• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He Has a Bone to Pick With You: The Sans Thread that was coming anyway...

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
Just posting this in case something big happens tomorrow: I wouldn't mind it if he gets put into Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm uncertain on Sans. He's a cool dude but, I don't know. What I like about Sans though, he feels Nintendo and is interesting. I Just gotta see his 3D model.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Well, I'm not gonna lie, I really, REALLY do not want Sans or any UT content in this game at all. I think it would be atrocious if any of it got in, especially if it got a playable character.

But sadly this decision is out of my hands. There's a non-zero possibility that some Undertale content appears in this game, as the game is now on Switch and owes a significant amount to Earthbound and Mario (I mean, good lord, it even shamelessly steals their soundfonts for many of its music tracks, which I'm surprised isn't sending Nintendo's diabolical legal team into conniptions). The game is enduring popularity in the States and is also getting quite popular in Japan.

I'm just one man, and obviously they don't count "negative votes". So I guess I really just have to brace for impact and hope that Undertale doesn't leave a huge smoldering crater. If I'm fortunate, it'll pass by harmlessly.

To be clear though, I really don't think Sans has a strong chance of making it in as a playable character. Perhaps a trophy acknowledgement, or (god forbid) an assist trophy, but a whole playable character? I think that's way too wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
So, you know what that means...?

What? what did you expect? Sans? he was invited, but he was too lazy to fight, so he told the human to fight for him.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So, you know what that means...?

What? what did you expect? Sans? he was invited, but he was too lazy to fight, so he told the human to fight for him.
I guess you could say he had a bad time.

Anways, I wouldn’t say Sakurai liking Undertale makes him a shoe-in, but it does make him likelier to a small fraction.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I guess you could say he had a bad time.

Anways, I wouldn’t say Sakurai liking Undertale makes him a shoe-in, but it does make him likelier to a small fraction.
Eh, better than before where I did not even believe he was aware of its existence. Albeit, it would be hard to ignore the impact Undertale had unless you were living under a conveniently house-shaped rock.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Eh, better than before where I did not even believe he was aware of its existence. Albeit, it would be hard to ignore the impact Undertale had unless you were living under a conveniently house-shaped rock.
Oh trust me, I am a big Undertale fan and knew about how loud and controversial the fandom is.

Just that I don't see this making Sans a bigger priority than say Shantae or Shovel Knight.

But we will see about that.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Well, at least he knows what undertale is. Maybe that bumps sans up a bit.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Well, at least he knows what undertale is. Maybe that bumps sans up a bit.
True. I can only imagine the massive backlash from his inclusion.

In fact, every Sans for Smash video I see have a ton of dislikes or just toxic views of him because of the Undertale fandom itself.

It's to the point where compare him to Goku and Shrek, when those two aren't even video game characters.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is Sans' day in the RTC. Come show your support.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Screw it, it's now or never to support this, I am unironically throwing in and supporting Sans for Smash Bros 5. Just as long as they don't use the terrible Homestuck version of Megalovania, Undertale being in Smash sounds amazing.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I personally think that, given the prevalence of the game, there is a non-insignificant chance of Sans making it in in some capacity, even if it's just a trophy. Personally I think an assist trophy or even a stage would be amazing. A roster spot is doubtful, but I wouldn't complain.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The simple answer to people's problems is having the great Papyrus instead of Sans, and have Sans appear for the Final Smash

Kaberman

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't get upset if Sans got in, but i'd really rather have Papyrus with Sans as his Final Smash. Feels like that'd be the only way to do Sans' fighting style justice without breaking the game in half.

But hell, i'll support this anyways.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I thought Sans was a joke suggestion for the longest time until I actually clicked here. Guess I should do the genocide run lol.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I don't think Sans has really any shot in the base game, but I support him. I haven't even played Undertale but I've heard he could have a really unique move set, and I'd love to listen to Megalovania while playing Smash. The main reason I want him though is because it would be so funny. Seeing everyone's reactions and then seeing him on the tier list and in patch notes would just be hilarious to me. Imagine the Game Theories! Memes aside, I'd rather have him than any other indie and would like to see him in Smash.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Don't mean to be a Negative Nancy here, but wouldn't the actual main protagonist of the game be a better rep over the side character you can fight in that one route? I get that sans is popular but if anyone's gonna get in from Undertale it'll be Frisk.

Also, sans has been in the game since the very start, haw haw.

PokemonPirate101

Smash Rookie
Oh, fors God's sake! Sans is not Ness! Are you trying to annoy people, or do you really believe that ****?!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Sans is certainly the mascot of Undertale, and the most memorable character by those who have both played it and have not. You see that face, and you know what you're in for. So, even though I can't imagine his gameplay resembling the gameplay of Undertale much, I'd still like to see him represent the series (if ever, and I'd be totally cool if Undertale was never in Smash too... this is just hypothetical). But with the game coming to Switch soon, it'd be a nice little suprise. I made a moveset for him a couple years ago now, not a very detailed one, but enough to show my support.

sans_super_smash_bros__by_mattdog1000000-d9sjvop.png

He's the mascot, like y'know, Pikachu is for Pokemon. I'd dig it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So, never really thought Sans would make a good fit as a playable character.

However, this last Direct showed us two things:

A. Shovel Knight showed us that indie characters can make it as Assist Trophies.

B. Rathalos showed us that 3P characters can be both a boss, and an Assist Trophy.

So that's how I'd like to see Sans in Smash. As both a boss(for whatever mode they use bosses for), and as an assist trophy.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
So, never really thought Sans would make a good fit as a playable character.

However, this last Direct showed us two things:

A. Shovel Knight showed us that indie characters can make it as Assist Trophies.

B. Rathalos showed us that 3P characters can be both a boss, and an Assist Trophy.

So that's how I'd like to see Sans in Smash. As both a boss(for whatever mode they use bosses for), and as an assist trophy.
It wouldn't be bad to see him as a boss, but I'd love to play a character who could rack up damage as fast as Sans. He'd just have garbage knockback.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
If boss mode is coming, then I think that's Sans' best way to show up in any combative capacity. Most people only understand him because of his boss fight anyway, which makes it one of the ideal ways Smash can represent him.

The other way, of course, is an Assist Trophy that's so lazy, he does nothing to contribute to the fight. This'd avoid the implication that Undertale is only about Sans' boss fight, which enough people subconsciously assume as it is.

Last edited:

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I see Sans as an assistant throwing banana peel to make a joke.

I do not think we have references to the genocide route, it is not characteristic of the character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The other way, of course, is an Assistr trophy that's so lazy, he does nothing to contribute to the fight. This'd avoid the implication that Undertale is only about Sans' boss fight, which enough people subconsciously assume enough as it is.
This is honestly one of the best ideas I've head for Sans.
He does absolutely nothing when summoned.

....except if you get close to him and take one more step. :V

....then you'll have a bad time.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'd say I'm more partial to supporting the likes of Frisk or Undyne. DO they have their own newcomer threads per chance?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
I've kind of ignored all the Undertale hype for years, not really caring about this much talked-about "Sans" character.
But I just spent this last week playing through the runs for the fist time, and fine. I admit it, I'm sold on the idea of Sans for Smash :upsidedown:

While I would LOVE for him to be playable, I don't think he inherently "deserves" to be playable (like K. Rool, Daisy, or Ridley). So even if he gets to be a really cool boss, or (better yet) and assist trophy, I'd be happy.

Top Bottom