• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Bing

Smash Master
Okay so I was messing around with my Marth, playing against a level 9 Ganon and I was about to get a JV 5 stock when he phantom jabbed me... ftl... I dunno whats more amusing, that fact that I was 1 hit away from a JV 5 stock on a level 9 Ganon or the phantom Jab part...

JPOBS

Smash Hero
$10 on camillo vs kage.
Ok. Kurtis just won the thread. The little details in this post...it's beautiful. It practically appreciates itself. 5/5. Would read again. Not sarcastic. I had a pretty big lol.

:phone:
lmao I know. I seriously had many lols to that post.

Ministry

Smash Ace
why do u waste all ur time learning bad characters when u could just focus on ur main?

practice spacing and timing, and move properties

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Oh my god Armada won BEAST 2?!

This is so unexpected!

Oh my god Zgetto and Ice got 3rd and 2nd respectively?!

Also unexpected!

Europe coming in strong with the unpredictable results!

Rikana

Smash Champion
Kyle are you still hosting today? This may be my last day of showing up more often for smash. Sadface.

Windrose

Smash Lord
ooh, There was not really much discussion about that.

But yeah, we'll see. With no Andrea there might be a chance for you :p
you should only put me on a crew if you want to give out some free stocks. Or troll the opponent. Denver broncos! ! ! ! !

Bing

Smash Master
why do u waste all ur time learning bad characters when u could just focus on ur main?

practice spacing and timing, and move properties
Actually, I dont waste much time at all, considering I generally put in about 4-6 hours of practice. Messing around with Roy is just a break inbetween. I tend to get bored of practicing with the same 3 characters, that being Marth, Fox and Falco so I throw in a bit of a few other characters here and there to help some of the hrbgakg. I dunno, just helps. And By Using Roy, its same general principle but different so yeah.

On Another note, theres going to be crews at the Montreal tournament? Is there a crew list I could see?

Rikana

Smash Champion
Wow. Brawl sold 10mil+ copies. Mk9 sold 3m+. Mvc3 sold 2m+ blah blah blah. Didn't know brawl was that huge of a success.. /: this will probably encourage sakurai to make it more brawl like.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
That was the entire direction of Brawl anyways, catered towards a casual audience, which means more capita.

Thing is, it's not the casual players that will still be running Brawl 3 years later, it will be the competitive ones, who he decided to have out-prioritized.

Besides a money-oriented marketing strategy, there are no other profitable reasons to target only a particular section of players.

Bing

Smash Master
No. it is a secret

;-; Is there going to be a stream? I wanna watch this ****! I mean... M2K... Kage... VWins...The Gta and like... A few Niagara players too. This is actually looking like a great tournament... Better then MIST.

And Yes, Brawl is strictly for casual players, Like, to be honest, not hating on Brawl, but I can garuntee, it takes longer to get to the Melee top then Brawl. And Brawl running in 3 years is just like Melee, Competetive players only, a few casuals who cant afford a new system, such as myself(not that I want Brawl Anyways)

idea

Smash Master
just to be safe...this is kyle, not ryan :p

Kyle are you still hosting today? This may be my last day of showing up more often for smash. Sadface.

yeah, but please bring a cube/melee. also even though i'm hosting, we may be more inclined to play non-smash games...just saying. yesterday consisted of us watching andrea play smrpg for, by her count, 15 straight hours.

Besides a money-oriented marketing strategy, there are no other profitable reasons to target only a particular section of players.
the dragon quest franchise would like a word with you :bee:

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
the dragon quest franchise would like a word with you :bee:
I worded it awkwardly.

Casual gamers usually make up the majority of a community, and Smash is definitely no exception. In fact, this probably applies to us more than it does other communities for different fighters.

So, besides money steering the course for a game, what other possible outcomes are there that are not directly detrimental? "For fun" probably goes hand in hand with money and making it more accessible to a larger, less-skilled group of players, or you can make it competitive, which ensures quality, but not necessarily sales.

The hardcore and casual demographics may be split, but I don't see Nintendo's reasoning behind making Brawl a watered-down version of Melee, aside from serious sales coming in for a new console.

If a game is good, usually that's enough motive for casual or hardcore gamers to try it out. Melee might've been harder, but with enough time, dedication, and effort, you'll get better, and that also works for a universal number of activities.

