• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hip Hop: The Poetic Side

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
everyone should know who skyzoo is if your already into hiphop like that. Same with term and big tone.
I just really got into it in like December. Since then I've been addicted lol.

I mean I've learned about hella people, but not all of the underground ones. Skyzoo is raw as ffff. And Basic Vocab dropped an album a couple of weeks ago, just got it today. It's amazing, some fresh air you know.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I like the sound of this Skyzoo.

Could somebody link me to some of his stuff?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Skyzoo is that dude.

I like the sound of this Skyzoo.

Could somebody link me to some of his stuff?
My Interpretation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKA33JsAtO4

Bells and Whistles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlS1YvTgS6o

No Pretending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciKXjlObEW8

Extreme Measures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-y1xaSPJDw

Dear Whoever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JloF4ydTo4A

Alphabet Soup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDxjwuHtrw0

Stop Fooling Yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEr621spvSU

If you're looking for projects to check, check The Salvation his album last year, and Cloud 9: The Three Day High

Drayden

Smash Rookie
Hmph No Black Thought...So What Would You Classify KiD CuDi As Hip Hop Or ****ty Hip Hop/Pop

You Should Really Have Blu On That List Aswell

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Hmph No Black Thought...So What Would You Classify KiD CuDi As Hip Hop Or ****ty Hip Hop/Pop

You Should Really Have Blu On That List Aswell
He's interesting. He has some interesting and philosophical songs.
I think he's cool. Not really poppy. Nobody raps like him, but hes not THAT good.

TeSik

Smash Cadet
Artifacts
Big Daddy Kane
Das EFX
Lords of the Underground
Biz Markie
CL Smooth
Del The Funky Homosapien
Brother Ali
Cypress Hill
Bushwick Bill
De La Soul
Delinquent Habits
Funkdoobiest
Necro
Jeru the Damaja
Kool G Rap
Naughty by Nature
Smiff 'n Wessun
Pharcyde
Ultramagnetic MCs
Tim Dog
Brand Nubian
Stetsasonic
Digital Underground

Love them all!

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Team Teamwork introduced me to some hiphop.
I think that Lord Willin is the last real classic album. The Clipse is pretty legit.
Nujabes too
Substantial etc etc

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
If you're going to come in here and derail the thread, you can feel free to leave.

You took both of these way out of context. Neither of them were referring to you, and quite frankly, SSBF's post was ridiculously ignorant. Go make a topic on whatever music you like and say why it's better than rap there, we are trying to actually discuss rap.
a) Neither was taken out of context.
b) The second one was referring to me as it was talking about "haters", and it is irrelevant if the post was talking about me or not. I wasn't talking about or to you yet you still replied, no?
c) Yes it was ignorant.

Any more arguments to justify yourselves?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
b) The second one was referring to me as it was talking about "haters", and it is irrelevant if the post was talking about me or not. I wasn't talking about or to you yet you still replied, no?
c) Yes it was ignorant.

Again, you're only in here to stir things up. We're trying to have a discussion regarding rap and hip-hop music. If you're not going to discuss these topics, then there's no reason for you to be here. You can leave.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Artifacts
Big Daddy Kane
Das EFX
Lords of the Underground
Biz Markie
CL Smooth
Del The Funky Homosapien
Brother Ali
Cypress Hill
Bushwick Bill
De La Soul
Delinquent Habits
Funkdoobiest
Necro
Jeru the Damaja
Kool G Rap
Naughty by Nature
Smiff 'n Wessun
Pharcyde
Ultramagnetic MCs
Tim Dog
Brand Nubian
Stetsasonic
Digital Underground

Love them all!
That's cool, a bunch of those should be on there.

Where's Big L on that list? And the upcoming artist J. Cole is true as well.
Haven't updated in a few days. Busy as ****.

Team Teamwork makes me happy.
Who?

