He Has a Bone to Pick With You: The Sans Thread that was coming anyway...

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Why have a circle when you can have a full rising helix carrying on up the whole height of the stage? It may only play in 2 dimensions but Smash is modelled in 3 and it would be super cool to see Sans take advantage of that. What with him not having had the chance before and all.

While I would LOVE for him to be playable, I don't think he inherently "deserves" to be playable (like K. Rool, Daisy, or Ridley). So even if he gets to be a really cool boss, or (better yet) and assist trophy, I'd be happy.
What made Ridley more deserving of playable status than Sans? Genuinely curious since I've only ever seen him as a very heavily scripted moving stage boss fight, which implies that boss or stage would be a better Ridley fit to me.

And, to the person who made the Frisk splash card, wouldn't "Shows no mercy!" be the best Undertale tag line?

Last edited:
What made Ridley more deserving of playable status than Sans?
Why isn't there a dislike button to mf'ing mash? Sans isn't a Nintendo character and hasn't even been on a Nintendo console (as of making this post). In all honesty, Sans really shouldn't be in Smash Bros, I just love the character so I'm biased.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Sans isn't a Nintendo character and hasn't even been on a Nintendo console (as of making this post). In all honesty, Sans really shouldn't be in Smash Bros, I just love the character so I'm biased.
And that's a perfectly sound reason for why one should be in over the other but, assuming both are in, IDK if it still means much.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
NNID
Robertman2
Let's be real: a Sans inclusion would make a lot of people very upset, and not because of the usual "why'd he get in over ______" reasons.

At the same time, he might be the only guy who could trump the Cloud reveal, if Nintendo's ever interested in that sort of thing. Maybe after Crash Bandicoot, tho
Master Chief would. Easily.

Throw me on the list.

xNaz

Smash Cadet
I unironically want Sans to be announced as an AT. The ****storm and memes that would result from it would be glorious yet his inclusion wouldn't have a significant bearing on the rest of the game. It could also give us Megalovania as a misc stage song.

I understand that Sans would upset a lot of people; and I also agree that many characters should get in first. But I would not be one of those upset people lol ;3 Although an argument could be made for Frisk; absolutely. In particular, I've seen a Moveset that incorporates a Pacifist (more defensive and combo oriented) and Genocide (Brute Force) playstyle and I think that'd be perfect. I just wanna see Undertale in any shape or form tbh.

ProfPeanut

Smash Journeyman
I unironically want Sans to be announced as an AT. The ****storm and memes that would result from it would be glorious yet his inclusion wouldn't have a significant bearing on the rest of the game. It could also give us Megalovania as a misc stage song.
Sans as an AT and Megalovania (on Final Destination, ideally) is also my idea of ideal Undertale representation. Bonus points if Sans does something trolly and unhelpfully lazy as an AT.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
So far, most 3rd party characters also have an AT from their series. So if Sans did make it as a character, what would be the the Undertale AT? Papyrus? Toby Dog? TEMMIE?!

But if Sans ends up being an AT, I would be okay... as long as we still get some Undertale tracks to compensate ;)

Megadoomer

Switch FC
SW 0351 1523 9047
Undertale came out on the Switch sometime last night; I was playing it to kill time before the Captain Marvel trailer, and I'm already an hour in and at the Papyrus fight, so it's as engrossing as ever.

I definitely feel like Sans works best as an AT. His whole thing is exploiting game mechanics to avoid being killed in one hit, which would be pretty impossible to replicate in a moveset.

I can see him turning the whole stage into a temporary Bullet Hell. Or having waves of bones go across the stage that have to be jumped over (not doing knockback but doing damage over time).

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
I definitely feel like Sans works best as an AT. His whole thing is exploiting game mechanics to avoid being killed in one hit, which would be pretty impossible to replicate in a moveset.

I can see him turning the whole stage into a temporary Bullet Hell. Or having waves of bones go across the stage that have to be jumped over (not doing knockback but doing damage over time).
I would PREFER Sans as a character, but I wouldn't be disappointed if he ends up as an AT instead. But your post did give me an idea...
I think it'd be cool if, as an assist trophy, Sans' attack was somewhat random. Like, 95% of the time, he sends a wave of bones either left or right across the stage. But there'd be a 5% chance or something that he unleashes his bullet hell killing move filling the whole screen without warning.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Sans has a better shot at being a DLC character. I don’t know when they decided to port undertale on the switch, so the smash team might not have known it was coming to the console when the final roster was made. U doubt they would put him in if he wasn’t on a Nintendo console. DLC is still on the table

Switch FC
SW 0818-9732-6979
One of the few characters I don't want in Smash. Others include Robloxian, Jynx, Goku, and too many echoes.