I'm going off in tangents here, but Brawl had the potential to be really good, and look at how large a community of 10 years has gotten, and an extremely high learning curve game have gone.

*Edit* I'm also unfamiliar with Dragon Quest. Was their development geared towards a good quality game?

idea

Smash Master
I worded it awkwardly.

Casual gamers usually make up the majority of a community, and Smash is definitely no exception. In fact, this probably applies to us more than it does other communities for different fighters.

So, besides money steering the course for a game, what other possible outcomes are there that are not directly detrimental? "For fun" probably goes hand in hand with money and making it more accessible to a larger, less-skilled group of players, or you can make it competitive, which ensures quality, but not necessarily sales.

The hardcore and casual demographics may be split, but I don't see Nintendo's reasoning behind making Brawl a watered-down version of Melee, aside from serious sales coming in for a new console.

If a game is good, usually that's enough motive for casual or hardcore gamers to try it out. Melee might've been harder, but with enough time, dedication, and effort, you'll get better, and that also works for a universal number of activities.

I'm going off in tangents here, but Brawl had the potential to be really good, and look at how large a community of 10 years has gotten, and an extremely high learning curve game have gone.

*Edit* I'm also unfamiliar with Dragon Quest. Was their development geared towards a good quality game?
not sure how to respond to most of this 'cause yeah, it is kind of tangential, and i don't want to just go off on random tangents about brawl myself. i will say that i think a lot of games have like one main executive who is inspired about something, especially with nintendo...and that beyond that you have a lot of people saying "this won't sell" or "this is impractical sakurai, you can't just include missiles for no reason"...until you end up with a game that's both fun and profitable.

of course, there are a lot of games that are inspired and don't sell, and probably some that aren't inspired but do sell...but these are both less interesting so we mostly don't remember them. seriously, try to name a mediocre game. it's kind of hard. the first things you'll think of will all be either obviously good or obviously bad. lol, i guess i went off on tangents anyway.

dragon quest is pretty much the original JRPG. the franchise has been around for as long as final fantasy, but unlike final fantasy, they have stayed really close to their original "hardcore" rpg gameplay. and they still sell really well. skimming the wikipedia article, it sounds like it's sold about 5 million copies just in japan, and over a million in north america. also there are quotes from the developers saying that it's one of the hardest ones so far. it's kind of the good twin of brawl; it caters to its loyal fanbase and does it well enough to actually sell.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
I don't know why they didn't/wouldn't just advance Melee. Well I know why... but I think logically that it's ****ing Super Smash Brothers, all the people are gonna buy the game no matter what. Given that alot of casuals don't even like Brawl based on how far down the scale of "for casuals" they designed the game to be, then less people would be inclined to buy the next one - at least immediately - based on how ****ty Brawl was (this is what I call the Final Fantasy 12 effect lol).

Windrose

Smash Lord
i thought you were executor on the boards LOL

Of course.

IS THAT MELEE IN THE BACKGROUND?! xD

reminds me of that simpsons episode where they played this song :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc8n...8807575&type=1"]RazerFacebookPhotos HOt Girls
lots of cool stuff from Razer

17/28 is my favourite.

idea

Smash Master
I don't know why they didn't/wouldn't just advance Melee. Well I know why... but I think logically that it's ****ing Super Smash Brothers, all the people are gonna buy the game no matter what. Given that alot of casuals don't even like Brawl based on how far down the scale of "for casuals" they designed the game to be, then less people would be inclined to buy the next one - at least immediately - based on how ****ty Brawl was (this is what I call the Final Fantasy 12 effect lol).
so you're saying ff12 is good but didn't sell well because of how **** ffx-2 was? (or 11?)

also that's an interesting point, i bet brawl would have sold equally well if it were more like melee 2...

Windrose

Smash Lord
11 was an mmo wasn't it?

i'm so sad that square-enix was once upon a time the squaresoft that produced all those great final fantasies...

i've never returned a video game before in my life until ffx-2.....

Europhoria

Smash Lord
so you're saying ff12 is good but didn't sell well because of how **** ffx-2 was? (or 11?)

also that's an interesting point, i bet brawl would have sold equally well if it were more like melee 2...
No I'm saying 12 was absolute **** and that alot of people didn't get 13 immediately or in general as a result. Also yes, we could put X-2 in place of 12. Really it's been a pretty bad slope for them

Top Bottom