• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Also if your looking for magic damage not necessarily AP:

Wit's End, Malady, and Madred's all work on certain champs. Wit's End, in particular, is becoming really popular on junglers/top lane champs for the mr it gives as well.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Thank you for reminding me to make a Vimeo account!

I've been working on an animation using LoL models for a little bit now...rigging is tough. -_-
-DD

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
hmmm I thought top lane kennen could get me out of Elo hell but apparently not.

I have to completely body my lane (like 3-0) before I take the turret to secure a good victory.

either way my elo hell doesn't even consist of bad players. it now consist of Leavers. I have 21 losses and I think half of them now were 4v5s

I can't bring myself to complain about it though? like. maybe I won't get to gold this season. oh well. its all a learning experience.

Pretty sure I can pull myself up to at least 1300 if I pick up sion tho. nobody can seem to handle him at Low Elo

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
leavers is a universal issue tho'. if it happens just gotta shrug if off.

same stuff happens in SF4 online. if your opponent ragequits then you d/c from the match and you both lose a LARGE amount of player points. to fix it, capcom gave people a d/c% rate so you can choose not to play with someone who seems to disconnect alot whether its legit connection or ragequitting issue

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
yeah but I'm sure in the Higher Elos Ragequitting has died down by a considerable percentage

in the 1100-1200 range kids quit after first blood.

Omni

BRoomer
true.

why dont you just go Kennen AP mid? if ur in elo hell then you'll prolly have to do a lot of 2v1's with Kennen since most teams wont have junglers. or you'll have to lane with someone if ur team doesn't have a jungler.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Every game is like this. I have like 1 legit loss in ranked where I could have done something different.
Bot lane was 1-10 in 10 minutes, i was 3-1. they said "Ahri fed mid. gg" They weren't even trolling. they just sucked.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
well, depends on the sample size, but suffice to say I have a really really hard time believing that you couldn't have done anything to better your situation in all but 1 loss (unless we're talking about like, < 5 losses total).

people will suck and in the grand scheme of things, if they didn't suck, you would win and that's all well and good, but dwelling on that fact will not make you a better players because it's wasting time thinking about things outside of your control. so yea, if they didn't suck, maybe you'd win more and rise faster, but just toss that thought process out the window and focus entirely on your own play and what you could've done better and you will rise. if you seriously don't see things you can improve on, you're either not looking hard enough or your destined for mediocrity.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
true.

why dont you just go Kennen AP mid? if ur in elo hell then you'll prolly have to do a lot of 2v1's with Kennen since most teams wont have junglers. or you'll have to lane with someone if ur team doesn't have a jungler.
nah suprisingly they play junglers at low elo so its always 1v1 My kennen vs GP/Chogath/Riven etc..

I could go mid but the whole reason I go top is because Kennen ****s on the top lane like no other so it gives me an early advantage while allowing me to shut down their tanky DPS.

that and everyone always calls mid ahri and tbh I have yet to see a really good ahri player. they all think they are hot **** but then go like 2-5-2 or some ****.

I actually ban ahri now just so nobody on my team picks her.

Omni

BRoomer
word. im only lvl 27 now and dont really do matchmaking

but i seem to have a higher chance of winning by going AP Mid and completely ****** my lane or jungling and making sure mid and bot get plenty of ganks so the enemy teams AP/AD carries aren't fed.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
well, depends on the sample size, but suffice to say I have a really really hard time believing that you couldn't have done anything to better your situation in all but 1 loss (unless we're talking about like, < 5 losses total).

people will suck and in the grand scheme of things, if they didn't suck, you would win and that's all well and good, but dwelling on that fact will not make you a better players because it's wasting time thinking about things outside of your control. so yea, if they didn't suck, maybe you'd win more and rise faster, but just toss that thought process out the window and focus entirely on your own play and what you could've done better and you will rise. if you seriously don't see things you can improve on, you're either not looking hard enough or your destined for mediocrity.
I only have 21 ranked games this season. 9-12 overall, planting me below 1100 which is just asinine.

I'm honest, in 11 of those losses, I played very well and was clearly the best player on my team. In one of those losses, I tried to support bot with Janna because I was last pick and I told them I couldnt support. I did poorly in that game, but I was no where near the worst on my team. We were 3-24 at the 20 minute mark, and I was 0-2 at that point.

