• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
Soooo, where are the rankings? Or when will they be posted? If you guys are still discussing im not trying to harass you guys it just seems by the way you guys are talking it is already posted somewhere. I am search button inert.

DLSix

Smash Rookie
Truly epic lulz. I can't wait to come to these things and get into some drama. ^_^

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
I'd just like to clear something up with everyone. My name does not have a "J" sound in it. My real name is Graeme, so omit the vowels and add an arbitrary "o" at the end. Phoneticize "Grm". It's not "Jrmo", alright?

Fogel

Smash Lord
I know that Quebec > Ontario in skill. I haven't much say in the EC PR. I had a moderate involvement in the placing of 10th-15th in version 1, and since then, I've had one or two people message me for a quick judgment ... which were people who I play with on a regular basis.

The EC PR is not correct. If you believe this, then that's fine with me. This post isn't a john or a whine to be higher. I'd say the top 5ish are pretty spot on, but the rest gets really hazy.

So excuse me for wanting to bring balance and insight into how these things are created - Toronto's smash community is not the beast that Montreal's is, so it has to be handled a little more delicately.

We're just trying to make a more accurate representation of the skill level. If it works out, it won't be updated every year or so, a la EC PR. The EC PR also doesn't have a runner's up list which I tried very hard to get going but I guess Quebec didn't like it.

"a la" is French guys

Besides. This forum is all about trash-talk. I hate you Cameron. <3.
I believe you were in on the MSN when we made the second list, you didn't say very much at all. Also I'm not sure why you keep saying that Montreal made the PR, the panel has more Ontarians than Montrealers. Most of the current PR is my first attempt at a list, with some minor movements after discussion between everyone. I'm prepared to back up the current list with tournament results; I'm curious as to what you think it would look like.

I'm gonna just ignore most of the second half of your post, which is just pretty words trying to make the EC PR look like half-*** crap made up of all Montrealers, and no arguments or facts. In my opinion, the runner-up list is kind of useless since there would be like 30 or 40 contenders for it. Perhaps the PR could be expanded to 20 or 25 next time, but it depends what the other panelists think.

The internet is for arguing.

<3 Jake

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Guys, I can't take it anymore I have to make a life-changing decision.

Will I use Brinstar against Andy or Mute City?

If I pick the wrong stage, Andy will eat my babiez. I CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN!

moardramaforyoullamaz

Drolian

Smash Journeyman
I say Muet City.

BTW, Jarc and Darc are both Jigglypuff players; coincidence? I think not!

It would be cool if anyone can hold something around Wed/Thurs, if not, maybe I can..not a definite though, I might be doing stuff so I'll get back to youz. Not Friday though, I gots plans fo sho.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Guys, I can't take it anymore I have to make a life-changing decision.

Will I use Brinstar against Andy or Mute City?

If I pick the wrong stage, Andy will eat my babiez. I CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN!

moardramaforyoullamaz
Trick question! Andy will eat your babies either way.

D

Deleted member

im gonna try and hold a smash till dawn near the 10th, i have limited space so first come first serve

PM me if you're interested..

and i'm talking limited space.. like..10 people, give or take 2-3

and purely for safety reasons, i don't want people i've never met in real life coming over.

so sorry everyone who i have not met, you are not welcome unless you have many friends that can vouch for you etc

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
im gonna try and hold a smash till dawn near the 10th, i have limited space so first come first serve

PM me if you're interested..

and i'm talking limited space.. like..10 people, give or take 2-3

and purely for safety reasons, i don't want people i've never met in real life coming over.

so sorry everyone who i have not met, you are not welcome unless you have many friends that can vouch for you etc
:000h man I'm in for this. Too lazy to PM you >_>.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Points System for Panelists/PR

To panelists:

I would like to suggest a new system to rank players and record (statistically) matches in tournaments by adding a "Points" system similar to ones used in sports. I find it would greatly increase the accuracy of Power Rankings because as of now, Power Rankings are formed by individuals' opinions and are subject to bias and uninformed decisions. This system would serve in weighing tourneys and comparing different tourneys from different times.

This "Points" System would consist of awarding players a number of points for situational wins and losses such as: 3 points for a win, 2 points for a Tied Win (after time runs out), 1 point for a Tied Loss, and 0 points for a Loss. Also, if we use points now they can be used in the future to compare tournaments with each other to be able to see a broader view of players' individual skill levels and see how they progress in skill level (be it up or down) to maybe get a better bead on Power Rankings.

This system could, also, be very useful when weighing tournaments, so that instead of taking the results from EVERY tournament you only check the tourneys that were big enough to use the point system. That way they don't include low population tourneys that otherwise wouldn't be worth anything at all.

