• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Rikana

Smash Champion
But that's not exactly the point. You can still turn on items and play FFA, 3v1, etc. You can even choose not to use ATs and such. It changes the game entirely and its much more lawlzy than playing 1v1s for those who play smash casually. Its sad that he'd make ssb4 even more dumb than what brawl is.

idea

Smash Master
apparently they're releasing a new gorillaz album on christmas day. for free.

-----------------------

with melee, most people don't like losing hopelessly though =P the skill gap is just depressingly large for non smashers. brawl isn't the solution to that, but meh, it has the right idea.

honestly though, i don't know why games aren't made with easy and hard mode. every rpg i play i wish the enemies would just be stronger. it's so easy, just give everything more stats, but they never bother >=(

JPOBS

Smash Hero
melee can be hella fun with casuals.

i remember a few weeks ago i was playing doubles with a bunch of noobs as roy, and those were literally the funniest matches i have ever had playing this game.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
apparently they're releasing a new gorillaz album on christmas day. for free.

-----------------------

with melee, most people don't like losing hopelessly though =P the skill gap is just depressingly large for non smashers. brawl isn't the solution to that, but meh, it has the right idea.

honestly though, i don't know why games aren't made with easy and hard mode. every rpg i play i wish the enemies would just be stronger. it's so easy, just give everything more stats, but they never bother >=(
Blizzard has been trying to achieve this with WoW. They went from just having 1 raid lock (that was made for the better players) to 2, a regular mode and your hard mode idea since every little kid wants to raid.

The problem is there's a huge middle ground. The easy is too easy for such a large group of players, but the hard modes are too hard for them as well. So they're left *****ing and moaning about said problem. They're bored with what they can do and frustrated with what they can't. But it gets worse, they feel they're entitled to more rewards and **** because they can do the easy content.
Hard modes can be over-rated ;)

idea

Smash Master
that's good that they can enjoy the game while still being crappy at it, tristan. i know i can, otherwise i never would have gone to that first tournament. but i don't think it's fair to expect that of most people. they would rather play a game where they don't feel overwhelmed and stressed out at all times. which is a pretty normal response to playing a falco that can shffl for the first time.

mike: okay, then there should be a medium mode too. as long as you're only adjusting small things it should be easy enough. if you have to change a large part of the game to make it hard, then your game was probably too easy to begin with. or rather, it's not the kind of game you should be adding a hard mode too. obviously not everything needs a hard mode...pony palz or wtf it is does not need a mode where it takes twice as many brushes to make your horse look shiny. but i think a lot of games would benefit from something like that, especially rpgs.

to give an example...i'm still playing golden sun 3. it's fun. but at this point, the battles are just way too easy. i don't even fight normal battles anymore, my party is underleveled and still kills everything with ease anyway. i ran into a normal battle for the first time in a new area and the monsters were doing like 8 damage...to my characters with 400 hp. a little while ago i took off everyone's torso armor, they still take next to no damage.

the game is pretty much fine otherwise, but if there were just an option to double all monsters' stats or something i'd be much happier with it.

by the way, if anyone knows how i can get a job doing basically this ^ please tell me, because i would be amazing at that.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
For long time there was no easy or hard mode; just a mode. Most people sucked and complained. Hence the new system. Instead of releasing only hard **** (the mentality was that whatever content they released had to occupy people for several months so they had to make it at least relatively challenging... the reality is most guilds spend a long time progressing on a single fight at the end of a raid), they toned down all the fights and just added a hard mode to all of them. A medium mode would be really awkward because there would still be those in between groups. Not to mention being hard to implement in terms of time and effort towards making a 3RD difficulty level.

I don't disagree that games are too easy on a whole and could use some more challenging content though Kyle.

idea

Smash Master
you probably need to type more to make it appear.

i think the problem is that...the kids they were making games for 10-15 years ago, we grew up. and we didn't see any reason to stop playing them. and now we want new ones...that aren't necessarily shoot-everyone-the-game version 16.

i haven't played donkey kong country returns yet, but from the looks of it, that game seems to fit the above paragraph perfectly. the main flaw is the crappy controls...and they have patches for that...so...i guess i need to go take my wii back from brendan and kirsty over the break.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
man these days i can only stand to play games that require only minimal upkeeping.

like, if i have to constantly go into menus to adjust equipment and keep up with stats as i progress through it, and scout maps and objectives and junk, then idgaf about playing it.

