• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Because even before Nunu was flavor of the month jungler Morello said he was OP. He just couldn't get away with nerfing an underplayed champion. Now that he's popular, Morello is finally getting the chance to nerf him down. I don't know what you nerf on him though and leave the champ effective. Nerf his AP ratios and he's got to build some damage instead of defenses, which will make him a melee/close range mage who just dies when he tries to ult. Nerfing blood boil or consume is just stupid and would probably make him much weaker in the jungle. Since he's not a strong enough caster to get a solo and not a strong enough support to justify taking over the healers, then he really wouldn't have a spot in the game anymore. I guess you could nerf the slows on E and R so he can't gank as effectively, but even then he's not really super strong in any other category and again nerfs his jungle.

@PX, I've been taking Ghost because I feel like as bulky as WW is naturally I'm more likely to escape more ganks with Ghost than Flash. I can survive one hit of CC or even two, hit Ghost and run out, stopping to heal with Q if I need to. Ghost is up like twice as often as Flash since I don't run 21 in Utility to reduce its cooldown.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
maybe nerf his cooldowns so he can't have someone permaslowed with E and he can't have two people running around with blood boil?

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
If they nerf his cooldowns, Nunu is literally useless end-game. His ult already has an insanely long one. He usually only gets 1-2 snowballs off in a team fight and consume is a wasted skill in most team fights anyways. Bloodboil buffing the carry is really his only job once his ult is blown.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
That's the thing.
I'm trying to think about what you nerf on Nunu without hurting him way too much.
He's absolutely brilliant in the jungle but just okay everywhere else, and I see things going two ways. Either they nerf his jungle and the big reason to play for him, or they kill his utility and make him more or less dead weight when he comes out of the jungle. When the lategame roles around Nunu offers slows and Bloodboil on your carry and not much else. Team coordination, wards, and good cv usage also limits his ability to control the enemy jungle so even there he can be handled by top teams.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
If they only nerf the slow percentage, then I won't QQ too much about it I guess. Its just silly to take a champ that is a dead weight late game anyways and weaken his early game too. Morello is the king of overnerfs.

:phone:

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Just played against a good Orianna for the first time. Wow. Riot continues to amaze me with how often they make heroes that are simply unfun to play against. Hurr durr there's a ball in your creeps, if you try to come close, you take damage. If you try to avoid my damage and actually manage to get to me, I have scaling autoattack damage and a shield.

Sigh. Also, is it just me or is Vayne kinda bad? She makes me think of Jax. Needs to itemize in too many directions to actually get anything done.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Sigh. Also, is it just me or is Vayne kinda bad? She makes me think of Jax. Needs to itemize in too many directions to actually get anything done.
How so? She starts off by building up AS+Sheen, so her auto attacks proc faster and her tumble damage is even higher and can keep her going until late game, where she'll invest in AD for some super damage output.

-DD

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
nah vayne isnt bad. she has a good escape, tumble, awesome true damage, w, and a ranged knockback/stun. every game i have a vayne, they just clean up so well. *we get almost aced, but vayne died way before and just respawned. all enemies r low, vayne pops ult, gets 32498739437movement speed, kills every1*

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just played against a good Orianna for the first time. Wow. Riot continues to amaze me with how often they make heroes that are simply unfun to play against. Hurr durr there's a ball in your creeps, if you try to come close, you take damage. If you try to avoid my damage and actually manage to get to me, I have scaling autoattack damage and a shield.

You should play with me. I'm a good Orianna.

Also, vayne is nowhere close to bad.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
<---teach me the ways

Idk if im supposed to be playing her like a carry or like a support...cuz that shield is really good and with the right tank (JARMAN!) she can just pass the rock to him aand then W->R for some major damage.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I typically don't try to carry with her. Her AP ratios are plenty good, and her cooldowns are short enough that you CAN play her as a carry. But I find her contribution as a support/ quasi-AP carry to be more effective. Her AOE damage is not to be taken lightly in team fights, and her ult is fantastic for positioning games and disruptin malz/ww ults and whatnot.

