• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Which is why TP > ignite in most cases.

Good job kiddo, you **** on your lane. Too bad other lanes aren't doing so hot cause either jungler not helping or possibly even a tp could've changed that around.
Very rarely do top laners carry.

Also no, it doesn't matter if they have TP or ignite. Renekton is a ****** lane bully either way and if you're sticking around with half health thinking you can live just cause he has TP, you're cruzin fer a bruzin

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Fair enough then. How come TP only became popular on tops after the buff? Was the CD too long before?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It originally had it's current tower TP CD (or even the pre-nerf one) for all uses. Teleporting to wards was invisible too. ,They changed that and it killed it because it suddenly wasn't good at it's other usage (helping you survive lanes by being able to back more often). Oh and it still has the latter usage (play making). Win win.

Top meta has become more island over time, early game losses at top mean very little (Dragon + getting your duo lane further ahead is definitely better than a single tower, sometimes even two), the character selections are generally stale and the match ups are pretty well defined at this point.

The counter to teleport is having teleport yourself, having great tower pushing/an early game or having much better scaling than the opponent.

Ignite isn't part of that equation at all when Ignite is an early game summoner spell (you either win early or you don't and ignite is unlikely to affect this and smart opponents will just play safer biding their time).

Last edited:

john!

Smash Hero
lol how does everyone know to max pulverize so your combo is up more often even though it sacrifices a bit of damage

but not know to max nevermove so your combo is up more often even though it sacrifices a bit of damage?

Last edited:

Player-3

Smash Hero
You probably won't have kill pressure against another top laner that's running ignite though. And if you're Croc with TP verses Dragon or Mundo or something that's also running TP, yeah you'd still have kill pressure, but with ignite you'd probably be able to kill them outright.

Not saying ignite is better or anything. I just hate that whenever I try out TP, a situation always pops up where I would've got a kill with ignite. Not having a teleport mid-lategame sucks though. Luckily for me I play Shen with ignite so I kill two birds with one stone because I have kill pressure in lane, and my teleport is better than everyone else's.
ya you do miss out on kills with ignite, problem is, if you took ignite they wouldnt have stayed for that long anyways and woulda just backed regardless

ignite just does not work at top level play when somebody knows the limits of your/their character

(and before you say you've played plats and diamonds, im talking about good players)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I don't pay attention to stuff like LPL Brazil etc. scenes, only Korea EU and NA. So I have no idea if there's any competent players on the OCE server to base it being "good players" since I've mentioned countless times already how diamond on OCE is like low gold for NA.

Player-3

Smash Hero
it's ok, he played challengers
i said good players

also i forgot to put it in that post, so because top players dont take ignite people dont take it at lower levels because they're lcs pros too but ignite is fine if you're against people that don't know your champion (or their own for that matter) well enough to gauge burst (like if you play niche champions it can work)

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
gold on na from what i remember is garbage

ALSO PRAISE THE LORD

I think you guys convinced Dre to take teleport???? Maybe????

I tried the other day and he was just like, "no, have a wall of text" so I was like, "I can't" and stopped responding.

[9:05] Palutena: we had someone
talk all game
so i muted him
xoxo
[9:05] Dre89: this guy did this
because i was going to take ignite on shen instead of tp
tp is pointless on shen
[9:06] Palutena: no its not
[9:06] Dre89: it is
[9:06] Palutena: mm no
[9:06] Dre89: if u take tp
u auto lose lane
because shen has no kill potential withut ignite
also u get no trade off
generally
if u go ignite and they go tp
u win lane but they have lategame utility
[9:07] Palutena: shen isnt known for kill potential
also
[9:07] Dre89: shen has it
with ignite
[9:07] Palutena: teleport
is much better late game
than ignite
[9:07] Dre89: it is but
i dont need it
when i have a tp on a 96 sec cd
[9:07] Palutena: it's almost on revive level
[9:07] Dre89: which actually ives a huge shield tooo
[9:07] Palutena: it isnt a real teleport
[9:08] Dre89: its better than tp
because
one
half the cd
at level 16
[9:08] Palutena: can you tp to towers
[9:08] Dre89: gives a shield
so it effecively gives comat stats
tping tochamps is better than towers
becsue it also has combat stats
tp is better for two things
getting to lane quicker
which only matters in laning phase
but ignite is better in laning pha anyway
and tping to a lane after a fight
shens ult is better in every ther way
the thing with shen is
if u take tp
u lose lane because u dont have a 1v1 ult
so if they takke ignte
they win lane hard
but if they take tp
[9:10] : they win lane but also have the same utility that u do
ignite forcesa trade off
because if u both run ignite
both have kill potential but u also have ultity
if they run tp
u have kill potential in lane but also lutility later wit hur ult
id only run tp on shen if i was playing support with him
so i could ult to another lane then tp back to bot to help my adc