I grew out of wanting to get deeply involved into the game, im definitely in that region of gamers that just wanna shoot everything. games are way too complex these days.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Exactly how I feel as well.

For anyone that's ever played Final Fantasy Tactics (not those gba and ds FF:tactics ****), I'm referring to the battle with Wiegrief (solo with Ramza) then he transforms into Velius. I absolutely loved that battle. If you saved right before, you're ****ed cause if you can't beat him, you can't do anything but restart. Hardest battle I ever fought. I beat him back when internet wasn't so mainstream and I didn't even know about strategy guides. I felt so proud.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
man these days i can only stand to play games that require only minimal upkeeping.

like, if i have to constantly go into menus to adjust equipment and keep up with stats as i progress through it, and scout maps and objectives and junk, then idgaf about playing it.

I grew out of wanting to get deeply involved into the game, im definitely in that region of gamers that just wanna shoot everything. games are way too complex these days.
The secret is to put all that extra **** into the game like extra objectives, having to scout stuff but not to make it mandatory or some of your audience gets burnt out on the game halfway through X.X

idea

Smash Master
that's fine too, as long as it's not only at the end. i guess there is no "end" for mmos but in other games, having to wait till the end of the game to play the hard part is frustrating.

yoshi's island is actually a pretty good example. you don't have to get 100% in every level, but it still feels like a challenge that's part of the main game. and i don't really consider a level beaten in that game until i get 100...but for some kid playing it their first time, maybe they'd rather just go to the next level instead. it's a good balance.

fft has some great battles...the 'execution' battle can be crazy hard as well, and iirc you can't do extra battles at that point. the knights are like as strong as your fighter characters. it's great.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I picked up my psp again. I missed playing on it. What's good for psp?

I'm using slim psp with cfw 5.00m33-6. My current games on my card are:
DJ Max Clazziquai
DJ Max Portable 3
DJ Max Hot Tunes

lol. I love DJ Max.

Bing

Smash Master
Yo guys, I just wanted to make sure we were still on for tomorrow and if so I was wondering If I could meet someome before Davids because I REALLY dont know how to get there(thank you google maps)

Im coming from Humber College North, busing to somewhere close to Davids then walking, so I was hoping someone could like, pick me up before then and help me out a bit.

Text me if you can(cant believe im about to do this) but my cell number is (905) 941 1907 text me pleaseeee, call if you cant of course

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You're Finch West or something.

Take bus to Finch station.

Take 53 Steeles East to Maxome. Go North.

85 Henderson Ave is the address of the townhouse complex.

Walk into the complex.

My house is house #20.

Landmarks to assist you:

- My complex is across the street from a school called "Henderson Ave Public School"
- If you're at the right place you should be able to see tennis courts (though the nets will probably be taken down)
- There is a big driveway that leads to an underground garage. It is very big. Near that garage will be stairs leading into the complex.

For srs you can't miss it.

If you're that worried, my cell is 647 - 271 - 3334

If you're still worried, just arrange a time to meet someone at Finch Station

idea

Smash Master
I picked up my psp again. I missed playing on it. What's good for psp?

I'm using slim psp with cfw 5.00m33-6. My current games on my card are:
DJ Max Clazziquai
DJ Max Portable 3
DJ Max Hot Tunes

lol. I love DJ Max.
i wanna try the remake of lunar.

Yo guys, I just wanted to make sure we were still on for tomorrow and if so I was wondering If I could meet someome before Davids because I REALLY dont know how to get there(thank you google maps)

Im coming from Humber College North, busing to somewhere close to Davids then walking, so I was hoping someone could like, pick me up before then and help me out a bit.

Text me if you can(cant believe im about to do this) but my cell number is (905) 941 1907 text me pleaseeee, call if you cant of course
it's not that hard to get there really, i can't see you getting lost. but if you are then call him while you're walking there and he can guide you the rest of the way.

get off the bus at maxome/henderson (the stop you get off is where maxome becomes henderson)...walk north on henderson...if you see a school and a parking lot on your left after about 5 minutes, you're basically there.

edit: all this made me want to look up my first posts on smashboards. my first post in this thread was about the parrot from that old connect four commercial. it was on page 139/1243. (i forget what my posts per page thing is set to)

