• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

idea

Smash Master
i went looking for it, it was literally still in my bag from the last tournament. if i forget my entire bag with clothes, controller and food then i don't deserve to go :laugh:

sauc3

Smash Lord
lol i dont actually mean puffs free, but having played both sides of the matchup i'd pick fox ANYDAY, he has so much more control over her stupid face

Sliq

Smash Master
No.

Also, I was looking through Ryan's Pound 3 photo albums on facebook and holy ****... EVERYBODY was at that tournament. Just off the top of my head right now: Mango, M2K, Forward, Wobbles, Cort, PC, Husband, Wife, Overtriforce, Strawhat Dahean, Darkrain, Dope, Sliq, Azen, Jman, Hax, Silent Wolf, Chu, Chillin, Neo, Hugs, Cactuar, chaddd, Plank and bunch of others. So glad I was there lol
Not only was I there, but I was in a Jigglypuff costume.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
at a glance kyle, i was watching you and james vs the luigi's and i read about your troubles vs them and i thought i'd point out a few things that may only apply to dubs but may also apply in 1v1s

-you (seem to) forget that luigi can sh 2 aerials... you always let your shield down after his first hit whether it's fair/dair and you get hit by the nair/fair after it. on one or two occasions tho you attempted to block both and got poked LOL but that happened later in the set you should've still been blocking full hits =p

-you maybe don't know luigi's traction well enough? he slides for days but still has a decent cc game. you can't do much vs him with nair/softnair/fair at low % and you gotta just space bairs (i know, bair, but still) cuz if he blocks it then you're safe from his OOS options (watch for wd oos) but a lot of times you hit him with a soft attack and the luigi just retaliated and hit you back

-james had good moments when he aerial'd oos vs luigi's double shffl cuz imo peach's nair oos is good enough to handle it (bias on this cuz i know peach better than puff lol)

-a LOT of times, you guys approached them/their shields and got hit for it...being a floaty matchup the poke count matters and you guys gotta make sure yo uguys get more hits... esp since you're a puff.

-you shouldn't take so many risks with rest... you can't combo into it really and they have lots of punishes as you saw lol

-you guys should understand how predictable and how limited luigi's movement is. a lot of the time they just wd'd up to you guys and hit you. like on stadium i think the luigi's did: wd -> jab -> wdback -> jab -> wd upb LOL on james.... you guys can easily interrupt their path with spaced bair/fair and turnip/peach's dsmash. i felt like you guys didn't keep them away enough.

-their platform game was really nice. i haven't experienced it really (coolhat did a lot better vs my peach on fd, for obv reasons), i felt like if you guys had just kept stage control/under them it would have gone better.

-i felt like james didn't turnip enough esp on stadium. there were a few times you sh -> threw turnip -> attempted to aerial like you would vs. other chars.... but vs. luigi you just gotta throw it in their wd path and it really keeps them away.

-there was a time on stadium kyle where you kept a luigi out with bairs but then got punished asap when you naired instead. don't know if that was a mistake..... and sry these ideas are just coming as i remember i'm not really putting them in order.

-i honestly feel like rolling vs. luigi's can be really safe. since you guys are floaties there isn't much they can do. you guys let them aerial -> jab jab you guys a lot and you guys take unnecessary hits. if you guys just roll, they have to call your roll and punish with a wd -> something (and even then it'd probably only be one hit since you're not a spacie (where they could grab -> aerial, or dsmash -> something)) and they can't dash cuz of momentum vs their traction

-speaking of grabs, kyle you di'd some of luigi's throws awkwardly esp his dthrow i think.... i don't think they can legit follow up on a puff at the % you were at but i can't rmmbr atm so sorry

-imo you guys should've won on stadium. they had some lucky *** combos in that game that shouldn't have worked LOL

-you fsmash rather risky. i'd just bair :awesome:

-you can also super bait luigi. they're always gonna mash nair vs you. and just hit them for it. dair/fair they actually have to time since it doesn't last as long as nair so you won't see it as often.

those are just my ideas. i haven't played coolhate in ages. these are just my opinions sorry if some of them are like... totally wrong LOL i don't understand puff as much as peach or luigi (i got kickass mario bros :awesome: ask kurtis :troll: but i honestly feel like puff has WAYYY more than enough assets to **** luigi and it's not quite worth your time to practise falco/sheik for the matchup

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
-you guys also got hit quite a few times from luigi's ledgehop -> stuff. the fairs/dairs should be kinda predictable and their ledge hop is super slow. being floaties you guys should be able to just wait for them.

-you guys also don't recover high. when you guys recover low luigi's can jank edgeguards with run off -> aerial but when yo uguys recover high they honestly have no way of chasing you guys

-i'm surprised they didn't ban bf. i think coolhat immediately bans that stage... iirc.

these are just my opinion again xD of course it's not to discredit their play. they coordinate each other reallyw ell. you guys lack luigi experience. play mine! :troll:

you'll get them next time =D

edit: more note...