Team Teamwork introduced me to some hiphop.
I think that Lord Willin is the last real classic album. The Clipse is pretty legit.
Nujabes too
Substantial etc etc
Substantial is great. Lord Willin is chill. I like Clipse.

i said to put both them on pages ago...im happy some one agree's -_-
Sorry, I was going to get everyone's artists in, but I've been busy. Tomorrow, okay?

c) Yes it was ignorant.

Again, you're only in here to stir things up. We're trying to have a discussion regarding rap and hip-hop music. If you're not going to discuss these topics, then there's no reason for you to be here. You can leave.
DON'T GET MAD, GET GLAD.

Seriously, let him talk about what he wants! At least he's not going in here just saying "hip hop sux kthnxbai". He's actually talking.

You can express your opinion. It's cool. Just don't cause drama, drama is annoying.

And Vrael, It's cool. He's stating his opinion. Just be chill.

STOP THE VIOLENCE

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I'm going to be putting out an album later this year. Who of you guys would actually buy it? I'll give some details about it if you're interested.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Thanks for supporting me Cookie, but I am sort of derailing the thread. But this is because the points I make in my posts are legitimate. I came onto this thread expecting to see a side of Hip Hop that I have never seen before and actually like, I didn't, and I posted that. Then came the replies from other members, if anything they de-railed the thread, not me.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Thanks for supporting me Cookie, but I am sort of derailing the thread. But this is because the points I make in my posts are legitimate. I came onto this thread expecting to see a side of Hip Hop that I have never seen before and actually like, I didn't, and I posted that. Then came the replies from other members, if anything they de-railed the thread, not me.
Whatever, you have your opinion and I'm cool with that. It's not like you're saying all hip-hop is terrible and everyone who listens to it should die in a hole.

And I'm sick of the hate in the world arg.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Sounds cool. Got any singles or anything to share with us?
Well, nothing yet. I have a temporary track list, a lot of the songs I'm gonna just scrap and use more interesting ideas.

Track List: (for now)

Album (Untitled at the moment...)
Track 1: Intro, or something similar to "My Name Is" by eminem.
Track 2: Song about taking it back to the 90's hip hop. relaxed beat and relaxed flow
Track 3: **** Part 1: Her Side of the story (her thoughts, etc)
Track 4: **** Part 2: His Side of the story (why he did it, etc)
Track 5: Song about politics( anti bush song, like Mosh by Eminem)
Track 6: song about war in iraq
Track 7: song giving props to rappers who keep it real
Track 8: song talking about how underground rappers can be unsigned and get more money than if they werent signed
Track 9: just a normal rap song. fast flow. quicker beat. cool metaphors, rhymes, etc. like " When I B On Tha Mic" by Rakim.
Track 10: song about Oakland. gonnna like walk around with some people to get some ideas for this. kinda like NY State of Mind by nas.
Track 11: song about 3rd world countries, gonna read up and this is gonna be a really powerful song, ya know.
Track 12: Man's Best Friend (song about my dog, this is gonna be a real song, emotional you know.
Track 13: P.M. (Premature Man) (idk, this will just like explain my thoughts and stuff, like how i joke around a lot, but on the inside im too mature for my age. deep track)
Track 14: Represent (a track about oakland, and just representing from where youre from. like, "born in '96 in alta bates, in california the greatest of all states." stuff like that lol)
Track 15: What Happened? (going from like 1994-present, how hip hop was like flourishing and then all of a sudden went pop, aka bad)
Track 16: Breaking The Rules (about not going pop, doesnt even have a chorus. really breaking the rules you know. talking about controversy too)
Track 17: Keep It Real (take a guess, ahahaha)
Track 18: Laugh Now (Mourn Later) (kinda like ice cube's album, i think? laugh now, cry later.)
Track 19: Greed (talking about how people are greedy and just want money)
Track 20: Acapella (track produced only by sounds made by me. the rapping will be on point too.)
Track 21: Let's Continue This... (me rapping acapella, like an outro. "I could just continue to rhyme and rhyme, but lets just continue another time")

I plan on making a song about God, and a song titled "Top Five, Dead or Alive". I'm gonna be busy, I have to get a job to afford a Macbook Pro (so I can record it), and I have to write tons. My friend will produce about half of it, I'll produce the rest.

