• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Ah yes, Irelia. She'll be top tier still. I don't put Garen and Nasus in the "cool kids club" due to no hard CC. I have seen some ridiculous damage output from Garen lately, though... I have a looming feeling that the changes to Jarmander will knock him down.
in many ways, wither is more reliable than Equilibrium Strike, and Decisive Strike is deceptively powerful. you don't have to have them in your cool kid's club for those guys to still be quite strong.

Mundo will continue to be an incredibly powerful sleeper in the meantime.

Kleeck

Smash Apprentice
in many ways, wither is more reliable than Equilibrium Strike, and Decisive Strike is deceptively powerful. you don't have to have them in your cool kid's club for those guys to still be quite strong.

Sure, they're strong, but I don't see them as top picks. They may become viable due to bans but in and of themselves they fall short of the "cool kids club" with members like Renekton, Jarminkus, and Irelia.

Nasus needs dat farm to reach his "nasty zone", while Garen's "nasty zone" is early game and tapers off into the midgame. The above CKC members are consistently strong throughout, with the exception of Irelia who probably hits her stride at level 6.

I really don't know what to say about Mundo except that he isn't a top tier pick. I haven't played him since his nerfs a while back.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Jarman will still have the most CC in the tanky dps club so it's very likely he will still be #1 there.
The other tanky dps in the game have like one single target hard or soft CC. Jarvan has AoE hard CC, AoE soft CC, and his ult. It's what makes him able to fill the main tank role of a team if needed.
So they make a character that offers the same level of damage as other tanky dps (exceptions being somebody like Olaf, and like a free farm Nasus), has natural tankiness built into his kit, AND has as much CC as pure tank characters?
Yeah they done goofed with Jarman.

Personally I think they just need to hit his damage output because its crazy high. That combined with hitting Philo will probably put him on the same level as the other tanky dps, or at least not on an entirely different tier of existence.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Renek is really really really really far from a top tier pick. Jarman vies for top pick and bans in reasonable games. Irelia is a reasonable pick at most points in a draft. Renek... no one cares about Renek, he is definitely way short of Irelia in terms of desirable picks and is unquestionably worse than Jarman in a draft. If there is a CKC, it's either just Jarman, Jarman and Irelia, or Jarman, Irelia, and a bunch of other dudes including Renek.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
^Renekton just doesn't have what it takes to contribute in higher level play, he does many things well, but nothing great. Irelia is a far superior/more sustainable anti-carry due to a more reliable gap closer and a less ridiculous collision box (trying to move through creeps with Renekton always makes me angry) and better sustained dps, Jarvan is a better tank and has ridiculous utility, and Trundle/Lee/even Xin Zhao are better Tanky DPS junglers than he is.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
5hitCombo has informed me that he talked to Morello during a game and that it looks like Gold/10 items are going to have their Gold/10 property changed to unique.

Other Morello leaked info is coming in from random twitter/facebook/blog sources, iirc. Nothing terribly official.
Eh, I'd still nerf the stats on P stone a bit. It's not like you HAVE to stack them for it to be effective. Cut out some of the mana regen, make people have to actually try to get mana regen instead of starting Health Pendant and 300 gold later BAM mana regen.

Eh, sorta. The big problem Whither has is that Tenacity ***** how effective it is since the CC scales over time. Especially noticeable on champs like Irelia and Trundle, targets you would want to whither outside of carries, they barely notice whither at all and take 2/less seconds of a small slow/as setback while leaving your spell on more than 10 sec cooldown (unless you have huge CDR on Nasus). If they changed Whither to where Tenacity sped up the scaling process but still had it occur for a shorter duration, then it would definitely be more reliable. But it sucks putting Whither on someone and watching them not even get to the "gross" part of it before it's over.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
yea, it's also tough to draw the lines regarding what constitutes this category of character. I just just thinking laners who are somewhat tanky, but when you start adding junglers to the mix it shakes up the spots lower than jarman.

EDIT: @PX: I'd say the bigger problem with Wither is actually the super ****ty cast animation. Christ is it bad.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Last night the enemy first-picked Jarvan after I told our first pick to ban him (The side effect of quick ELO rise is that you start being bottom pick instead of first after a bit 3: ).

Despite going 12/2/9 early as Kass I never managed to kill their Jarvan and my team floundered underneath his might late as their Cait slowly got fed.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I find it upsetting they release snippets of nerfs they plan on doing right before a major tournament. It's kinda like saying, "Okay guys, you'll have an advantage if you pick Vlad and your team stacks Gold/10 items."

But hey, most people already knew this anyway.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
everyone knows gold/10 is very strong. vlad though, he's actually not all that OP and I don't expect to see him picked a lot. it's more of a dislike his concept and the way he plays not being fun than a blatantly OP thing.
This post made my day

Thanks mog

and yep, its exactly what happened to pantheon. I was maining panth when that nerf hit, I dont even play vlad I just feel bad for vlad players.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
and every time Annie drops a bear on me I die and she gets 300 gold. what's your point? Every time WW Qs me he gets 1.5 free healing potions and he doesn't even need an item to have it happen. Oh yea and he has a suppression that nukes you for a metric ****ton (give or take) letting him Q -> ult + ignite -> Q and just kill pretty much anyone. there's enough stupid **** in this game that I really don't think Vlad is anything more than horrifically unfun due to every single one of his abilities other than E being super unfun and annoying in 1 way or another.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Reginald's Vlad - One of the BEST laning commentary videos I've seen. Great vid for noobs to learn zoning, denying, creep "pulling", general laning (own3d.tv)

http://www.own3d.tv/video/132128/Reginald_s_Vladimir_Commentary

His thought process is what goes through my head during my whole laning phase. This vid is really helpful.
I agree, this is pretty much what everyone should be thinking about while laning. Glad someone made something like this, and I hope that the newer players get a look at this and try to apply it.

