• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
It is generally frowned upon for a TO to make money from a tournament, unless they are being sponsored/employed to do so or some charity event that is agreed upon prior to the tournament and everyone is aware before entering. All money should go to either covering the venue (venue fee), reinvested into future events, or be paid out. A TO secretly pocketing money from the pot is a big no-no and one of the biggest sins a TO can commit. There have been many Smash tourneys in the past where funds were mishandled or misappropriated due to shady happenings. Some Houston people have been burned by lack of payouts from some major tourneys.

If a TO is concerned about paying himself or does not explaining why the payout does not fit the math, that is a red flag. You are always allowed to question the breakdown of payouts, nothing should be secret.

When in doubt about a tournament, check to see if if the TO is notable or at least has some credit from someone else that is reputable. If it seems like some random person, better to avoid and be safe.

In this case, avoid that tourney, unless you want to accept the risk. Just be warned you will encourage the bad behavior.
I'm inexperienced in this matter which is why I'm asking if it all adds up.

someone asked:

Jaime Salinas I don't know. It still feels weak. The way I see it, since your entrants doubled, your payouts should also double. Before, at 40 entrants, you had a total payout of $200. Now, at 80 entrants, you only have a total payout of $300. Doesn't feel right to me.

and their response

Last Smash Standing Jaime Salinas I can see your concern, but please keep in mind that the venue is expensive, other costs must be paid (food, audio, etc) and also our team is consisted of 7 working people who have worked extremely hard to make this happen in the past 2 months. Please understand and if it still feels wrong to you, then I'm sorry but this is not the tournament for you. We are doing this for the community, not for the money. Thank you.

payouts are: Last Smash Standing 1st place $225 2nd place $45 3rd place $30

(total cost to attend is $15)

Rather than not attending can't we explain what the issues are and help them see why people are concerned? I'm thinking if people with experience/TO's clearly explain what the worry is, they'll change. If not then we know for sure what they're after.
Just giving them the benefit of the doubt since this is their first tournament

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Double the entrants = double the pot size = double payouts, assuming payouts are not altered

Assuming entry is $5, total pot size for 40 people is $200. For 80, it is $400. They are only paying out $300? That is $100 discrepancy. Instant red flag.

Their excuse of "venue is expensive, other costs must be paid (food, audio, etc) and also our team is consisted of 7 working people" is not valid because this should be covered under venue fee. He should charge enough to cover these issues. Too high, then oh well. It's starting to sound like this tournament might be run for-profit anyways, which may not be true, but these types of excuses have always led to this conclusion.

Tl;dr: IT IS NOT OKAY TO TO TAKE MONEY FROM THE POT, THIS IS FOR PAYOUTS ONLY

Last edited:

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
I neex to stop leaving for multiple days
I always have to read up on 100+ posts
Someone pls host an event this weekend me and @Trela need to team at a local :(

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
A small local or house tourney would be fun.

Good mix of tryhard and people goofing off with new characters hopefully.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dumb question, does Omni even play Smash 4?

Tripswag

Smash Cadet
Hey, Houston!

A lot of you won't know me, but my name is Dan, smash tag Tripswag. I'm from Abilene, TX. I was talking to Avoid the other day, and he recommended posting an event I'm hosting here in case any of you were interested.

Smash on the Hill: Abilene's First Monthly Tournament
Facebook event

I realize Houston's a ways away from Abilene, but I'm working hard to try and create a bigger tournament scene for Abilene and would appreciate all the Texas support I can get. There will be pot bonuses for singles events (PM and Sm4sh), a fairly spacious venue, convenient food places nearby, recording of matches, and potentially a livestream of the event (if the Wifi allows for it).

If you guys have any questions about anything regarding this tournament or are interested, let me know. I'd love to have some Houston rep. :)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He does it for twitch money, so in a sense yes.
Remember, this is the same person who was anti-mk ban and said there was nothing wrong with him. Now he said the same thing with his previous video about diddy.