It'll go on iTunes. And it won't be the pop crap :D
At least 20 songs on it. The price will probably be $10, or something like that. The lyrics are gonna be dope, and some of these songs are gonna be really deep. I'm looking forward to making the "****" tracks, they're gonna be like 10 minutes each song. Well maybe a bit less.

And some of these songs are really gonna break the rules. On some of the songs that tell stories, I probably won't have any choruses. The **** songs are going to be like "Dance with the Devil" by Immortal Technique.

I can probably release it by the end of the year, I have to work 5 days a week, and then I could record/write/produce on weekends.
Yeah, I'm producing it, along with my friend. I have a lot on my plate, ahaha.

And then, I need to draw the artwork or get a friend to do it. I'll do that last.

§witch

Smash Lord
DON'T GET A MACBOOK

You can torrent better programs and just buy a really good mic to plug into your existing computer and save yourself a good $1000.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
DON'T GET A MACBOOK

You can torrent better programs and just buy a really good mic to plug into your existing computer and save yourself a good $1000.
Trust me, I have, but I need a new computer, mine is 3 years old O.O

And, the display and everything is really simple and elegant. Kinda what I need.

Also, they give a student discount :D gotta love Apple.

That sounds pretty cool. I might buy it depending on how it sounds, gotta support a fellow SWF'er.

Btw Dance with the Devil is a great song.
Thanks.

It should sound pretty good. Not the best fidelity, but the lyrics will be on point for sure, and the beats will be fairly laid back, except for, of course, the **** songs, and other serious songs.

Oh, and another song about me being sick that people don't listen to what I have to say cuz I'm young. Wiser than hella people out there.

I'm a great writer, and my vocabulary is decent (I should expand it, I probably will, but not to confuse anyone lol). I have straight A's in English so I guess that counts for something :p

On an independent label of course.. Online music distribution really helps artists.

And Dance with the Devil is amazing. I was writing down the lyrics in class today, and convinced a friend that I was writing it. He was like whoa. hahaha

Sleepz

Smash Rookie
Monster Has A G.O.O.D. List

CuDi Though Brings A Whole New Atmosphere To The Game

That's Why Must People Like Him....

Ideas Like What

Just Give Me A Topic Brah

Nova9000

Smash Lord
If you're going to post some of your songs, I can post some of the stuff I've recorded as well. And cookieMONster I can give you feedback on your songs as well; it helps coming from fellow artists.

BTW, I just got back in from seeing Little Brother in the club. Phenomenal is the only way I can explain the show...and Phonte is hilarious.

RisingKen

Smash Cadet
You can tell how Eminem pours his heart and soul into his music. I could list dozens of tracks where he does so.

He does make music, but nothing has soul in it.

No, he's not a Soulja Boy, but Jay-Z doesn't rap about anything close to him or what he feels. He doesn't keep it real.
...What?

Have you actually heard a Jay-Z album, or just his hits? As for the BP3, yes, it's not as personal, but he made statements in it. If you understand what he was doing with the three albums (1 = His past and rise, 2= His present and success, and 3=Creating a future for new artists, which he has) then you wouldn't be calling him a sellout. He's evolving, that's all.

His songs, though futuristic sounding, are nothing like what these other rappers are doing. How many people can make an Empire State of Mind? (Nas doesn't count, lol)

As for not respecting him because he's in it for the money, I have some news for you: They're all in it for the money. Hip-hop doesn't always have to be interpersonal, though he does share that sometimes.

Sorry for coming out of the blue like that, but I just didn't feel like it was fair that only your side of the argument got stated, lol.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I dumb down for my audience and double my dollars, they criticize me for it yet they all yell holla!

