• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to how ZSS is one of the best survivalists in the game...

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Snakeee, your an idiot everyone knows zamus has one of the worst recoveries in the game its almost as bad as lucarios lol just fsmash her (doesnt matter whos) and edgehog and she dies just like lucario lol shes reely hot tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

And, FBM that's actually not true. I don't know the specifics for every tether char, but I know that Sheik and Olimar can tether onto the ledge as much as they want before returning to the stage.
Nope. I just checked. 3 times is the max for all tethers before landing on solid ground. It was definitely an intended mechanic to keep tether characters from stalling on the ledge indefinitely.

NeoZero

Smash Apprentice
Snakeee, your an idiot everyone knows zamus has one of the worst recoveries in the game its almost as bad as lucarios lol just fsmash her (doesnt matter whos) and edgehog and she dies just like lucario lol shes reely hot tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Nope. I just checked. 3 times is the max for all tethers before landing on solid ground. It was definitely an intended mechanic to keep tether characters from stalling on the ledge indefinitely.
Gasp!

To the bomb shelter!

Snakeee

Smash Master
You're.....dumb

and Lucario's recovery isn't even bad, at least it's hard for most chars to hit him while he's off the stage and his wall cling is pretty useful.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Maybe Snakeee knew he was joking, and attempted to trick you two.

Mindgames run deep.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I finally tested out using the down B to survive from attacks that would normally KO with Ninja Link. What happens is that if you're at a very horizontal angle and you do an up air then a down B, it will in fact allow you to survive longer. However, if you're being sent upwards you will actually die from the "bounce" that B moves get from trying to get out of hitstun. It was pretty hilarious, I survived DK's f-smash in training on a custom stage with just DI. Then I tried it with the down B and we just hear ZSS' weird echo cry of death :laugh:

Orion*

Smash Researcher
The only times I've ever been gimped are by the FD lip and once on Smashville, and after watching the replay a million times we still can't figure out why the whip never came out of my upB.

Her tether is too good to gimp, really.
after countless times of gimping you, you go and lie :lick:
all i do is grab the ledge then get up and wait for you to predictably downB onto the stage Every time, No matter how many times i punish you for it, LOL XD

and you thought i didnt read the ZSS forums :)

<3snakee, the only thing i didnt know was uair to downB for living longer.

<3cyan, stop lying to the public

fkacyan

Smash Hero
█████████████████████████▓▓▒░░░░▒▒▓▓███████████████████████████
███████████████████▓▒░;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;▒▓██████████████████████
███████████████▓▒;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;░▒▓▓▓██████▓▓▓▒░;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;▒▓█████████████████
█████████████▓;;;;;;;;;;;;▒▓████████████████████▓▒░;;;;;;;;;;▒███████████████
███████████▒;;;;;;;;;;▒▓████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████▓▒;;;;;;;;;;;▓█████████████
█████████▒;;;;;;;;;▓█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████▓▒;;;;;;;▒███████████
███████▓░;;;;;▒█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████▒;;;;;;;▒██████████
██████▒;;;;;;▒████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓░;;░▓████████
█████▒;;;;;▒███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▒;;;;;;;▓███████
████▒;;;;;;▓████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████████▓▓███▒;;;;;;▓██████
███▒;;;;;;▓████████████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████████████████▓▓███▒;;;;▒█████
██▓;;;;;;;██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒██▓▓██▓;;;;;;▒████
█▓▒;;;;▓█▓;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;░;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;▒█▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒;;░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░;;▒█▓▓▓██▓;;;;;;;▓███
█▒;;;;;▓█▓░▒████████████▒;;██▓▓▓▓▓█▓;;;▓██████████████;;;;▓█▓▓▓▓█▓;;;;;;;████
▓▒;;;▒██▒;;▓████▒;;;;;▓████▓;;;▓█▓▓▓▓▓█▓;;;▓█████▒;;;;;██████▒;;▓█▓▓▓▓██░;;;;▒███
▓;;;;;;▓██▓;;▒█████▓▓████▓▒;;██▓▓▓▓▓█▓;;;▓██████████████;;;;▓█▓▓▓▓▓█▓;;;;;;███
▓;;;;;;████░;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒░;;░;;;;;;;;;;;░▒▒░;;;;;;;;;;;░;;;;▒█▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒;;;;;▓██
▒;;;░██▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓░;;▒██
▒;;;░██▓▓██████████████████████████████████████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓░;;▒██
▒;;;;;;██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████████████████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒░;;▓██
▓;;;;;;██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█░;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;▒█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓;;;;;;▓██
▓░;;;▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▒;;;;;███
█▒;;;;;██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██;;;;;;;▓███
█▒;;;;;▒██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓;;;;;;;████
██▒;;;;;▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓░;;;;▓████
███;;;;;;;▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓;;;;;;▓████
███▓;;;;;;▒███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓░;;;;;██████
████▓;;;;;;;;███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▒;;;;;;▓██████
█████▓░;;;;▒███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▒;;;;;▒████████
███████░;;;;;;▓████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓▒;;;;;;;▓████████
████████▒;;;;;;;▒█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▒;;;;;;;;▓██████████
██████████▒;;;;;;;;▒███████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▒;;;;;;;;;▒████████████
███████████▓▒;;;;;;;;;▒▓█████████████████████████▒░;;;;;;;;;▓██████████████
██████████████▒░;;;;;;;;;;▒▓▓████████████████▓▒░;;;;;;;;;░;▓████████████████
█████████████████▓░;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;▒▓██████████████████
█████████████████████▓▒░;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;░▒▓███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Sunstar

Smash Apprentice
really nice thread
especially for zamus novices

good job!

but if an attack with horizontal knockback would kill me and i down-b to survive, i am normally not able to grab the edge, because of the good edgeguarding skills of my enemies
-.-
but sometimes i spike them with a desparate up-b ^^
"don't be so greedy" i like to say in such situations ;)

Snakeee

Smash Master
I only use down B to survive if I feel that zss will certainly die otherwise. Its best to save it if you can and is her greatest recovery tool especially with the footstool. And cyanide I dont know what you posted bc Im on my cell so Im assuming it was something stupid...