Kleeck

Smash Apprentice
Renek is really really really really far from a top tier pick. Jarman vies for top pick and bans in reasonable games. Irelia is a reasonable pick at most points in a draft. Renek... no one cares about Renek, he is definitely way short of Irelia in terms of desirable picks and is unquestionably worse than Jarman in a draft. If there is a CKC, it's either just Jarman, Jarman and Irelia, or Jarman, Irelia, and a bunch of other dudes including Renek.
I don't think he's that many "really"s from a solid draft pick, but I digress. I do think he's probably in the ballpark of Xin, and maybe Lee Sin. (For some reason I have a hard time placing Lee Sin into this category.)

Irelia is stronger, for sure. I never would question Jarmans current dominance. My initial speculation was "If Jarman is nerfed down who would rise up." I think Irelia is a strong option, but I think Renek would benefit as well, to a lesser degree.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I don't think he's that many "really"s from a solid draft pick, but I digress. I do think he's probably in the ballpark of Xin, and maybe Lee Sin. (For some reason I have a hard time placing Lee Sin into this category.)

Irelia is stronger, for sure. I never would question Jarmans current dominance. My initial speculation was "If Jarman is nerfed down who would rise up." I think Irelia is a strong option, but I think Renek would benefit as well, to a lesser degree.
He really really is. :p (seriously). I mean, w/e, he's a fine pick when there's no Irelia/Jarman, but he is pretty heavily outclassed by those 2 and is in the 2nd/3rd class ballpark of pretty much everyone else.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
and every time Annie drops a bear on me I die and she gets 300 gold. what's your point? Every time WW Qs me he gets 1.5 free healing potions and he doesn't even need an item to have it happen. Oh yea and he has a suppression that nukes you for a metric ****ton (give or take) letting him Q -> ult + ignite -> Q and just kill pretty much anyone. there's enough stupid **** in this game that I really don't think Vlad is anything more than horrifically unfun due to every single one of his abilities other than E being super unfun and annoying in 1 way or another.
The only difference I see with WW and Vlad is Vlad can spam abilities always while WW only can if he has blue. Same with Swain in that regard. There was just that critical level with Vlad where he could herp derp roll face on keyboard target you or minions and constantly push while never having to go back and being relatively hard to gank due to pool + summoners. So that combo of no mana + huge lane sustain just made him incredibly annoying. It's basically he is a souped up philosopher stone of sustainability.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
in the philostone meta of right now, WW outlasts Vlad pretty hard and has a lot more lane presence a lot earlier. When they nerf Philo, nothing will change except that WW will grab an early miracle at the same time as his 2nd Philo (or he'll do some chalice nonsense, not sure which yet) and he'll be every bit as stupid. all I'm really trying to say is that Vlad is an annoyance outlier, not a power outlier.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
WW doesn't Q every 2 seconds with a nuke that scales with stats you're expected to get. I mean the Annie part sure, she's a *****.

Either way, I don't mind seeing champs with kits that tend to lead to unfun play being nerfed. The Pantheons/Heimers/etc's of the game. Now, if they Nerf Vlad but then leave Vayne alone, or some crap like that, then **** this ****.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I don't really like the idea of taking unfun and just making it unviable though.
It's like, "we don't like his style. So we're going to make it so we never see it again. No mandropping for you." Instead of "Let's rework the character's unfun mechanics and revamp their style to be fun."

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
WW doesn't Q every 2 seconds with a nuke that scales with stats you're expected to get. I mean the Annie part sure, she's a *****.

Either way, I don't mind seeing champs with kits that tend to lead to unfun play being nerfed. The Pantheons/Heimers/etc's of the game. Now, if they Nerf Vlad but then leave Vayne alone, or some crap like that, then **** this ****.
wait, so lanewick isn't really well known yet or what?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
wait, so lanewick isn't really well known yet or what?
No, because most people force WW into a jungle position when they see him chosen.

I got to lane with a lanewick once as Jarvan. 6 minute tower felt gooooooood, that double steroid.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The thing is, Lanewick, while having ridiculous sustain and very solid damage, has mana, which he can run out of, and his CDs are decently long enough (nowhere near Transfusion CD). Also he has to choose between whether or not he wants to build bulk or damage, unlike Vlad, who builds damage and gets defense (though it is just health, it's pretty huge when compared to other casters/DPS) at the same time (his biggest inherent flaw imo).

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I don't terribly much care for the direct comparison right now but would be happy to stomp on some of your vlads with WW if you so please. All I'm trying to say is that there's stupid **** in this game that's really powerful and I don't think Vlad is out of line from a power perspective.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I don't terribly much care for the direct comparison right now but would be happy to stomp on some of your vlads with WW if you so please. All I'm trying to say is that there's stupid **** in this game that's really powerful and I don't think Vlad is out of line from a power perspective.
That is a horrible idea and you know it.

Disappoint mogwai.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Just got Nocturne. Give me your tips - ALL OF THEM!!!!

And a specific question: is Atmog's the best build for him?
Get really good at baiting spellshield, but also make sure to save it for important stuff - Don't spellshield a damage spell only to get rooted.

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
well u see

lanewick is just like vlad-

but i watched that video, and i pretty much do the same thing regi does, except i try to do it with champions other than vlad, which is not as easy..

also regi should not be buying health pots as vladimir against corki once he has revolver rofl.
thats like a bad habit that people still do. like someone goes to lane with giants belt and 2 philo stones and buys 2 health pots... like what a waste

Top Bottom