• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Gonna sell one of the eight Gold Mario amiibos you have to fund your gas money?

You disgusting demon.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/v/3930427

Skip to 7:32:07 LMFAO.

"Also, customs are, for lack of a better word, ********. They dont ADD depth, they change it, and IMO not for the better. It may CHANGE the meta away from it's no-custom counterpart but that doesnt do anything, the meta is just different, and IMO more volatile and stupid. Villager planking isnt skill. Killing at 40 is slightly more skill but still stupid (and as the person who benefited i think i can say that justly and fairly unbiasedly)"

Esam's thoughts on it too. Makes sense.

It gets to a point where it's not about whether customs are beatable. It really gets into how it changes the game. Yeah people beat ADHD villager, but really? THAT'S what you're ok with for competitive play?

Allan, blast customs with beautiful gifs PLEASE.

Also, RIP Little Mac with customs. No way he's winning with all those wind boxes.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I think the word "skill" suffered a gruesome murder in Brawl from a backstab by MK, and its dead body has been tossed around by Diddy in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/v/3930427

Skip to 7:32:07 LMFAO.

"Also, customs are, for lack of a better word, ********. They dont ADD depth, they change it, and IMO not for the better. It may CHANGE the meta away from it's no-custom counterpart but that doesnt do anything, the meta is just different, and IMO more volatile and stupid. Villager planking isnt skill. Killing at 40 is slightly more skill but still stupid (and as the person who benefited i think i can say that justly and fairly unbiasedly)"

Esam's thoughts on it too. Makes sense.

It gets to a point where it's not about whether customs are beatable. It really gets into how it changes the game. Yeah people beat ADHD villager, but really? THAT'S what you're ok with for competitive play?

Allan, blast customs with beautiful gifs PLEASE.

Also, RIP Little Mac with customs. No way he's winning with all those wind boxes.

Why are people surprised at customs when I told them all of this would happen since day 1?

This is why I don't listen to people and instead do my own thing. The masses and mainstream TO/Players are soooo dumb.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Pretty good Google doc explaining what each custom does and general pros/cons of each.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13sH3F_-MsF-ymosxVIO6VLHJNoMs0pJgUJEicwLypWs/edit?pli=1#gid=0

@Krebs
This list is more like a quick reminder. Its not entirely accurate and obviously doesn't leave space to go into detail when it would be useful.

Killing at 40 is slightly more skill but still stupid
I don't understand that part.

All in all, this game is stupid on level that Brawl wasn't. The nerfed aerial approach game, insanely unbalanced grab follow ups and defensive options that put far more pressure on the attacker than people mashing Z, I don't see how custom moves make the game worse or dumber. The game is already pretty damn dumb. Is it really so bad that villager explodes on the ledge when most other viable strategies revolve around dash grabbing after your 5th roll?

Maybe I (and many others) dont see it yet, but its worth exploring. It took us a couple of months to see Diddy was stupid as heck, and we are still finding more things in vanilla and custom that can make the game better and worse. I still am not seeing anything that commands the level of respect Diddy gets.

ESAM's words might be that of a player that doesn't respect this game anyway. I saw what he was talking about (he read a landing and killed with heavyskullbash at 40%) and its basically the horizontal version of Diddy Dthrow to Dair or Upthrow to Uair. That honestly was the same broken kill percents other top tiers can get you with off of a small read at mid percents.

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
I'm interested in going to SAM, would be my first out of town smash tournament.

Xyro77

Lmao @ pro customs defending customs. They will say anything. Just like anti bans in the brawl days. History repeats.

I'm interested in going to SAM, would be my first out of town smash tournament.
I'll take you if you'd like.

Trela

Smash Lord
I'm down.

As for SAM3, I'm gonna start a carpool for it. My plan is to leave Saturday morning, attend SAM 3 of course, stay over Saturday night, attend the Ultra Arcade customs tourney Sunday night, and head back to Houston afterwards (probably will get back around 2am on Monday morning). We will stay in a Hampton Inn that is 5 miles away from the venue (I'm paying $30 for the night through employee discounts :)).

Everyone in my carpool will need to fork over $20 for both gas and the hotel. I have 3 spots right now if anyone's down.