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I only use down B to survive if I feel that zss will certainly die otherwise. Its best to save it if you can and is her greatest recovery tool especially with the footstool. And cyanide I dont know what you posted bc Im on my cell so Im assuming it was something stupid...
ASCII art.

Sunstar

Smash Apprentice
I only use down B to survive if I feel that zss will certainly die otherwise. Its best to save it if you can and is her greatest recovery tool especially with the footstool.
Thats clear ;)
But i think if a horizontal-knockback-smash would kill you if you don't use down b to escape from the end of the stage, it will kill you even if the down b is able to save you from that end of the stage.
If you use the d-special too early - what you definitely do in this case - is some kind of death sentence i think :(
because if zss hasn't the down-special and her second jump has not enough reach to grab the edge she is so easy to edgeguard... you may even use the word "gimp" here O.O

so all in all it seems that there is no escape from horizontal-knockback-attacks (may i say throwed-star-rod-knockback? oO) if your % are high enough
you may be able to life a very little bit longer... but a real chance to grab the edge or even land on the stage does not exist if your enemy keeps cool i think

but as i sayed... if your desparate recovery try spikes your enemy it always is some great fun xD
so there is always a reason for just trying to survive ;)
for trying to gimp the gimping enemy xD

Garde

Smash Ace
Sunstar, most characters are pretty screwed when it comes to getting nailed with a star rod, due to its psuedo spike properties. If you DI properly, and use the boost jump, though, chances are that you can get to the ledge before your opponent, unless they were close to the edge to begin with.

Shadow Tactics

Smash Cadet
A month after reading this I can safely say that this has been the most helpful thread to me by far. Thanks Snakeee.

xxDKxx

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the awesome thread Snakeee.
I'm pretty noobish and this info will definitely help me a lot with surviving longer.

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
I heard that its impossible to escape Yoshi's chain grab if they do it right.
I haven't gotten to test this yet fully, so i'd like to ask if it is possible to escape by down-b?

Snakeee

Smash Master
I heard that its impossible to escape Yoshi's chain grab if they do it right.
I haven't gotten to test this yet fully, so i'd like to ask if it is possible to escape by down-b?
It seems like it either doesn't work, or it requires such frame perfect timing that you will still pull off the down B most of the time. So either way it is useful lol

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
Wait, so, ZSS can downB footstool when they're hanging on the ledge? If only I knew that before, that's amazing D:

noradseven

Smash Lord
Can you elaborate?
No prob.

When you get tripped by a bannana tossed at you immediately roll in the direction of the banana, you can pick it up right when you are standing up with A(just mash it, if you are lazy) and before it hits the ground. I can do it about 80% of the time, with a decent portion of the cast, its pretty abusive, it however will not stop the diddy from hitting you with his second banana. That combined with your super fast AA, jab to stop his stupid running attack, u-tilt pressure, makes the diddy match, not bad at all.

I have known this for a while and was pretty shocked to learn it wasn't common knowledge.

noradseven

Smash Lord
The commentary on Snakeee's match against DSF's Snake when he footstooled off the grenade was priceless.
nothing beats the commentary in the Arcana Heart match, between Dave(AKA Im going to lose to Justin Wong) and Justin Wong.

The commentary should of been. SNAKEEEE IS SO SMART!!!

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Zamus can't be one of the best survivalists because she is very light and she's tall.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Sooo....Wario can't be either because he is FAT
FAT? Wario is the smallest heavyweight (O_o), being the 8th heaviest with amazing horizontal DI and ungimpable recovery when there is no bike he is a much better survivor than Zamus. And Wario has unusual properties of a heavyweight. The only bad unusual heavyweight property is his range sucks (but his approach is amazing and his attack speed is unusual quick for a heavy character).

sasook

Smash Champion
DI + momentum cancel + upb boost jump + flipstool off an edgehogging person/a projectile + sideb/upb tether is why she's a great survivalist. Trust me, this is coming from a Link main (we all know how his recovery is) who consistently lives to 160% at least (no, my opponents don't suck, I just know how to DI and recover with him). Her recovery is great.

The only thing that holds her back IMO is her weight. The highest I've lived with her is about 150%, I usually can survive til about 135-140% most of the time with her.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
FAT? Wario is the smallest heavyweight (O_o), being the 8th heaviest with amazing horizontal DI and ungimpable recovery when there is no bike he is a much better survivor than Zamus. And Wario has unusual properties of a heavyweight. The only bad unusual heavyweight property is his range sucks (but his approach is amazing and his attack speed is unusual quick for a heavy character).
What Snakeee wanted to say with that is that you shouldn't underestimate Zero Suit Samus' recovery simply because of her weight respectively her... apparently huge size (*snicker*).
Meta Knight, Game and Watch, Kirby, Jigglypuff... all extremely light characters with amazing recoveries.

The weight or size doesn't make the recovery any better or worse. And although it's true that a Zamus will not survive as long on the same move as a Wario, she still can survive rather long compared to other characters of similar weight.

Top Bottom