@8:40 is like the prime example of how turnip shuts down luigi's approaches. james you sorta didn't turnip as much as you probably could've i don't know why you didn't keep doing it more D: unless you did or got punished at some point and i just missed it

kyle you also sd'd last stock that sucks =( probably would've ended differently. when does puff need to ledgedash tho? so many better options :awesome:

buut yeah. you guys probably could have aimed towards a more separating game. i just noticed how well their coordination is LOLOL dammm. either way, luigi doesn't have a DD really (like fox, for example =p) so imo his approaches are quite predictable. he has to wd -> something. a lot of times the luigi's wd -> dash/moonwalk -> wd again. just turnip or bair their path :)

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
They both understand the match ups and the characters better than we did...and adapted accordingly to a lot of our strategies. We gave up on a lot of things quite quickly...You're right about turnips, I did need to throw more (I figured that out on the battlefield stage) but by then it was too late cause we got CP'd to a smaller stage where I couldn't do much after. As far as the wavedash to stuff or the jabs...honestly a lot of the time I was paying attention to other things or they caught me in lag really...their stage control and movement was really beastly and hard to keep up with (you'll see in singles...I had to play Vudujin and Kyle had to play Abate I believe). I dunno, I'll have to play the match up a lot more but I'm starting to understand it now anyway...those fake out approaches still get me though...in singles he Vudujin got my beam sabre and I had like absolutely no way to get in, it sucked.

In the end though, comparing them to coolhat is just..yeah man...coolhat ain't got nothin on these weegees at all, they have my respect really.

Yeah, all 3 of us lost to some good Luigi players with hardly any experience in the match-up <.<.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
i see i see. i'm only comparing to coolhat cuz he's the only luigi i've played i'm not saying he's as good lol.

but yeah, my next questionw as what did you guys ban? i would've been ape**** over banning yoshis... you are puff and peach and they clearly have super mobility xD you don't want to let them cp a stage they can travel across in one wd

you'll get them next time =D

oh, and plus, by nature of you and kyle i know you (james) don't really like crowding in 2v2, so i'd imagine banning the smallest stage =\
did luigilover62 get to play them? LOL

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
It was either that or FD, and I'd rather the chaos than FD vs 2 Luigi...I am pretty sure that's what we banned...

Those were my thoughts...I think Kyle said that they struck Yoshi's so he didn't think they'd go.

I went FD vs Vudujin in singles =\ big mistake there.

idea

Smash Master
thanks jack, that all sounds about right. i know about his double aerial from a short hop thing but i guess i forgot to take it into account.

puff doesn't need to wavedash from the edge, i just like it. it's not bad or anything, as long as you don't suicide :p that bair bair bair **** is so boring that i do everything i can to win differently.

james, i had to play both luigis in singles :p the first luigi i can remember ever playing in tournament was coolhat, around a year ago, and i lost a close set to him too. vudu was 2nd and abate was 3rd.

but yeah, they're both good, especially vudu.

like you said (james), i really didn't want to go to yoshi's in teams but i thought we were safe since they struck it. mindgames...?

you're probably right (jack) that i can just learn it with jiggs, and i guess i'll try, but i played them both with falco in friendlies and i was doing way way better. like they had to keep low % to death comboing me to keep up. and they did lol. and i lost most of the matches in the end. but still.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Sweet V anyone?

if anyone is driving can I hop in the car? you have to come right past london anyway >_>

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
jack gave me a controller that I used for 2 days. It's pretty good, but I still excessively **** up from not being used to it.
hope you like it overall :)

It was either that or FD, and I'd rather the chaos than FD vs 2 Luigi...I am pretty sure that's what we banned...

Those were my thoughts...I think Kyle said that they struck Yoshi's so he didn't think they'd go.

I went FD vs Vudujin in singles =\ big mistake there.
i'd prefer the chaos IF they didn't have super coordination =\ first two games would've made me ban ys for last game imo

lol yeah i learned a whiles back that fd with peach is baaaaaaad vs. luigi. he loves no platforms there and his aerial game ***** with all that space + wd on ground

thanks jack, that all sounds about right. i know about his double aerial from a short hop thing but i guess i forgot to take it into account.

puff doesn't need to wavedash from the edge, i just like it. it's not bad or anything, as long as you don't suicide :p that bair bair bair **** is so boring that i do everything i can to win differently.

james, i had to play both luigis in singles :p the first luigi i can remember ever playing in tournament was coolhat, around a year ago, and i lost a close set to him too. vudu was 2nd and abate was 3rd.

but yeah, they're both good, especially vudu.

like you said (james), i really didn't want to go to yoshi's in teams but i thought we were safe since they struck it. mindgames...?

you're probably right (jack) that i can just learn it with jiggs, and i guess i'll try, but i played them both with falco in friendlies and i was doing way way better. like they had to keep low % to death comboing me to keep up. and they did lol. and i lost most of the matches in the end. but still.
lol super mindgames. that is good reason to go there tho cuz them striking it usually means they don't like it. but i'd imagine you don't awnt puff there more since she dies so early =\

Probably bussing, once the tickets pop (and if they're cheap) we jumping on a bunch of them.
when is sweet v?

idea

Smash Master
lol nevermind david/james, i don't wanna come over any time soon. my cold got a lot worse since i got home, probably 'cause now i'm not busy with video games and sleeping in cold attics and my body can focus on fighting it. my cold was basically gone before i left for the tournament too :p

edit: also josh, is your car full for apex or what

Top Bottom