P.S. If anyone in another carpool wants housing in a hotel Sat night, let me know. The hotel I booked at is sold out, but I'm seeing a Homewood suite 10 miles away that's $40.
*hands Knife $40*

I've yet to attend a tournament with customs, and I think it could be really fun if you go into the event with the right kind of mindset. I expect the absolute worst with customs on, but given that it's a small local tournament after the main event a day later, AND I get to hang out with everyone for an extra day? I have nothing to lose but my entry fee to Megafox's college fund.

.......Or I'll just pull a Krebs and take the tournament by making the, quote unquote, P U S S Y W E T. Right guys!? WHO'S WITH ME!?

Dear diary, I have never wished death upon myself until today....

Trela my matches against you at Game Guys weren't recorded. I wanted to see the setups I did. It was nasty lol.
It's odd that the past broadcasts on the GameGuys Twitch channel isn't coming up for me anymore. Me and Razer were just watching over everything last night. I wish we had saved those matches as well. I love playing DBZ together <3

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
*hands Knife $40*

I've yet to attend a tournament with customs, and I think it could be really fun if you go into the event with the right kind of mindset. I expect the absolute worst with customs on, but given that it's a small local tournament after the main event a day later, AND I get to hang out with everyone for an extra day? I have nothing to lose but my entry fee to Megafox's college fund.

.......Or I'll just pull a Krebs and take the tournament by making the, quote unquote, P U S S Y W E T. Right guys!? WHO'S WITH ME!?

Dear diary, I have never wished death upon myself until today....

It's odd that the past broadcasts on the GameGuys Twitch channel isn't coming up for me anymore. Me and Razer were just watching over everything last night. I wish we had saved those matches as well. I love playing DBZ together <3
Hell yeah, let's do this. BTW, I'm not asking for $40, I'm asking for $20 ($10 for hotel and $10 for gas round trip) for the trip in all (I expect to get a full carpool)

I assume Xyro probably won't be sticking around for the customs tourney, so if any of you guys don't want to participate in that you probably go with him. Anyone else who does want to do customs on top of SAM 3, I got 2 more spots left.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I've yet to attend a tournament with customs, and I think it could be really fun if you go into the event with the right kind of mindset. I expect the absolute worst with customs on, but given that it's a small local tournament after the main event a day later, AND I get to hang out with everyone for an extra day?
*recalls tournament where Gnes got timed out by custom Sonic*

I know one person who didn't have fun that day~ :)

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It was one of the first few 3DS tourneys Houston had. Before Diddy hoohah, before Villager shenanigans, before DARKNESS, people had already decided that they were going to time people out with custom moves. And yet people think customs will help the meta instead of creating new forms of camp and timeouts.

But I guess some things won't change.

I hope I am wrong, but some people are bad at hiding their true intentions.

Last edited:

Trela

Smash Lord
GFC1 was probably the worst Smash 4 tournament I've been to so far, gameplay-wise that is.

But it WAS our first real event for a lot of us, and I think things have gotten better for the most part.......

Right guys?

*DIDDY FLASHBACKS*

.......Guys?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Trela, let's play some friendlies tonight. I go Sonic and you can use whatever. I will try to time you out on Big Battlefield. I call it The Gnes Experience.

Then you can play a dubs match with three other Diddys. It is literally some version of Smash hell. I call it The RT Experience.

I want to see someone do 1v3 with three Diddys and no FF. The Champion's Test.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
One thing I do believe you on Xyro, you cannot stop people from timing out if they are on a mission. You can get the lead, you can win, but in this game you can avoid death sooooooooooooo hard if you aren't even trying to fight back.

Most good customs are helping people kill earlier, even if it is abit cheesey (looking at mii brawler).

Razer and Xyro, your solution to this meta is to ban Diddy? And then watch Sonic players roll around?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I almost took Trela out at GFC 1. Still scarred from the SD. :(
I think he has more scars than you nowadays. You can stop SDing. He can't stop the inevitable pain by Diddy.

Trela, pls be my first purposely done timeout. <3

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Btw, I'm also interested in going with you Knife. I'd love to do the customs tournament as well.

