• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He Has a Bone to Pick With You: The Sans Thread that was coming anyway...

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Why have a circle when you can have a full rising helix carrying on up the whole height of the stage? It may only play in 2 dimensions but Smash is modelled in 3 and it would be super cool to see Sans take advantage of that. What with him not having had the chance before and all.

While I would LOVE for him to be playable, I don't think he inherently "deserves" to be playable (like K. Rool, Daisy, or Ridley). So even if he gets to be a really cool boss, or (better yet) and assist trophy, I'd be happy.
What made Ridley more deserving of playable status than Sans? Genuinely curious since I've only ever seen him as a very heavily scripted moving stage boss fight, which implies that boss or stage would be a better Ridley fit to me.

And, to the person who made the Frisk splash card, wouldn't "Shows no mercy!" be the best Undertale tag line?

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
What made Ridley more deserving of playable status than Sans?
Why isn't there a dislike button to mf'ing mash? Sans isn't a Nintendo character and hasn't even been on a Nintendo console (as of making this post). In all honesty, Sans really shouldn't be in Smash Bros, I just love the character so I'm biased.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Welp, this is the first time I make a thread of a smash fighter. Lets see how I do.

The Pun-Master of the Underground
Sans

Who is Sans?

Sans is the first monster you meet after leaving the ruins in the popular Indie game "Undertale." He shows up occasionally during your adventure with a few puns along the way.
In the Genocide Route, he is the toughest boss in the entire game.

Why should he be in Smash?
Undertale is one of the most popular closely Nintendo-related Indie game. It is based heavily on the Mother series which hasn't had a fighter since brawl being Lucas who is basically Ness but freezes. But I can hear someone say, "But Undertale is a game about showing mercy NOT fighting." To that, my very observant reader, you are absolutely right. But that is where Sans comes in. He is the only monster who would kill you right where you stand if it weren't for a certain promise he made. Also, the only time you battle him, is when you are not showing mercy and doing the Genocide Route. With his humor, he would even MORE comedy to the smash game. Plus, he has the move-set potential.

Move-set Ideas

Sans move-set

Neutral Special: Bone Throw A long-range move where he throws a bone. Does only one damage but adds poison.
Side-Special: Blue Bone Throw A long-range move that does more damage than the Neutral Special but it does no damage if the opponent that gets hit stands still. Does slightly more damage but adds poison.
Up-Special: Teleportation Basically Zelda's up special but no damage.
Down-Special: Bone Ascent (Can't come up with a better name for it) The Down-Special was a tricky one to figure out. But I figured it out. Bones rise from the ground right in front of you.

Up Smash Attack A Gaster Blaster facing upwards similar to Palutena's Up Smash.
Side Smash Attacks A Gaster Blaster facing one of the two sides. (The Side and Up Smash could use the Gaster Blaster sound effect when loading and firing)
Down Smash Attack A gravity move similar to Zero Suit's Down Smash but instead of stunning, the opponent gets stuck in the ground.

Grab Sans grabs the opponent's soul (which turns to blue) and punches it and then for up, side, and down is his gravity facing the direction depending if it is a up, side, or down.

Final Smash It could be Sans opening attack from his battle or Gaster Blasters circling the stage.

Animations: His taunts are: Sans napping, drinking ketchup, and doing his signature fourth wall breaking pose with a ba-dum-tiss.
When he enters the battle, Sans leaves his Hot Dog Stand that still has snow on the roof.
His victory animations are: A sign showing "Out to Grillby's", Sans brushing his head with a hair comb, and Sans lying on a beach chair drinking a smoothie (or something).
His losing pose is just him shrugging.

I would also like to mention that Sans will be able to be launched farther than most fighters since he has only 1 hp.

Random Stuff that didn't fit in the Other Categories
Assist Trophy: Undyne throwing Spears of Justice at players.

Stage: Two ideas, The Judgement Hall,

or the entire underground and you explore it like Wuhu Island.

