• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Abel1994

Smash Lord
I just got ***** on a 5v5... I fallowed a diffrent guide which had no HP buying at all but more Ap and shielding... FAIL!

fkacyan

Smash Hero
When I play Jarvan I don't feel like I'm playing the game. I feel more like Jarvan is playing and showing me what could be.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
let's discuss that Cait. I've been going either bloodthirster or cleaver as first major item over IE because they're cheaper and have pretty significant effects. Cleaver early is my favorite because it makes her hit like a truck but I'll get bloodthirster if I need the sustain. Sometimes I'll go cleaver then thirster but that's only if I'm fed. If I get thirster first I go phantom dancer last whisper usually.

I've been running a rune page with armor pen reds, flat ad yellows, as blues, and flat ad quints. It puts out mad early deeps but I have to conserve mana. I've actually been leveling weqqqr then r>q>w>e. I like having that early net to assure safety from fast ganks if I'm suspicious of one. Start harrassing with q around lvl 5 for mana efficiency and just auto before that. Lay traps in lane to limit options and guarantee q's.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Morde can easily 1v3, 1v5 not so much.
If he's outleveled the enemy physical carry and they're glass cannon, he can easily instagib them and go on to 1v5 penta with their ghost, especially if he has spell vamp.

The ghost will heal him and provide him with shield.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Darc, Boxman, and I just had the stupidest game.
The other team didn't even GG us at the end. That's how stupid it was that we won with just a dead rush into their base with reckless abandon.

-DD

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Trying out Irelia because she's free and all.... I use Katarina, so I wanna learn a viable assassin.... but Irelia's Ult is the stupidest thing to aim and she doesn't seem as tanky as she should be. Idk why an evenly geared AD TF (both 18) can take me down before I take him down 1v1.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Played Jarvan for the first time yesterday and didn't do so great. And then did phenomenally EVERY GAME AFTER.

Seriously... dat Q does WAYYYY too much damage. I also didn't realize how ridiculously easy it is for Jar to clear creep waves. Character is ****ing bonkers.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
While I'm afraid of how badly they will nerf Jarvan, I'm also very curious to see how they nerf him. Will it be damage? His tankiness? I'm assuming they weaken his Q and making Gp5 items unique and/or probably halve the health and mana regen on philo to make the gold cost more balanced with the other gp5 items (afaik philo is OP in what you get per gold, kage's is UP if your comparing ). I'm not sure how they do the math really, but I've seen it enough to know that the rest of the gp5 items hover around some gold ratio per stats and philo and kage's pick do not.

Edit: @ Abel:

Something you need to understand about Armor/Magic Resist/ Health. Mogwai or someone else can explain this much better. But understand that for cost Armor and Magic Resist typically are much more effective at mitigation damage (effectively increasing your health) than health is once you have a certain amount. But you typically do get items with health in them such as Heart of Gold, Triforce, Banshee's Veil.

I'm thinking with the current meta Nasus with 2 philostones's could probably farm forever if he wasn't ganked. Almost positive that philo is going to receive some type of nerf though.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Jarman IV is the best character in the game imho. He has good innate tankiness, good innate damage, good damage scaling, and excellent CC. He works in every lane and in the jungle and due to the flexibility in his design can play Melee AD Carry, Primary Tank, or anything in between.
just gonna point out that I've been saying Jarman es #1 for well over a month now. just some food for thought.

regarding how they're going to nerf him, they're going to have to hit Q, E and his passive. Q's hit will most likely be a considerable smack upside the head to it's damage. E might take small damage nerfs + some sort of reworking on the buff numbers so that Jarman doesn't get 52 Armor and 52% AS for free while providing well over 1000 gold worth of those stats to each member of his team. Passive % will probably be dropped to 8% or something like that.

I mean, the simple fact of the matter is that you can't nerf his "tankiness" without attacking his core design and reworking him. His kit just makes him an incredible tank, it has nothing to do with any individual abilities actually tanking him out and has everything to do with the fact that he has 3 AoE CCs and the base damage numbers that let him build very strong tanking items. They might smack down his base stat growth too, but those numbers don't seem terribly out of line, whereas his abilities' numbers do.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Edit: @ Abel:

Something you need to understand about Armor/Magic Resist/ Health. Mogwai or someone else can explain this much better. But understand that for cost Armor and Magic Resist typically are much more effective at mitigation damage (effectively increasing your health) than health is once you have a certain amount. But you typically do get items with health in them such as Heart of Gold, Triforce, Banshee's Veil.