Ministry

Smash Ace
is anyone free over the break to play? im available the 20th to the 4th

if anyone wants to smash or smashfest im down

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
i'll probably be back from quebec on the 22nd in the evening or something

we can probably figure something out

i'm not doing anything boxing day really

other than some family stuff on the 28th and needing to at some point get a presentation done and an essay on shakespeare i don't have much going on

Rikana

Smash Champion
yo gba FF tactics was tight dont hateee.
I have to. I was really looking forward to the gba tactics until I realized the story was kind of dumb and the strategies weren't as complex as the original on psx. Its like how we were all looking forward to Brawl but it was a disappointment for those who were so heavily influenced by Melee. FFTadvance was just too different for me. :(

Luckily though, they're making another remake for Final Fantasy Tactics.. lol. Its gonna come out for the iPhone. I'm so getting it.

idea

Smash Master
fft >>>> ffta

ffta had some good stuff too, though.

and there's already a remake on the psp. it's supposed to be really good...better translation, and some animated scenes in the same style as the rest of the art.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
sooooooo last minute... but i was gonna sneak to my girlfriend's place tomorrow to visit her in scarborougharea is

and was wondering if anyone tomorrow would be down to smash tomorrow at some point... lol

and hopefully i could get home before my parents notice i left guelph :laugh:

None Shall Pass

Smash Apprentice
sooooooo last minute... but i was gonna sneak to my girlfriend's place tomorrow to visit her in scarborougharea is

and was wondering if anyone tomorrow would be down to smash tomorrow at some point... lol

and hopefully i could get home before my parents notice i left guelph :laugh:
?

Why can't you just simply say you're going to visit your girlfriend? Why sneak there?

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
read the ****ing thread
edit: edit: nvm loooooooooooooooooool
/edit

?

Why can't you just simply say you're going to visit your girlfriend? Why sneak there?
a) i'm not allowed dating lol
b) she lives in toronto for school
c) i'm not allowed driving out of guelph
d) for the above redicuous reasons.. it's cuz i'm in a really strict asian household xD

Rikana

Smash Champion
fft >>>> ffta

ffta had some good stuff too, though.

and there's already a remake on the psp. it's supposed to be really good...better translation, and some animated scenes in the same style as the rest of the art.
The remake on the psp is extremely good because they kept everything like it was. They only added on top of that: cutscenes, extra jobs, multiplayer, etc. The only downside, which in fact is a really big one, is the lag that occurs when you perform skills. It gets quite annoying but you'd eventually adjust.

I think I literally replayed tactics over 100 times.

Waiting for Tactics Ogre on psp at the moment; its still currently in Japanese. That game looks really good as well.

Edit: Davidddd. What time do we come over? Anddd, who's coming? PM/MSN address please and thanks.

idea

Smash Master
I think I literally replayed tactics over 100 times.
that's a good question to address to the thread:

what's the video game you've played the most, aside from melee? and not series, single game.

for me it's most likely super metroid. for all of grade 11 (or 12? i forget), every day, i would come home, play super metroid from start to finish, then do my homework. or maybe i'd copy off someone the next morning. but always super metroid.

"rules to being under our roof"

vs.

"k you can move out"

lol, no jk they wouldn't kick me out, but it'd be a pain
how did your parents meet?

.BlurR

Smash Cadet
that's a good question to address to the thread:

what's the video game you've played the most, aside from melee? and not series, single game.
Halo 2

Played that everyday from grade 8 to 10 on xbox live
Think I was pretty good at it too =P

Rikana

Smash Champion
Who's going to David's tomorrow? And around what time? I need to know the address as well. I just remember I get off at Bayview/Steeles when traveling from the east side of Steeles on the TTC, right?

idea

Smash Master
You're Finch West or something.

Take bus to Finch station.

Take 53 Steeles East to Maxome. Go North.

85 Henderson Ave is the address of the townhouse complex.

Walk into the complex.

My house is house #20.

Landmarks to assist you:

- My complex is across the street from a school called "Henderson Ave Public School"
- If you're at the right place you should be able to see tennis courts (though the nets will probably be taken down)
- There is a big driveway that leads to an underground garage. It is very big. Near that garage will be stairs leading into the complex.

For srs you can't miss it.

If you're that worried, my cell is 647 - 271 - 3334

If you're still worried, just arrange a time to meet someone at Finch Station
doop de doop de da

Top Bottom