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
P3 is right.
Diamond is garbage in general. There's just some games, even tho I went from D5 to D3 in an instant, that felt like Plat games. And if Plat = Silver.
Literal hell.

But in all honesty, I cannot believe how there's some people that were boosted last season, somehow stayed in the realms of D5, and can be as bad as gold players. There's been games I should not have won but constant throwing gave us win eventually.

Player-3

Smash Hero
cuz to hold onto a division 5 (this season, last season you couldn't drop anyways) all you have to do is win 1/3 of your games as long as you dont play thousands

and thats easy to do because of other boosted people, dcs, afks, etc etc etc its practically impossible to drop from division 5 without trying

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
cuz to hold onto a division 5 (this season, last season you couldn't drop anyways) all you have to do is win 1/3 of your games as long as you dont play thousands

and thats easy to do because of other boosted people, dcs, afks, etc etc etc its practically impossible to drop from division 5 without trying
It's from having lowish MMR + losing 5 games in a row at 0 points. I dropped out of D5 because I stopped being a try hard and treated it as such; while still finding myself getting dcs/afks/boosted people so often that I became dejected.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Zano- TP isn't 'pointless' on Shen but I find it to be suboptimal because there's no tradeoff. If you both take ignite, you both have kill pressure but you also have lategame tp utility with your ult. If you take ignite and they take tp, you have kill pressure in lane an they don't, but you still match their utility with your ult. Taking tp doesn't give you any tradeoff because you already have a tp that will eventually have less than half the cd of a turret teleport. So not only is there no tradeoff, but it becomes increasingly harder to find a situation where using your tp is optimal because your ult is up twice as much and has a combat stat on it for your target.

Of course it has uses and is a good option regardless, but I just personally prefer ignite. Just my preference.

ya you do miss out on kills with ignite, problem is, if you took ignite they wouldnt have stayed for that long anyways and woulda just backed regardless

ignite just does not work at top level play when somebody knows the limits of your/their character

(and before you say you've played plats and diamonds, im talking about good players)
People get 1v1 kills with ignite in NA diamond and challenger all the time, or at least they always seem to when I watch soloq streams/replays. This also happens a lot in high elo Korean soloq as well. I'm talking about the MMR pros are at, which is literally the highest level of soloq play, a level that most of us here are not at, except maybe some (like you P3).

I don't get this 'it doesn't work on good players logic' when I've seen it work countless times at the highest level of soloq. If NA/Korean diamond and challenger isn't 'good players' then who the hell is?

Also if ignite is bad against top level players who know the limits of the champs, why is it still popular on mids (and some supports). Surely the same logic of 'they'll back if they can be killed by ignite' still applies?

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Assume anyone that's Mid plat or just Diamond in general has played against pros cause of the millions of smurfs they level up through ranked.

Hell when I was playing ranked a bunch a month back I ran into trick and sirchez twice and even doublelift smurf before.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Dre having his "I don't need ignite because my character already has a dot" mentality
Aero calling himself Palutena

id only run tp on shen if i was playing support with him

Oh boy.