This one is, while a good message, still silly to make. He's just adding more fuel to the fire honestly.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Omni did nothing for brawl but steal money with Mk. Maybe he needs a new way to be noticed/heard?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Ah, so he's just being silly. Does he enter tourneys and win? Otherwise, he's being *really* silly.

Xyro, what did you post? I am a sucker for potential drama.

BlueJx23

Smash Cadet
He responded and with basically the same response he gave me. Basically saying we're too concerned with the money and that he's just doing it for the community. I really just want a close tourney to go to, but I definitely don't want to support scammy TOing like this, either.

Here's the exchange:
Allan Sims I (Xyro) have been Houston's/Tx lead smash TO since 2004 and I've seen many many scam/rip off tournaments in my time.

This event appears to be one of those times. It is extremely skeptical and seems as if the TOing trying to make a profit is more important than paying players.
Last Smash Standing Allan Sims we are sorry we don't appear legit to you, like you and all people concerned about money we also play smash, we dont do this for the money, we are doing this for the community and smash, we are paying for the venue, the food, the audio, also we are students full time, we dont have the funds, we need the 7 people we are in order to pay for everything, again we apologize for any inconvenience, it is out first time TOing, we are open to any suggestions.
Allan Sims Did you not look at how others run events? There are hundreds of tried and true methods.

Did you not ask for advice? There are many notable honest TOs out there openly willing to help advise.

If you play smash competitively you had to have run across TOs and tournaments and or tournament Info. From TGC to Evo to Apex....etc.

Instead of charging a venue fee and a event fee (1vs1, 2vs2....etc) you charge one fee. I highly recommend you announce that you are not paying players the money they put in. I says this because there ARE very bitter players that will ruin your image because this event isn't looking so transparent.
edit: fixed order

Last edited:

Xyro77

the messages he posted ^ are out of order but they are quoted in full

edit: so far no response lol

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, Xyro did suggest something, separate the venue and entry fees. This is the standard. If he wants one fee, then state how much is going where.

Again, the fact that double the entrants =/= double payout amounts does not make sense. What, is the payout being done under a bell curve?

And people have a right to be distrustful BECAUSE there have been so many frauds in Smash history. I don't even place and I'm still concerned, because there is no established oversight.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Well, Xyro did suggest something, separate the venue and entry fees. This is the standard. If he wants one fee, then state how much is going where.

Again, the fact that double the entrants =/= double payout amounts does not make sense. What, is the payout being done under a bell curve?
bell curve...*shudders as he's still taking classes and prays the curve blesses him*

well he just announced that he's going to reexamine the new cost/prize info.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Good, at least the person is willing to acknowledge there is an issue.

FYI, most of my reasoning is common sense. If something sounds wrong or looks fishy, it probably is. Never be afraid to ask questions, because scams only work if you don't ask the right questions.

Smashcon fits under this at the moment. A lot of promises but not much info. I remember there was a Minecraft con in recent times that turned out to be a scam. So you can imagine my skepticism.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Good, at least the person is willing to acknowledge there is an issue.

FYI, most of my reasoning is common sense. If something sounds wrong or looks fishy, it probably is. Never be afraid to ask questions, because scams only work if you don't ask the right questions.

Smashcon fits under this at the moment. A lot of promises but not much info. I remember there was a Minecraft con in recent times that turned out to be a scam. So you can imagine my skepticism.
From my point of view there is no reason why you would not give out as much detail info for an event. Especially if it is your first time doing an event and you haven't built a rep yet

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, either newbie or scam. Good to see it is the former.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Play with your Mega Man amiibo.

You can teach it.

And it will teach you.

United...under one pellet.

Zori

Smash Champion
Also too many people have a misconception of "feral" rolling behind me and back throwing does not make you a aggressive player

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Also too many people have a misconception of "feral" rolling behind me and back throwing does not make you a aggressive player
What if I run past you pivot grab and back throw

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It all goes back to the question, "Are you fighting your opponent or fighting the game?"