Other than that, I've seriously had every game go like this. I've had a few wins where it looked like it'd be one of these but I carried hard enough to overcome it. Other times, there's nothing I can do.

I'm not saying I last hit perfectly, or that I win every exchange. I'm not perfect. I'm saying that considering the scope of what my efforts could have accomplished, there was no way to win those games.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Thank you for reminding me to make a Vimeo account!

I've been working on an animation using LoL models for a little bit now...rigging is tough. -_-
-DD
how do you get those?

TKbro;13891072 Pretty sure I can pull myself up to at least 1300 if I pick up sion tho. nobody can seem to handle him at Low Elo[/QUOTE said:
THISS
THIS SO HARD
Lost so much elo recently because they 1st pick sion so I pick ryze naturally to counter him.
Sion on the enemy team proceeds to roam and I tell my team , he is roaming stop pushing. nope , sion proceeds to go 6/0 and Ive taken out the 1st turret mid and try to get enough cs to counter this but my team just keeps pushing the second they get back up

Lovage

Smash Hero
I only have 21 ranked games this season. 9-12 overall, planting me below 1100 which is just asinine.

I'm honest, in 11 of those losses, I played very well and was clearly the best player on my team. In one of those losses, I tried to support bot with Janna because I was last pick and I told them I couldnt support. I did poorly in that game, but I was no where near the worst on my team. We were 3-24 at the 20 minute mark, and I was 0-2 at that point.

Other than that, I've seriously had every game go like this. I've had a few wins where it looked like it'd be one of these but I carried hard enough to overcome it. Other times, there's nothing I can do.

I'm not saying I last hit perfectly, or that I win every exchange. I'm not perfect. I'm saying that considering the scope of what my efforts could have accomplished, there was no way to win those games.
ranked has potential for a lot of variance, put in volume and if u belong in higher elo u will climb, same thing as poker IMO.

i've had some horrible loss streaks where I consistently had bad teams for like 6+ games, just focus on getting better, and if u lose 2-3 in a row don't tilt like me and take a break,

-s2j

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer

that's taking responsibility off of yourself for the outcome of the game though. look, again, I can understand getting a bad draw and losing games because your team was worse than the other team, but the net result from looking at a game like this is nothing. you gain nothing as a player when you say, "well **** it, couldn't have won anyway."

my personal philosophy on gaming has always been to default to taking responsibility for the outcome of my games, regardless of the good or bad breaks that may have happened outside of my control. think about every choice you made, from the character you picked to how you interacted with your team to the way you played your specific character. think about everything you did and how doing it differently could've helped your team towards winning the game and you'll end up gaining more from the experience.

I dunno, maybe I'm just blowing smoke out of my *** here to you, but I've always found that beating myself up over every little mistake has driven me to become a better player than accepting that I lost because of something outside of my control.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
there are too many trolls on league right now to take ranked seriously

i went 11-0 as graves last night, pushed all the way to nexus, and lost because we had some guy random heimer and do nothing

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
^I'm pretty much trying to do this now. I figure The harder I carry the less games loss. time to learn them hyper carries.

arrow was for Mogwai's post.

also I'm trying to meet all of you guys who are going to apex. would be pretty legit.

so far I know I should be able to find S2J friday. dat melee.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
there are too many trolls on league right now to take ranked seriously

i went 11-0 as graves last night, pushed all the way to nexus, and lost because we had some guy random heimer and do nothing
honestly, this is not new and you're using anecdotal evidence to prove how pointless it all is. look, you can choose to not take ranked seriously. that's fine and that's your decision. however, I do take ranked seriously and I become a better player because of it, so I object to you saying that there are too many trolls to take ranked seriously. that or I'm just consistently more lucky than you, but I'd argue that consistent luck is synonymous with skill.

jpak

Smash Lord
play 10 normals with sivir to get a feel for her then go play rank with her. i promise you will win a lot more, item/builds in my previous post

Leacero

Smash Lord
how do you get those?

