• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey it's Wife - I wrote a book and I'm doing an AMA!

Wife

Smash Lord
Hey Smashboards -

So, I've been working on a project for the past few years - a book about my time as a pro gamer and also the experiences that created Team Ben. This book is very personal at times, and I'll be honest it wasn't written with Smashers intended as the audience. Actually I wasn't intending to share it at all, but Prog and other people have been very kind about their interest in it - so here it is.

If you head over to the book's tumblr, you can d/l it for free or buy it on the cheap (the lowest I could get the price was $4, but I don't make any profit off of that price). There's pics and stuff there too.

Also, I'm doing an AMA tomorrow night at 8pm over at r/smashbros if you want to stop by. I'll put up the thread early for people to leave questions.

Thank you to an amazing community,

Wifey

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Absolutely loved the book, Wife. I read the whole thing in one sitting earlier this week after hearing about it. I'm so happy such an informative, articulate, personal piece about the Melee community was written. I've already ordered 3 hardcopies in preparation for sharing with family and non-Smash friends. If there's anything that can allow an audience like that to gain the same appreciation for the Melee community that you, I, and others have, this book is it.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
About halfway through reading it. Really appreciate the insight into one of the greatest contributors to the melee scene as a whole.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Alright Smashers, getting Melee into Evo was easy mode. Time to get this **** on the New York Times best seller list. LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!!!

Jace08

Smash Lord
fantastic read. You're a very talented writer, wife. Thanks for giving the community this gift

nooga

Smash Apprentice
Wife, you should use /r/internetAMA. They might be interested in you, especially if they've seen/you show them the documentary. I don't have a question, but you should check it out for sure :)

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Wife, I really enjoyed your contribution to The Smash Brothers documentary. Your voice and intelligence gave it an extra bit of credibility amongst those who may not appreciate how competitive Melee can be.

I'll make it a point to read your book at my earliest convenience and I've already posted the link to it on other forums to get you the exposure you so richly deserve. :)

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Wow. Wife! Can't believe you are still active!

Hope you can answer this on ur stream:
1. How much has the metagame changed from the Golden Era to the EVOlution
2. Will you make a revival with Husband and bring back the Newlyweds?!
3. Have you been in contact with those in your era?

Synkhronisity

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5472-6514-0195
Just finished it and I've gotta say that it was quite the story. I watched the smash doc just a little while back but this book gave me a chance to delve even deeper into the aspects behind competitive Melee. A really good story Wife, well written. I'm recommending this to all my friends.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I mean there's not much to explain about it. It's now that he didn't cover it well, it was just a very short story of how he arrived at that name
yeah i wasn't implying that it was explained in a bad way. just no amazing story behind him picking the name.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
So, I've been working on a project for the past few years - a book about my time as a pro gamer and also the experiences that created Team Ben. This book is very personal at times, and I'll be honest it wasn't written with Smashers intended as the audience. Actually I wasn't intending to share it at all, but Prog and other people have been very kind about their interest in it - so here it is.
Yo Wife,
Don't mean to push any sensitive boundaries here, but is there a reason why you were skeptical about sharing the story with us? Its a great read and provides an incredible personal perspective on the smash gaming community.

Anyways, we all really appreciate what you have done for the community, both in the past and in the present with your story. We really couldn't have asked more of you, thanks man, props to one of the best teams players and peach mains of all time.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Finished reading this yesterday. I remember you telling me and some of my crew mates about the events regarding Ben either at Getting Schooled 3 or SmashAID (3 I think? It's the one where Husband had his rant about picking up and throwing Florida into the ocean at Wes's place). At that time you didn't go through all of it, but damn man... that really sucks.

Great read, and it was nice to hear your story about smash. This and the documentary has rekindled a lot of memories of the early years of smash.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Incredible! Reading right now, I'll be buying it when I get home from japan.
As a favor in return, you can buy my book I'll be releasing under a super-secret pseudonym.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Just finished it and I've gotta say that it was quite the story. I watched the smash doc just a little while back but this book gave me a chance to delve even deeper into the aspects behind competitive Melee. A really good story Wife, well written. I'm recommending this to all my friends.
Pretty much that, and it can boil down to this IMO: stuff like won't cover everyone's viewpoint or every great story(DIP!) from this community, and that can be seen one more reason why Smash is such a great community.

I'm reading this later for (mostly)simpler motives than just to learn objectively about before I joined, and like many of us, I'm sure, I'm finding difficult to pin down exactly why I have stuck around so long(relatively lol), but then there's the beauty of it: you don't HAVE to be too precise about much outside of actual gameplay. You can be as different as you are or want to be here, kind of like the FGC, where a fair amount of people are not as polite as they usually are(I'm not, lol), and that's who they actually are, but life outside of the Battle Circuit etc. doesn't really accept or allow that kind of thing through.
That's all I can effectively brainstorm, someone else will cover for more profound examples, and that took deep thought as is.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I read the book, it was excellent read although I didn't expect the story to be so sad and emotional, it kinda shocked me at first and really touched me.

Wife, you are a gift to this community and so is this book, everybody should read it

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
I was busy with a bunch of other books so I didn't get to this until months later but I got to this part
Wife said:
To educated readers, I say to you that Marth is the best, because if played perfectly he will never be hit.
And I feel it needed to be posted so that on the off chance crims hasn't read the book himself he can feel a little bit of vindication from you.

Top Bottom