• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Homing attack as edgeguard.

leonin

Smash Cadet
I can see that many sonic players dont use it,even though it is very good for edgeguard...
Its true that sometimes its very risky,but i think this is the best option for EG so far for sonic.

So do u sonic players think i'm wrong for using it as EG??

Please help!

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Yes, you are using it wrong. To edgeguard it's way better to either drop a spring for lulz or D-air them to send them away nearly horizontal. HA totally fails at edgeguarding O_o.
I'll just D-air edgeguard.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Do ignore my Metaknight maining friend.

Welcome to the fourms, however this doesn't require a thread :/

HA is a situational way of edge guard. I like it :/

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if the the other guy knows what sonic does, they can easily let themselves fall so that the HA misses, and than double jump back air you.

messing this up against characters like ROB or MK can get you killed at as low as 40 damage.

its definitely not his best option, but when it works, it is sweet.

Trillion

Smash Ace
lmfao CiTH i can't resist reading every post that you and Boxob make lately. I'm so curious about how each of you is going to work spinshot into each post, that I have to read it and find out.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Homing attack is a useful edgeguard if your opponent doesn't doublejump+attack, or fast fall (+ optional B-air), or airdodge to set you up for a grab gimp/spike/counter-edgeguard..

-------------------

Hey cat, did you know if you do a down-B spinshot (aka, aerial down-B spinshot) and C-stick backwards, you'll be facing backwards out of spinshot?

I think there might have been some other variant to do it out of side-B but I forgot the input.

lol10dairsfacingthestage.

¦D

Trillion

Smash Ace
omg!!! Tenki!! you need to post stuff like that more often!! Spin shot > Dair stage spike ftw!!!

I haven't done that before, but I'm betting on the Forward B Spin dash version that you probably push back and down on the c-stick.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol my bad.

i messed around with alot of stuff and didn't think about the usefulness of some things i thought were trivial.

¦D

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Wut? I'm like 99% sure that reverse doesnt make you face backwards.

Actually, I'm dead sure. I use reverse c-stick all the time.

:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero
okay.

i'll concede.

I'll test it later lol.

I'm pretty sure Sonic spins backwards or something when you do a reverse C-stick, but I can't test atm.

¦D
-----------------
5 seconds later
oh wait, nvm.

thinking about it, the reverse spin was just the 'backflip' animation for Sonic.

lol too bad.

RAR spinshot woulda been cool.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Nah, but a spinshot that moves you forward while facing backwards would be cool :[

infomon

Smash Scientist
Any double-jump > ASC (shield-cancelled or not) and your 2nd jump is gone. IF you spindash from the ground. Jumping, moving off the stage/platform, or getting hit will restore the spindash jump data, though.

Homing Attack is awesome when they hang on the ledge too wrong. Easy stagespike. If you're good you can prolly turnaround-B it so that if they have time to get into invincy frames (ledgehop, ledgeroll, w/e), you'll safely fall away from them. It's just a matter of who's predicting who, I guess.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I like to use it from just falling off the edge of the stage. Like someone would for a nair or fair with characters, only using the Homing Attack.

It's situational, but handy when done right. I've gimped someone with a backthrow, followed by the homing attack, and then a falling nair. It's really funny. Again, situational.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Jesus, RAR spinshot would be so sweet. Lolz spinshot into bairs would be too good.

I use homing attack for edgeguard all the time. Its all about positioning and timing. I basically try to position myself below my opponent, and time the homing attack so that it hits immediately after when I would expect them to use their second jump. This also works well, because if your opponent waits to second jump, then it often sets up for an easy spring gimp. You need to know your opponents recovery patterns.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
InB4Roy.

Also HA is situational at best, I usually just use an aerial over HA unless I'm fighting somebody with a predictabl;e recovery like D3 or Kirby or some other junk.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i use HA, for timing mixups on stage, for the wifi combo (SDR- HA is a true combo), and i use HA for gimping characters with really good recoveries. like D3, ROB, Snake, and other multijumpers. too risking against MK...

and i use it sparingly to recover

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think Tenki finally failed XD
lolol
<3

HA is very very situational as an edgeguard...but...it sometimes works after a Fair offstage.

It's funny though cuz I just did it to a ROB the other day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8lQcHiG6SA&fmt=18
Last stock.

lulz.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it requires a lot of prediction.

@ cam.

i was seriously thinking of this vid every single time i come into this thread.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
HA isn't really useful against C. Falcon, Snake, Pit, ZSS and probably some others since it targets them in a really weird(er) way.

Using HA correctly when the enemy has a predictable recovery path pretty much guarantees a KO (Ike, Link, Tum Link, etc), though.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
R.O.B was hopeless against that fair WOP and then a HA. he was so intent on trying to get back to the stage, he took a HA to the face. So, HA is only good on certain characters?
Works great against :ness2:. HA walls destroyed me last tournament. Sonic can just keep using them and Spring to safety while PKT2 falls short of the ledge. More effective at higher percents, of course, because of the higher knockback, but not expecting them can lead to early KOs... Then again, it's not like Sonic doesn't trump Ness offstage anyway.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
R.O.B was hopeless against that fair WOP and then a HA.
I wouldn't say hopeless, but yeah. I find it works well on ROB just because of his giant hitbox, lol...buuuuut

it requires a lot of prediction.
he was so intent on trying to get back to the stage, he took a HA to the face. So, HA is only good on certain characters?
YEZ YEZ YEZ

I noticed how ROB didn't try pulling out a Nair or something and just tried to come toward the stage, so I took advantage of that with the HA...totally impulsive, LOL

@ cam.

i was seriously thinking of this vid every single time i come into this thread.
lol, thanks XD

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol fun time against link.

wati for him to up b for the ledge and HA wall spike him as hes rising...

epic lulz ensue.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Just don't use Homing Attack ever for edgeguarding.

In fact, don't use it for anything, there's ALWAYS a better option.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
like stated countless times, it is extremely situational. It is NOT to be used often, but only like 1/10th of the time. I get lucky sometimes, and pull of some cool things like Cam did at the end of his vid against R.O.B. which was pure Steak.

One time, i did HA off stage to edgeguard someone (sorry ROOOOY!) and they airdodged. Now, i didnt lock on to him, but Sonic went diagonally down as usual, and he STILL got hit, and KO'ed.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I prefer just tilting up from a Spin Dash or Spin Charge, personally. :\ It's not as low or as fast as a Spinshot, but you don't waste your second jump.

Tenki

Smash Hero
You're all aware that spinshot goes double jump height, right?

If you do it from the ground, it goes as high as a normal full hop lol.

I remember when it was a common notion here that it went at around SH height, but after some testing, it was really just an illusion because the angle is alot lower due to the speed Sonic moves during spinshot.

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
Gah! Homing attack was made to do this. Believe me it's painful on us Ganondorfs. It's better used when both of you are off the stage as it helps you recover and knocks your opponent further away.

Top Bottom