THISS
THIS SO HARD
Lost so much elo recently because they 1st pick sion so I pick ryze naturally to counter him.
Sion on the enemy team proceeds to roam and I tell my team , he is roaming stop pushing. nope , sion proceeds to go 6/0 and Ive taken out the 1st turret mid and try to get enough cs to counter this but my team just keeps pushing the second they get back up
push mid to nexus, sion can no longer roam. problem solved. :173:

p.s. smashboards why are you missing a cubone icon out of all the pokemon?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
-Seneca

Coney

Smash Master
I dunno, maybe I'm just blowing smoke out of my *** here to you, but I've always found that beating myself up over every little mistake has driven me to become a better player than accepting that I lost because of something outside of my control.
i did the same thing, until i hit a wall where i was consistently winning my lane--like, literally, every single time--and still losing because the other lanes would lose hard. this post was good though, made me realize how much i've drifted from the mentality you're talking about

i think that, like me, a lot of players ARE good enough to consistently win their lanes, but when they fall into patterns of continually losing games anyway, it feels like it doesn't matter. i fixed this problem as hard as i could by now demanding mid if i'm 1st/2nd pick, but that can only do so much. if i'm last pick i'll happily take support under the impression that those above me are able to carry, but...no

i mean i'm only at 1600 elo now, i'm sure i'll get stomped later, but for right now i'm winning every lane i take and it's still not enough, even with me trying to gank other lanes

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know that the odds even out in the long run. The problem is two-fold:

1. There is enough statistical variance to keep some good players down and elevate some bad players.
2. The long run is too long for many of us.

If you play 500 games, theoretically you should have the better team in 250. But if you only have the better team in 240, that means you will have -20 losses to wins, and if you average 15 points per loss, that puts you 300 Elo below where you belong.
A ten game variance is not at all obnormal given a sample of 500 trials. That's only 2% off of expected, and you usually expect 3-4% variation to be within the normal range.

that means that a person's true Elo is anywhere in a 600 point range. That's just absurd. I could be 1100 right now and honestly be as good as some 1700s. Or the reverse. I could be 1100 and honestly be as bad as some 500s.

It's only when you've got thousands of games played that you should expect this variation to even itself out. But in a game that takes 30-40 minutes on average, most good players won't play 1000 games in a season.

I'm not suggesting it's impossible to climb out of Elo hell. I'm just acknowledging that it's a pit too deep to climb out of for many who start off unlucky and don't have the time to recover the 500 points they lost in the first 10 games. it will take me 6 months to get to 1600, even if i'm 1600 strength. I may or may not be, but as long as the number next to my name is what counts when people want to know how good I am, the world will never know.

Poker is similar, and i eventually quit after being semi-pro. I made maybe $15,000 in 2 years playing in my spare time. Almost quit my job because I was making more per hour in poker than I was at work. But I had one bad season and I didn't win a tournament for 3 straight months, after winning the entire tour the year before. I lost about $700 in that stretch. So I switched to cash games online, and won a grand or so in about 2 weeks. But I had one bad stretch of cards in one day and lost $700 in about 2 hours. That was enough for me to quit. I don't have the financial security to win and lose that much so quickly. Statistically, yeah I can win large amounts of money at poker all year. But when the bad odds hit me, I didn't have the bankroll to stomach it, so I got out.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
A lot of time also the difference between higher level players and lower level players is making plays and what you do on your down time.

After you have pushed lane or killed an enemy if you have the time and health and resources, you should attempt to make something happen in the enemy jungle or even another lane, b/c you'll make it back to yours before your lane gets pushed too hard. Also, reaction times to certain situations based on minimap, such as how quickly you converge on an invading jungler, etc.

You say your bot lane is really bad? Shove your wave to enemy tower and gank them repeatedly until they can hold out on their own.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I know that the odds even out in the long run. The problem is two-fold:

1. There is enough statistical variance to keep some good players down and elevate some bad players.
2. The long run is too long for many of us.

If you play 500 games, theoretically you should have the better team in 250. But if you only have the better team in 240, that means you will have -20 losses to wins, and if you average 15 points per loss, that puts you 300 Elo below where you belong.
A ten game variance is not at all obnormal given a sample of 500 trials. That's only 2% off of expected, and you usually expect 3-4% variation to be within the normal range.
uhg, no. you're assuming you're irrelevant to the equation, which again is the whole ****ing problem. you're taking the responsibility away from yourself and blaming your team, then backing it up with numbers that assume that the fact that you're better than the average player at your rating is irrelevant to the equation of how likely it is that you'll have the better team.

that means that a person's true Elo is anywhere in a 600 point range. That's just absurd. I could be 1100 right now and honestly be as good as some 1700s. Or the reverse. I could be 1100 and honestly be as bad as some 500s.
Bull****, unless you're purposely throwing games. Again, you can talk these numbers all you want, but I'll bet you that at least 95% of the people at 1700 would routinely crush games and win them singlehandedly at the 1100 level. It would take them no time to go from 1100-1400.

