• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
@Sent - as an AP you generally want deathcap to be your first major item. Archangel's is very minor, and honestly you probably could go without it entirely. Grab some survivability instead.
Also if you arent really stacking doran rings you can get Rod of Ages as your first item

:phone:

S l o X

Smash Champion
I've been grabbing RoA first if I have the highest farm in the game but if I don't, I jump to Deathcap and ALWAYS get Blue / play safe.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
You should obviously go mpen boots and 5 dorans rings as AP.

:troll:

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Now I see this, ugh

Update: Even though we changed up our requirements to allow more summoners to achieve Platinum status, we haven’t forgotten those extremely high Elo players who’ve entered into the 2220 Elo echelon. In fact, no one will.

In addition to all the great awards Platinum players will receive, we’re creating a special section of the website to list the summoners whose Elo exceeded 2200 at the conclusion of the season!

Source: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1143351

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Got up pretty high and then four leavers in a row. 48 ELO bled in under two hours.

Sigh.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
even if philo is the most efficient gold per 10, it doesnt mean that u should but it.

i think the whole 3 dorans rings on casters is kind of destroying gold per 5 on carries. if i go against a caster with a lot of dorans rings, they can probably kill me. if i go against a caster that builds philo, thne i can just zone them from exp and last hits, or just kill them or **** their tower

everyone has heard this in theory before, but literally this has happened to me about 5 times each way in the last two weeks. carries getting philo just ends up being a bad deal.

why get kage on support alistar? it wont make his damage more noticeable and you could just get support items or a blasting wand.

also on a lot of ap you DONT get deathcap first. rumble kennen morde for example
long range casters should probably get deathcap though..
karthus = archangels first. i think.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
even if philo is the most efficient gold per 10, it doesnt mean that u should but it.

i think the whole 3 dorans rings on casters is kind of destroying gold per 5 on carries. if i go against a caster with a lot of dorans rings, they can probably kill me. if i go against a caster that builds philo, thne i can just zone them from exp and last hits, or just kill them or **** their tower

everyone has heard this in theory before, but literally this has happened to me about 5 times each way in the last two weeks. carries getting philo just ends up being a bad deal.

why get kage on support alistar? it wont make his damage more noticeable and you could just get support items or a blasting wand.

also on a lot of ap you DONT get deathcap first. rumble kennen morde for example
long range casters should probably get deathcap though..
karthus = archangels first. i think.
Gold/10 is for tanks/supports/certain junglers, not carries of either variety. Who's talking about carries? Carries get their farm, so they just grab the stupidly efficient doran's rings and blades, that's not being debated here (at least that's not what I'm saying). Solo lane tanks are the only ones who really have much to gain from gold/10 in addition to getting good farm anyway and that's just cause they don't shift over to open lanes to farm them in the mid game and thus get more mileage out of gold/10s than carries would.

Archangel's first is stupid on everyone. Archangels is always an afterthought. Even on characters where it's a good idea, you just sit on tear for awhile. Karthus is best going RoA first into Deathcap in my experience.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You get Kage on support Alistar for more income for wards and oracles, not to mention he gets a slight boost from the AP. This is extra of course, and depends on how you and your team are faring. It all depends on how much you are being relied on for map control or how badly you need given auras.

Deathcap IS generally the first major item purchased on most long range casters. RoA is seen as a primary item on certain casters, generally one with longer burst cycles or shorter range that aren't tanky.

Don't lie Brett, you also build AA on Cho.

:phone:

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
because even assuming that the only stats you need are Mana and AP, Archangel's needs time to get the mana stacked on tear before it's efficient enough to be worth it. I think the only times I've ever used Archangel's it's always been by going tear -> RoA -> Deathcap -> Archangel's.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Don't lie Brett, you also build AA on Cho.
....Okay, now I have to do it.

because even assuming that the only stats you need are Mana and AP, Archangel's needs time to get the mana stacked on tear before it's efficient enough to be worth it. I think the only times I've ever used Archangel's it's always been by going tear -> RoA -> Deathcap -> Archangel's.
Makes sense. I could probably find a better way to build early... maybe. I try to use no mana when I can as Dinger, but as soon as I need to, it goes away SO fast early game.
I usually don't even get a Deathcap with Dinger, actually. My favorite build right now is Sorcs, Archangel, Zhonya, GA, Banshee, and Void. Enemy team dependent, of course. It still does a good bit of continuous damage, and I can stay alive between my turrets for an annoying enough amount of time.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Dinger is hella fun to play, but I hope he's never good ever again. The times when Heimerdinger reigned supreme were the worst games of my life. So boring, so stale, so god damn annoying.

