• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
After reading all of this, i wouldn't mind Xyro banning Diddy if it leads up to it. id be sad but i would probably still attend his tournaments due to the fact that i want to have fun competing and pretty much enjoy the game still. But if he allows customs, id probably not attend... lol, i agree with RT on them being more like items or to be used just for fun, but that's just imo and my reasons on that are pretty much self-explanatory. (refer to the posts by all the anti-customs peeps)

I know you were not around for the brawl days but let me assure you of something. Banning is a last resort. Diddy will NOT be banned at my events until at least 12 months of diddy domination. 12 months means that patches/Mewtwo/time has failed to counter diddy and so he needs to go in order to preserve the game.

Coming off of Brawl exp, I highly recommend you pick up a 2ndary and begin training with him/her NOW so that when if gets banned, you are safe.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm pretty sure Flip and most people have common sense in regards to tournaments ran by other people. If it's some unknown TO claiming thousands of dollars in prize money at some unknown venue that isn't a convention or something silimar, it's usually a sign to run in the other direction.

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
It's not worth it if they steal your money, man :( :( :(
Yeah, that's pretty ****ty. How common would you say this is?

Also, is there like a big centralized list of all the upcoming tournaments in the area? I've tried looking before so I could plan ahead, but I can only ever seem to find links to single events. I love that the TGC events are planned out way in advance

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Yeah, shady looking tournaments are no bueno. So far the weeklies I've been to and a couple other tournaments have paid out 100% of the entry fee (some don't even do venue fee) or some guarantee the pot they allow to give. This community is getting better with knowing which places to go or not.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm still curious how tourneys will handle if a patch comes out the day before a tourney, but only some people download the patch while others didn't/forgot. What a nightmare that would be unless the venue has internet...

Xyro77

Yeah, that's pretty ****ty. How common would you say this is?

Also, is there like a big centralized list of all the upcoming tournaments in the area? I've tried looking before so I could plan ahead, but I can only ever seem to find links to single events. I love that the TGC events are planned out way in advance
The front page of this thread has a list of upcoming events.

And no, in general, scams like the one flip posted is rare. Usually done at the beginning of a games life because everyone is hungry to play.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Would be a mess. A good TO would address prior the tournament and have a backup plan if that scenario happens.

Also agreed what Xyro posted. Remember anything that's too good to be true is too good to be true.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I'm still curious how tourneys will handle if a patch comes out the day before a tourney, but only some people download the patch while others didn't/forgot. What a nightmare that would be unless the venue has internet...
All you can do as a TO is request that players get the patch asap. We can't afford to leave out full setups.

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
I know you were not around for the brawl days but let me assure you of something. Banning is a last resort. Diddy will NOT be banned at my events until at least 12 months of diddy domination. 12 months means that patches/Mewtwo/time has failed to counter diddy and so he needs to go in order to preserve the game.

Coming off of Brawl exp, I highly recommend you pick up a 2ndary and begin training with him/her NOW so that when if gets banned, you are safe.
Understandable. and yeah, i am always ready with secondaries ;)

Trela

Smash Lord
Any other tournaments happening this weekend?

So many Facebook events that I find out about too late or are just never advertised enough, though I HAVE to be looking in the wrong places or something if most of them are getting such good numbers in turnouts. Smash United weeklies on Tuesdays and the Garage weeklies on Thursdays is all I know.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I wouldn't go. Saw this post from the OP of the Event.. If 80 entrants show up total pot is $1,200.
There will be $225 for the 1st, $45 for the 2nd and $30 for the 3rd place
Wow, is there any way to post to warn people? This is trash.

But yeah, Karna is rising fast. You're getting to a point where we can't answer what you did wrong ;) lol.

Also F. I forgot the SA weekend falls on Easter. Gotta think what I'm gonna do now.

Xyro77

Register for TGC 2, guys. I am doing online registration for singles/venue. This will get you correct seeding and a chance at see the bracket/pools before the event starts.

smashboards.com/threads/apr-25-2015-the-official-tgc-event-2-houston-tx.394551/

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
All you can do as a TO is request that players get the patch asap. We can't afford to leave out full setups.
I am just concerned because of the impending Mewtwo update. I doubt they would release it on Friday before a tourney, but if they did and the patch came with some sort of balance update along with Mewtwo, it could really mess up the expected number of setups if people don't get the update. You can obviously temp ban Mewtwo if needed, but you can't ban balance changes. I guess that problem will be tackled when it happens, hopefully never.

Is there anything going on this weekend? I wouldn't mind getting a small amount of practice, if only to mess around with Diddy or something. You would get access to the rare all custom moves unlocked setup. ;)

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
This weekend other than Aftershock, not that I know of.

Smash United started off as a small friendly weekly. Had their first Weekly 5 weeks ago with 16 entrants. I guess word spread and eventually hit bigger numbers. I think it was roughly the numbers below.
1. 16
2. 20
3. 24
4. 32
5. 40

Agreed Trela, I do say some tournaments need to be promoted more/often on the Houston Smash 4 FB page in order to obtain numbers. Best way to do it, is join the different Houston scenes and see what they post. So far there is only Smash United, Katy Smash, and Houston Smash 4. Katy is doing a tournament tomorrow as well (conflicts with the Garage tournament). 20 entrants cap, no customs.

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
ill probably be at the garage weeklies more often then the katy weeklies due to the fact that its way closer to my location. Distance is an issue for me at times :(

Xyro77

I am just concerned because of the impending Mewtwo update. I doubt they would release it on Friday before a tourney, but if they did and the patch came with some sort of balance update along with Mewtwo, it could really mess up the expected number of setups if people don't get the update. You can obviously temp ban Mewtwo if needed, but you can't ban balance changes. I guess that problem will be tackled when it happens, hopefully never.
There isnt a 100% sure way to guarantee all users have the save updated version of smash4 :( all i can do is just ask the players to update as soon as a patch goes live.