Music:
Megalovania
Nyeh Heh Heh + Bonetrousle
Your Best Friend and Best Nightmare
Spears of Justice
Battle Against a True Hero
Bergentruckung + Asgore
Hopes and Dreams
It's Raining Somewhere Else
Spider Dance
Death By Glamour
Undertale (Main Theme)
Song that Might Play When You Fight Sans
etc.

Alternate Costume Ideas: This maybe asking TOO much, but I would LOVE to see Ink Sans, Error Sans, and other AU sans to be used as Alternate Costumes. And Majoratale and Poketale are just TOO perfect.

Why he could be in Smash

Undertale is coming to Switch and had a very unique trailer in the Nintendo Direct.

Undertale is based heavily on Earthbound and the Mother series creator, Shigesato Itoi, recognized Toby Fox as an awesome game designer. https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1004666083792412672

Toby Fox has been suspiciously excited for Smash Bros Ultimate. https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/971877341285769222 https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1017759179778478081

Yea, not that much reasons why he could be in Smash that I could come up with at the top of my head.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I based this thread a lot on Yellowlord Yellowlord 's Shantae thread. I hope you don't mind that, YellowLord.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm pretty sure we already have a Sans thread.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Wow, must've missed it (guess this is what happens if you have to go through 20 pages). Welp. at least I went into more detail I guess XD
I wasn't able to find a Rex or Pyra thread either. Which is odd.

EDIT: Never mind, we have one.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Let's be real: a Sans inclusion would make a lot of people very upset, and not because of the usual "why'd he get in over ______" reasons.

At the same time, he might be the only guy who could trump the Cloud reveal, if Nintendo's ever interested in that sort of thing. Maybe after Crash Bandicoot, tho
Master Chief would. Easily.

Throw me on the list.

xNaz

Smash Cadet
I unironically want Sans to be announced as an AT. The ****storm and memes that would result from it would be glorious yet his inclusion wouldn't have a significant bearing on the rest of the game. It could also give us Megalovania as a misc stage song.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I understand that Sans would upset a lot of people; and I also agree that many characters should get in first. But I would not be one of those upset people lol ;3 Although an argument could be made for Frisk; absolutely. In particular, I've seen a Moveset that incorporates a Pacifist (more defensive and combo oriented) and Genocide (Brute Force) playstyle and I think that'd be perfect. I just wanna see Undertale in any shape or form tbh.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I unironically want Sans to be announced as an AT. The ****storm and memes that would result from it would be glorious yet his inclusion wouldn't have a significant bearing on the rest of the game. It could also give us Megalovania as a misc stage song.
Sans as an AT and Megalovania (on Final Destination, ideally) is also my idea of ideal Undertale representation. Bonus points if Sans does something trolly and unhelpfully lazy as an AT.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
So far, most 3rd party characters also have an AT from their series. So if Sans did make it as a character, what would be the the Undertale AT? Papyrus? Toby Dog? TEMMIE?!

But if Sans ends up being an AT, I would be okay... as long as we still get some Undertale tracks to compensate ;)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Undertale came out on the Switch sometime last night; I was playing it to kill time before the Captain Marvel trailer, and I'm already an hour in and at the Papyrus fight, so it's as engrossing as ever.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
I definitely feel like Sans works best as an AT. His whole thing is exploiting game mechanics to avoid being killed in one hit, which would be pretty impossible to replicate in a moveset.

I can see him turning the whole stage into a temporary Bullet Hell. Or having waves of bones go across the stage that have to be jumped over (not doing knockback but doing damage over time).

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
I definitely feel like Sans works best as an AT. His whole thing is exploiting game mechanics to avoid being killed in one hit, which would be pretty impossible to replicate in a moveset.