I hope he gets better in a not obnoxious way.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Finishing AA first is a bad idea because you either tend to need:

1. Health cause you're a squishy caster

2. LOTS of AP cause your AP ratios are solid and you need to be as threatening as possible as quick as possible

If you need Health/resistance, you'll probably buy something else than AA to get it. If you need a **** ton of AP to be a threat, you will rush death cap first prob. If your champ likes the utility Rylai's brings to the table, you will get that. Etc.

The other thing is that if you have mana problems, more likely than not getting catalyst/Rod/Multiple D Rings will help you out enough. If not, there also is blue buff for you to hog.

You can still run it on Heimer, but it's never been a build first item on him or other champs, especially when you had old Z ring in the mix too (jesus that ****ing ring).

Brett: That build leaves you with too little AP and too little health for that gold mark. First 5-6 k Gold I expect to see either RoA or Death Cap. Simple as that. Afterwards, Void staff and then defensive.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Honestly, no exaggeration, just had the worst team I've ever had. I've had games where 3/5 people on my team don't know how to play, I've had games where 5/5 people on my team feed, I've had games where 4/5 people refused to actually destroy their nexus. But this game I just had. A whole nother level of ******** teammates. Gragas refused to focus, we get baron and vayne decides to jungle, NO ONE pushed. At all. My team insisted that 5 manning my lane to take my farm for the ENTIRE mid game was the BEST strat. They would literally run from jungle top and bot to come mid, take my farm for 2 waves, and then go back.

I'm not angry. Just dumbfounded, that I have honestly had the worst team I have ever had to play with.

Solo queue lottery #1.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Mmm, I usually spend early game farming and focusing on not getting hit, so I don't usually need survivability until I'm fighting.
And the reason I want to get that AP as well is to make people think twice about hitting me again if they DO hit me.
It's just that I need AP AND mana. Equally.

But you guys do have valid points. I'll have to think about it. Maybe I'll get a tear and then go straight on to my Zhonya (I think it's a CORE item on my Dinger).

@Bobby-- I actually end up with like 400 AP, then all that magpen just boosts the damage. I need to play another Dinger game. Or at least do the math and find out just how much I get.
But not until I'm out of class today. Made it into a great choir, don't want to be late first day.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I don't like going AA at all on Karthus. Granted I used to while I was still learning how to AP carry, but once you get RoA, you can control your mana just fine as long as you aren't just running around with your aoe up all the time.

Although I go Morellos as well for the CDR and mana regen.

I haven't played another AP carry that I've needed AA on though. Maybe Veigar for easier Q farm?

Also, second game as brand, 4 kills on mid soraka in 8 minutes, followed by ragequit. Where is your OP god now?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah. Basically, AA itself is only targeted at a few casters (assuming you want to be efficient that is) and even then there are other competing sources for mana and AP and survivability that it doesn't scream out "rush me first before x items". You can get tear and leave that alone to upgrade later in the game, and if you really want to use AA staff that's the general goal. Get tear somewhat quick, leave it alone and get RoA or Death Cap, go back later and finish it maybe after Rylais Banshee Void staff or whatever your second big item is.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I need 4 people who think they can compete with 2k+ elo players to join me in a tourney match tonight at 8PM CST.

PM me if interested (send what roles you play best, top 3 champs, and a general item build for each).

Gogo

EDIT: I say 2k elo players cause TSM is one of the teams to beat.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Easy pk, I can crush 2.2k elo.

My mains are Teemo, Astronaut Teemo, Ranger Teemo, and Wukong.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can't main Teemo if I make the pro move and ban him!

Ha-haa!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Quick Question:

For Rammus, my typical build when I jungle is Cloth + 5 health pots. Then I go into boots, philosopher's stone, and heart of gold. I also read a guide or two that suggested omitting Philosopher's and instead focusing on a catalyst.

