• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Homebrew for Wii 4.0ers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Dantarion of AiB said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89rR7UDBYnU

Ever wanted to run the no tripping hack?
How about replays over 3min?
How about name tags in replays?
How about -GASP- Brawl+?

Then you do all that **** with Twlight Princess, install homebrew channel, and use geckoos.

Now, you go to your friends house, who is all "I don't want to mod my wii".

Well, you stick Gecko OS on your sd, stick it in their wii, and BAM, youre running Gecko OS.

In the video I use the HBC installer, but this will work with any homebrew executable. It is actually running on a wii with no dvd drive in the video XD.

Discuss.
No, its not released.
No, I am not gonna leak it.
No, I didn't make it.
Comex made it.
Don't bother him.
Hes gonna release it when he feels like it.

Also, try not to rage about Brawl+/Brawl/Melee in this blog.
Homebrew for 4.0ers(or anyone who doesn't want to mod their Wii) is coming!

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
This is great news. I know plenty of my friends want to try Brawl+ but are not 100% behind the idea of a modded Wii. Running it right off your SD card will be what they are looking for.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
so...basically, the twilight hack is officially useless now, even on non-upgraded Wiis
The Twilight Hack still works with System Menus 3.4 and below. You just can't use it with 4.0.

Anyway, I hope this gets released soon since I'm a victim of losing my HBC after upgrading to 4.0.

Still, upgrading to 4.0 does give you the SD Card Menu, which is real handy when you want to free up space on your Wii System Memory.

Foresight

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to run the official nintendo channels without upgrading to 4.0? I recenetly downgraded to 3.2, but don't know how to use the shop channel, etc., without upgrading. I can still play all my games because I installed a mod chip with an update override, but I don't know how to trick the channels into thinking that I've updated.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Is it possible to run the official nintendo channels without upgrading to 4.0? I recenetly downgraded to 3.2, but don't know how to use the shop channel, etc., without upgrading. I can still play all my games because I installed a mod chip with an update override, but I don't know how to trick the channels into thinking that I've updated.
I think you need to install a certain IOS.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah. You can find and install the latest Wii shop channel through various means which won't be discussed here. Just hit up ol' google. ;)

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
o hey its a mod
o hey the mod didnt lock the thread...

sooo...does that mean discussing how to get hbc isnt illegal anymore?
We're not allowed to talk about how to make the direct modification to your system on this board (ie. how to install the homebrew channel). Talking about brawl+ or such for after you have already made such a modification is perfectly fine (ie. how to use geckoOS). This new method does not even require a modification to the system, so while we will have to wait to hear from JV, I think this new method might actually be ok to tell users on the forum how to get.

Not that homebrew was illegal to begin with, though.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Not that homebrew was illegal to begin with, though.
Homebrew, no, but the same stuff used to run homebrew can also be used to run pirated games. I'll send JV a PM asking him to take a look over, but as long as this stays away from explaining how to install/get it, it can stay open for now.

Sukai

Smash Champion
This is great!
As soon as this is released, I can have a great time setting up a Brawl+ Tourney, even more so now that Wiis don't need to be softmodded.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least one thing is for certain for me. Once that method is released, welcome back HBC, and I'm back to making custom textures again.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
This will be great news for those who feel uncomfortable with modding their Wiis.

Not only that, but I see Brawl+ becoming much more accessible to those not really in the know. Awesome stuff.

comboking

Smash Master
So now we don't even have to have the homebrew channel on the wii? Just our SD card if we have 4.0U?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Wait do you have to patch the Wii Shop Channel if you don't have 4.0??
No, but you can use WiiSCU to update everything on your Wii to 4.0 but the menu without loosing any homebrew compatibility. Basically, It downloads the updates, patches the homebrew-stopping-fix's out of them, and installs them. It allows you to access the Wii Shop without officially updating your Wii to 4.0

Yup. Although, it's recommended that you do install the HBC for if you have more than just Gecko OS as your Homebrew program.
Yeah, if you are only gonna use GeckoOS, you could just use this method, but if you are gonna use an assortment of apps, you probably need to install the homebrew channel.

shumaru

Smash Rookie
well i have a wii 4.0U , and i wanna play brawl with texture , if some one has the hack plz pm me
thnx
Shumaru

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have bad news.

