• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
that or you know, if he survives a gank with 50 hp, he can drink a pot to not get 1 shot so that he can actually stick around and heal up when the wave pushes the to the tower while defending the tower instead of being forced to B and give up a free tower. buying an HP pot and not using it is incredibly small cost, that can prevent some pretty devestating downsides. you don't stockpile a bunch after the initial laning but having 2 at all times is actually an incredibly good habit because you're basically giving yourself 400 hp worth of healing without going back (usually useful somewhere, regardless of whether you have massive regen/are WW/are Vlad) and the net cost if you don't use them is exactly 11 gold/unused pot (oh noes).

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Just played my first game with Noct and did terrible. I didn't really feed necessarily but I just...couldn't kill anything. Maybe it was because of who I was facing...there was Kass who's ungankable, Noct who was ungankable, Mundo who was unkillable, Irelia who I was only able to kill once with tower diving, and someone else. I don't even quite know what I did wrong...I just felt so weak. Maybe it's my instincts telling me that something squishy should be keeping its distance, not attacking...

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
so saying u have 50 health left and you are vlad

how is having 250 health any better

instead of 1 shot you are getting 2 shot?

i just dont understand the the mindset behind going to lane with 250 health, escpecially when he bought them (10-15 minutes in).

if u can die in 2 seconds, just go heal? it makes no sense when u could just go b, and if the lane is already pushed, heal off of q. if its not pushed, why risk

going back and spamming pots (as he calls it in other videos) just wastes gold in preparation for a situation that u shouldnt put yourself in anyway

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
so saying u have 50 health left and you are vlad

how is having 250 health any better

instead of 1 shot you are getting 2 shot?

i just dont understand the the mindset behind going to lane with 250 health, escpecially when he bought them (10-15 minutes in).

if u can die in 2 seconds, just go heal? it makes no sense when u could just go b, and if the lane is already pushed, heal off of q. if its not pushed, why risk

going back and spamming pots (as he calls it in other videos) just wastes gold in preparation for a situation that u shouldnt put yourself in anyway
I honestly can't believe how you could ask these questions. He basically just gave you the answers to them all. It's much safer as vlad to heal up at tower with 250 health than 50. And losing 11 gold is basically negligible.

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
i have a problem with the answers obviously

similar to how u are asking questions ive already supplied my answer to LOL

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
i have a problem with the answers obviously

similar to how u are asking questions ive already supplied my answer to LOL
ok, then continue to dislike them and continue to not buy pots. I will continue to buy them. I gave you my legitimate answer, why would you try to continue to argue? I mean, you're talking about revolver sustainability and you seriously don't see the upside to 1 shot vs. 2 shot on the tower? 1 shot = nothing to bait, if you try to Q a creep you die instead. 2 shot = you get shot, you Q a creep, heal up 200 HP, force more commitment and have time to force your opponent to draw agro and then pool. This isn't rocket science and you're free to disagree, but where's the argument assuming we have a fundamental difference of opinion? (though frankly this is only borderline opinion, my reasoning is pretty sensible and holds a hell of a lot of water vs. "i want 11 gold rather than potentially losing a tower/dying unnecessarily")

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
if a pot was worth 11 gold

wait its 35, and that adds up

im saying how often will u need to sit at a tower with 250 health?

u can get dived anyway, just with slightly more difficulty
im not arguing. im just saying i think its a waste. no argument at all

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't like pots? You stay in lane longer after harass so you can farm more and harass more instead of going back so your opponent gets some free farm and levels on you.

Try this Safehaven. Buy 2 pots. The next time you're low enough for your opponent to kill you, pop both of the potions one after another and see how much farm you get from then on until you need to go back to base. It's gonna cover that 70g EASILY.

D

Deleted member

is the off season where there will be NO RANKED games for a few months, then season 2 starts?

if so, then that will seriously blow

chaox is a very talented dude on team solomid, he runs a livestream and is pretty ****ing annoying to listen to but he's really good

john!

Smash Hero
Anyone here a savvy Rammus that can help a baby Rammus out with early-game?
:)
rammus is a good jungler, get flat armor yellows and start with cloth armor + 5 health pots. start at blue and hit all 5 camps the first time, level w-q-w-e then start ganking, prioritize r>e>w>q. idk how experienced you are with jungling, if you aren't then try it in practice mode first :)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I didn't understand a single piece of lingo you used in that sentence except for "gank".

john!

