• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Guys I know Im the first person to ever say this but Poppy is really good guys, you definitely heard it here first. From me. Definitely me.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'm just curious was this your first season of playing ranked and being placed?
This was my first season of playing ranked, not counting the few ranked games I played on EU West when I never finished my placements. This was on NA though. Never touched a rank game on this server before this season.

:059:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
This was my first season of playing ranked, not counting the few ranked games I played on EU West when I never finished my placements. This was on NA though. Never touched a rank game on this server before this season. :059:
If it's your first season of ranked, they place the "new" players into lower divisions of silver. There are cases where it's possible for some people to get placed into gold with a 10-0 score or a high MMR if they duo with someone who had a high MMR last season and win those games.

Last edited:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Even if I wound up Bronze, it wouldn't really matter to me though. Bronze games are easy to carry, regardless of role. I've carried Bronzies on support Annie plenty of times before.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
Just started playing LoL and I'm really enjoying it. I've been playing Smite and I'm enjoying LoL a lot more than I thought I would at first. However, I'm still unsure the characters. I like Mages that are tanky or any long ranged Melee user. Are there any? I've just got back from using Poppy in one match and, while I do like her, she's not someone I might go with over and over. I do have Wukong, so I might stick with him.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Just started playing LoL and I'm really enjoying it. I've been playing Smite and I'm enjoying LoL a lot more than I thought I would at first. However, I'm still unsure the characters. I like Mages that are tanky or any long ranged Melee user. Are there any? I've just got back from using Poppy in one match and, while I do like her, she's not someone I might go with over and over. I do have Wukong, so I might stick with him.
Cho'gath and Galio are both tanky mages, though Galio is pretty bad right now. Swain gets fairly tanky as well.

I'm not really sure what you mean by long ranged melee user though. There are assassins like Zed and Talon who are melee but also have projectiles.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
Cho'gath and Galio are both tanky mages, though Galio is pretty bad right now. Swain gets fairly tanky as well.

I'm not really sure what you mean by long ranged melee user though. There are assassins like Zed and Talon who are melee but also have projectiles.

In Smite, there's Sun Wukong (just like in League) that uses his staff and one of his skills is slamming it down far from you. But I guess I didn't word it correctly. I might try out Zed and Talon. My friend recommended Galio and he looked cool, but I might reconsider it if he's bad.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
TRY MUH BOY MORDEKAISER!!

But also, not counting who KRD said, other champs that come to mind: Annie (surprisingly tanky if built right), Amumu, Anivia, Blitzcrank, Evelynn, Gragas, Lissandra, Malphite, Nautilus, Rumble, Ryze (real hard to play right though), Sejuani, Singed (pretty weird/unique playstyle always worth testing out), Tahm Kench, Volibear, Warwick, Zac, and Aatrox (is flexible and can go hybrid/AP) are all AP/Tank hybrid or similar and are worth testing out when on free week. Also, my personal build on Vel'Koz going RoA into CDR max/full tank is really strong imo; still waiting on people to pick up on how strong that is.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Cthulhu_MD Cthulhu_MD you seriously shouldn't care if a character is bad or good when you begin the game. Any character can be played and do well until you reach masters league and even then you see some dedicated players reaching challenger with "bad" champions.

If you like melee champs that can snipe from a distance I'd recommend you try Jayce.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yeah, this game is actually REALLY balanced overall. No champs are bad, and even the worst ones only are at the top level of play.

Last edited:

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
TRY MUH BOY MORDEKAISER!!

But also, not counting who KRD said, other champs that come to mind: Annie (surprisingly tanky if built right), Amumu, Anivia, Blitzcrank, Evelynn, Gragas, Lissandra, Malphite, Nautilus, Rumble, Ryze (real hard to play right though), Sejuani, Singed (pretty weird/unique playstyle always worth testing out), Tahm Kench, Volibear, Warwick, Zac, and Aatrox (is flexible and can go hybrid/AP) are all AP/Tank hybrid or similar and are worth testing out when on free week. Also, my personal build on Vel'Koz going RoA into CDR max/full tank is really strong imo; still waiting on people to pick up on how strong that is.
I'll have to look into them. Right now, since I just started, I don't have most of the characters, but these will be the characters I will look into first. Thanks for the suggestions!

Cthulhu_MD Cthulhu_MD you seriously shouldn't care if a character is bad or good when you begin the game. Any character can be played and do well until you reach masters league and even then you see some dedicated players reaching challenger with "bad" champions.

If you like melee champs that can snipe from a distance I'd recommend you try Jayce.
Ah, thanks. Then I'll try out Galio as well, then. You're right that I shouldn't really seriously care if they're bad or good, but I did have some wariness due to my time playing Smite where some of the characters are horribly unbalanced at first. I'm not too sure if DoTA 2 has that same weakness, considering I've played on and off. And I'll look into Jayce as well, thanks!

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You're welcome.

Try to do some dominion games while you can, riot has decided to terminate the mode on monday 22nd.

Rip dominion you will be kinda missed

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dominion kept me interested in league (along with my close friends) for a lot longer than what would've been the case without.
The moving from NA to OCE and having them not offer dominion queues slowly but surely pushed me away from the game.

