholy rulesets. You will be forever praised! All hail Father Lesbian!

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet

No disrespect, but that's terribly narrow-minded of you. If that's the case, then why play Smash 4 at all? Why not stay with Smash 64 or Melee since it's "tried and true"? So there was a bad experience with Brawl... that shouldn't taint your outlook on every future game in the series.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
While I can see how you try to draw comparisons to other traditional fighters...you really can't. Smash is nothing like those other fighters. Customs does not equal MvC assists and so on.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
The game is also too young to be installing customs to make a "new meta" when this one hasn't even developed fully. You know how long it would take for a custom meta to develop? It also doesn't add depth or whatever, just changes it with a sprinkle of jank and early deaths.

Tesh, I'm not misinformed nor am I stubborn (what does this mean? that I refuse to agreee to customs?). I just don't put things eloquently. RT does that.

Customs are fun. They should be a side event. They shouldn't be the norm right now because for some sick reason EVO is being used as a testing ground. EVO. The biggest Smash 4 tourney to date (1k plus already entered). Can't comprehend how dumb that is.

Last page or so, you said you didn't realize Villager could ledge camp the way ADHD did. I'm just pointing out that you and Xyro obviously DON'T know as much about customs as I do, but you have passed judgement. In the end, you might wind up right, but not because you looked at all the facts and made a logical decision, but because you guessed. I'm sure while you are worrying about the game being campy, you haven't looked into the customs that allow for stronger approach options or breaking down defensive walls. Approach mixups that go beyond "Do I dash grab or dash attack?".

Customs shouldn't be the "new meta" they should be the meta we started with because we shouldn't be "butchering" the game so early without cause. But Xyro is a hypocrite who would rather make us play on Wii Fit Studio than try a completely new concept for Smash.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lmao my originally sentiment about Villager was right and validated even further. There was no need for me to even research that. I've effing played it in tournament. I knew what it would be. It's literally worse than what I thought. No, Tesh I have looked into some those approaches. DK's custom up b can be used to approach greatly :) Plus, customs don't only affect approaching. While dash grab and attack are strong approach mixups, there are more. Try to use them.

Lmaoooo it would be a new, different meta alright. Like I said, Little Mac wouldn't survive in the custom meta compared to the normal one. Also, F ustoms AND Wii Fit Studio.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Best Villager you played was BC, and he didn't know about it either at the time.

And no, offline, DK up B isn't much of an approach. Its a strong follow up as it scoops up defensive options that aren't shield very easily, but it loses to shielding and counterattacking as its fairly slow.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Wrong. Best I've played is MJG.

It definitely is with platforms. Ban FD and boom. Viable approach/mix up as you force them to hold shield.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Wrong. Best I've played is MJG.

It definitely is with platforms. Ban FD and boom. Viable approach/mix up as you force them to hold shield.
You played MJG with customs? BC outplaced him anyway and thats the only thing that matters :p

Holding shield is an option that works for everyone, but throwing out quick attacks (which give DK hell anyway), still beat his up B. But, as you said, it gives him an important option even in neutral that stops his opponent from escaping pressure the same way every time. Up B scoops up rolls and spotdodges, side B breaks shields, empty hops and bairs can be used to deal with preemptive strikes.

Xyro77

No disrespect, but that's terribly narrow-minded of you. If that's the case, then why play Smash 4 at all? Why not stay with Smash 64 or Melee since it's "tried and true"? So there was a bad experience with Brawl... that shouldn't taint your outlook on every future game in the series.
Wtf? Who said melee/64 has anything to do with the phrase "tried and true"
You don't even know why I said it or how I came up with it or how it relates to smash 4/customs.

There is stark difference between a "tainted outlook" and taking out the garbage before it starts to smell. Well, what is that difference, you ask? EXPERIENCE. Exp that can be applied to smash 4 because it is so similar to brawl.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lmao at banning customs from butchering the game. Customs were definitely added in as rewards for single player. This game's meta definitely should not have started off with customs. It will be WAY harder to ban customs once installed rather than to legalize them. Also, customs will literally make 2 stocks even worse.

Zano is right, f this thread today and customs can drown in acid along with Diddy and 2 stocks.

Now who wants to play customs wifi rn?

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Last edited:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Lmao at banning customs from butchering the game. Customs were definitely added in as rewards for single player. This game's meta definitely should not have started off with customs. It will be WAY harder to ban customs once installed rather than to legalize them. Also, customs will literally make 2 stocks even worse.

Zano is right, f this thread today and customs can drown in acid along with Diddy and 2 stocks.

Now who wants to play customs wifi rn?
Wanna play?

Xyro77

Any large deviations from the status quo is considered "butchering"

So going from no customs to customs is a massive deviation from what we already know works. No need to reinvent the smash wheel. It already works And has been working since 1999.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
There's the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LastSmashStanding?fref=ts

BTW pretty cool 40 man weekly going on right now. Lots of good players in attendance. Also, that was a great set we had there RunCt.

http://challonge.com/su5

I'm sure most of you recognize those in top 10, but MPH in particular is a really great Rosalina player. Took a set off Dao.
Will you be going and if so can you take me?

Looking at the bracket and oh lordy lots of good players there! karna putting in work, gnes making it through losers

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
Wtf? Who said melee/64 has anything to do with the phrase "tried and true"
You don't even know why I said it or how I came up with it or how it relates to smash 4/customs.
Well please explain then. I'm trying to understand the mentality of you guys that are against customs because I really don't get it. I'm honestly not trying to troll or bring out hostility in anyone or anything. Just trying to join the discussion that's been taking place today and better understand the other position

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
Any large deviations from the status quo is considered "butchering"

So going from no customs to customs is a massive deviation from what we already know works. No need to reinvent the smash wheel. It already works And has been working since 1999.
Sorry, just saw this post. It kinda answers my last post

So hypothetically, let's say the Evo experiment this year really takes off. The large majority end up loving customs and it becomes the standard everywhere... would you still not want to include them in the Houston scene?

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Majority of Brawl had MK legal. Guess what? He was a major contribution to the game's death. Houston: one of the only major places to ban him.

Top Bottom