Smash Hero
you know how there are three lanes on the map, and jungles in between? monsters spawn in those jungles starting at around the two minute mark. usually teams send one person mid and two people to each side lane... but in high level play they only send one person to the top lane. the fifth person does "jungling" which is killing the monsters in the jungle for gold and experience. this way the solo top lane is able to level up faster, and team gets more gold and experience overall. also the other team has no idea where you are while jungling, so you can surprise them with ganks very easily and usually pick up a kill or two.

rammus is probably in my top 5 most played champions and i always jungle with him. you can play him in lane, but once you get good with him (and your account hits level 20) you should probably learn to jungle with him. he's been nerfed though and his jungling might not be easy if you haven't done it before. good heroes to start jungling with are warwick, trundle, amumu, nunu, and xin.

if you're in lane then you will want an hp regen item like regrowth pendant or doran's shield so that you can take harassment. make sure to last-hit creeps, and don't push your lane too far if the other team has a jungler (actually this applies to every champion lol).

you'll pick up a lot of this stuff just by playing and watching what good players do.

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
for all the people who dont understand

i mean buying pots as vlad at level 9 once laning is OVER like reginald did
maybe watch the video before entering all your bad critique about how pots are always good

ok. if u want to buy a pot that heals the same amount over 10 seconds as 1 q does, then be my guest, i really dont care, just ignore logic, cause a lot of people like to do that anyways

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
for all the people who dont understand

i mean buying pots as vlad at level 9 once laning is OVER like reginald did
maybe watch the video before entering all your bad critique about how pots are always good

ok. if u want to buy a pot that heals the same amount over 10 seconds as 1 q does, then be my guest, i really dont care, just ignore logic, cause a lot of people like to do that anyways
o

I agree with you then lol.

Very rarely are you gonna buy pots at that level. If you're losing your lane real bad or something then I can see it happening tho.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Feels bad because half his value is placing a circle on the ground, but is pretty good imo.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Feels bad because half his value is placing a circle on the ground, but is pretty good imo.
Early game he deals absurdly high damage from a ridiculous poke.

He can also gib the enemy wraiths.

Ranked queue is once again available.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
You sell pots back for 24 gold, so if you don't use them and sell them back later, you only lose 11 gold per pot. That's where the 11 gold comes from.

*resumes lurking*

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
you know how there are three lanes on the map, and jungles in between? monsters spawn in those jungles starting at around the two minute mark. usually teams send one person mid and two people to each side lane... but in high level play they only send one person to the top lane. the fifth person does "jungling" which is killing the monsters in the jungle for gold and experience. this way the solo top lane is able to level up faster, and team gets more gold and experience overall. also the other team has no idea where you are while jungling, so you can surprise them with ganks very easily and usually pick up a kill or two.
Makes plenty of sense. I can see why it'd help to jungle.

rammus is probably in my top 5 most played champions and i always jungle with him. you can play him in lane, but once you get good with him (and your account hits level 20) you should probably learn to jungle with him. he's been nerfed though and his jungling might not be easy if you haven't done it before. good heroes to start jungling with are warwick, trundle, amumu, nunu, and xin.
I've always been told that Rammus is a very weak jungler in comparison to everyone else that jungles.

if you're in lane then you will want an hp regen item like regrowth pendant or doran's shield so that you can take harassment. make sure to last-hit creeps, and don't push your lane too far if the other team has a jungler (actually this applies to every champion lol).
I have a conflict with that. I always stay in the lane, but I'm always struggling to figure out what I should start with.

I usually go with Cloth Armor + Health Potions because it gives me that offense boost that I love thanks to Rammus' passive ability, while giving me the defense to handle pretty much anyone who tries to sneak in and hit me with a physical. It also eventually helps me to set up Thornmail since it's reduces the price.

I also only buy two health potions because it means getting my items sooner.

However, I've been having more or less the same early-game success with Doran's Shield. Less armor and offense, but I have health regen. It DOES put me at zero gold as well, but it's so much more safe than my alternative purchase. A problem I've seen is that the shield doesn't really help me out towards the later half of the game, and I typically end up selling it.

The first thing I focus on getting item-wise is Heart of Gold > Mercury Treads > Aegis of the Legion, since I've been told that those are typically decent choices for Rammus in the early portions of the game.

I'm having a similar problem with the later two items after Heart of Gold, though. Mercury Treads is fine, since it gives me that Magic resist while also granted tenacity and +2 movement speed, but I'm REALLY starting to love Ninja Tabi. It's 400 Gold cheaper, gives me dodge chances, more defense (which means more offense), and still have me with the +2 movement speed that I desperately need.

I've been more fond of Tabi lately because of that.

I'm also wondering whether or not Aegis is also any good to buy over anything else, like Thornmail or stronger armor.

I also typically buy whatever helps me more with what I'm having trouble with. If I see a team of majority spell casters, I go for the Treads.

Also, I have a question regarding the consistency with purchasing items. I tend to buy all of the fragments before the items themselves so I can have those decent boosts before buying the actual item. For example, I buy that crystal thing before Heart of Gold for 475 Gold since it gives me a hefty HP boost. I do this for pretty much every item, but I'm wondering how often I should be doing this.