Sadly, the current HBC installer does not work if you've updated to System Menu 4.0 through Nintendo. If you've updated to 4.0 through Nintendo, you'll have to wait until a new version of the HBC installer is created.

Foresight

Smash Rookie
So what is the point then? If you didn't update through Nintendo, wouldn't you already have HBC installed on your Wii, or am I misunderstanding what is going on here? It looks like he just installed it from the SD card, but it says it doesn't work if you updated through Nintendo, which seems to be everyone's problem, so what does this accomplish?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So what is the point then? If you didn't update through Nintendo, wouldn't you already have HBC installed on your Wii, or am I misunderstanding what is going on here? It looks like he just installed it from the SD card, but it says it doesn't work if you updated through Nintendo, which seems to be everyone's problem, so what does this accomplish?
Basically, the current HBC installer will always fail if you've updated to System Menu 4.0 through Nintendo. If the System Menu was updated through Homebrew, then the current HBC installer will still work.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
You could run Brawl+ with this exploit as is by running GeckoOS with the exploit instead of running the HBC installer.

All that is left is for the people who made HBC, Team Twiisers, to find a way to fix the installer.
Well, I guess technically anyone can do so.
I have an idea of how to do it, but I don't know if it will actually work.

Basically, the 4.0 update removes the fakesign bug from the IOS that the HBC browser uses to install.
The only way to get that back is to replace that IOS with the original IOS that contains the bug.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just want to give people some notes about how this exploit will work.

Apparently this exploit will be a channel, which is why the videos have been showing the exploit executing on the channels menu. You'll likely store the channel on your SD card in the directory setup below.

Directory Setup: (SD drive)\private\wii\title\(Channel ID)\data.bin

When this channel is executed, it'll read the file called boot.dol from the root of your SD card, and execute it. It can load any boot.dol file, so you can execute any Homebrew program with ease.

However, like I said earlier, if you've updated to System Menu 4.0 through Nintendo, the current HBC installer (version 1.0.1) will NOT work. Until a new version of the HBC installer is created for System Menu 4.0, you will not be able to install the HBC onto your Wii.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
So if you have 4.0 it isnt possible to use this at all?
I don't want to install it on my Wii, i just want to run this.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So if you have 4.0 it isnt possible to use this at all?
I don't want to install it on my Wii, i just want to run this.
This exploit DOES work with System Menu 4.0, but the current version of the HBC installer will always fail to work. If you're using programs like Gecko OS however, you should be okay.

comboking

Smash Master
same here man

Just want to give people some notes about how this exploit will work.

Apparently this exploit will be a channel, which is why the videos have been showing the exploit executing on the channels menu. You'll likely store the channel on your SD card in the directory setup below.

Directory Setup: (SD drive)\private\wii\title\(Channel ID)\data.bin

When this channel is executed, it'll read the file called boot.dol from the root of your SD card, and execute it. It can load any boot.dol file, so you can execute any Homebrew program with ease.

However, like I said earlier, if you've updated to System Menu 4.0 through Nintendo, the current HBC installer (version 1.0.1) will NOT work. Until a new version of the HBC installer is created for System Menu 4.0, you will not be able to install the HBC onto your Wii.
So we can save it to our SD card? And if we updated to 4.0 will we be able to do this exploit?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't want to sound negative right now, but I'm getting words that there's a change of plans on the new exploit.

Apparently, sources are claiming that the creator of the BaNNeRBoMB exploit, Comex, is working on another exploit, and has stopped working on BaNNeRBoMB. I don't know what's going on here, but it sounds like the BaNNeRBoMB exploit might not be released to the public at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom