• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Shaya, you only get to complain about people complaining because you've played like 3000 ranked games.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Blah, I just posted a huge post about how an ELO reset is ********, and my browser ate it.

I hate the idea of an ELO reset. The idea that good players can pull themselves out is only true in the long run. When you reset the long run, you just increase the likelihood that people will be playing in games with huge skill variation, which is not fun for anyone.

People want competition.
People don't like being the worst player on their team.
People don't even always like being the BEST player on their team.

I'd rather be 6-4-12 every game and be paired with people at my level than be 17-3-10 and still lose because of bad kids, or be 17-3-10 and win because the entire other team was feeding and 2 guys quit.

I want competition.

The other post was like 3x longer and more in depth but I'm not typing it all out again.
Hard reset maybe. A soft reset though I think appeals to just about everyone. It allows high elo people who have established themselves to remain high above the rest of the pack, it allows anyone who "fell through the cracks" to get back to 1200, etc. Doing a soft reset would also get rid of elo inflation that occurred when a lot of people got into the game. Where the higher up you go the less representative it truly is of your skill over the rest of the population (in relation to the ELO number assigned to you, not in relation to your actual skill). AKA you could rise from 2300 (or the top of solo ELO whatever it is right now) up to 2400-2700-even higher without being magnitudes better like the number should represent. You could be 10x better than the average person, climb 400 points playing people 200 points or more under you, and gain 400 points without gaining additional degrees of proficiency or dominance over people. Still 10x better, not 12x or 15x better.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Shaya, you only get to complain about people complaining because you've played like 3000 ranked games.
Exactly.

I've been ****ed over likely 5x more than anyone else.
I've had 5x the leavers,
5x the rage quitters,
500x the feeders,
and zac on my team at least 5 times.
I've also had jarvan on the enemy team 5x more often than he's on my team. In other words, 5x the losses I should have because dumb ***** don't ****ing ban jarvan.

Heart ache is natural in the shaya household. I've fallen below 1500 elo like... twice? maybe thrice in a 2 month period with devastating god tier losing streaks. Yet I hear people going 'qq ima wait till season 2 so I can get a FAIR CHANCE to climb up the ladder' like.... LOL yeah, that will TOTALLY make a difference.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Exactly.

I've had 5x the leavers,
5x the rage quitters,
500x the feeders,
I've also had jarvan on the enemy team 5x more often than he's on my team. In other words, 5x the losses I should have because dumb ***** don't ****ing ban jarvan.

Heart ache is natural in the shaya household. I've fallen below 1500 elo like... twice? maybe thrice in a 2 month period with devastating god tier losing streaks. Yet I hear people going 'qq ima wait till season 2 so I can get a FAIR CHANCE to climb up the ladder' like.... LOL yeah, that will TOTALLY make a difference.
Maddest dude.

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
Exactly.

I've had 5x the leavers,
5x the rage quitters,
500x the feeders,

uh yeah i can qq all i want

i lost 250 elo in 2 days. u dont understand fair imo

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Question: What do you think about armor penetration reds on Soraka? I find that I do a lot of my harassing and zoning in lane with auto attacks, so I'm wondering if it would be better to spec for that rather than magic penetration since I won't be doing that much damage later anyways.

This question could apply to Janna as well.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well, she technically is a caster. Might as well crit with her.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shaya, your sheer number of games played suggest to me that you are roughly where you belong in the rating ladder. With a large enough sample, (3k games played is enough) you should be within 60 points of your accurate rating at any given point. Your score should be interpreted as "1548 +/- 60." There's always some wiggle. I would think for me with only 290 games played, the variance is more like 100 points +/-. Add into that the varying things that 1250 ELO means in terms of skill (since there is still such a HUGE difference in skill levels at this ELO), it might be more like 150 points +/- honestly. I've played with kids that I can't imagine ever win EVER, and after the game I'll see 1225 or something with 40 wins in ranked or something. There are a lot more statistical variations with fewer games played. There's not a chance in hell that same kid with 3k games would be above 900 ELO. He'll lose enough games for his team over time to fall. Just like I'll win enough games for my teams over time to climb. Which is why I've climbed 200 points in 3 weeks. And why I'll keep climbing if I play more ranked. I'll have up days and down days for sure, and it's HUGELY frustrating, but I'll climb until I'm about the average skill level for people around my rating. I could speculate and say I'm averagely skilled for a 1500-1600 player or so, but we'll see in like 150 more games if I climb up there or not. If I don't get to at least 1400 by then, I probably can't think of myself as that level.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I move between 1500-1700 elo.

I've also dropped more than 250 elo before in a very short period of time.

Also Jarvan is like always a first pick. ALWAYS.

RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have MULTIPLE friends on my list with a LOT of ranked games (people in the 1000+ ranked wins group) who move between 1400-1850 elo.
One day we're loling together and the next day I'm like "LOL DUDE YOU'RE 1400 ELO"
and he's like "QQ"
then the next time I see him hes back to 1800.

Moral of the story: Elo's ****. Just play the game and have fun.
1400-1550 is the funnest elo anyway.

Get away with anything.
Row
row
fight the power.

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
dastrn i suggest u stop making up random facts and speaking with any authority on any subject whatsoever
like oh my god that last post was so full of made up bull ****. and also before in posts u claimed that "all players act liek this" when in fact u just thought like that and wanted people to believe u

stop acting like u know what your talking about
and yes im inviting drama, but this needs to be said. this guy lolll

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Did I mention you should be glad that in 1400 elo you can go DPS Soraka and carry?

What? Enemy team has Jarvan?
Don't worry bro, have fun and go mantheon and show him a real man drop.

In times of my MASSIVE DROPS (AND IVE HAD MASSIVE DROPS) after initial frustration I go 'okay, TIME TO SLEEP/GO OUTSIDE/KILL FAMILY/GET INTOXICATED' and then I play a game after said break and go 'holy ****, my enemies are terrible! holy holy holy holy crap, why the **** was I playing after having a bad run in which you go into every new game frustrated/not thinking properly/not trying properly and throwing games/more elo away hoping I get someone on my team able to carry me - Yeah why should I be relying on people who probably should be at that elo to carry me. Let me just take someone with ignite and flash and get a kill every few minutes'. Then I go and win 10 games in a row and I'm back to an elo above jpak. And that's all that matters.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Eat balls dude. All you do is flame people.

I was using round numbers when I said "roughly 60 +/-". Of course I don't have their exact algorithms in front of me. But considering I won 2nd place on the entire east coast in calculus 10 years ago, I think my general understanding of math is pretty good. I also program.

Either way, Riot's Matchmaking is horrible and huge swings are way too common. Maybe the variance in one's ELO is 150+/- even at 3k games played. But that's a sign of a bad algorithm as much as anything else.

Either way, eat balls. Cause you are super dumb.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
and round 1 goes to dastrn for that hilariously good start off of using the phrase "eat balls"

safehaven? rebuttal?

D

Deleted member

I was using round numbers when I said "roughly 60 +/-". Of course I don't have their exact algorithms in front of me. But considering I won 2nd place on the entire east coast in calculus 10 years ago, I think my general understanding of math is pretty good. I also program.
*flaming/censor dodging*

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wish I could just /ignore people on smashboards and they would go away. That feature in League has saved me from so many idiots.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

Either way, Riot's Matchmaking is horrible and huge swings are way too common. Maybe the variance in one's ELO is 150+/- even at 3k games played. But that's a sign of a bad algorithm as much as anything else.

Dude I just said MULTIPLE TIMES

that 1400-1800 elo is the exact same ****.
And I know MANY people who travel between those points.

You're either a 1800-1900+ player or you aren't.

-

Also kids, stop flaming each other... I'd highly recommend removing the crap in your posts before hell's fury comes along.

-

Also you can ignore people (non-moderators/staff) on smashboards. It's a feature.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Drama gank.

Stop flaming and trolling. Blanket warning before serious infractions. Discus civilly or you will end up temp banned.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
F8ality!?

I don't know why gaming communities are always ********. So much emphasis on e-peen and putting others down to make yourself feel better/superior. People can't just be helpful/have fun... they gotta let their complexes run wild.

Why debate differences in opinion when we can use the rating system and try to shut down others without intelligent discussion!?

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
AND VIRGILIJUS FROM DEEP WITH THE XIN ZHAO 1v5 ANTI-GANK-GANK COMBO

VIRGILIJUS GOING STRAIGHT FOR THE NEXUS!

10 points to gryffindor

Cia

das kwl
Question: What do you think about armor penetration reds on Soraka? I find that I do a lot of my harassing and zoning in lane with auto attacks, so I'm wondering if it would be better to spec for that rather than magic penetration since I won't be doing that much damage later anyways.

This question could apply to Janna as well.

Not that I support ArPen/Crit on Soraka, but why put magic pen on someone who's sole purpose is to sit in the back, heal the team, and buy wards? I mean, even with Mpen, your dmg output would still be the lowest in the game and you wouldn't notice the extra 8-10 dmg. I could see wanting to give her some AD runes to make her lane harass/farming stronger.. but I personally still wouldn't do it.

I go Gold/10 Quints and everything else is scaling AP. (65 @ Lv 18) Not saying that my runes are the best way to go. But they work for me. After about 5 creeps, I have enough to go back and get philostone. (by about lv 3) And the extra AP makes is so that I can Boots > Deathcap > Pure support items and still give very strong heals.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also you can ignore people (non-moderators/staff) on smashboards. It's a feature.
Can you really? That's so sexy. I'll figure it out now.

Also, Shaya, for the record, I wasn't speculating at all on your skill. I just was skimming your history after you posted the ezreal screen shot and noticed how many games you've played, and it got me thinking about whether that was a long enough long-run to give a good picture of what one's ELO ought to be.

Team games mess up metrics like this so hard, especially since there's 77 champs to play and so many roles that need filled. It may be that when playing a ranged AD carry one tends to play much better than when playing an AP carry or a tank or something.

Soooo, am aloud to speculate about the math behind the system any more, or should I expect more barrens chat/Modern Warfare chat?

safehaven

Banned via Warnings

all u do is make up numbers

and u arent even good lol

at least im good at league of legends. and im smart and stuff like that. and i understand that u are bad

u have accomplished none of these IMPORTANT goals

i rest my case and defer to the jury.

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
THERE IS NO MATH. ITS PEOPLE'S SKILL

HOW THE *** DO U HAVE ENOUGH BRAINPOWER TO EVEN BREATHE

mm matches based on elo. match maker is based on math. elo is only loosely/vaguely based on skill
which wait, u half admitted a while ago, but u cant seem to piece these things together

oh **** real dumb kid

in essence u just dont get it at all. u are so far from any real understanding that i can only sigh and laugh\

edit: u can call me an idiot but ill still be a better player than u, thus making your notion of idiocy laughable

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
safehaven, I'm not even sure why you are raging. It literally makes no sense. Dastrn was talking specifically about how these ranking systems work in an attempt to fairly measure skill and pit players against opponents of roughly equal skill. The things he was talking about are specifically documented issues with skill measurement systems, such as rating uncertainty. This is stuff that every good game developer for a multiplayer game wrestles with. Granted we all complain about elo and the struggles with finding good teammates in ranked and sometimes it spills over into pure whining, but that really didn't have much to do with this discussion. You are mad for no good reason.

Drama aside, go here:
http://www.colbycheeze.com/clg-vs-unr-friday-premiere-league-matches-61011

Watch the first video and scan ahead to 11:30 and watch how the WW escapes a gank. Makes me want to play LaneWick on my smurf.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@Iggy, No. If you note, that case in that image only had 1 game. I click on the games list and check how many games they play. If they play very few (4 or less) I click through them and check why they were reported.

In this case, the guy only had 1 game he got reported in and it was because of leaving. Shouldn't be punished for that.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

Not that I support ArPen/Crit on Soraka, but why put magic pen on someone who's sole purpose is to sit in the back, heal the team, and buy wards? I mean, even with Mpen, your dmg output would still be the lowest in the game and you wouldn't notice the extra 8-10 dmg. I could see wanting to give her some AD runes to make her lane harass/farming stronger.. but I personally still wouldn't do it.

I go Gold/10 Quints and everything else is scaling AP. (65 @ Lv 18) Not saying that my runes are the best way to go. But they work for me. After about 5 creeps, I have enough to go back and get philostone. (by about lv 3) And the extra AP makes is so that I can Boots > Deathcap > Pure support items and still give very strong heals.
That's the reason why I'm trying to replace them, they aren't really doing any good. I'd go with scaling, but I don't own any scaling except blues and I'm saving up for Nocturne right now. Well, sometime in the future i suppose...

Top Bottom