I can see him turning the whole stage into a temporary Bullet Hell. Or having waves of bones go across the stage that have to be jumped over (not doing knockback but doing damage over time).
I would PREFER Sans as a character, but I wouldn't be disappointed if he ends up as an AT instead. But your post did give me an idea...
I think it'd be cool if, as an assist trophy, Sans' attack was somewhat random. Like, 95% of the time, he sends a wave of bones either left or right across the stage. But there'd be a 5% chance or something that he unleashes his bullet hell killing move filling the whole screen without warning.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Sans has a better shot at being a DLC character. I don’t know when they decided to port undertale on the switch, so the smash team might not have known it was coming to the console when the final roster was made. U doubt they would put him in if he wasn’t on a Nintendo console. DLC is still on the table

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
One of the few characters I don't want in Smash. Others include Robloxian, Jynx, Goku, and too many echoes.

Let the hate storm begin!

BREAKING NEWS! HURRICANE SANS JUST REACHED CATEGORY 5 AND IS BARRELING TOWARDS THE EAST COAST OF TRUMP LAND!

RIP my house! Time to evacuate to ultra space lol

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
One of the few characters I don't want in Smash. Others include Robloxian, Jynx, Goku, and too many echoes.

Let the hate storm begin!

BREAKING NEWS! HURRICANE SANS JUST REACHED CATEGORY 5 AND IS BARRELING TOWARDS THE EAST COAST OF TRUMP LAND!

RIP my house! Time to evacuate to ultra space lol
I can understand not wanting Sans. I personally don't think he has a viable moveset (I'd rather have Papyrus).

I do think Undertale deserves to be represented somehow. It was an absolute smash hit afterall and is now on Switch.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Shh don't tell anybody, but I would actually love Sans in smash

Last edited:

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Then why on earth are you here? Just to **** on other people's choices?
No kidding. I mean, I really don't want Incineroar or Steve, but I would never go and rain on their parade. Everyone is entitled to be passionate about a character's inclusion.

Otherwise, if you have legit things to add about why you don't want Sans, please feel free to contribute to discussion.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The weakest form of detraction ever.

"Lel the Undertale fanbase is cancer and they don't deserve their meme skeleton"

I don't see him as a must have inclusion, but I don't go around acting like that.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I actually think a possible obstacle to Sans being in Smash even if Toby is approached would be that there's no way he could be in without spoiling Undertale...and Toby seemed pretty against spoiling the game(though Sakurai isn't any stranger to spoiling through Smash).

Personally though I'd love Sans to be in Smash, I always root for the character no one else wants or would be salty over, but it's a great bonus in that Undertale is actually a really well made game with some really neat and well executed ideas(and I loved it), it's unfortunate the memes and fanbase have made some people forget or overlook that.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Then why on earth are you here? Just to **** on other people's choices?
I just simply wanted to share my opinion. It's not against the law to do so. Stop whining.
My reasoning is that just because a game gets added to the switch doesn't mean that *insert character* should be in Smash. Sans wouldn't fit in with the rest of the roster in my opinion. Also he has 1 hp in his game, and I can't think of a moveset that would work in Smash.

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I just simply wanted to share my opinion. It's not against the law to do so. Stop whining.
My reasoning is that just because a game gets added to the switch doesn't mean that *insert character* should be in Smash. Sans wouldn't fit in with the rest of the roster in my opinion. Also he has 1 hp in his game, and I can't think of a moveset that would work in Smash.
Nobody said that he should be added to smash because undertale is on the switch.
Okay so he has 1 hp in his game.... because smash never deviates from the canon of the games.
Empthsis on "you" can't think of a moveset for him, but sakurai could and so could other people.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
User was warned for this post
Ok I'm leaving this thread because the entire undertale fanbase can't take an opinion without crying. SMFH go get a life crybabies.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Ok I'm leaving this thread because the entire undertale fanbase can't take an opinion without crying. SMFH go get a life crybabies.
Sounds like projecting, I was sharing my retaliation to your points, perhaps you're the one who can't take a opinion?

Top Bottom