My skill path typically goes W > Q > E > E from 1-4, and then I focus on maxing out E, then W while getting R whenever possible, but the same guides recommended W > Q > Q > E > Q > R from 1-6.

I need help in understanding these different changes. What would the benefits be in prioritizing 3 levels in Q over 3 in Taunt, because I've always felt that Taunt was simple "better" for ganks and the like. And what are the benefits to Catalyst over Philosopher's?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'd be down to give it a shot, Zac. I'm pretty good at top lane, jungle, or bot lane support (generally more unconventional ones, but can play the usuals as well).

When are the games though?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Quick Question:

For Rammus, my typical build when I jungle is Cloth + 5 health pots. Then I go into boots, philosopher's stone, and heart of gold. I also read a guide or two that suggested omitting Philosopher's and instead focusing on a catalyst.

My skill path typically goes W > Q > E > E from 1-4, and then I focus on maxing out E, then W while getting R whenever possible, but the same guides recommended W > Q > Q > E > Q > R from 1-6.

I need help in understanding these different changes. What would the benefits be in prioritizing 3 levels in Q over 3 in Taunt, because I've always felt that Taunt was simple "better" for ganks and the like. And what are the benefits to Catalyst over Philosopher's?
Just read the champion forums in LoL.

Powerball (3 levels):
Cost 80/90/100 DMG 100/150/200(+1 AP) SLOW 20/25/30 Slight Knockup

Taunt (3 levels):
Cost 50/60/70 DMG 0*** Reduce Armor 10/15/20 Taunt 1/1.5/2

*** Dmg for Taunt relies on W and passive and autoattacks.

To me it looks like you get slightly more dmg for yourself at the cost of stronger taunt. With Competent teams I would think you would want the taunt, but for unreliability just having a faster jungle and more dmg for yourself may be better. Since your Q doubles in dmg while your taunt adds one more second.

Mogwai has a Armor Rune page jungle setup for Rammus that allows you to start Regrowth and get philo on your first back. You can check SmashGizmo on LoL for it.

As for differences between Philo and Catalyst. Catalyst also gives sustain (per level) and also leads to a faster Banshee's Veil. Where Philo gives you Gp5 and etc. I would think you would only rush catalyst if your doing fairly well and don't think you will need HoG or Philo (seems unlikely) or your running against a heavy AP team.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Once i get my interwebs up and running. Who should I learn for jungling?

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
doesnt make sense to shell out that much money for deathcap when you can pay less to finish archangels. you do the math. also i dont see how in most games, building survivability on karthus is a good idea when u can go straight damage. w/e though im just a noob

and kages on support alistar is bad. w/e

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
doesnt make sense to shell out that much money for deathcap when you can pay less to finish archangels. you do the math. also i dont see how in most games, building survivability on karthus is a good idea when u can go straight damage. w/e though im just a noob

and kages on support alistar is bad. w/e
yea, sorry, I should've mentioned that I've since learned that going AA after RoA is stronger than going Deathcap first. That's just the way I did it because I never mathcrafted it out back when I cared about AP Carries.

kage's is situational on basically all supports. All the AP ratios on non-Janna supports have been smacked around, so you have to play it by ear based on whether you can get it early enough for it to be a sound investment (typically I'll get it if I can before 20 minutes).

Jazriel

Smash Ace
So because Brand's pillar is currently bugged to be HUGE, is he now the best AP atm? Just played Ori vs Brand mid and my horrible horrible zoning **** was toned down a huge amount just because his pillar is so ****ing huge.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Makes sense I guess. Does the armor in total simply outdo the rest of the jungle rune spreads, or what? I assume the additional armor gives you that leeway to harass others, but I can't say for sure since I'm kinda confused about it.

Do you start out with Regrowth pendant as well? I had a set up that allowed me to get Phils on my first back as well, but it didn't give me nearly as much jungle experience because I omitted Blue and Red Buffs. Granted, that was before I even really had much runes on to begin with, but yeah.

How does your Rammus typically go about with that spread, Mog?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
you just open regrowth + hp pot and go blue -> wolves -> wraiths -> small gols -> back and buy philo (should be around 3:20-3:30 depending on your leash). Then you go wolves -> wraiths -> red -> small gols and you just gank whenever it makes sense (at any point in your path ofc, as you're rammus and if you're not ganking, you're falling behind).

Top Bottom