• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hip Hop: The Poetic Side

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Only if you're speaking in terms of overrated-ness.
Well, you're from Chicago. I guess you have to support Lupe.

Nah, Eminem is completely amazing. I have all of his albums, even Infinite, Eminem is Back, The Slim Shady EP, and Straight From The Lab. He is my favorite MC, and only tells the truth.

Lupe Fiasco is great, I personally like Day Dreamin', I'm Beamin, Kick Push, Little Weapon, I Gotcha, Paris,Tokyo, Superstar, etc. but he still can't compare to Eminem.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Well, you're from Chicago. I guess you have to support Lupe.

Nah, Eminem is completely amazing. I have all of his albums, even Infinite, Eminem is Back, The Slim Shady EP, and Straight From The Lab. He is my favorite MC, and only tells the truth.

Lupe Fiasco is great, I personally like Day Dreamin', I'm Beamin, Kick Push, Little Weapon, I Gotcha, Paris,Tokyo, Superstar, etc. but he still can't compare to Eminem.
I like Eminem, but his newer stuff has been pretty mediocre in my opinion (especially Relapse). Lupe delivers in every song.

My favorite Lupe songs are Turnt Up, Streets on Fire, Say Somethin, Conflict Diamonds, Real, Just Might Be OK, The Cool, Go Go Gadget Flow, Gold Watch, Fighters, Lu Myself, Sittin Sideways, Hello Goodbye, and some others.

You gotta check out his mixtapes when you have time, if you haven't then you're only getting a small slice of what he can really do.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Dude WTF???

No love for Andre 3000 or Wale? Man, even B.o.B. should be on this list. And for those who think Lil Wayne and Drake are the next big things.......

What are y'all smoking?

WaveLength

Smash Apprentice
I don't see any Boogie Down Productions or KRS-One on this list. :I

Also, Madlib.

WaveLength

Smash Apprentice

Also, Madlib.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Listened to some Lupe Fiasco and Blak Madeen. Very very very impressed. I also remembered De La Soul because they had collaborated with Gorillaz once or twice (speaking of which I also listened to some of that Gorillaz/Lupe mixtape, thanks for the suggestion Vrael) but I never listened to any of their own work, so I listened to them as well and they were pretty cool.

Thanks guys. I'll look into more of these artists when I get the chance for sure.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Bro. Start with the list OP gave you.

Personally, I recommend MF Doom, Danger Doom, and Substanial/Nujabes.
I think you'll like this, Neko. It's a torrent of 64 albums by MF Doom. Check it out.

I like Eminem, but his newer stuff has been pretty mediocre in my opinion (especially Relapse). Lupe delivers in every song.

My favorite Lupe songs are Turnt Up, Streets on Fire, Say Somethin, Conflict Diamonds, Real, Just Might Be OK, The Cool, Go Go Gadget Flow, Gold Watch, Fighters, Lu Myself, Sittin Sideways, Hello Goodbye, and some others.

You gotta check out his mixtapes when you have time, if you haven't then you're only getting a small slice of what he can really do.
The thing is, I really don't have the time. I'm studying all the Hip-Hop I can so I can produce my own album this summer. Just for fun, but I want to do a good job.

Dude WTF???

No love for Andre 3000 or Wale? Man, even B.o.B. should be on this list. And for those who think Lil Wayne and Drake are the next big things.......

What are y'all smoking?
I thought I had OutKast... Andre 3000 is amazing.

Haven't heard Wale.

Also, Madlib.
KRS-One should be on there... I remember putting him on.

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Wu Tang, Bone Thugs, Eminem, 2pac, Biggie, EAZY-E, and Pun r all legit. IMO hip hop is dead without these guys. Soulja Boy is wack and lil wayne a'ight. 2pac is my all time favorite. LONG LIVE MAKAVELI. :)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I like Eminem, but his newer stuff has been pretty mediocre in my opinion (especially Relapse).
This. I'm about the biggest Eminem fan ever, but you can tell that he has plateaued a little on the rap quality as of late. Shoot, my favorite two albums from him are Infinite & The Slim Shady LP. The next two you can tell the Interscope was starting to drain on him, Encore had it's moments, and Relapse was good to listen to, but nothing stuck IMHO.

Also, Madlib.
KRS-One, yes.

Madlib, yes.

On a similar note, how can you not have Jay-Dee on this list after listening to something like Reality TV?

OMG so win. :lick:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
This. I'm about the biggest Eminem fan ever, but you can tell that he has plateaued a little on the rap quality as of late. Shoot, my favorite two albums from him are Infinite & The Slim Shady LP. The next two you can tell the Interscope was starting to drain on him, Encore had it's moments, and Relapse was good to listen to, but nothing stuck IMHO.
Lol, his MMLP and TES are widely considered the best two albums in his catalog. Interscope did nothing but shape him into a better artist. His quality started dropping when Dre stopped holding his hand through albums and let him have complete freedom on the tracks he was going to put out on Dre's label.

