• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
@ UltimateRazer UltimateRazer I'm going. I'm gonna stay with the same friend of mine, except for the weekend. I'll treat it like a SA weekend vacation, going to the Sunday weekly the day after. So is Denti, I believe. I told him about how they do it and he said he was down since it would make the trip more worth it.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I'm just pointing out that even one of the most valid, popular and challenging of esports has the possibility for a bit of drudgery and entrenched defensiveness.

Just watched ADHD vs Nairo. Nairo repeatedly rushed at the tree and took a BUNCH of damage and still brought it back by punishing ADHD (strategy isnt even airtight with a lead). Then he thought he could style on him more and he got bodied (by default villager stuff like bowling ball). Nairo definitely displayed that he could deal with it, but he may have been a bit impatient.

Snakeee had a completely expendable character to throw at villager and make trades and he still flung himself over there to get killed. All he had to do was throw the luma PAST adhd and shoot him in the back. All the mixups would easily be in his favor because only the luma would be at risk.

Tweek did smart stuff, lost his nerve game 1 I'd say, but game 2 he let ADHD camp his deficit and lose. Then ADHD went Diddy and that should illustrate to you how broken this villager strategy is. Villager can camp you and has mixups that do 6-12 damage and push you too far away for follow ups. Diddy can camp you and has mixups that kill you at 70%.

What can I say about DaPuffster? You can lose in 6 minutes or you can lose in 1 minute.

Jtails completely invalidated the ledge campings with 1 move.

ADHD just wanted to camp, and he was willing to camp a deficit and see if his opponent would get bored/overconfident. Its EXTREMELY easy to force a match to go to time if you aren't even trying to win. The commentators were pretty bad, but they always are. Smash commentators only want to make funny memes and one liners to rival wombo combo instead of being informative and engaging for the audience. Some of them were literally making things up on the spot. Saying that villager was invincible because he blew himself up (not remotely true).

Honestly, its kind of refreshing to see a couple of moves that punish super dash grab bros (trip sapling) and super roll dodge bros (kong cyclone). Even thought ADHD might have just been trolling (I think he could won the matches he lost with some well timed aggression). Extreme Balloon Trip loses to simply shielding on the ledge. The moment he grabs the ledge, you just OoS upsmash, up B or shield drop down tilt (or Dair). He has no mixups that beat shield. If there was a custom pocket that was a command grab, I'd say this might be overly strong, but there is a universal option that makes this fairly easy to beat.

This might be a broken toolkit, but what you folks saw wasn't broken. The strongest part of this might be sitting on top of the sapling and shielding (as you can't be grabbed), but even then, villager has one of the worst shield grabs in the game and almost everything is safe to poke at him with.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
It's not broken like Tesh says, but when higher level players are using it, and have the capability to mix it up when need be it'll be more dangerous.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Tesh you just compared Smash 4 to Starcraft. I can't even.

Anyways, who all is going to SAM 3 in the first week of April??
Nike called me out for a big MM so I have to go to SAM 3 now. Marth vs Samus. It will probably be very hard.

I can take people if they pay up gas money.

Edit:

PSA: I will NEVER support/host custom move events. Get good at REAL smash or quit.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nike called me out for a big MM so I have to go to SAM 3 now. Marth vs Samus. It will probably be very hard.

I can take people if they pay up gas money.

Edit:

PSA: I will NEVER support/host custom move events. Get good at REAL smash or quit.
If you go, would you go and leave same day or stay the night?

Although I just realized this is on Good Friday weekend, so I should have Friday off. Fascinating...

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
EDIT. Wait its on 04/04 right? Just realized I'm DJing the Rockets Dog Walk that day if weather permits. I'm a maybe unless weather conditions look fair.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
If you go, would you go and leave same day or stay the night?

Although I just realized this is on Good Friday weekend, so I should have Friday off. Fascinating...
Id prefer to come back that night but since im off on sunday (easter) i could stay.

EDIT. Wait its on 04/04 right? Just realized I'm DJing the Rockets Dog Walk that day if weather permits. I'm a maybe unless weather conditions look fair.
walking dogs need music?

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'll go if Flip goes, but if he doesn't go, then I will bail.

Unless Mewtwo is out by then and is not garbage...

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
:(

But yeah, Mewtwo should be out soon. Would be funny if he came out right before this or any prominent tourney. Just find that broken tech for a character a few days old.

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Tesh, the planking balloons actually pose a problem. I didn't even know he could do it. It's literally worse than what I thought. Knife we can play customs sometime :)
I'm down.

As for SAM3, I'm gonna start a carpool for it. My plan is to leave Saturday morning, attend SAM 3 of course, stay over Saturday night, attend the Ultra Arcade customs tourney Sunday night, and head back to Houston afterwards (probably will get back around 2am on Monday morning). We will stay in a Hampton Inn that is 5 miles away from the venue (I'm paying $30 for the night through employee discounts :)).

Everyone in my carpool will need to fork over $20 for both gas and the hotel. I have 3 spots right now if anyone's down.

P.S. If anyone in another carpool wants housing in a hotel Sat night, let me know. The hotel I booked at is sold out, but I'm seeing a Homewood suite 10 miles away that's $40.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I MM you one Rathalos Ruby. I have like 13 anyways.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Rename it Hobo 12: The Series.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Avoid I see you lurking!! Team with me again(:
Lmao, I'll definitely try and make a trip up. Have to convince the fiancee first, but I'd be down though. Is SAM worth making the trip out for? Haven't really traveled to out-of-city events for smash.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Lmao, I'll definitely try and make a trip up. Have to convince the fiancee first, but I'd be down though. Is SAM worth making the trip out for? Haven't really traveled to out-of-city events for smash.
Very much so. Great talent shall be there. Pretty sure Dallas is going as well, and a lot of Houston players as well.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
SAM is definitely worth it if you have time. San Antonio is always a nice place to visit. Of the few times I have traveled to San Antonio (Brawl and Smash 4), I have yet to feel disappointed.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nah, do it for a bag of Gushers which is $2.50.

Last edited:

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
Hey all! First post on the Houston thread.

Can't use him ever, even in friendlies, or just in bracket?
EVER, NO FRIENDLIES. haha nah bro, it was a joke, i wouldn't want to do that to him or Vise-Versa him to me. Because who else would i have these intense Diddy Dittos with?

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Trela my matches against you at Game Guys weren't recorded. I wanted to see the setups I did. It was nasty lol.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm kind of sad our dubs matches never got recorded or on livestream.

We were dumped on TV 2 the entire tourney.

Such is life as a nobody. :(

Top Bottom