I know that doing it too often is dangerous because it takes away my presence from a lane (since lane is pretty much all I do with Rammus), so knowing when to call myself back for a new item would help a bunch with my consistency with protecting my turrets and keeping champions away.

I usually don't see the point to health regen over defense for Rammus, especially considering how efficient he is with his defense curl. That isn't to say that I disregard it. Typically, if I'm having more magic trouble, and Thornmail is my typical next product, I usually opt for Force of Nature instead. If I already have Thornmail, then Force of Nature is typically my next item.

After I get those two items, I'm usually at this point (assuming I have Aegis):

1) Heart of Gold, Mercury Treads/Ninja Tabi, Aegis of the Legion, Thornmail, Force of Nature
2) Doran's Shield, Heart of Gold, Mercury Treads/Ninja Tabi, Aegis of the Legion, Thornmail, Force of Nature

I've been opting for that Spitfire item that grants +45 Defense (and offense, obv) and does 35 damage to surrounding enemies, or Guardian Angel. I have been experimenting with other items as well, but I just don't feel like I know exactly what I SHOULD be doing during the later half of the game.

There's another item that I shoot for every now and then. Randuin's Omen always seemed effective, and Glacial Shroud is something I've considered but never tried, and I'm not sure how helpful it'd be.

I want to do Frozen Heart since it gives so much Defense, but that defeats the purpose of the Taunt to Defense Curl setup's intention. I've even tried Atma's Impaler once, but it was kinda meh.

I've also given Shurelya's Reverie. It helps, but not so much so.

As for Rammus spell chart flow, I'm curious as to why you start out with the curl over his roll. I always found the spindash (lol) to be the best thing to start with since it's amazing for movement, goes well with Flash for possible early ganks, and is a great way to avoid getting ganked early game, since I typically don't focus on movement speed until after I've gotten my Heart of Gold.

My flow is usually to start with spindash, then alternate between Taunt and Defense, leveling up Tremor whenever it allows me to. Once I have everything maxed out except for the spin, then I finish up until Level 18 with the spin itself.

Is that set you gave me primarily for jungle Rammus? Because that's what I'm assuming, and I know I can be pretty wrong about that since I'm barely still getting the hang of everything.

Most of the guides I've read also emphasize the important of the spin as your first skill, so I'm curious, is all.

you'll pick up a lot of this stuff just by playing and watching what good players do.
Good players play Rammus? :(

=====

Thanks for the feedback so far, btw. We should play sometime so you can help me out with that too. :)

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
So LaneWick is way more fun than jungling with the wolf and MAY even be better too.

Open double philo stone, Zerks/Mercs/Sorcs, Spirit Visage, Sunfire, Madreds, sell/upgrade philos and then either build more damage or more tank items depending on what the game calls for. Ghost/Ignite, 0-21-9 or 9-0-21, then whatever runes you want to run on the dude. Health, movement speed, AD, CDR, whatever. Farm like a boss. Harass/heal with Q. And then when team fights come you ult whoever is scariest and then stay in the thick of things healing yourself and boosting attack speed while your sunfire does bonus damage to everyone in the scrum.

john!

Smash Hero
lots of rammus stuff
cloth + health pots is another good start that i forgot about.

i used to get sunfire cape (this is the spitfire item lmao) + banshee's on rammus every game, but both of those items have been nerfed since i played him frequently and i'm not sure if they are the best choices anymore. aegis is a good item too.

in case you don't know how defense works: armor and magic resist just reduce the amount of damage you take from physical/magic damage respectively, but health lets you take more of that damage. on most defensive champs, it's best to get a mix of health/armor/magic resist items, but rammus has the best resistance ability in the game (curl) so you will want to focus on items that also have health (like sunfire cape, banshee's, randuin's, aegis, shurelya's reverie, even warmog's armor if you get it early). thornmail and force of nature aren't bad items, but they're really situational on rammus imo. philo stone and heart of gold are good too, just comes down to personal preference. rammus is flexible with items.

i max curl over powerball because powerball has the same speed boost and cooldown for all levels. the only thing you get by maxing powerball is 200 more damage (doing damage isn't rammus' job anyway) and 20% more slow. plus it costs more mana. leveling up powerball once before 6 is a good idea though. i can see why a sonic main would want to max out powerball :bee: but it's just not as good to level up as his other skills.

and good players don't play much rammus anymore :( but that doesn't mean he's not viable! his ganking in particular is really good, if you're doing good enough in your side lane then you could try ganking mid with powerball + taunt. i'm inexperienced with lane rammus but who knows, he could be good. people thought warwick was jungle-only until recently, now you see a lot of warwick players laning.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
M3D. Why run ghost on Lanewick? You're sitting in lane, you don't need to get quickly from one place to another to help/cover. Just grab Flash for easy Flash/Ults and some escapability. Rest seems pretty standard.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
cloth + health pots is another good start that i forgot about.