Believe it or not, Dre had more control over SSLP's content and whatnot than MMLP, TES and Encore. Infinite, however, was all Em.

And I would've agreed with you about him plateauing if I hadn't heard Not Afraid this morning.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
you guys really have good taste in hip hop! let me show you a couple of other guys you might not have heard of.
Othello - http://www.myspace.com/othello
Braille - http://www.myspace.com/braillehiphop
Ohmega Watts - http://www.myspace.com/ohmegawatts
Lightheaded - http://www.myspace.com/lightheaded
Mr J Medeiros - www.myspace.com/mrjmedeiros
Pigeon John - www.myspace.com/pigeonjohn
Cecil Otter - www.myspace.com/iamcecilotte
Tonedeff - www.myspace.com/tonedeff
Grieves - www.myspace.com/grieves
Illogic - http://www.myspace.com/illogicone
Laws - www.myspace.com/lawshiphop
Louis Logic - www.myspace.com/louislogic
Spoonfull - http://www.myspace.com/spoonfullhiphop
Surreal - www.myspace.com/surrealsound

i'll keep it at that for now! haha you guys will like atleast one of these!

Nova9000

Smash Lord
so many more to add

Blu
J.cole
Dom Kennedy
Binary Star
One Be Lo
Al Be Back
P.O.S
Little Brother
Phonte
Median
Oddisee
The Roots
Kenn Star
Foriegn Exchange (another group with phonte in it)
Aesop Rock
Murs
How is Jigga Man not up there...Jay Z (up to blueprint 2, or mybe black album)
Eminem (up will his 3rd album, but even that cd wasnt all that great)
Big L

I gotta get back to paying attention to class....check them out and add
This list. Little Brother alone encompasses hip-hop (glad you have them up there):chuckle:
Also Chaundon, L.E.G.A.C.Y, and Skyzoo are definite sleepers.
Kids in the Hall?
Slum Village?
And no Scarface??
OutKast?
EPMD?
I will admit though, your list does have some key names there.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Ohmega Watts is that dude, i stopped getting his new stuff though

Peep Kam Moye (known as supastition before) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpTh_54seH4
Also Elzhi (soooo amazinggggg) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTLz5fkHsOs

Oh i was going to add them to the list, the whole justice league. but i dunno if they would have liked them.
If that was the case then they need to go listen to joe scudda and kaze and the away team...so many

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Em's new song is aight... better than anything he put out on Relapse, that's for sure. I love how he poked fun at it and the overuse of his accent. I'm happy we won't be hearing it on Recovery.

Also, Despicable freestyle is crazy.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
This list. Little Brother alone encompasses hip-hop (glad you have them up there):chuckle:
Also Chaundon, L.E.G.A.C.Y, and Skyzoo are definite sleepers.
Kids in the Hall?
Slum Village?
And no Scarface??
OutKast?
EPMD?
I will admit though, your list does have some key names there.
OutKast is on there...

Little Brother should be on mine too.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Eh, I'm a pretty big Eminem fan. It's not like I'm a Stan, but I'm a huge fan. I have all of his albums, every song except FACK, which I'll be getting pretty soon. I even have the Slim Shady EP, Infinite, and Eminem is Back.

I actually liked Relapse. Not his best. Encore was good too, I like about 5 or 6 songs on it.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Jesus christ how ****ing ignorant are you!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIskTtctvtg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjqTiQhOgU8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OobUV9q0aDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A96QXTw_M28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkvCkpv7kQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVyVIsvQoaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERQzl4xDpXk

There are a ridiculous amount of hip-hop songs that have little to no swears. This took me no more than 4 mins to gather up.

If I wanted to, I could gather up a list 7x as big as this with songs that have at most, 3-4 swears.

You coming in here with your ignorant statements acting as if you know **** about a genre you don't even listen to. The hip hop your brother probably listens to is that mainstream, above ground ****. Neither you nor probably him were born during the golden age of hip hop nor do you or probably him even actively look for the hip hop worth listening to.

You say you're trying not to troll, but that has to be bull**** with what you're saying.
Cool story bro.
Don't overreact or anything, it's cool.

EDIT: Lol, just realised that a hip-hop fan was swearing about hip-hop artists not swearing.

This is a good thread.

Guys, ignore the haters. They're obviously uneducated about what real rap music is, so why waste that time and effort debating with them? They judge our music off of idiots like Gucci Mane and Soulja Boy, and other similar mainstream icons that produce garbage.
Obviously. Because we don't like hip-hop or rap (Why do you guys keep grouping those together anyway?) we obviously ALL judge hip-hop and rap off of artists like Gucci Mane and Soulja Boy.