Dominion to me was just a really fun and easy way to play the game in a skillful manner with a more sole focus or emphasis (map awareness, laning dynamics if you were in bot, working with a team in a less angsty environment) that padded things insanely well between the laborious summoner's rift.

I've essentially quit the game now with only very little casual play (I missed the entire last season, missing a border / free skin for the first time ever as I'd been around since pre-season 1). Dominion not having any support whatsoever kinda solidified my overall disliking of things. It's a huge shame to me I won't be able to go back to it again; or the next time I'm in NA not being able to convince people to give it a go before duoing to gold+ with people who lend me accounts will suck.

But when was the last time Riot have done something people were happy with?
I'm not exactly surprised that it came to this. The bot issue was rampant and extremely detrimental.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
finally doing placements, I just lost 2 games. one was a 4v5, the other was a 4v5 where our jungle Yi forgot to buy, died to the first buff after top wouldn't leash him, died again to red, then got counter jungled by shaco.

game is frustrating man. 3-2 atm, want to get this over with. also the que times are rediculous unless I go support

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
HOLY ****. ECHO FOX v. DIGNITAS. OVER ONE HOUR.

finally doing placements, I just lost 2 games. one was a 4v5, the other was a 4v5 where our jungle Yi forgot to buy, died to the first buff after top wouldn't leash him, died again to red, then got counter jungled by shaco. game is frustrating man. 3-2 atm, want to get this over with. also the que times are rediculous unless I go support
This season is honestly harder than last season. More displacement among ranks meaning everyone is still climbing although it's already March.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
whelp, lost another game because our jungle didn't connect until 5 min in and out cait didn't know how to orb walk. 6/4 in placements, silver 2. time to start the grind I guess. was hoping I could et 7/3 and place into gold like last season so I could just quit again

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
whelp, lost another game because our jungle didn't connect until 5 min in and out cait didn't know how to orb walk. 6/4 in placements, silver 2. time to start the grind I guess. was hoping I could et 7/3 and place into gold like last season so I could just quit again
I was spectating this game in bronze because it's actually way more fun than playing the game.

Here's the kicker. Blue team ends up winning the game. MF does not die at all. Ends up with the best K/D/A this game.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I just did my provs after finishing in low Silver last year and went 7-3 in mid-high Silver because I was duoing with a low Gold and got placed in Bronze 2 lol.

I don't really care about my climbing anymore, but I found it pretty funny that I won more than double the games I lost at a slightly higher elo than I was at last year, but the game decides I'm a worse player and drops even lower than I was before lol?

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
I just did my provs after finishing in low Silver last year and went 7-3 in mid-high Silver because I was duoing with a low Gold and got placed in Bronze 2 lol. I don't really care about my climbing anymore, but I found it pretty funny that I won more than double the games I lost at a slightly higher elo than I was at last year, but the game decides I'm a worse player and drops even lower than I was before lol?
Great time to enjoy playing the game e.g. not ranked just meeting people in normals.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Great time to enjoy Dynamic queue and "clubs" in ranked. You know what's better than being a lone man in a 4-man premade? Being a lone man in a double duo against a 5-man pre-made. Social experimentation at its finest which duo do you side with when both of them are at odds with one another?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Great time to enjoy Dynamic queue and "clubs" in ranked. You know what's better than being a lone man in a 4-man premade? Being a lone man in a double duo against a 5-man pre-made. Social experimentation at its finest which duo do you side with when both of them are at odds with one another?
I'm going to be mostly duoing or triple queueing so I won't really be having those problems.

I find it hilarious how I was always told that I needed tank boots on tanks and bruisers because the tank stats are essential, but now everyone gets CDR or swifties. Being more gold efficient doesn't the fact that you don't have those tank stats anymore lol. Funny how those stats were apparently essential before but now aren't because another stat is more gold efficient lol?

Also Rumble being a jungler now is hilarious, mostly because he was always good in the jungle, and his clear speed was fine.

Don't think I like the Shen rework though. The fact he's more polarising now means he's no longer just a safe blindpick anymore. He's also straight up worse as a support, his new W is super overrated for supporting. Even his jungling might not be better because although he clears quicker he's lost the ability to jungle indefinitely because he lost his sustain.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
RIP me.

I've gotten 7-3, 6-4, and 7-3 respectively in Season 4, 5, and 6 placements. I got in Bronze III, Bronze II, and Bronze III, and have climbed to mid Silver every season. I would try to get to gold, but I honestly don't have the motivation, nor do I have the time to play this game as much as I used to.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
RIP me.

I've gotten 7-3, 6-4, and 7-3 respectively in Season 4, 5, and 6 placements. I got in Bronze III, Bronze II, and Bronze III, and have climbed to mid Silver every season. I would try to get to gold, but I honestly don't have the motivation, nor do I have the time to play this game as much as I used to.
I don't understand why they don't just place you in the MMR that you did your provisionals in, with room for movement up or down depending on how well you did.

Having bad MMR from last season doesn't justify getting dropped if you've demonstrated in your promos that you're successful at a higher level of play lol.

Top Bottom