Let the hate storm begin!

BREAKING NEWS! HURRICANE SANS JUST REACHED CATEGORY 5 AND IS BARRELING TOWARDS THE EAST COAST OF TRUMP LAND!

RIP my house! Time to evacuate to ultra space lol

One of the few characters I don't want in Smash. Others include Robloxian, Jynx, Goku, and too many echoes.

Let the hate storm begin!

BREAKING NEWS! HURRICANE SANS JUST REACHED CATEGORY 5 AND IS BARRELING TOWARDS THE EAST COAST OF TRUMP LAND!

RIP my house! Time to evacuate to ultra space lol
I can understand not wanting Sans. I personally don't think he has a viable moveset (I'd rather have Papyrus).

I do think Undertale deserves to be represented somehow. It was an absolute smash hit afterall and is now on Switch.

Then why on earth are you here? Just to **** on other people's choices?
No kidding. I mean, I really don't want Incineroar or Steve, but I would never go and rain on their parade. Everyone is entitled to be passionate about a character's inclusion.

Otherwise, if you have legit things to add about why you don't want Sans, please feel free to contribute to discussion.

Last edited:
Frisk does, though they're called "the human" for spoiler purposes.

For reference, if you're not sure about that sort of thing, you can check the Newcomer Support Thread directory, which is stickied at the top of this section of the forum.
Hmm, well we seem to be lacking an Undyne one. There any regulations to making a newcomer thread that I should know about?

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I actually think a possible obstacle to Sans being in Smash even if Toby is approached would be that there's no way he could be in without spoiling Undertale...and Toby seemed pretty against spoiling the game(though Sakurai isn't any stranger to spoiling through Smash).

Personally though I'd love Sans to be in Smash, I always root for the character no one else wants or would be salty over, but it's a great bonus in that Undertale is actually a really well made game with some really neat and well executed ideas(and I loved it), it's unfortunate the memes and fanbase have made some people forget or overlook that.

Switch FC
SW 0818-9732-6979
Then why on earth are you here? Just to **** on other people's choices?
I just simply wanted to share my opinion. It's not against the law to do so. Stop whining.
My reasoning is that just because a game gets added to the switch doesn't mean that *insert character* should be in Smash. Sans wouldn't fit in with the rest of the roster in my opinion. Also he has 1 hp in his game, and I can't think of a moveset that would work in Smash.

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2180-0178-8530
I just simply wanted to share my opinion. It's not against the law to do so. Stop whining.
My reasoning is that just because a game gets added to the switch doesn't mean that *insert character* should be in Smash. Sans wouldn't fit in with the rest of the roster in my opinion. Also he has 1 hp in his game, and I can't think of a moveset that would work in Smash.
Nobody said that he should be added to smash because undertale is on the switch.
Okay so he has 1 hp in his game.... because smash never deviates from the canon of the games.
Empthsis on "you" can't think of a moveset for him, but sakurai could and so could other people.

Switch FC
SW 0818-9732-6979
User was warned for this post
Ok I'm leaving this thread because the entire undertale fanbase can't take an opinion without crying. SMFH go get a life crybabies.

I can only speak for myself, but I think people were mostly reacting to the dismissiveness of your original post. Your response insulting people who like Undertale really shows you don't have interest in a good-faith conversation.

I actually agree that Sans probably wouldn't translate well mechanically, though I think the insane success of the game still warrants some level of content.

Its possible to have an honest disagreement mate. No need to start calling people crybabies.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I don't know about a character, but I'd be down for an Undertale stage based on the battle screen. Then they could cycle through all of the boss encounters with the main cast; Toriel, Sans, Papyrus, Undyne, Mettaton, Asgore. Well maybe not Asgore if they want to avoid end game spoilers.

What I want more than anything though would be the music. I only played through the game once, but I still listen to the soundtrack all the time.

As for actual chance, at best I could see a trophy or two and hopefully some music in the Other category.

I wouldn't be opposed if Sans or someone else actually got in, but similar to Minecraft I feel like Undertale is a game that can offer a lot except for when it comes to a playable character. I'm positive you can make most of the cast function with enough work and creative liberties, I just personally feel they're better suited for other roles.

Last edited:

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
Put me on the support list, I recently played Undertale and I was pretty amazed by it, and Sans definitely was my favorite character (2nd is Papyrus).

edit: typo

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Switch FC
SW 0351 1523 9047

This might not be Undertale related, strictly speaking (the way that he words it makes it sound like something brand new), but whatever it is, we'll find out tomorrow around 9 AM EST. (Unless he's messing with us)