I build her 9-0-21, with clairvoyance and flash. Magpen reds, mana regen yellows, scaling AP blues, flat AP quints. start with 2 mana pendants. Go back at 1240 gold for 2 philo stones. Alternatively, go back at 970 gold for 1 philo and boots.

double philo -> tier 2 boots (either CDR, mercs, or sorc shoes, depending on the game. usually mercs.)
then i usually go soul shroud before building any AP. you could build your cap here right away, but I find it more fun to build morellos or DFG first. I like the cdr more than the extra AP. Remember your mana regen is huge right now, so spamming your spells is going to work out just fine for you. So spam with good CDR.

After morellos/DFG, I would build Cap, and then decide from there what I need. There are probably 15 items you could build next depending on what's going on. Be smart and make good decisions from there. Don't be shy about building banshee's or frozen heart or aegis or shurelias instead of more AP if that's what the team needs. Especially if you have a malz or someone who is a strong AP carry without you needing to fill the magic damage role yourself.

Your team fight combo is usually Q R W E Q. Your auto attacks are fantastic so use them in fights. Don't move into the fight to reach their carries, though. Just auto attack whoever you can reach from the back and contribute mostly with your spells. Nothing wrong with your auto hitting the tank while your spells hit everyone else.

You will farm like a boss. All game. You push lanes really well. Don't be shy about it. Grab that gold. You're not a soraka support who doesn't farm, because you will SUCK at supporting with that style. You are a hybrid support/ap carry/lane pusher. Do all 3 well and you're team should thank you at the end of the game when you go 3-0-22.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
I am definitely trying that build when I get home....I was doing the double philostone thing already but everything after that was kinda a jumble

also can that build work on janna?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes it works on Janna too, although with Janna you actually don't need to farm nearly as much. Janna might be a stronger support because of she doesn't need the farm and the carries can take it instead. Janna's more of a pure utility support, whereas Orianna is a hybrid support / AP damage dealer.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Vayne needs more itemization than other carries? Dunno. She isn't having to get a lot of other stats carries aren't looking for (its not like Ashe wants to skip AS/Crit/Damage/defensive/tenacity/etc).

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
vayne build:

2 dorans blades -> boots (either mercs, or zerkers) -> zeal -> BF sword ->bloodthirster -> BF sword -> black cleaver -> phantom dancer -> IE

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought none of the supports needed to farm...
Orianna is mediocre as a pure support, and gets outshined by zilean, soraka, janna, and sona. She's best played as a hybrid. I almost always end up with over 200 cs as her, and more often than not 300 if the game goes long at all. I end up doing carry damage with all the utility of a support, and I'm unkillable.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
vayne build:

2 dorans blades -> boots (either mercs, or zerkers) -> zeal -> BF sword ->bloodthirster -> BF sword -> black cleaver -> phantom dancer -> IE
Where is Banshee/GA? I mean I like stacking damage and crit, but god damn

I'd also get AS sooner than Black Cleaver. Bloodthirster, assuming you aren't losing stacks a lot, gives you a ton of AD. Getting AS/Crit sooner would probably be better.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Orianna is mediocre as a pure support, and gets outshined by zilean, soraka, janna, and sona. She's best played as a hybrid. I almost always end up with over 200 cs as her, and more often than not 300 if the game goes long at all. I end up doing carry damage with all the utility of a support, and I'm unkillable.
One key advantage of having a support is that you can have 3 solo lanes. If you are "hybrid" then someone is missing out on cs. Hybrid support isn't as strong as a normal support.

Imo, Orianna shouldn't be played as a support. She does too much damage during the laning phase.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Cool, so Orianna is designed to simply force passive play from her opponents in lane. Thumbs up to Riot, let's watch them nerf a hero no one plays anymore (Vlad). FUN FUN FUN, IT'S FRIDAY.

Figures that when I stop building Sheen and get lazy with Vayne going for double philo stones I start doing poorly. Idk about DBlade opening on her. Regrowth pendant seems like a must.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Cool

Figures that when I stop building Sheen and get lazy with Vayne going for double philo stones I start doing poorly. Idk about DBlade opening on her. Regrowth pendant seems like a must.
Most ranged AD/AP carries don't get gp5 items as far as I'm aware, being the carry you need your core items quicker. Have you had success going double philo on other AD carries like Corki/Ashe/MF? That might be why you have issues going double philo on her. Dblade start is great on her if your going bot with a support and your getting all the cs. Going solo is still whatever you feel like going imo.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Cool, so Orianna is designed to simply force passive play from her opponents in lane. Thumbs up to Riot, let's watch them nerf a hero no one plays anymore (Vlad). FUN FUN FUN, IT'S FRIDAY.

