• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Moridin

Smash Rookie
Wow been a long time since I've been on here. Forgot my old user name and everything.

Moridin

Smash Rookie
Looking back in the old HOBO threads from 2008-2009 to see if I can find a posting from me.....not yet :/

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I remember that name but not your tag when you entered my HOBO events.

Do you play smash 4?

Xyro77

Oh ok i found it. He updated it and said SA is still out but Dallas might go.

It's raining here at the venue/pasadena so I suggest everybody leave home, if you haven't already, to get to the venue.

Xyro77

TGC.jpg

TGC 2 SmashBoards Tournament Page
http://smashboards.com/threads/apr-25-2015-the-official-tgc-event-2-houston-tx.394551/#post-18744580

Hey, guys! Xyro here. Houston/Texas largest tournament series (TGC) is having its 2nd event about 34 days from now. For this event, i am doing several major changes so PLEASE PLEASE read this post. It is VERY important, dont skip over it.

I have opened online registration for TGC 2 so please click here to register/pay for 1vs1 smash wiiu (be sure to include your gamer tag when you register) https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=PJ92WLG8SCW5S you also need to pay the venue fee and that can be found here http://airbrushking.net/tournaments/tgc2

So with your venue fee and 1vs1 fee paid for, you are 110% entered into TGC 2 and i will post your pool/bracket a few days before the event so that you can see who you face and be able to prepare for it if need be. If you do not pay online, you can still pay offline but you will not be seeded and you will be thrown into pools/bracket at random. This means you may play your best friend round 1.

The purpose of me doing online registration this time is to get you guys seeded into pools/brackets ahead of time so that you can walk into the venue, check-in and start playing matches much soon than before. This also means we can leave the venue earlier than before too.

One final thing, the rules for TGC 2 have gone through a MAJOR change. Wireless controller rules, stage rules and much more have changed. PLEASE read the rules asap because these changes have to do with every person entering TGC 2.

If you have any questions, please post in the TGC 2 thread on smashboards and/or in the TGC 2 Facebook group.

FacookeB Event Page
https://www.facebook.com/events/623049984505771/

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So, after seeing a clip of Snakeee vs ADHD from this weekend, it's safe to say I will probably never support custom moves.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
you don't love trip sapling at the ledge and regrabbing with exploding balloons?

Maybe you should just ADAPT
Nah, I guess I prefer good games.

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
@ Fliphopper Fliphopper You and RT left before I gave out doubles payout. I got your guys' 4th place $. I can give it to you guys this Tuesday. I'll most likely be at that weekly.

Or this Thursday. The dude in Cypress is doing that customs tourney there.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So...you're saying you owe me money?

Just as planned.

But yeah, I think I might stop by the weekly thing on Tuesday. I know I've been saying I'd visit and say hi, so now I have an incentive.

Last edited:

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
So...you're saying you owe me money?

Just as planned.

Bu yeah, I think I might stop by the weekly thing on Tuesday. I know I've been saying I'd visit and say hi, so now I have an incentive.
RT CONFIRMED HYPE

Lol. Yeah you and Flip. A solid $22 each. Good work in doubles. I'm making the results page now

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
I've only been playing at weekly/monthly tournaments but apparently a LAN adapter makes online play good. What's the best LAN adapter to get and where can I buy it?

SamBlueBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamBlueBoxx

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
There's stil inherent input delay on wifi just so you know. It's better than brawl wifi but don't expect to power shield everything lol

Sweet RT we in the money line again.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There's stil inherent input delay on wifi just so you know. It's better than brawl wifi but don't expect to power shield everything lol

Sweet RT we in the money line again.
Team Asia slowly getting better. Slow Start is still active. :(

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Custom moves generally give a character the means to spec deeper into certain options or playstyles. Increases recovery at the cost or OoS/Aerial finishers. Weaker projectiles with a higher probability of hitting. Shorter range attacks that are more effective within their range. And some attacks that just function completely differently.

Villager and Custom Villager both naturally gravitate towards being a bit lame. Most people are not remotely entertained watching BC, Krebs, Pwiing etc. play Villager and I don't see how you can blame custom moves for that.

As stupidly defensive and safe as you can play on stage in this game, I'm a bit skeptical of people crying about ledge camping. You can just trade with him and kill him with power characters and almost every fast character outcamps villager AND beats him close range.

I haven't seen the videos (links please?), but I heard he eventually lost, and then switched to Diddy Kong. Sounds like he was just embarrassing players beneath his level anyway.

Xyro77

There is a huge deal on FB right now.

SKTAR and the TOs deliberately kept certain matches off stream because of how jank customs are. Random or low skill plAyers beating higher skilled players simply because of customs.

Literally a brawl MK situation all over again,

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
I reserve my judgement on customs until I actually get bodied by one. Until then, all I really know about them is based on what others have said, which may be enough for some. Maybe I'll go to that custom weekly thing in SA after SAM 3.

It seems like the way to beat exploding balloons is not to be afraid of trading with them. Although if your character is not good offstage, I feel your pain...

That said, vanilla is perfectly fine and there's still a whole lot of room to develop even in that metagame.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
There is a huge deal on FB right now.

SKTAR and the TOs deliberately kept certain matches off stream because of how jank customs are. Random or low skill plAyers beating higher skilled players simply because of customs.

Literally a brawl MK situation all over again,
ADHD is a random low skill player?

This is pretty much the same as what Trela does at locals. Doctor Mario and Mii Swordsman are not optimal but Trela is better than us and can do whatever the hell he wants.

Hell this is basically what BC does anyway. He camps waaaaaaay harder than he has to and it annoys people that he was already beating.

Exploding Balloon trip trades recovery (which villager had PLENTY of, I know) for an annoying hitbox. The balloons do notable damage, but trivial knockback and the reduction in his recovery means he doesn't automatically live when he gets stagespiked. He can actually get gimped and exploited offstage like a normal recovery.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Tesh, the planking balloons actually pose a problem. I didn't even know he could do it. It's literally worse than what I thought. Knife we can play customs sometime :)

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I'm not surprised you didn't know.

Now imagine you fought a high level player like yourself who was using that move and you had little to no understanding of it before the match. You'd probably be at a massive deficit before you learned what to do and what not to do. And we all know that in a game like this, it can easily be too late by that time. Especially in two stock.

How can you say you had no idea something existed, but now you suddenly know its broken?

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lmao tesh, I thought his setup was broken before I knew about the planking up b. Now that I know and have seen it, it's even more dumb.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
You should also know he has a bigger projectile that hits multiple times and can trap larger characters in shield. Its also harder to destroy.

He also has a pocket that can hit you and put a flower on your head.

So far you know about probably one of the campiest characters getting a couple of extra campy tricks. But have you learned about the added options for approaching and punishment?

Villager is relevant at best, but he won't be dominant because its alot of time to waste to be hated AND lose.

This is why starcraft players don't camp for 4 hours every match. Its possible and it has happened in tournaments, but its not optimal and everyone hates you.

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
Y'know guys. I have been meaning to "level up" with customs. I've locked in going to Evo since last year. I'm probably gonna do a customs invitational at my place.

Edit: because I feel like I play the better characters in customs. Say what you want about Villager, but damn did it feel good to 3 stock a diddy in San Antonio.

Last edited:
Top Bottom