i used to get sunfire cape (this is the spitfire item lmao) + banshee's on rammus every game, but both of those items have been nerfed since i played him frequently and i'm not sure if they are the best choices anymore. aegis is a good item too.
I always read it as Spitfire.
lol

in case you don't know how defense works: armor and magic resist just reduce the amount of damage you take from physical/magic damage respectively, but health lets you take more of that damage. on most defensive champs, it's best to get a mix of health/armor/magic resist items, but rammus has the best resistance ability in the game (curl) so you will want to focus on items that also have health (like sunfire cape, banshee's, randuin's, aegis, shurelya's reverie, even warmog's armor if you get it early). thornmail and force of nature aren't bad items, but they're really situational on rammus imo. philo stone and heart of gold are good too, just comes down to personal preference. rammus is flexible with items.
I understand that more HP is always a good thing, but the thing about Rammus is that he's actually a pretty weak tank when he's not in his defensive stance ability. After that curl, his stats as a tank are pretty mediocre.

He may have more health with HP boosters, but he's taking MORE of it after curl. Whenever I die, it's simply because I've fallen out of my defense curl.

I haven't touched Banshee's since Blitzcrank became locked again. I totally forgot that that item exists. That could be an excellent item for late game.

I just saw Warmog's ability. I've never even touched that item, nor bothered to click on it, and now I wanna play so I can give it a whirl. It sounds amazing.

Philosopher's Stone would work out pretty well, actually, since it's just a Heart of Gold with Regen rather than Health. Plus, it builds into Reverie.

i max curl over powerball because powerball has the same speed boost and cooldown for all levels. the only thing you get by maxing powerball is 200 more damage (doing damage isn't rammus' job anyway) and 20% more slow. plus it costs more mana. leveling up powerball once before 6 is a good idea though. i can see why a sonic main would want to max out powerball :bee: but it's just not as good to level up as his other skills.
Well, I don't focus on max'ing out Powerball at all. I only meant giving it that Level 1 Powerball at the start, and that's it. I don't even make it Level 2 until everything else has been maxed out for the same reason you wouldn't level it up until later. I just like having it right away because it helps me get into position very fast, chase and run from Champions, and navigate the level. Plus, it's an amazing mindgame.

and good players don't play much rammus anymore :( but that doesn't mean he's not viable! his ganking in particular is really good, if you're doing good enough in your side lane then you could try ganking mid with powerball + taunt. i'm inexperienced with lane rammus but who knows, he could be good. people thought warwick was jungle-only until recently, now you see a lot of warwick players laning.
Whenever I fight with Rammus in lane (since I've never jungled), I just keep the champions at bay while farming gold and levels, but it's somewhat difficult to do that when the opponents are ranged. Even harder if your teammate is ranged, because they have very little risk vs. reward for farming last hits since they can be further away from the action.

And remember, Rammus' defenses are icky before a curl.

Whenever I DO fight though, I usually start out with Taunt > Curl, then as they run, chase the down with Powerball. If I'm already level 6, I use Tremor after Curl.

Also, I do this mid to late game a lot, but I use tremor against swarms of creeps to get more gold and experience fast. Is that a bad thing to do? I'd think if I had Warmog, that it'd be really good.

And from what I've experienced and understand, I'm supposed to be the initiator for team fights since I can take hits, and going in first takes attention away from my frail but stronger teammates.

I HATE laning Warwick. :(
But nothing makes me hate in this game more than Twisted Fate.

I'll have to try jungling soon.

john!

Smash Hero
jungling might be hard if you don't have the right runes/masteries. side bushes are nice to hide in when laning with rammus, since he won't get harassed in them and he can charge out of them with powerball if you and your teammate are going for a kill.

powerball is great for initiating battles, once your team is ready to commit, you should powerball straight for their squishy damage dealer, curl, and taunt them. pretty basic, but your taunt is the longest lasting hard crowd control in the game, so use it on the right guy and *make sure your team knows to focus the squishy guy that you taunt*.

it's okay to farm creeps with tremor since it's only a 60 second cooldown.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeah, Powerballing the frail ones is fun. Kinda tough to do at times, though.

I don't really have runes right now, and I'm only Level 13, so my masteries thing is still a ways to go for, but I have a decent idea of what to build towards.

I'm waiting to buy Blitzcrank (6K, are you friggin' KIDDING me? :( ) before I do anything rune based for either of them.

Blitz and Rammus are my favorite characters. Alistar is also pretty fun too.
Those three are probably the three I'll learn the most since they're my favorites.

Top Bottom