I'm thinking with the current meta Nasus with 2 philostones's could probably farm forever if he wasn't ganked. Almost positive that philo is going to receive some type of nerf though.
At 100, armor and mag res mitigate 50% of damage taken.
At 200, it's 67%
At 300, it's 75%
And beyond that, it basically shouldn't matter.
(Correct my numbers if incorrect, please.)

So basically, there's a much better benefit to have 1000 hp and 100 mag resist than to have 1200 hp and 30 mag resist.
On the other side of the coin, when you already have above 200 mag res, another 20 won't always help you out as much as some more HP would, because you'd only get like 1-2% more mitigation.

Anyway, on Nasus, I don't really feel like I need any more than one philostone. Then again, Gangplank is the only char (I don't play any support yet, but that's next on the checklist) on whom I stack more than one gold-gain item. Philo + Avarice.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
if I have 100 hp and 0% mitigation and you have 100 attack damage, it takes 1 hit to kill me
if I instead have 50% mitigation, it takes 2 hits to kill me
if I instead have 67% mitigation, it takes 3 hits to kill me
if I instead have 75% mitigation, it takes 4 hits to kill me

just because the % damage reduction doesn't look linear doesn't mean there are real diminishing returns on Armor.

but anyway, the bigger take away is that if I have more mitigation, additional HP is worth more, if I have more HP, additional mitigation is worth more. they're cyclical and thus the stats need to be balanced to optimize gold efficiency.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I get to be hipster like Mogwai b/c I've been playing the Jman since release :p

They just need to nerf his damage in lane (on Q in particular) to make him good, but not OP. He can still provide the % armor reduction, keep the CDs for flag/Q knockup, and the ult can still be a solid nuke and provide a wall so he remains an incredibly bulky, disruptive tank, they just need to fix the damage he does so he has some sort of downside.

Here's to hoping they don't mess up his utility entirely while they flail around trying to fix him.

EDIT: Where's the source on that Vlad nerf?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
5hitCombo has informed me that he talked to Morello during a game and that it looks like Gold/10 items are going to have their Gold/10 property changed to unique.

Other Morello leaked info is coming in from random twitter/facebook/blog sources, iirc. Nothing terribly official.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Definitely after, but by that point it was painfully obvious to most people, lol.

I feel like the Gold/10 thing should have been changed to being unique per item, instead of unique all around. This way people with gold issues could still someone fix them without abusing anything.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Definitely after, but by that point it was painfully obvious to most people, lol.

I feel like the Gold/10 thing should have been changed to being unique per item, instead of unique all around.
unique only ever applies per item EXCEPT for Sheen clones (not exactly sure why that exception exists tbh). so in other words, it is what you felt like it should be and not what you thought I said :p.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
See I'm not sure that gold/10 is an OP stat... it's just when it comes with an item that is extremely efficient, then you have problems.

Heart of Gold stacking was good because it was pretty gold efficient (having one is still not a bad thing, but stacking them definitely doesn't have the amazingness it used to)
Phil Stones are great because they're gold efficient just by stats alone (not including the gold/10).

This somewhat comes back to carry strength vs tanky dps strength.
Carries can't really afford to buy Gold/10 items, 800 gold for a philo stone? DUDE I NEED MY BF SWORD.
Most AP carries can't really afford to get them either.

Nerfing the gold/10 may just result in the next most efficient item getting too much love and nerfed (I'm looking at you RoA) because it gets abused by the tanky dps. OR when they nerf it suddenly tanky dps won't be as strong anymore and ranged carries will be op again, right?

hahahahahhahahaha.

hahahahahahahahah
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Kleeck

Smash Apprentice
The hipster underground is strong here.

So, Jarman gets nerfed: How does the AD Melee tier list shift? I see Renekton rising up pretty hard. Thoughts?

Also, glad to see that Yorick isn't spawning ghoul types randomly as suggested by UTDZac a while ago. I think his kit looks super cool. VERY curious about the details of his ult.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The thing I'm most interested to see about Yorick will be how his ultimate affects a champion's death timer.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
OK! Now I have mp problem with nasus lol what should I buy that will help me through out the game thats a MP reg item?

Kleeck

Smash Apprentice
unless they hit him harder than I anticipate, Jarman will probably still be #1, Irelia will probably still be #2, and after them will be a cluster**** of Garen, Renek, and Nasus.
Ah yes, Irelia. She'll be top tier still. I don't put Garen and Nasus in the "cool kids club" due to no hard CC. I have seen some ridiculous damage output from Garen lately, though... I have a looming feeling that the changes to Jarmander will knock him down.

Top Bottom