• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
Posting the results now, I have the tio files and such.

Sorry if it takes me a little while to upload the videos, I have to edit the footage, render and my computer isn't that great so it may take a few days :p

Also sorry about the stream, the internet randomly cut out, was a fun experience although I think I'll just bring a recording set-up next time :p

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Heh, yeah, thanks for doing all the work. Recording rather than streaming might be better because (I think) we'd get a better frame rate and wouldn't have to worry about shoddy A&C internet.

Also, let me know if you need help with stuff in the future, but you can probably do this faster than the rest of us if you already have experience with youtube let's play's and whatnot.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
I rendered most of the bracket videos, I have about 11 ready to upload, but YouTube is being slower than usual today so they might not go up for a little while. Rendering the rest but I made sure to get the singles' bracket videos first and then I'll upload the pools and doubles.

Nevermind about the few days though :p all the video should be up in a day or two, I think, maybe. I just need to render the last batch and upload, I edited everything last night so I shouldn't take as long as Drekken :p.

idea

Smash Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPWdNnvcamA
- james and i (red) vs...i guess kurtis and windrose? but i don't remember windrose playing marth so maybe it was someone else using kurtis' tag. possibly eternal + someone as blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndkevr5p73U
- based on playstyle and colours it looks a lot like eternal vs. bernal. not sure if pools or bracket
edit: they were in the same pool, it's probably that.

Engo

Smash Ace
It's definitely me vs eternal but he 2-0'd me and that video is 11 minutes long so I dunno if it's a pools match. I'm going to check the stream and see if this is pools

We had tags in our pools match. This is just friendlies vs eternal.

Has anyone heard of the new visa debit cards you can use to shop online with your own money? Would it be possible to pay for a swf subscription with those

idea

Smash Master
that sounds cool

right now what i do is have a separate bank account which is approved to transfer money to my paypal account. which is my way of buying things over the internet without a credit card.

idea

Smash Master
ohh okay, that makes more sense.

lol the falco is definitely me, i remember going all the way down there with no jump to try and shine james, with absolutely no chance of either of us surviving :bee:

edit: okay then i just remember trying to save fox

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
Did Kurtis and I not play on the recording setup tv?

Kyle, he just said it was Camilo on your team lol. I never played any doubles friendlies with you guys at all.

Also watch our doubles matches and pay attention to me (Pretend you're playing as me and trying to make decisions etc) you might understand what I was saying about our sets and spacing/decision making.

watching them again, I felt really constricted...like I couldn't do anything out of fear of getting hit by 3 people. In a lot of situations where we have the upper hand in spacing you kinda don't recognize my presence on the stage at all (granted I hit you a lot too) but like you always wanted to be the one to do stuff when it wasn't necessary. Any time I decided to forfeit that fear and rush in to rescue you (if you needed it) I'd get combo'd by the 3 of you (or you'd throw out a panic kill move and kill me with it). Any time I was afraid of that they'd ignore me and just **** 2 of your stocks before 1 of mine...I don't mind you playing Falco in teams, that wasn't what I was saying...it's just that with a character with that much power/etc you need a bit more situational awareness.

At the end of the set vs Jethrotex and Bernal, I found it my spacing super weird even when it was just bernal on the stage...and that feeling came back too...it was because you were walking around me and not actively doing anything but threatening to throw out a move so I spaced as to not get hit by what you would throw out...All of a sudden he's on a platform tech rolling or something and I am floating underneath it ready to cover every thing with a sweep n-air then you threw out a kill move at me when it was sorta taken care of. I dunno, you may think nothing of it since it missed but I'm pretty sure the nervousness I felt watching that was the same feeling I had during moments like those and I just stopped doing things that I should because of that fear.

