• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hip Hop: The Poetic Side

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Just in case y'all didn't know we also have an R&B. Hip-Hop, Rap discussion in the media metropolis.
Check the first post often? -.-

Gay-Z and Cockafella records wanna beef
so I'm cocking up my gun
slowly loading up my ammo

etc etc etc.

Listen to Ether by Nas.

Oh, and Jay-Z is a sellout. No love. Even though 99 Problems was cool. Everything else was ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Jay is sick live.

He makes good music.

He gets points for not rapping about the same thing over and over too....Each album is consistently different (lol).

Noraa

Smash Lord
Even if Jay is a sellout (i dont think so) he still has 2-3 classic albums that i listen to on the regular. Ether is probly the best diss i have heard next to nail in your coffin by Em.

JAY ELECTRONICA
ELZHI

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
He is now a pop artist. he is a sellout.
What makes him a pop artist...?

The only thing he does differently now that he didn't do before is rap about drugs n ****.

Best diss I've ever heard = No vasaline...then prolly a Joe budden joint, then prolly a Eminem diss.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Ether is over rated.
Maybe, but it was one of the best disses ever.
put it together. I rock hoes, yall rock fellas...

It's just so clever.

Ether is waaaaaaaaay overrated. One Mic is the best song off that album imo.
Ether may be overrated. It's not like it's the best song ever, or anything. But it is a very strong diss.

And most definitely.

Even if Jay is a sellout (i dont think so) he still has 2-3 classic albums that i listen to on the regular. Ether is probly the best diss i have heard next to nail in your coffin by Em.

JAY ELECTRONICA
ELZHI
He is. Did you listen to Blueprint III?

Where is my NWA? **** DA POLICE!
Whoa, how could I forget them? O.O

What makes him a pop artist...?

The only thing he does differently now that he didn't do before is rap about drugs n ****.

Best diss I've ever heard = No vasaline...then prolly a Joe budden joint, then prolly a Eminem diss.
He is just rapping about what everyone else is pretty much... Have you listened to the Blueprint III? The instrumentals are similar to what every other pop rapper is putting out nowadays. Also, he does songs with other pop rappers. And he doesn't put any soul into the music anymore.

Plus, any real MC on his songs murder him. I.E. Eminem.

Don't get me wrong, a few of his older songs were really good, but now, eh. Its not up to the caliber that it used to be.

The coolest thing he did was give props to Talib Kweli. Thats some good ****.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, old Jay was better...I just don't find myself losing respect for him for changing up his style. That's like...backwards for me, lol. He makes music...good music. He may not be hungry anymore, but it'd be forced otherwise so...I kinda understand it.

And you can't put ANYONE up against Em, lol. That's so unfair.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Anyone familiar with BootCamp Click?

I'll bang to O.G.C. all day.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Yeah, old Jay was better...I just don't find myself losing respect for him for changing up his style. That's like...backwards for me, lol. He makes music...good music. He may not be hungry anymore, but it'd be forced otherwise so...I kinda understand it.

Eh, he's only making music for money. I don't really have any respect for him.

And Eminem is a beast. No one can compare to Em. G.O.A.T.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Eh, he's only making music for money. I don't really have any respect for him.

And Eminem is a beast. No one can compare to Em. G.O.A.T.
How d'you figure? How do you know Eminem's not just doing it for the money?

Like I said, he makes music. He makes GOOD music. He doesn't have the same hunger he used to have because he's not even the same artist he was back then...But he puts work into his albums.

You don't have to have respect for him, that's your prerogative. But to say that he's only in it for the money and that he's a sellout and everything is kinda ridiculous. He's not a Soulija boy...and GOOD artists respect him for a reason.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion

How d'you figure? How do you know Eminem's not just doing it for the money?

Like I said, he makes music. He makes GOOD music. He doesn't have the same hunger he used to have because he's not even the same artist he was back then...But he puts work into his albums.

You don't have to have respect for him, that's your prerogative. But to say that he's only in it for the money and that he's a sellout and everything is kinda ridiculous. He's not a Soulija boy...and GOOD artists respect him for a reason.

You can tell how Eminem pours his heart and soul into his music. I could list dozens of tracks where he does so.

He does make music, but nothing has soul in it.

No, he's not a Soulja Boy, but Jay-Z doesn't rap about anything close to him or what he feels. He doesn't keep it real.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Cookie you are 2 sided, how can you talk about blueprint III being sell out but em's encore was just as pop if not MORE. You make 0 sense daw.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yeah cookie, you're just being a hypocrite. We don't give a **** what personal grudge you have against Jay-Z, he makes quality music.

He's really not different from Eminem at all.

