• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to how ZSS is one of the best survivalists in the game...

Snakeee

Smash Master
First everyone thought that ZSS is easily gimped and has to rely only on her tether recovery. Actually, most people still do. Seems to me like the biggest complaint I've heard about ZSS is the most laughable one. The reason being is that few people have fully implemented her recovery, which is actually one of the best in the game. She has so many options on recovery. The main point of this topic is to show what exactly you need to be doing when you recover, and how she can survive even to the 200% range and above.

1. Up-B during your second jump - this is crucial and needs to be timed correctly. When you do it right you get a great boost from the second jump.

2. Down-B - this is obvious, but for newer ZSS players, realize that you control the direction of this move with the joystick. The next ,however, is less obvious....

3. Down-B footstool jump - when your opponent thinks they have you edgehogged, you can use the down-B footstool jump (press to jump during the down-B) to gain a great distance. The best part is that you can do this if you are further from them than you might think as it's range is much better than a normal footstool, and you barely have to be at their height. So when you see your opponent grab the edge get ready to do this.

On another note from the edge a ledge hop down-b footstool on an opponent edgeguarding from the stage can be very useful depending on their character.

So basically you have one "up B boosted" jump, one stalling type jump (down B), and one special footstool jump.
If you're still not going to make it to the edge you have the options to
1. Forward B them on your way down
2. Up B spike them from underneath. If you time this right you can still grab the edge with another Up-B after you spike them!
3. Hit the opponent with an aerial, usually b-air or up-air.
For all tactics make sure your opponent's invincibility from the edge has worn off.

Some more tips
-You want to generally recover slightly above the stage and usually forward B at the highest point you can grab the edge (which is higher than the stage). You should switch this up sometimes with recovering low, especially against characters that may hit you as you tether.
-I often use the Up-B Second jump, and sometimes the down B even if I dont need it to throw off my opponent and be able to space a good recovery.
-Try to save your jumps. I tend to edge guard very aggressively, yet I try to keep myself with options if my edge guarding backfires on me. If you're way off the stage and you've already used your 2nd jump and down B you are finished by a simple edge hog.
-DI is very important. This is a general rule, but due to James Sparrow stressing it I'll add it here. You want to try to DI a KO move generally into the top corners of the stage to survive. If you end up DIing downwards this is the worst thing you can do, and is the main way ZSS actually can be edge hogged. So try to realize what moves send you in what direction, and DI accordingly.

Theres also a little discovery I made but I don't know if it deserves it's own topic so I'll just list it here.
If you Up-B at the start of a footstool jump (including down-B footstool) she DOES get the height boost.

Now for surviving attacks that would normally KO ZSS even with proper DI.

- The down B I've recently found to have much more use in survival than using an aerial, but obviously only for horizontal survival. The down B is the fastest thing ZSS can do out of hitstun by far is to up air and then immediately down B . I've begun to survive at very high percents because of this. The main problem however, is that you waste your down B immediently and you lose the ability to do a down B footstool and other recovery options. For that reason, I typically only do this if I'm pretty sure that the attack will KO me by itself. I mash down and B as soon as I take the hit (while DIing of course). It's good to have good reaction time and quick fingers though, because you want to be able to stop pressing B as soon as you start the down B or else you'll do the attack out of it.

* UPDATE: This works only for recovering horizontally. If you do it near the top of the stage the Up B will actually kill you.

- The best way to avoid being killed vertically is DIing (left or right), and doing an up air (which is best done with the C-stick). The up air is the fastest aerial, and will break the hitlag easier than anything else. If you need to do the up air without the C-stick, be careful because holding up may cause you to die here.

Extra notes about Down B

- Down B escapes any sort of Weak hitstun. I don't know all the specifics, but weak hits are more easily broken out of.
- ZSS can escape chain grabs by some characters if you down B fast enough.
- For one example of how well it works, Chu Dat was unable to follow up with anything at all while I was at 0% with Kirby's forward throw o_O.

* I'm finding it impossible to down B out of Falco's cg now if it is buffered :(

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Another great thread by the awesome Snakeee!

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The only times I've ever been gimped are by the FD lip and once on Smashville, and after watching the replay a million times we still can't figure out why the whip never came out of my upB.

Her tether is too good to gimp, really.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Another great thread by the awesome Snakeee!

The only times I've ever been gimped are by the FD lip and once on Smashville, and after watching the replay a million times we still can't figure out why the whip never came out of my upB.