I mean you can force her to throw the ball/activate it, push the lane, and farm from a safer distance. She can't farm and non push and zone and not overextend a bit at the same time.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Yes she can. You can set the ball beyond the creep wave and just zone them from behind your creeps. She farms easily with her AA, I don't miss last hits when I go for them as her, ever.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
vayne build:

hmmm I've been building somewhat like this but it always turns into:

(I can't play with doran items unless its dorans ring for brand)

boots + pots -> wriggles -> Zerkers -> (if im getting CC'd a lot I build a Cloak and dagger here otherwise) -> emblem -> BF sword -> Starks -> Cleaver ->BV

which means end build is

Zerks
Wriggles
Starks fevor
Cleaver
BV
Cloak and Dagger.

good?...bad?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

I believe the champion you're actually referring to is Urgot.

OH WAIT HE'S BALANCED.

Hmm, looks like Orianna is too. Though she might scale a bit too well, it's hard to tell.

Also: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=845245
Sad Samurai Panda :(

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That's too slow for building damage imo. Her main draw over other carries is having insane AD scaling with her kit that you try to abuse quickly to snowball further.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've tried Vayne with double philos a few times, and I couldn't carry in mid game at all. I also didn't have the extra 200 hp from the doran's blades, so i was more susceptible to burst than ever. Vayne is squishie as hell. Especially if you play AD yellows/quints like I do, and AS blues, arPen reds. You need the extra hp.

Occasionally, I'll buy the dagger and the vampiric scepter after my first BF sword before deciding which to build first. But yeah, you gotta get that damage built quick. The only exception is to go zeal early and then rush that dmg.

Doran's blades are too good on her. I can't imagine going regrowth first ever again after feeling the difference between the two builds in terms of how fast you get your farm rolling and get geared up with dorans start.

Edit: regarding Orianna pushing when she doesn't want to.

Early game, you shouldn't use your abilities to last hit much at all, since they all do AoE damage. That will push your lane, and you'll be punished for it by anyone good. You should try to last hit with her auto attack, which is awesome btw. Use your ball behind their minions to harass. Let it create another zone for you. I'll use Q to pop it back into a wave but only if I can last hit 2-3 minions with it in one cast. This will push slightly, but as long as you're maximizing your farm while harassing, you can afford to push a little. Especially if you're bringing clairvoyance like you should be.

Don't forget that orianna escapes like a boss. Shield -> W is too good. If they manage to keep up with you, ulting them can either bounce them back, or pull them INTO your tower if that ends up being what you want to do. Flash is always there. You should always have wards ready anyways between level 4-10 in your lane. Pushing your lane with Orianna is actually rather safe, compared to most champs.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
I listen to Dastrn and Mogwai the most here...clearly the 2 most helpful guys here

Jpak used to be up there but he doesn't post as much anymore.

/meatride.

weirdly enough I'm not bad at this game I just have a problem building..but I know what im doing and where im supposed to be most of the time.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm as good as like a 2200 player it's just elo hell and i'm as good as all the top players its just you cant tell cause i'm surrounded by scrubs

just kidding, channeling my bro from a different mo.

tkbro i'm pretty sure i added you already. we should play some games together today so I can show you my orianna moves. She's too fun. She's good in all 3 lanes, too, which is nice.

solecalibur

Smash Master
i'm as good as like a 2200 player it's just elo hell and i'm as good as all the top players its just you cant tell cause i'm surrounded by scrubs

just kidding, channeling my bro from a different mo.

tkbro i'm pretty sure i added you already. we should play some games together today so I can show you my orianna moves. She's too fun. She's good in all 3 lanes, too, which is nice.
the key to high elo is to carry your team by being so good and playing who your good with
god elo hell suckkks though cause there are so MANY people playing Rambo and go 1v5 vs there team

Top Bottom