I've set up a spreadsheet on Microsoft Excel that includes an organized bracket design and examples simulating tournament records. If you (the panelists) would like a copy of this, to see what I mean, I'd be glad to email you one.

P.S. I realize that some may disagree with the points system I have up there so I will say now, the points system provided is only an example and can/will be subject to discussion if my idea is accepted.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Yes i have been to a tournament, I went to the NNR one last year and then recently at Charles' tournament. I met with some guys from NNR last year before the tournament (Noah, Jake, Tyler, Bernard to name a few) and I've met some more from the Toronto Smash community at Charles' tournament. I'm coming on Saturday to David's Bi-Weekly too. My smash name is 3R!X.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Yes i have been to a tournament, I went to the NNR one last year and then recently at Charles' tournament. I met with some guys from NNR last year before the tournament (Noah, Jake, Tyler, Bernard to name a few) and I've met some more from the Toronto Smash community at Charles' tournament. I'm coming on Saturday to David's Bi-Weekly too. My smash name is 3R!X.
Allright, well sorry for the initial disrespect, but in regards to your point system there are a number of problems that come to my head right away.

1. Brackets, lets say a lower player gets an easy bracket and streamlines through, all of a sudden they've got a bunch of points... and it looks like they're good. Likewise, a good player who may have to face the top players in the first couple rounds is going to have no points, despite possibly being on of the top players around.

2. Past Tourneys/updates: If we only count certain tournaments for points, a player could be dominating the scene at the moment, but because there are no larger tournaments for this player to get points at, ( or possibly just not get enough points to catch up to the other top players...) he's not on top, yet he could be the real best in T.O.

You see what I'm saying?

Europhoria

Smash Lord
^ How about we release the PR we were supposed to have by now? If it seems accurate then our system (whatever it is) is working; if it's not accurate then perhaps we can look at alternatives?

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Allright, well sorry for the initial disrespect, but in regards to your point system there are a number of problems that come to my head right away.

1. Brackets, lets say a lower player gets an easy bracket and streamlines through, all of a sudden they've got a bunch of points... and it looks like they're good. Likewise, a good player who may have to face the top players in the first couple rounds is going to have no points, despite possibly being on of the top players around.

2. Past Tourneys/updates: If we only count certain tournaments for points, a player could be dominating the scene at the moment, but because there are no larger tournaments for this player to get points at, ( or possibly just not get enough points to catch up to the other top players...) he's not on top, yet he could be the real best in T.O.

You see what I'm saying?
Yes I do, but consider the following:

Re-1. How often does someone get an easy bracket and "streamline" through the tourney? The people attending the tournaments will all be good and at a relatively even level (I presume) enough so that someone WOULDN'T streamline and just win a tournament. And what if a tournament is set up reasonably and match-ups are appropriate? Then everyone has had their fair share of games and appropriate points. More tournaments would help keep this bias to a minimum.

Re-2. You could set a specific number of players that would classify as an accountable tournament, meaning the little "4p" tourney or "8p" tourneys that probably wouldn't count for much because there are so little players, wouldn't give bias to the results. In the event that there AREN'T enough tourneys that would adhere to the classification rule, you (the panelists) would just judge people as you have up until now.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Yes I do, but consider the following:

Re-1. How often does someone get an easy bracket and "streamline" through the tourney? The people attending the tournaments will all be good and at a relatively even level (I presume) enough so that someone WOULDN'T streamline and just win a tournament. And what if a tournament is set up reasonably and match-ups are appropriate? Then everyone has had their fair share of games and appropriate points. More tournaments would help keep this bias to a minimum.
How often? Well in reality, it happens quite often. And even if the person doesn't win the tournament (cause they usually wont...) by your system they now get a bunch of points.
As far as setting up brackets with reasonable matchups thats even more rediculous, cause now an individul has to assume the skills of a bunch of players, and whats "right" to one person may be " horribly unfair" to another. (Also, as far as everyone generally being good and at the same level, if this was the case we wouldn't even have a pr.)
Re-2. You could set a specific number of players that would classify as an accountable tournament, meaning the little "4p" tourney or "8p" tourneys that probably wouldn't count for much because there are so little players, wouldn't give bias to the results. In the event that there AREN'T enough tourneys that would adhere to the classification rule, you (the panelists) would just judge people as you have up until now.
If you run off only major tournies then it actually accelerates the problem I stated earlier (where one person is dominating as of late... but has no tournament to gain points at). And who's to say what number it should be before a tournament counts? Does a 32 man tournament of noobs count? What about an 8 man of all the pros? Does that not count?

I actually thought out pretty well the advantages and disadvantages of your system, and it just doesn't work dude.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Ok, If you really think so. I just thought it might be an idea to consider. You always have the option of trying it out if you change your mind.

P.S. I said "relatively" good, not "Generally" good

Top Bottom