We also need some sorta edgeguarding rule between us because anytime I put someone in an edgeguard position you try and take it over. Granted the fact that Falco has an easier time and is overall better at it; sometimes you just randomly abandon your spacing war with the other person to take over my edeguard...and honestly it's better for you to take the 1v1 than lure the enemy to my side to save his partner. A lot of times you'd stand in the way and do nothing when there's something I can cover (that I started too). Then there are situations like vs Ryan/David that I am stuck in the middle of two foxes on one side of battlefield and you're on the other with a fresh stock just shooting lasers with no presence to them whatsoever...lasers help ya, but without your body somewhat within spacing distance of a move to break everything up they will just ignore you for days. You could even just wait on platforms (it would be good in both cases: trying to pressure them & save me/pressuring their options during a spacing war with me) instead of just jumping in and trying to hit right away or just staying super far away.

Anyway, yeah...I'll just bring it back to what you said to me about your fox at the end of one of the sets. "I can't really do much when it's apparent that I'm the worst spacie on the stage" (obv not direct quotation or w/e) but I think that reguardless of who you team with in the future you need to not try and be a hero but to try and play a smarter teams game. If you're going to be a hero, then you need to drop the feeling of being the worst space animal and hit every one of your combos/ideas, that way your partner will be confident enough to let you 2v1 (sorta). Idk everything in moderation...we all need to get better anyway.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
Don't think so, I looked through the stuff again. Maybe it was unplugged during that?

Anyways, everything should be going up soon, I just have to decipher what happened in Grand Finals so I can upload that :p I'll make a video thread soon.

But yeah, I'm gonna put a sign for players to wear tags and for there to only be tournament matches on that T.V next time, it's hard to figure out what's a friendly or a tournament match like that as well as who is who.

Ministry

Smash Ace

Kyle, he just said it was Camilo on your team lol. I never played any doubles friendlies with you guys at all.

Also watch our doubles matches and pay attention to me (Pretend you're playing as me and trying to make decisions etc) you might understand what I was saying about our sets and spacing/decision making.

watching them again, I felt really constricted...like I couldn't do anything out of fear of getting hit by 3 people. In a lot of situations where we have the upper hand in spacing you kinda don't recognize my presence on the stage at all (granted I hit you a lot too) but like you always wanted to be the one to do stuff when it wasn't necessary. Any time I decided to forfeit that fear and rush in to rescue you (if you needed it) I'd get combo'd by the 3 of you (or you'd throw out a panic kill move and kill me with it). Any time I was afraid of that they'd ignore me and just **** 2 of your stocks before 1 of mine...I don't mind you playing Falco in teams, that wasn't what I was saying...it's just that with a character with that much power/etc you need a bit more situational awareness.

At the end of the set vs Jethrotex and Bernal, I found it my spacing super weird even when it was just bernal on the stage...and that feeling came back too...it was because you were walking around me and not actively doing anything but threatening to throw out a move so I spaced as to not get hit by what you would throw out...All of a sudden he's on a platform tech rolling or something and I am floating underneath it ready to cover every thing with a sweep n-air then you threw out a kill move at me when it was sorta taken care of. I dunno, you may think nothing of it since it missed but I'm pretty sure the nervousness I felt watching that was the same feeling I had during moments like those and I just stopped doing things that I should because of that fear.

We also need some sorta edgeguarding rule between us because anytime I put someone in an edgeguard position you try and take it over. Granted the fact that Falco has an easier time and is overall better at it; sometimes you just randomly abandon your spacing war with the other person to take over my edeguard...and honestly it's better for you to take the 1v1 than lure the enemy to my side to save his partner. A lot of times you'd stand in the way and do nothing when there's something I can cover (that I started too). Then there are situations like vs Ryan/David that I am stuck in the middle of two foxes on one side of battlefield and you're on the other with a fresh stock just shooting lasers with no presence to them whatsoever...lasers help ya, but without your body somewhat within spacing distance of a move to break everything up they will just ignore you for days. You could even just wait on platforms (it would be good in both cases: trying to pressure them & save me/pressuring their options during a spacing war with me) instead of just jumping in and trying to hit right away or just staying super far away.