Brawl had the same question, and you can guess the answer there.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Let me try to shed some light regarding San Antonio next week.
  • Thursday - Los Weekly 1-11 @ 6:30pm (Otaku Cafe, SAM Ruleset)
  • Saturday - SAM3 (Otaku Cafe)
  • Sunday - UA Weekly @ 7:00pm (Ultra Arcade, SAM Ruleset but with Customs Legal)
Otaku Cafe address: 5525 Blanco Road, San Antonio, TX
Ultra Arcade: 5946 Blanco Road, San Antonio, TX

Yes, both venues are on the same street. In fact, they are .4 miles apart.

Information about the Ultra Arcade Weeklies:

I don't run anything at Ultra Arcade, though I've gone to watch/compete a few times. I'll say that its a different experience, but for anyone who does plan on attending both and heading back to Houston late sunday night... expect to leave no earlier than 10-11pm (unless you dip out of bracket). Saying that the bracket runs slow would be putting it mildly. Santi, Incendiary, and other players usually just take control over the challenge bracket and try to get matches done.

They do allow people to play friendlies at the venue throughout the day when there open (I think at 2pm) and they have 4 setups. There is a $5 fee though. If you guys were interested in that, maybe I could ask the owners if they could combine that with the venue fee for the tourney.

Ultra Arcade has also randomly thrown out pot bonuses on their weeklies. A month ago they had $100 added to the pot and then the week after they had $200 added to the pot. That's just ridiculously amazing, especially because there weeklies.

If you get claustrophobic from crammed areas or if you are not a fan of being in a very hot venue, I would not recommend attending the UA weekly. Not alot of air circulation, 5743574343 machines being on (it IS an arcade), and a ton of people creating body heat takes its toll. Those who bring their gf's to UA tournies for "support" will find their gf ready to kill them lol. I've heard that they are potentially relocating in the next year which is great, but currently it is what it is.

They stream. The quality is very nice. Last past weekly there was no audio but I think that was just a one time thing. However, the bracket is run on the same computer as the stream.

If you have the time to spare on sunday, I would definitely recommend going. If your trying to get home on time or are weighing whether or not to spend easter with your family, I'd advise against attending the weekly.

If your not going to SAM3, then **** you.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Wow, is there any way to post to warn people? This is trash.

But yeah, Karna is rising fast. You're getting to a point where we can't answer what you did wrong ;) lol.

Also F. I forgot the SA weekend falls on Easter. Gotta think what I'm gonna do now.
This weekend other than Aftershock, not that I know of.

Smash United started off as a small friendly weekly. Had their first Weekly 5 weeks ago with 16 entrants. I guess word spread and eventually hit bigger numbers. I think it was roughly the numbers below.
1. 16
2. 20
3. 24
4. 32
5. 40

Agreed Trela, I do say some tournaments need to be promoted more/often on the Houston Smash 4 FB page in order to obtain numbers. Best way to do it, is join the different Houston scenes and see what they post. So far there is only Smash United, Katy Smash, and Houston Smash 4. Katy is doing a tournament tomorrow as well (conflicts with the Garage tournament). 20 entrants cap, no customs.
Yeah, I'm attending the Katy one tomorrow. I don't think it conflicts too hard considering its:

-21 miles away from the Katy weekly (even further for people in SW Houston)
-Garage weekly has an additional $5 venue fee
-Garage weekly is custom legal
-20 person cap on the Katy weekly

Kinda just grew out of a few casual house tourneys some Katy people were having and they decided to attract more talent so Katy could improve/grow. I'll attend Garage weekly sometime in the future.

Also, anyone in my carpool currently (Trela, Tesh, Razer, Gaius), if plans change cause of it being Easter weekend, just let me know with reasonable notice. Maybe I can consolidate with Krebs carpool if needed. Personally I have nothing going on for Easter.

@ Nike. Nike. If you wanted to talk to them about combining the venue fees that would be great. Honestly, I already thought they were combined.

Last edited:

Nike.

Smash Hero
On second thought, if your just gonna sit on smashboards sunday, stay in SA and attend the UA weekly. Beats watching Razer and Tesh STILL arguing about customs.

Top Bottom