It's only when you've got thousands of games played that you should expect this variation to even itself out. But in a game that takes 30-40 minutes on average, most good players won't play 1000 games in a season.
after a couple hundred games for most players, the season 2 solo queue ladder looks a hell of a lot like the season 1 solo queue ladder. it's much more likely that this is because there isn't as much variance as you say than it is that largely the same group of players got lucky all over again.

I'm not suggesting it's impossible to climb out of Elo hell. I'm just acknowledging that it's a pit too deep to climb out of for many who start off unlucky and don't have the time to recover the 500 points they lost in the first 10 games. it will take me 6 months to get to 1600, even if i'm 1600 strength. I may or may not be, but as long as the number next to my name is what counts when people want to know how good I am, the world will never know.

Poker is similar, and i eventually quit after being semi-pro. I made maybe $15,000 in 2 years playing in my spare time. Almost quit my job because I was making more per hour in poker than I was at work. But I had one bad season and I didn't win a tournament for 3 straight months, after winning the entire tour the year before. I lost about $700 in that stretch. So I switched to cash games online, and won a grand or so in about 2 weeks. But I had one bad stretch of cards in one day and lost $700 in about 2 hours. That was enough for me to quit. I don't have the financial security to win and lose that much so quickly. Statistically, yeah I can win large amounts of money at poker all year. But when the bad odds hit me, I didn't have the bankroll to stomach it, so I got out.
the poker analogy is a bad one. completely different skillset between the two games, with the luck components impacting the games very very differently. there's really no comparison to be had here if you ask me.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Dastrn: "Statistically speaking, some people aren't at their appropriate elo"
Mogwai: "Bull****, most but not all people are at their appropriate elo"

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Dastrn: "Statistically speaking, some people aren't at their appropriate elo"
Mogwai: "Bull****, most but not all people are at their appropriate elo"
I'm calling bull**** at saying that people who should be 1700 could be stuck at 1100 and vice versa. that just doesn't happen and the justification he's giving is based on a statistical approach that is flawed because it assumes that LoL is straight luck in terms of variance.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm calling bull**** at saying that people who should be 1700 could be stuck at 1100 and vice versa. that just doesn't happen and the justification he's giving is based on a statistical approach that is flawed because it assumes that LoL is straight luck in terms of variance.
Oh I'm not stuck at 1100. I'm just there now, early. I'm climbing out. My point wasn't that I couldn't ever get out. It's just that it will take a damn long time.

I tanked to 900 in season 1 and climbed to 1400. it just took forever.

I dropped to 1050 last week when i started season 2 ranked play. I'll climb out. I'm already up 100 points. I just hate that it takes so damn long, and in 60-70% of my games, we would win or lose regardless of what I do to give myself an edge.

edit:
he's saying I should just duo queue and then it's 5 baddies vs 3 baddies.

he's right. I just can't often find a duo buddy. when zolga is on, we wreck.
Anyone want to duo with me right now?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Oh I'm not stuck at 1100. I'm just there now, early. I'm climbing out. My point wasn't that I couldn't ever get out. It's just that it will take a damn long time.

I tanked to 900 in season 1 and climbed to 1400. it just took forever.

I dropped to 1050 last week when i started season 2 ranked play. I'll climb out. I'm already up 100 points. I just hate that it takes so damn long, and in 60-70% of my games, we would win or lose regardless of what I do to give myself an edge.

edit:
he's saying I should just duo queue and then it's 5 baddies vs 3 baddies.

he's right. I just can't often find a duo buddy. when zolga is on, we wreck.
Anyone want to duo with me right now?
I mean, the variance you were talking about was after 500 games saying that within a perfectly reasonable level of variance, you could be 600 points less that you otherwise would have been with different luck. That's just not true and is based on a faulty assumption. That's all I'm saying.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
in all honesty I feel like duo queue would work best if it was a combination of people going solo top/mid and/or jungle.

we tried the 2 bot strategy that time we went vayne/janna and that didnt work out to well for us, Dastrn, because the solo lanes got bodied.

Top Bottom