Anyway, yeah...I'll just bring it back to what you said to me about your fox at the end of one of the sets. "I can't really do much when it's apparent that I'm the worst spacie on the stage" (obv not direct quotation or w/e) but I think that reguardless of who you team with in the future you need to not try and be a hero but to try and play a smarter teams game. If you're going to be a hero, then you need to drop the feeling of being the worst space animal and hit every one of your combos/ideas, that way your partner will be confident enough to let you 2v1 (sorta). Idk everything in moderation...we all need to get better anyway.
sounds like johns to me.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Then there are situations like vs Ryan/David that I am stuck in the middle of two foxes on one side of battlefield and you're on the other with a fresh stock just shooting lasers with no presence to them whatsoever...lasers help ya, but without your body somewhat within spacing distance of a move to break everything up they will just ignore you for days. You could even just wait on platforms (it would be good in both cases: trying to pressure them & save me/pressuring their options during a spacing war with me) instead of just jumping in and trying to hit right away or just staying super far away.
This is the moment he's talking about here and I agree. You had to like... give us a reason to not gang-**** the Peach. If I didn't roll into Ryan's bair then that situation would have probably gone a lot worse.

Can't be afraid dude.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
This is the moment he's talking about here and I agree. You had to like... give us a reason to not gang-**** the Peach. If I didn't roll into Ryan's bair then that situation would have probably gone a lot worse.

Can't be afraid dude.
If it's one thing I learned from Mango, it's exactly that. He definitely put that into perspective for me, he showed me a new light.

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Don't think so, I looked through the stuff again. Maybe it was unplugged during that?

Anyways, everything should be going up soon, I just have to decipher what happened in Grand Finals so I can upload that :p I'll make a video thread soon.

But yeah, I'm gonna put a sign for players to wear tags and for there to only be tournament matches on that T.V next time, it's hard to figure out what's a friendly or a tournament match like that as well as who is who.
Or we could have people wear the tags "NOT" "TRNY" if they're playing friendlies on stream.

...I'm only half kidding, actually. At any rate I think this'll work well enough. Just like how you have to change the names on the stream every time a new match is played, we can tell people to use tags before the set starts.

EDIT: Was the commentary audio stream only sent to the Twitch stream and not the video capture program? I swear I saw people commentating during pools.

idea

Smash Master
lol okay that does look pretty dumb watching it now. i guess i was thinking that if i could start comboing the one fox you'd only have one to deal with the other one and would probably be okay.

i think i need to start just staring at my teammate in teams. i tend to pay more attention to the other team and i probably shouldn't be doing that. i guess i'm just not sure how to get close enough to you to protect you without also getting hit by peach moves.

alright, so wanna pick out the specific parts you were talking about in this one?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqMQ9awAamc

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Was the commentary audio stream only sent to the Twitch stream and not the video capture program? I swear I saw people commentating during pools.
Yeah, I still have the videos, so when I get the chance I can rip the audio off of Twitch and add it to the videos.

Also, I'm uploading Grand Finals now.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
So I'm actually thinking of going to the Big house since it's a lot closer than I thought it would be. My plan is to go to Toronto first or something and then ride with someone there. Does anyone have room in their car / can house me for a night or something? It would be awesome!

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
As far as the spacing goes to *not get hit by me* you don't have to worry so much about that, that's my issue. You just have to gauge when it's necessary for you to do something. (More often than not in situations that call for a quick response where I have no space...to space...I'll probably peel off and let you take care of things.

@2:04 ...notice I have no space, I COULD throw out a move since it would cause chaos and possible dmg, but I walked away because you were there. I.e, I am watching for you and I know when it's better for me to walk away from a situation than to cause you pointless dmg.

The situation following that where bernal is trapped between us: again you don't have to worry about my spacing, once we knock away the other member I won't be throwing things out in a way that would cause you to get hit or mess up your combo. All I was doing there was option coverage; Jethrotex came back so I decided it was best to knock him away again since it was just a fox that was in a tech-chase position vs a falco.