Noraa

Smash Lord
Jigga is the truth, people who dont think so are clearly faking till their hearts explode. Please listen to reasonable doubts lol

CAN I LIVEEE

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Monster Has A G.O.O.D. List

CuDi Though Brings A Whole New Atmosphere To The Game

That's Why Must People Like Him....

Ideas Like What

Just Give Me A Topic Brah
Well I have ideas, but I need an idea for the single. And I'll release it a ways away, I have to first get a macbook pro to record. And a job to pay for it. Kinda broke XD

If you're going to post some of your songs, I can post some of the stuff I've recorded as well. And cookieMONster I can give you feedback on your songs as well; it helps coming from fellow artists.

BTW, I just got back in from seeing Little Brother in the club. Phenomenal is the only way I can explain the show...and Phonte is hilarious.
Post your stuff! Mine won't be out for a month or two.

And I <3 Little Brother, but if I were to see a concert it would be for KRS-One or Eminem or NAs or someone. Or Talib Kweli :D

...What?

Have you actually heard a Jay-Z album, or just his hits? As for the BP3, yes, it's not as personal, but he made statements in it. If you understand what he was doing with the three albums (1 = His past and rise, 2= His present and success, and 3=Creating a future for new artists, which he has) then you wouldn't be calling him a sellout. He's evolving, that's all.

His songs, though futuristic sounding, are nothing like what these other rappers are doing. How many people can make an Empire State of Mind? (Nas doesn't count, lol)

As for not respecting him because he's in it for the money, I have some news for you: They're all in it for the money. Hip-hop doesn't always have to be interpersonal, though he does share that sometimes.

Sorry for coming out of the blue like that, but I just didn't feel like it was fair that only your side of the argument got stated, lol.
Reasonable Doubt was dope, not gonna lie. But I don't think he's as great as everyone else thinks he is.

Rakim can too.

No, a lot of them aren't. Plenty of underground artists are doing it for the love of the music.

Jigga is the truth, people who dont think so are clearly faking till their hearts explode. Please listen to reasonable doubts lol

CAN I LIVEEE
It was dope, but I don't think that he's THAT great.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Ok,..here are three I have so far...
And Talib comes in my town in June ;)

Run Dis Town.mp3
Run Dis Town (I went last)
Good Clothes 2.mp3
Good Clothes (I went first)
Too Long.mp3
Too Long (Old song I recorded; quality is poor compared to the other two)

Let me know what you guys think....
good clothes is cool. but talking about clothes lol?
got a lotta jeans too none of them skinny. XD nice haha

run this town is eh..... youre part is cool though. haha

i like too long, its a good beat but not too mainstream, cool.
eh but you sound kinda conceited you know

Nova9000

Smash Lord
good clothes is cool. but talking about clothes lol?
got a lotta jeans too none of them skinny. XD nice haha

run this town is eh..... youre part is cool though. haha

i like too long, its a good beat but not too mainstream, cool.
eh but you sound kinda conceited you know
Thanks man lol. The original beat came from Good Clothes so I stuck with it.

Run Dis Town was just us going in.

Too Long was just chill. It was my first song I recorded so I came off a bit cocky (isn't that a certain thing with most rappers lol).

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Thanks man lol. The original beat came from Good Clothes so I stuck with it.

Run Dis Town was just us going in.

Too Long was just chill. It was my first song I recorded so I came off a bit cocky (isn't that a certain thing with most rappers lol).
Yeah, I started like that too. Just fooling around, you know.

Suspect

Smash Hero
I find it very funny how you ask what happened to Hip Hop then link to where people can download some free albums instead of encouraging people to pay for one.

THAT'S one thing that happened to hip hop

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I find it very funny how you ask what happened to Hip Hop then link to where people can download some free albums instead of encouraging people to pay for one.

THAT'S one thing that happened to hip hop
QFT.

More like the main thing...that, and people buy ****ty albums.

Top Bottom