Also, 5 days until no more free mewtwo downloads

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I hope Mewtwo has been changed for the better. He could be fun to play if they fixed a few key problems with him.

Xyro77

I hope Mewtwo has been changed for the better. He could be fun to play if they fixed a few key problems with him.
Seeing how this game loves dthrow to combo, i think it would be fair to assume that Mewtwo could link dthrow to a few fairs or uairs. if that is the case, he could be decent. Uthrow was his kill throw so maybe it will be stronger in smash 4. i would love to see a uthrow kill like ness bthrow LMAO

but then again, if hes as big and slow as he was in melee, that may be an issue.

Last edited:

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
Random Thought: What if Mewtwo Surpasses Diddy and gets a tier of its own lol. oh god...

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
So many Facebook events that I find out about too late or are just never advertised enough, though I HAVE to be looking in the wrong places or something if most of them are getting such good numbers in turnouts.
Yeah, this is basically what I'm running into. The first page of this topic only has the biggest main tourneys, right? Is there a list of weeklies?

Last edited:

Xyro77

Yeah, this is basically what I'm running into. The first page only has the biggest main tourneys, right? Is there a list of weeklies?
No i dont list weeklies. only monthlies and big events. weeklies burn people out and lessen the importance of monthlies.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I wouldn't go. Saw this post from the OP of the Event.. If 80 entrants show up total pot is $1,200.
There will be $225 for the 1st, $45 for the 2nd and $30 for the 3rd place
Think they'll change payouts if the players speak up?

Xyro77

Think they'll change payouts if the players speak up?
If you call them out on the scam they might.

Random Thought: What if Mewtwo Surpasses Diddy and gets a tier of its own lol. oh god...
I doubt it will happen but if it does then we will .......oh god forgive me.....we will NEED diddy.........

*vomits*

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Melee Mewtwo had quite a few problems:

1. Big size, but light weight and floaty
2. Disable and Confusion were borderline useless
3. Dsmash did not give coverage behind him, which was terrible
4. Fthrow was garbage despite looking cool
5. Long-ass usmash
6. No protection during Teleport

Assuming no significant moveset changes, except to hopefully fix his Dsmash (just make him hit both sides), he probably would benefit a little. Since multihit moves are good, his nair would be stupidly good and guaranteed damage if it hits. He also had good tilts, so I assume they would still be godly. Rage would definitely make him scary if he gets two killthrows. And since ledgetrumping is in and he is invincible (not on screen) when he recovers, he would be stupid to edgeguard. All theory of course. Could end up Doc tier. :(

I could see them giving him some sort of long distance psychic command grab. Would be hilarious and probably OP.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Kinda off topic but this thread hit a small milestone!

The Houston thread hit over 8k posts and over 100k views! Still a VERY long way to go before we beat the brawl thread but still good news so far. KEEP IT UP!

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Let's celebrate by reminiscing about Hobo 12.

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
No more Hobo 12 talk. Let's talk about Hobo 10 when Fliphop almost beat DSF's MK on Battlefield.

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
I Have a funding idea that would probably make millions. Why don't you turn this bad rep of "Hobo 12" and do a "Hobo 12 Revived" invite all the pros from around the country. id waste the money in my savings account to advertise and make this a great experience. (i have a strange feeling this was already said by someone else?) but yeah. or even "Hobo 12 Advanced" or "Hobo 12 Xyro Remix"

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
Wow, is there any way to post to warn people? This is trash.

But yeah, Karna is rising fast. You're getting to a point where we can't answer what you did wrong ;) lol.

Also F. I forgot the SA weekend falls on Easter. Gotta think what I'm gonna do now.
Haha I'll still keep asking

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That's a good attitude to have. Always strive to be better, never assume you are at your max.

Until you become a washed-up old gen.

Last edited:

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
Kinda off topic but this thread hit a small milestone!

The Houston thread hit over 8k posts and over 100k views! Still a VERY long way to go before we beat the brawl thread but still good news so far. KEEP IT UP!
The real question is how many total likes does this thread have compared to the previous Houston Thread? That's what I want to know. Is there a quick method to check how many total likes this thread has to your knowledge?

Xyro77

The real question is how many total likes does this thread have compared to the previous Houston Thread? That's what I want to know. Is there a quick method to check how many total likes this thread has to your knowledge?
I've blocked you because you are by far the most annoying poster we have had in a while so I don't know or care how many likes have been given.

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
Thanks, old man. You have finally seen the light. Everyone should follow in your footsteps and ignore me. That way, I can like everything in peace without the constant ********.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It is generally frowned upon for a TO to make money from a tournament, unless they are being sponsored/employed to do so or some charity event that is agreed upon prior to the tournament and everyone is aware before entering. All money should go to either covering the venue (venue fee), reinvested into future events, or be paid out. A TO secretly pocketing money from the pot is a big no-no and one of the biggest sins a TO can commit. There have been many Smash tourneys in the past where funds were mishandled or misappropriated due to shady happenings. Some Houston people have been burned by lack of payouts from some major tourneys.

If a TO is concerned about paying himself or does not explaining why the payout does not fit the math, that is a red flag. You are always allowed to question the breakdown of payouts, nothing should be secret.

When in doubt about a tournament, check to see if if the TO is notable or at least has some credit from someone else that is reputable. If it seems like some random person, better to avoid and be safe.

In this case, avoid that tourney, unless you want to accept the risk. Just be warned you will encourage the bad behavior.

Last edited:
Top Bottom