@2:30 ish...I grabbed and was waiting for you to punish. You were already perfectly spaced, you need to pay attention to stuff like that (especially as puff) we have limited time as it is to execute.

Everything during the 2v1 at the end of the first match was bad. You kept jumping around in my space and I couldn't do anything, so that's why I decided to be the option coverage/support again. I went out cause there was nothing he could really do to stop me from hitting him and I wanted to give you the means to punish him when he came on stage...but yeah; tech failure? idk, you can do simple things too. You ended the match with a good option, you think well when you're on your own, which is why I stayed out of your space.

At the beginning of the first match, it is quite obvious that they want to try and take you down as quickly as possible because...face it you're falco. I gave you space again because you kept interrupting both of them regardless of you meaning to or not. See where I placed myself tho? I stood right in the landing path of the dash off platform range as u were comboing Jethrotex because if they both stayed there they'd get down air'd together. I could have thrown a move out but why bother? I can just as easily catch one of them as they run away from you and I take 50% less damage in the mean time.

@3:30~3:36: was good on your part, you trusted my spacing and noticed that I wanted to do something...Not sure if you noticed your own % but you kept shielding which was good.

@3:40: I killed you...mah bad. I thought you'd continue hold the ledge and let me take care of it since his recovery options were pretty limited and in that position your punish options were even more limited. Bernal was gone so we had the time to cut off all of his options.

@3:42: that's is exactly what I need you to do. If I am in the middle of a combo, gtfo don't throw out any moves to try and help. If I got interrupted, your presence on the top platform would have given you any punish you wanted on the fox since the only person that would have hit me was peach and then they'd both be in an unfavorable position.

@3:51: Another situation where you can understand that you don't have to worry about me hitting you. I am watching what you're doing and just trying to cover his only option under that pressure.

@3:58: Again, good shield. You trusted me (I think?)

@4:10: mah bad, didn't think you'd illusion into the chaos...I don't think it's that good of an option on yoshi's during teams tbh anyway tho. Everyone had the power to kill you with a random move. Idk what else you could have thought to do under the situation tho was still my fault.

@5:30 Onward: Seriously, you're standing right inside of me...I can't space anything and it doesn't cover much. If I'm fighting just lemmie fight then punish him for anything laggy he does.

@5:38: Sure, we're up 3 stocks or w/e and sillyness is cool but I had it covered. Was nervous from all of the walking around in my space you did and I knew you'd throw it out so I just dropped the float. He may be down a lot but accidents like those may cause sudden losses if it were against say Ryan or Camilo or any good fox in our community. <_< as you can tell I was kind of annoyed, as I stopped bothering to move. I find a lot of situations you very badly want to "stuff" so I move and let you do stuff, however this is part of the reason I believe we dropped that game to the CPU guy. Granted neither of us were very serious but it was a serious problem that continues to reoccur in your teams mentality. You run in, get juggled by the other team lose the stock and say, that its cause you aren't good with the character or what not...it's just that you don't pick your battles properly or understand when you're at a disadvantage. I remember that game pretty clearly...I'd see you jump in the middle of everything with a fresh stock while I was doing fine at high %, then you'd proceed to take 60% dmg for no reason and die pretty shortly after. Even if it was your falcon, you should take note of why you lose each stock so fast before rushing into the same fate the next stock. Even as Fox I felt like I had to step back, and sometimes that honestly causes us to lose a lot of ground where we would otherwise be fine.
In our set with the Fox and Falco who's names I forgot...the reason I died is because you b-air'd me at high% after I cleared one of them and the other one was shielding. I don't care if I die if you use me as bait for something but at least let them throw out a laggy move to end me so you can end them quickly, 2v1 there's no reason u have to keep throwing out moves.

Also see your last stock in the first game vs ryan&david (Your actual stock, not the one u took from me). Fix those goddamn lasers or you're b& from Falco in teams with me, <_< no reason it should have even been up ABOVE the platform on battlefield.

Top Bottom