Player-3

Smash Hero
People get 1v1 kills with ignite in NA diamond and challenger all the time, or at least they always seem to when I watch soloq streams/replays.
yes and im saying the only reason tehy get those kills are because te people playing against them arent wary of the champions damage/ignite timer (aka they arent 100% focused on the game because its just solo q)

my point is people just take tp because the lcs players do it, because in lcs you're never going to get a kill on somebody with ignite because they will time your summoners and all that ****, and if they're too low and would risk getting killed they'll just back and tp to lane

and lcs players take tp in solo q so they have more experience with laning with tp, personally i like ignite better than tp

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
No problem here, I just felt like it added even more flavour to the whole ordeal.
Also, to speak about some league related stuff I've struggled to support since the beginning of season 4 but right now I'm getting back into it thanks to Blitz. I know he's not as efficient as Thresh that I've played extensively last season, but he's so interesting to play and it feels good to not give a **** and miss grabs here and there until you get that one godhand play that changes the course of the game because for once you didn'lt get the tank.

I need more fun supports to expand my pool.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
So why do LCS mids and supports take it?
Midlaners already have accessibility to both sidelanes and are close enough to dragon that they can reliably rotate. Also midlaners are also do a lot less durable and do a lot more damage so 1 shotting people is a lot more practical.

Bot laners have to deal with heal, also supports don't really move on their own so it loses a lot of it's utility.

A lot of why TP is taken over ignite is the isolation of top lane during the laning phase and the fact that you lose so much if you go back in a position where the lane can be pushed to tower. Not that you'd do it every matchup top lane, you aren't gonna kill a mundo without ignite or some other way to inflict grievous wounds, and some matchups it's worth it, but the vast majority of the time even in solo queue you want TP as a top laner.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Mid laners I can think of that would go TP is ryze lol.
Otherwise Yasuo fizz syndra tf ori would always go ignite/ghost, maybe heal on Ori.

Top laners now are lulu mundo shyv renek gragas and maybe Ryze. 2 AP carries that usually go Morello first or second while Ryze doesn't need something like ignite vs mundo since he ***** him top anyways for a bit.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
There's less room around mid, so you need to do more damage quicker to guarantee a kill.
Range ADs and Supports are generally balanced to be useless/weak individually, so having ignite to correspond to extra damage output for when abilities are down / due to not having solid damage output at early stages of the game.

There's probably a bit of a hint here.
It's Bot Lane.
The lane in which making plays for is generally worthwhile; has the most reward, generally the least risk due to SQUISHIES. Frees up your bot lane/gets them over the threshold required for them to be useful in a global fashion (like getting that bot tower and then having 3/4 group up mid is going to be generating a lot of pressure/gold for your team even if enemy bot lane goes about taking your single bot tower).

Teleport on a top laner helps you help bot lane and get tower/dragon/mid. (It's the TRI COMBO of BASIC VIABILITY AND SUDDENLY WINNING THE GAME BY HEAPS play). Teleport on mid also helps you do that if you aren't that mobile.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Which is another reason why Twisted Fate has been seeing more play. So shut down their AD and make your kog/Lucian get stronger.
TF doesn't win lane against the likes of the meta Yasuo Syndra Fizz etc., so he needs to just stay safe till 6 and make plays around the map instead now.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
literally everybody sucks at league of legends
I've pretty much given up on taking ranked seriously after my last game was a 4v5 all game and we utterly stomped the opposing team. That kind of thing isn't supposed to happen in Diamond.

In other news Riot's releasing yet another new gamemode that won't be as fun as URF and will undoubtedly get boring within 2 games like One for all did. And it's mid-2014 and there's still no gamemode with limitless gold/levels/cooldowns that can be used to try out different builds or Flash combos or whatever. Sigh.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
This game mode is actually kinda interesting/fun.

Level 1 is like "oh these guys are using pretty OP moves, better watch out for that* *goes legendary*
level 2 is like "oh **** what the **** eve passive? oh **** what the **** swain ult? what the **** anivia egg on everyone?" *entire enemy team of bots goes legendary* [win by cheap backdooring]
Suddenly level 5 is like... "ANNIE PENTA KILL" "MALZAHAR QUADRA KILL" *goes to solo dragon and SUDDENLY THE ENTIRE ENEMY TEAM TWISTED FATE ULTS INTO DRAGON AND ONE SHOTS ME*

It's like playing against 5 raid bosses or something. Considering it's not you against another team of 5 *******/assholes, it's all about working together with your team against something you know is just bots. I'll probably play more of it, it was kinda fun. Level 5 raid requires some sorakas and morganas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom