• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Melee is harder(technical difficulty), but as far as deeper and more complex, well that's an open question because the skillcap in league is based on team coordination and decision-making.

I guess it's comparable to doubles, but then have 3 more people on your team.

Edit: TBH, how are you gonna be able to convince your friend with our views when he doesn't view melee as anything more then a children's game? He'll dismiss us like he dismisses you. I might suggest comparing it to league in that they both have a silly aesthetic disguising a deep and complex game.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I feel like that was a troll attempt almost but yeah what everyone else said.

Also apparently EG is back together again?

They were scrimming.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
Melee is harder(technical difficulty), but as far as deeper and more complex, well that's an open question because the skillcap in league is based on team coordination and decision-making.

I guess it's comparable to doubles, but then have 3 more people on your team.

Edit: TBH, how are you gonna be able to convince your friend with our views when he doesn't view melee as anything more then a children's game? He'll dismiss us like he dismisses you. I might suggest comparing it to league in that they both have a silly aesthetic disguising a deep and complex game.
that last part was a great point, but i HAVE shown him the complicated metagame behind melee. He's coming around, but he's contending that melee is an easy game to pick up, whereas lol can't be picked up straight away.

the comparison is a stretch, but i don't think i'm necessarily wrong in saying melee is a much harder game than lol. as smashers, if you guys can explain the how you felt picking up lol versus picking up melee, then that's something i can convey to my friend.

Leacero

Smash Lord
Melee has a ton of technical barriers that make it very difficult to get into if you're starting out. LoL has the technical skill requirement of feeding a puppy in comparison. I may be biased on that however since I had a lot of RTS experience prior to starting LoL and that would pretty much demolish any entry barrier any real new player would have.

But ya as people said they're two completely different games. I have some friends who are decent at Melee but don't display nearly the same aptitude in LoL. You can get by at a low-level on techskill alone in Melee (without knowledge of game mechanics) but knowledge is pretty much almost everything in LoL.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
hey guys, me and my friend have had a week long debate on which game is more harder/complicated/deeper : LOL or Melee. I only played LOL 2 times, but I have played melee for 6-7 years. Can anyone here give me an unbiased opinion on which game is harder?
All I can say is that it's way, way, way harder to even have a legitimate understanding of the games' mechanics and playing at a decent level for Melee.
To be an okay player in LoL you just have to grasp some concepts of how to last hit, what is safe/unsafe and how to you use your character's 4 skills. I've played LoL for 3 months now and I think I can safely say I'm an okay player that could end up in the 1200's, average.
Melee on the other hand, you could play that for years before you finally get to a point where you can do everything where you want as you planned, safely, technically etc.

It's hard to tell what is harder to master (though I think Melee), but it's definitely easier to be average at LoL.

Oh and in LoL, making mistakes is definitely more forgiving than in Melee, because you still have a team that can catch you when you fail. In Melee, if you make a mistake, that could -easily- get you killed. In LoL that's pretty rare, except for high level teams.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
that last part was a great point, but i HAVE shown him the complicated metagame behind melee. He's coming around, but he's contending that melee is an easy game to pick up, whereas lol can't be picked up straight away.
Which everyone who plays competitive melee and league will tell you is 100% wrong. I mean you can just direct him to this thread, this is an entire thread of people who play league of legends and smash (most on a competitive level) and for some reason most of us prefer melee. If you're getting him to come around, then this is pretty much the place to prove that melee is difficult.

the comparison is a stretch, but i don't think i'm necessarily wrong in saying melee is a much harder game than lol. as smashers, if you guys can explain the how you felt picking up lol versus picking up melee, then that's something i can convey to my friend.
To be perfectly honest, depends on what you mean by "difficulty", I think in this case defining your terms will help you come to a better understand of what exactly you disagree on.

Personally, I see "difficulty" as a skill floor thing which comprises of 2 main aspects: burden of knowledge and execution.

Burden of knowledge is the amount of information you are expect to know in order to figure out how to make decisions, thing like skillshot range, speed, ability attributes, how much of a healthbar equates to what HP, etc. To it's credit riot tends to try to make skills easy to understand, for example having defined colors for which skills can have certain effects (no coincidence that sona's healing song and ahri ball when she has her passive up are the same color).

Execution is pure technical skill required to make your character do what you want, things like jumping over a wall with flash or last hitting minions. To be perfectly honest, league's execution ceiling is very low.

So, as I define it, league isn't "difficult".

At the same time, a lot of people use difficulty to include skill ceiling, which is where I think he's coming from, and skill ceiling comes from team-based decision-making.

Say in a teamfight, you need to recognize you're enemy's damage output, be able to estimate exactly how long it would it would take to escape over that time period so you can decide exactly when to disengage using all the knowledge I talked about before. Then you have to decide whether what you can accomplish if you let yourself die and whether it's worth it. In league, there are a million tiny points of calculation and decisionmaking in order to optimize your teamfighting and that's not even half the areas where this complexity comes into play.

So league, low skill floor, high skill ceiling.

As far as how I felt picking them up:

Melee: When I compared myself to pro players I felt like I couldn't execute anything, like we weren't even playing the same game. That's still ther even now, but not to the same degree because I spent so much time practicing and suddenly it's not so much that I can't execute what they're doing, I'm just doing the wrong things.

League: I never felt like I couldn't do what the pro players did with the exception of last hitting and some really fancy things with lee sin for example and that sort of think take that long to learn. Instead I felt like I was constantly making the wrong decisions, too close or too far, didn't properly estimate my damage output and my opponents'. I got better as I internalized that information and learned how to apply it properly.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Melee (or any smash game for that matter) is way easier to pick up and be at a somewhat competent level and understand the game enough to know what youre doing while playing. Now, if youre talking about Top level play, thats a different story, but it takes considerably less time to understand how to play Smash than it does to understand LoL.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
We're definitely talking about difficulty as completely seperate things, but I don't really see the justification for using skill ceiling concepts for league while not even taking the entire skill floor for melee.

You see, we're not talking about simple casual play for either, otherwise you could say that any fighting game is as difficult because it's basically, walk up to the other guy, hit attack buttons, block, grab. However from a competitive standpoint, any fighting game changes radically to the point where the game is pretty much unrecognizable once you get the technical building blocks to actually play the game.

Melee's really high execution level makes this more true then most.

On the other hand, those same building blocks in league are quite easy to get, they just develop into an insane number of teamcomps, higher order strategies, and strategic implications. I mean you could argue that until somebody learns those implications they're not really playing the game, but it's the same type of higher order thinking that's considered approaching the skill ceiling in other types of games and the graduations are endless, so where could you draw the line?

edit:

I don't understand how more people aren't 2k+

I just see the lowest level of play imaginable from 1800s and 1900s.
Two possibilities:

1. You consider techniques that are really high order super basic because they've been ground into you by endless exploitation. The same way I think of dash-dancing and l-canceling in melee. As you improve your definition of what skills constitute "basic" gets better.

2. You're making bad calls which you don't recognize as bad calls because people who are incompetent tend to not be able to recognize competence. This could be that you're using strategies effective in arranged play but weak in solo queue or it could be that you're simply wrong (of course your teammates could be wrong too or they could be right). Keep in mind that to a point one can compensate for conceptual weaknesses with strengths.

If it's the former you should eventually rise in elo simply due to raw number of games. IIRC you're 2k+ atm, so I'd assume it's the former, I know wingsofdeathx basically considers everyone under diamond elo and a good majority of diamond "not really playing the game" for exactly that reason.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
Which everyone who plays competitive melee and league will tell you is 100% wrong. I mean you can just direct him to this thread, this is an entire thread of people who play league of legends and smash (most on a competitive level) and for some reason most of us prefer melee. If you're getting him to come around, then this is pretty much the place to prove that melee is difficult.

To be perfectly honest, depends on what you mean by "difficulty", I think in this case defining your terms will help you come to a better understand of what exactly you disagree on.

Personally, I see "difficulty" as a skill floor thing which comprises of 2 main aspects: burden of knowledge and execution.

Burden of knowledge is the amount of information you are expect to know in order to figure out how to make decisions, thing like skillshot range, speed, ability attributes, how much of a healthbar equates to what HP, etc. To it's credit riot tends to try to make skills easy to understand, for example having defined colors for which skills can have certain effects (no coincidence that sona's healing song and ahri ball when she has her passive up are the same color).

Execution is pure technical skill required to make your character do what you want, things like jumping over a wall with flash or last hitting minions. To be perfectly honest, league's execution ceiling is very low.

So, as I define it, league isn't "difficult".

At the same time, a lot of people use difficulty to include skill ceiling, which is where I think he's coming from, and skill ceiling comes from team-based decision-making.

Say in a teamfight, you need to recognize you're enemy's damage output, be able to estimate exactly how long it would it would take to escape over that time period so you can decide exactly when to disengage using all the knowledge I talked about before. Then you have to decide whether what you can accomplish if you let yourself die and whether it's worth it. In league, there are a million tiny points of calculation and decisionmaking in order to optimize your teamfighting and that's not even half the areas where this complexity comes into play.

So league, low skill floor, high skill ceiling.

As far as how I felt picking them up:

Melee: When I compared myself to pro players I felt like I couldn't execute anything, like we weren't even playing the same game. That's still ther even now, but not to the same degree because I spent so much time practicing and suddenly it's not so much that I can't execute what they're doing, I'm just doing the wrong things.

League: I never felt like I couldn't do what the pro players did with the exception of last hitting and some really fancy things with lee sin for example and that sort of think take that long to learn. Instead I felt like I was constantly making the wrong decisions, too close or too far, didn't properly estimate my damage output and my opponents'. I got better as I internalized that information and learned how to apply it properly.
i appreciate the responses, wasn't trolling at all when i was asking.

i'm still learning lol, and it's going to be a process. Here in Korea, the LOL has officially surpassed star 2 in terms of players and accounts. It's taken the country's gaming by storm. I'm going to play because it's so easy to find ppl to play with, but i'm still a smasher at heart. on top of that, i definitely think melee is a harder game overall, that's just my gut feeling. i appreciate the analysis from everyone and if you guys want to give me tips on lol feel free. i'm learning on the fly. :bee:

Dekar173

Justice Man
As stated, it's execution vs knowledge. League takes more "smarts" and Smash takes more "technicality"

Depending on who you are, you might feel one or the other is more difficult, probably because it's your weaker point.

Apples and oranges.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
As stated, it's execution vs knowledge. League takes more "smarts" and Smash takes more "technicality"

Depending on who you are, you might feel one or the other is more difficult, probably because it's your weaker point.

Apples and oranges.
I don't think it's that clear cut, I think the amount of smarts is similar but with smash you have layers of tech skill before you can actually play the game and this obscures it. League doesn't have that, so the differentiation by smarts is immediately recognizable.

i appreciate the responses, wasn't trolling at all when i was asking.

i'm still learning lol, and it's going to be a process. Here in Korea, the LOL has officially surpassed star 2 in terms of players and accounts. It's taken the country's gaming by storm. I'm going to play because it's so easy to find ppl to play with, but i'm still a smasher at heart. on top of that, i definitely think melee is a harder game overall, that's just my gut feeling. i appreciate the analysis from everyone and if you guys want to give me tips on lol feel free. i'm learning on the fly. :bee:
Yea, we've been hearing a lot about korea's smash scene recently.

As I said, by my definition melee is a harder game, but their skill ceiling is similar just entirely different. The thing is that's not a good thing at all, if it's just burden of knowledge and tech skill all it does is obscure the real game so it makes it very difficult to attract players to the game. I mean look at how the melee community suffers right now because of how esoteric competitive play is to the average player. It doesn't make the game worse, but it's a disadvantage, on the other hand it often goes hand in hand with increasing depth.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Iron Locket of the Solari is a good item on non supports, Junglers and Bruisers should pick it up more.

Mogwai said the idea on his stream and I've been trying it + others have, it's been working actually very well.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
League isn't easier than Brawl, lol. Metaknight doesn't have 4 other guys on his back when he plays.

Easier to win or easier to play?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Casually I would say Brawl is easier.
Much easier.

:038:

:phone:
This is what I was saying. Casually, Smash is easier, but if you want to more fully understand the game or play at a competent level, League is easier.

Coney

Smash Master
i mean, league is harder just based on the platform.

mouse and keyboard are a pretty significant barrier for entry that we're accustomed to, don't really think about because we're assimilated into it

simply because of that, brawl is definitely easier on a casual level, no contest

as for competitive level...who cares? you can circlejerk all day and compare apples to oranges but it's all subjective

also don't confuse difficulty with futility, getting four ******* on your team doesn't constitute a game's difficulty. you could get four superstars and it wouldn't make the game easier. people naturally gravitate toward a negative soloq mentality when it's really all averages

tho carrying through solo q is almost like its own game

Coney

Smash Master
on a casual level, absolutely

rts puts you in direct control of your camera, that alone makes the game more difficult because you're expected to frame your own viewpoi--oh nvm locked camera

my point stands though

Top Bottom