Odinyte

Smash Rookie
Cormega, put him up there. Really surprised no Bone Thugs-n-Harmony "No Surrender." Jay-z too. Jay-z may seem weak now, but the list looks more like a who "was" great list. I don't recall some on that list ever being nice.

Bone thugs were killah in mid 90's.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Cookie you are 2 sided, how can you talk about blueprint III being sell out but em's encore was just as pop if not MORE. You make 0 sense daw.
How was it pop? Encore had some solid tracks like Mockingbird, Like Toy Soldiers, Encore / Curtains Down, Yellow Brick Road, etc.

Yeah cookie, you're just being a hypocrite. We don't give a **** what personal grudge you have against Jay-Z, he makes quality music.

He's really not different from Eminem at all.
Alright, I'll put him on.

Cormega, put him up there. Really surprised no Bone Thugs-n-Harmony "No Surrender." Jay-z too. Jay-z may seem weak now, but the list looks more like a who "was" great list. I don't recall some on that list ever being nice.

Bone thugs were killah in mid 90's.
Cormega should be on there.

Alright, I haven't really listened to BNT that much. I'll put em on

.Marik

is a social misfit
Dude, I linked all those songs and Aesop Rock still isn't up there?

Have you been listening to the tracks I provided?

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Dude, I linked all those songs and Aesop Rock still isn't up there?

Have you been listening to the tracks I provided?
No, I'm kinda starving right now. Let me eat and I'll listen to them.

I haven't been able to listen to all the music that I've wanted to, I have hella tests and stuff. Yup hella, represent the east bay.

.Marik

is a social misfit
No, I mean I've been posting the links to different Aesop Rock songs since the start of this thread.

But sure, understandable. Let me know what you think of them.

I have one more. Like all the ones I've already posted, this track is legit.

Aesop Rock- Plastic Soldiers

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
No, I mean I've been posting the links to different Aesop Rock songs since the start of this thread.

But sure, understandable. Let me know what you think of them.

I have one more. Like all the ones I've already posted, this track is legit.

Aesop Rock- Plastic Soldiers
Oh... must have missed them.

Yeah, I'll look back in a bit. dinner time :D

I don't understand what he's saying. lmao. ill listen to the other ones.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
After I watched Freaknik on Adult Swim, it completely changed my opinion of T-Pain. I think he's the Peter Frampton of our generation.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Strange Fruit Project
Apathy
Blue Scholars

^^ some dope artists that I didnt see in the first post :)

Umm, yeah, maybe we can like address real Hiphop as a whole and not just the music? Hiphop is a culture afterall :p

Like, I'm a bboy. For those who don't know, that's the real/true term for what the media termed "breakdancer". Bboy is a noun and a verb.
Anywho, bboying is one of the 4 elements of hiphop (other thing you should bring up- DJing, Bboying, MCing, and Graffiti -< came in that order). "Hiphop dance" (choreography stuff) is a style we see a lot today... music videos, America's Best Dance crew, etc. It started by Jazz dances who tried to learn bboying, locking, popping, w/e but didn't quite get that skilled in these styles. They took noticed that despite being at a low level of skill, what they did still impressed people... so... they tried to make money of it. It's easier, so way more people can do it... so it got way more popular then bboying.

The problem? It shouldn't be called hiphop dance if it isn't actually.... hiphop dance. Bboying is the one and only :)

/end pointless rant

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Strange Fruit Project
Apathy
Blue Scholars

^^ some dope artists that I didnt see in the first post :)

Umm, yeah, maybe we can like address real Hiphop as a whole and not just the music? Hiphop is a culture afterall :p

Like, I'm a bboy. For those who don't know, that's the real/true term for what the media termed "breakdancer". Bboy is a noun and a verb.
Anywho, bboying is one of the 4 elements of hiphop (other thing you should bring up- DJing, Bboying, MCing, and Graffiti -< came in that order). "Hiphop dance" (choreography stuff) is a style we see a lot today... music videos, America's Best Dance crew, etc. It started by Jazz dances who tried to learn bboying, locking, popping, w/e but didn't quite get that skilled in these styles. They took noticed that despite being at a low level of skill, what they did still impressed people... so... they tried to make money of it. It's easier, so way more people can do it... so it got way more popular then bboying.

The problem? It shouldn't be called hiphop dance if it isn't actually.... hiphop dance. Bboying is the one and only :)

/end pointless rant
<---is enlightened

Thanks for the info, lol. No sarcasm intended.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I found a few dope MC's still comin out with music today. Here they are:

Dynas
Thaione Davis
Krumb Snatcha
Big Tone
Termanology
Modill
Insight
Skyzoo

Dynas, Skyzoo, Insight, and Thaione Davis are dope as ****. If people knew about them, some of their albums would be classics.

Noraa

Smash Lord
everyone should know who skyzoo is if your already into hiphop like that. Same with term and big tone.

Top Bottom