Her tether is too good to gimp, really.
That happened because FD is weird...if you Up-B at the wrong angle you won't grab the edge. I believe it happens with most characters.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Thank you for this. I'm gonna go and practice the DownB Footstool jump now.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
I think you're missing a crucial point, which is DI. If you DI a side knock back attack downward, you will be more likely to get edge hogged in a gimpy fashion. If you always have proper DI, the chances of you getting gimped are slim to none (assuming you do all the other things that snakee mentioned). I whole-heartedly agree with the post though. Good stuff Snakeeee.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
1. Up-B during your second jump - this is crucial and needs to be timed correctly. When you do it right you get a great boost from the second jump..
You can do a rising up-special out of your first jump as well... I think.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I think you're missing a crucial point, which is DI. If you DI a side knock back attack downward, you will be more likely to get edge hogged in a gimpy fashion. If you always have proper DI, the chances of you getting gimped are slim to none (assuming you do all the other things that snakee mentioned). I whole-heartedly agree with the post though. Good stuff Snakeeee.
Well yeah, that's pretty much a given. And thanks.

You can do a rising up-special out of your first jump as well... I think.
Yeah you can, and if you read the bottom of the post, I found out it works with footstool jumps too.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Theres also a little discovery I made but I don't know if it deserves it's own topic so I'll just list it here.
If you Up-B at the start of a footstool jump (including down-B footstool) she DOES get the height boost.
That's really awesome. Good find.

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
Yeah I noticed that today. I tried to do the same with Lucas's zap jump during a footstool, but I don't think it can be done.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Maybe a given for you or other decent players, but so many people that read these threads probably don't even know entirely what DI does or is.
Heh, yeah that's true. There are a lot of new players, but I really don't feel like having to explain basic things every time you know?

James Sparrow

Smash Master
IF people get gimped, it's because of bad DI though. They will be like "I DID EVERYTHING YOU SAID TO DO AND STILL DIED WAHH" and it's because they don't know how to DI. And yeah, that's not something you can explain to someone in a post like this. They have to have the knowledge, but knowing how it applies to this situation is essential imo. Idk, it's your thread so do what you want, but if you ask me, DI is more important than most of what you mentioned in terms of not getting gimped.

Garde

Smash Ace
I agree with James. Considering I play as Link, who has a ****ty recovery, DI is incredibly important (about 90% of what determines whether Link will make it back on stage or not).

With ZSS, if you DI properly, you'll never have to use all those options to get back. Hell, I've NEVER had to do the up+B midair jump trick before. If I get gimped, it's because I was doing something stupid where I had already expended my midair jump for gimping someone else, but I never get gimped when I get knocked off the stage by someone.

DI (when done properly at appropriate times) can get you out of combos, prevent you from getting outright KOed, can help with recovery for not getting outright KOed, and can help space you properly.

DI is NOT just holding a direction and moving around in the air. That's called air control, and one of the most basic elements of any SSB game. DI is when you're holding a direction at the moment you get sent at a trajectory via the knockback of anything. The most common direction you'll want to hold is 90 degrees (orthogonal, a right angle) from the default trajectory of the move, but that is not always the ideal direction to DI. At lower %, DIing in the exact same direction as mid- or low-knockback moves often increases your chance of escaping follow up attacks. Also, depending on your placement on the stage, and the stage size, and your character weight, DIing is not always ideal for surviving potential KOs. If you're at 130% as ZSS on the left edge of FD and get hit by a powerful move that sends you right, do not DI upward, because you have a MUCH higher chance of getting Star KOed than you do of flying all the way across FD off the stage, and to the right boundary.

Back in Melee, my Link survived up to 280% regularly against most of the high and top tier characters due to proper DI and good recovery tactics. Knowing how a move is going to launch you is the MOST important part about DIing properly. The second most important thing about DIing is knowing which way to DI, or if DI is necessary or even a good idea, which comes from experience in DIing improperly and learning what helps you and what doesn't. There is no real guide, but the guidelines in this post are pretty **** solid for anyone who hasn't spent time learning about it.

The main reason why the better ZSS players don't get gimped easily is because on top of ZSS's incredible recovery options, they also have a good understanding of how DI works and how to apply it. She just has a lot more tools at her disposal than just about any other character. Link in this game has horrible options, and even if you DI correctly, he can easily be gimped, but ZSS pretty much has a 99% success rate at recovering when DIing properly.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If I get gimped, it's because I was doing something stupid where I had already expended my midair jump for gimping someone else, but I never get gimped when I get knocked off the stage by someone.
Truer words have never been said. This is where the large majority of gimps on me occur.

Snakeee

Smash Master
The point of the topic was to explain what ZSS can do to recover and go against what people are saying about how she is easily edge hogged. What you guys are mentioning are important, but they're more universal. And what Garde and Ph00tbag were just saying is true too. You need to try to conserve your jumps.
EDIT: Ok I added some more tips and kept in mind what you guys were saying.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I have to Bump this because people aren't getting the message....plus that other stupid topic about the same thing but doesn't make sense is getting too much attention

M@v

Subarashii!
Nice find! The xtra boost from up b reminds me of the jump boost that fox gets when using his fair the same way. I'll start implementing this new info asap, I need to get better with zamus...wanna make her a main if I can.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Instead of making a new topic, I decided to make this one thread with both the old stuff and my new findings. I'm very happy to say that ZSS is actually one of the hardest characters to KO in the game despite her light weight. In addition to having an extremely versatile recovery, her D-air and down B both change her momentum enough to have her survive up to and beyond 200%!

Sudai

Stuff here
I was under the impression that DAiring out of hitstun would have -no- effect on momentum. Any momentum altering aerial is the same. Is there some special property to ZSS's that makes it so her momentum is altered? If not, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. UAir > DAir. UAir to get me back into control and DAir to keep me from dieing off the top.

Snakeee

Smash Master
It works. You can see her slow down with the D-air if it's done while shes still on the screen.
And Down B to survive horizontally is a MUST when you know the attack would kill you otherwise.
Not only does it break the momentum, but it sends you back towards the stage as well. It's far more useful than anything else you can do.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Uair has actually been found to be better than dair, Snakeee. The reason for this is that while dair makes you fall faster, you start to fast fall later than you would if you held down while performing a uair with the C-stick. That is to say, a ff uair provides greater survivability against upwards momentum than dair. Check out Ulevo's thread on aerials for survival in Brawl Tactical.

I agree that Flip Jump is most likely better than an aerial for survival off the side, though.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Well no matter what I'm 100% sure on the flip jump being amazing and the best choice for horizontal recovery :)
I guess up air is better then d-air though, but it seems like it slows her down a lot.
That topic didn't even mention flip jumps though, and even if the momentum change wasn't as effective as I thought it is still the fastest thing she can do out of hitstun.

I edited out the D-air on the first page.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I've said since day one her recovery is one of the best. People who think she is easy to gimp are just foolish. Easily the hardest of the tethers to gimp, for several reasons. However, the thing abuot 200%, you where exagerating right? Even with her good recovery she is still somewhat light. Against people with good vertical kills she still has some trouble.

Not saying your wrong, I just can't see 200, I usually get to 180 at best against enemies with decent KO power.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I've honestly survived to around 250% range on neutral stages. Is that likely? Of course not, but it's happened. On average I'd say around 130 - 170% is where I end up losing a stock.

And I'm pretty sure you can down B out of Falco's CG at 0% if you do it at the earliest point possible. I keep pressing down B to be safe, but if you do this make sure you don't do the attack out of it which is a bit hard not to.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
I've honestly survived to around 250% range on neutral stages. Is that likely? Of course not, but it's happened. On average I'd say around 150 - 180% is where I end up losing a stock.

And I'm pretty sure you can down B out of Falco's CG at 0% if you do it at the earliest point possible. I keep pressing down B to be safe, but if you do this make sure you don't do the attack out of it which is a bit hard not to.
Wicked. That goes a looong way in the Falco match... the lasers disrupting the spacing game was bad enough without getting chaingrabbed to 40 when you close the distance and make a mistake. That could also save me from the grab chain to spike to instant ledgehog combo that is just death to ZSS.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Yeah, also crawling removes the laser spam problem...the match up is becoming so much easier. I think I'll change that to at least even soon.

EDIT: Eh I exaggerated a bit on my average death so I changed it lol

LordMars

Smash Rookie
I've honestly survived to around 250% range on neutral stages. Is that likely? Of course not, but it's happened. On average I'd say around 130 - 170% is where I end up losing a stock.

The percentage until you get kicked out of the stage often depends on the skills of the opponent and the character he has, I kinda often get kicked out brawling versus a good lucas, considering his smashes can kill you with 60%.

But yeah, good tutorial for newcomers to survive a bit longer, had some major problems with that, too when I started playing ZSS

Cheers

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, also crawling removes the laser spam problem...the match up is becoming so much easier. I think I'll change that to at least even soon.

EDIT: Eh I exaggerated a bit on my average death so I changed it lol
Definitely. I recently realized that the first d-tilt you do out of a backwards crawl still hits in front of you, which has got me using it a lot more now.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Each time someone tells me they don't like ZSS because of her recovery, I die a little inside.

Bouse

Smash Ace
When I didn't know how to DI I sucked nutsacks at playing her. Then I asked Snakeee what DI'ing properly actually was... the convo went something like this...

Bouse: So I've learned to do the DAC, Broken Dash, and all these odd techs like Glide Tossing. But when I DI towards the stage and stuff I can't seem to do it right.
Snakeee: Wait... so say you got hit straight right... how do you DI?
Bouse: Left?
Snakeee: You newbies really love learning to run before you can crawl don't you?
Bouse: Hrm?
Snakeee: *explanation of DI*
Bouse: That explains why it hasn't been working the way I've wanted it to.
Snakeee: And you'll thank me in a little bit.

*One week later*

Bouse: DI'ing properly is awesome!
Snakeee: ^____________________________________________________________^

FBM

Smash Apprentice

I finally got around to playing my brother's Falco and trying this out and DAYUM does it help a lot!!! The matchup is so much less frightening when you remove all things that Falco can do out of grabs. Thanks a ton Snakeee!

Top Bottom