Xyro77

Tesh, Sonic will not dominate if diddy is gone.

Ness/fox/falcon/Yoshi/Rosalina can deal with him.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

And Lucario, but...

*no one mains Lucario*

Yeah, never mind.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
One thing I do believe you on Xyro, you cannot stop people from timing out if they are on a mission. You can get the lead, you can win, but in this game you can avoid death sooooooooooooo hard if you aren't even trying to fight back.

Most good customs are helping people kill earlier, even if it is abit cheesey (looking at mii brawler).

Razer and Xyro, your solution to this meta is to ban Diddy? And then watch Sonic players roll around?
Sonic's never gonna dominate, period. Once people actually figure out what he can and can't do the divide between the good sonics and the bad ones will reveal itself even further.

If anybody's going to dominate it's shiek.

I agree with the first 3 + pikachu

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
Its going to be a 20XX for smash 4 with fox's running the place if diddy is gone. imo

Teshie U

Smash Lord

Right now, all the people that will flock to the best option are on Diddy. Most of the Sonic play you have seen is from players that love the character (Espy, Seagull, 6wx, KJ). Sonic might not be as easy as Diddy, but you won't be thrilled to see any of those character try to catch a Sonic with a lead and the will to straight up run away. Especially on YOUR stagelist.

The only thing that might stop you from crying about it is the fact that you hate you admit you are wrong.

Sonic, Yoshi, Sheik and Falcon all have the toolkits to be extremely lame. Its just that the people who would be most likely to abuse it are busy using Diddy.

All things considered. I'm certain Diddy will dominate customs legal anyway. He may have a tougher time, but he is still the overall safest option.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Right now, all the people that will flock to the best option are on Diddy. Most of the Sonic play you have seen is from players that love the character (Espy, Seagull, 6wx, KJ). Sonic might not be as easy as Diddy, but you won't be thrilled to see any of those character try to catch a Sonic with a lead and the will to straight up run away. Especially on YOUR stagelist.

The only thing that might stop you from crying about it is the fact that you hate you admit you are wrong.

Sonic, Yoshi, Sheik and Falcon all have the toolkits to be extremely lame. Its just that the people who would be most likely to abuse it are busy using Diddy.

All things considered. I'm certain Diddy will dominate customs legal anyway. He may have a tougher time, but he is still the overall safest option.
Oh, I think see what you're saying Tesh, the top people using diddy in a lame way will play other top tiers in a lame way if diddy's gone, and will have very large stages to camp on, correct?

Xyro77

Once diddy is gone, everybody can be countered. By stage or by character or by both at the same time.

The EXACT same thing that could have happened with brawl MK had he been banned.

Camping shouldn't be an issue. It's in every fighting game ever created. It is in real life sports and politics as well. Deal with it.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I can assure you Yoshi can't handle diddy very well.
Every good Diddy player I've faced so far (Alsm Flip Santi) has 3 stocked me once or twice already, Yoshi can't get past the great wall of Diddy cause his aerials have huge hitboxes that just punts him in the nose while having 0 landing lag.

SH eggtoss can't work against him either because with how fast the empire is while throwing out a frame 3 move that covers his entire body + more.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yoshi can't do much vs Diddy's aerials other than trading hits. Even Yoshi's silly nair can't save him.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Which is not a good thing since none of Yoshi's aerials kill outside of waiting 3 seconds for the kill move from Bair to come out lol
But if we're both at 100% and trade Diddy Uair for Yoshi Nair, take a guess which one is gonna die.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Your dreams and soul.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Sorry Flip, every ban has innocent casualties. :(

Xyro77

Before I drop the hammer on Diddy, I will be doing a few things.

#1. Time. Gonna give diddy at least 12 months to find a counter. Partly because I believe that there has got to be SOMETHING out there that we are missing. And partly because of #2 and #3.

#2. Mewtwo. Though I'm not counting on it, Mewtwo could be a counter. We won't know until he arrives.

#3. The patch that comes with Mewtwo. Greninja/sheik got nerfs after the two major patches. Its still possible for a diddy nerf with the Mewtwo patch.

Top Bottom