When did not liking something make you uneducated, a troll, ignorant, etc...

I actually WAS alive in the Golden Age of Hip-Hop, and I didn't like it then either. Except that people have different views to you guys and are allowed to voice them.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
If you're going to come in here and derail the thread, you can feel free to leave.

You took both of these way out of context. Neither of them were referring to you, and quite frankly, SSBF's post was ridiculously ignorant. Go make a topic on whatever music you like and say why it's better than rap there, we are trying to actually discuss rap.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You guys show no love for the most inventive, progressive hip-hop scene out there right now? No love for any of the L.A.ers? No Flyong Lotus? No DJ Nobdy? No Busdriver? No The Weather? No Daedelus? No Daddy Kev? No Gaslampkiller? No Ganja Surfi? Seriously? Come on!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Hip Hop is the culture, Rap is the music. They aren't two different kinds of music, lol. Don't treat them as such.

You guys show no love for the most inventive, progressive hip-hop scene out there right now? No love for any of the L.A.ers? No Flyong Lotus? No DJ Nobdy? No Busdriver? No The Weather? No Daedelus? No Daddy Kev? No Gaslampkiller? No Ganja Surfi? Seriously? Come on!
I can't show love for people I don't know, lol.

There are tons of artists I'd personally probably like...but have never heard of. So yeah.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I don't see how you could miss them though. Flying Lotus is on tour with Thom York and Radiohead, his songs get played all over Adult Swim, and he's kind of a big sensation right now.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'll definitely be on the lookout for them, I'm always trying to find ways to diversify my Zune, even within genres of music...

So thanks CRASHiC XD

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
just keep an eye out on Adult Swim, they're generally a couple steps ahead on the underground hip-hop scene than everyone else, myself included.

Noraa

Smash Lord
adult swim is usually behind on the underground hiphop scene, they just choose to pick lesser known people in the genre.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
No Joe Budden = No Discussion.

One yourself, Mushroom Kingdom.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Absolutely awesome. Not exactly what I was expecting, but it's still great nontheless.

Hope you guys realize Rap and Hip-hop aren't the same thing but everyone says they are.
See Below.

I think that since the people in this thread are fans of hip-hop and rap, we would know.

>_>
mmmmmmmmmmhm.

It's good. Not the best.

Cool story bro.
Don't overreact or anything, it's cool.

EDIT: Lol, just realised that a hip-hop fan was swearing about hip-hop artists not swearing.

Obviously. Because we don't like hip-hop or rap (Why do you guys keep grouping those together anyway?) we obviously ALL judge hip-hop and rap off of artists like Gucci Mane and Soulja Boy.

When did not liking something make you uneducated, a troll, ignorant, etc...

I actually WAS alive in the Golden Age of Hip-Hop, and I didn't like it then either. Except that people have different views to you guys and are allowed to voice them.
Eh. You have your view. I'm not gonna say you're stupid or anything. It's just your taste.
No hate in here. I mean Lil Wayne and all that other mainstream crap sucks, but I don't hate them.

If you're going to come in here and derail the thread, you can feel free to leave.

You took both of these way out of context. Neither of them were referring to you, and quite frankly, SSBF's post was ridiculously ignorant. Go make a topic on whatever music you like and say why it's better than rap there, we are trying to actually discuss rap.
He has his opinion.

I'll check them out...

Hip Hop is the culture, Rap is the music. They aren't two different kinds of music, lol. Don't treat them as such.

I can't show love for people I don't know, lol.

There are tons of artists I'd personally probably like...but have never heard of. So yeah.
Yeah.

"Hip means to know
It's a form of intelligence
To be hip is to be up-date and relevant
Hop is a form of movement
You can't just observe a hop
You got to hop up and do it
Hip and Hop is more than music
Hip is the knowledge
Hop is the movement
Hip and Hop is intelligent movement
" - KRS-One

Same, I wish I had a reliable source that had great and meaningful underground hip hop that had great lyrics, and didn't talk about how hard so-and-so goes.

I don't see how you could miss them though. Flying Lotus is on tour with Thom York and Radiohead, his songs get played all over Adult Swim, and he's kind of a big sensation right now.
I don't know a good place to find out about underground artists.

I haven't heard of any of those people tbqh.

Pretty much what Matador said.
Me neither.

No I haven't.

just keep an eye out on Adult Swim, they're generally a couple steps ahead on the underground hip-hop scene than everyone else, myself included.
I don't have TV. I just watch stuff on the computer.

adult swim is usually behind on the underground hiphop scene, they just choose to pick lesser known people in the genre.
That's nice.

Yet the lesser known artists they chose generally come to the forefront a few years later. Hmm.
No, the lesser known underground artists are people that NOBODY know about. I'd give you a few examples, but the only one I can think of right now is Blak Madeen... Eh.

Top Bottom